Thread: OT Computer Memory Question

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OT Computer Memory Question

I was wondering how I would find out how much memory my computer could handle?

I have an HP 700 mhz celeron processor, ME opperating system, running on 256 MB of memory. I know, I should just upgrade, but the wife isn't too keen on that right now. I can't run more than 2 programs at once without it freaking out. Will it take more memory, or do I have other problems that memory won't fix.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: OT Computer Memory Question

Have you Tried Looking up your model on the manufactuers site ? It might be tough and your model maybe too old but some of them list specs for model numbers , you might have to do alot of searching to find what your looking for.

also since you have a older computer your gonna have to use SDRAM PC-133 , you need to know also if you have another slot open to add more ram or if you just have to get one bigger stick , I assume you would like to move up another 256mb for a total of 512mb.

Also you will probably notice PC-133 is gonna be abit more expensive, I looked for a stick of PC 133 256 mb and it's anywhere from 45.00 for a no name brand to 80.00 for a name brand , for me I always buy quality ram and I feel that's very important and you will have less compatiablity issues with a namebrand vs a Generic.

More memory should help your problem , but this is just my opinion Windows ME is the Worst OS yes even worse than Win95 , 98 SE is better , 2000 is Great , Xp is Awesome.

Upgrading would be the Best but I see that maybe outta the question.

The easy way to do this is go to www.crucial.com and use their memory selecter and it was tell you how much you can put into that system and pull up the guaranteed memory they sell for that system. I've ordered from them and I recommened them to dipperdunk so maybe he'll chime in here. If you haven't put more memory in your system already then what crucial tells you should be correct. They're owned by Micron and sell Micron memory, it's good quality.

Have you Tried Looking up your model on the manufactuers site ? It might be tough and your model maybe too old but some of them list specs for model numbers , you might have to do alot of searching to find what your looking for.

also since you have a older computer your gonna have to use SDRAM PC-133 , you need to know also if you have another slot open to add more ram or if you just have to get one bigger stick , I assume you would like to move up another 256mb for a total of 512mb.

Also you will probably notice PC-133 is gonna be abit more expensive, I looked for a stick of PC 133 256 mb and it's anywhere from 45.00 for a no name brand to 80.00 for a name brand , for me I always buy quality ram and I feel that's very important and you will have less compatiablity issues with a namebrand vs a Generic
    Hmm time to sell some of my old stock then

if he can findout what the mobo is, we can tell the options, however, every penny spend on a machine with those specks is more or less a waste of money, running more programs at the same time will simply not be solved by adding ram, most programs are capable of using cached mem anyway.

Save the mullah, put it in a lil box, take it out when you have enough for a new machine would be a far more sensible solution.

If you can let me know the specs of the board, i can see if i have some stuff laying around.

try looking 1. at boot up, what BIOS/mobo it adverstises. and 2. under start/controlpanel, system , hardware, specs
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Here's the thread from dipper, might be of use here.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2708

And Crucial will give you the specs for the memory required if you want to post that and see if able has something around. Hell, I might have some PC133 SDRAM lying around as well.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Crucial is nuts for what they want for 1 256 mb of PC133 119.99 , Hell I could build a low end gaming machine for $500.00

I'm building my new computer now. It's going to be uber-fast.
    How fast?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Thanks guys. I'll check those things out and see. I probably won't be doing anything soon. Maybe I will get lucky soon and it will just die. I was hoping that had happened when the power pack burnt up last year, but no such luck.

i went to the crucial site, and guess what? I keep getting an error message when I try to run their scanner. I think it is trying to tell me something. n:

I'm building my new computer now. It's going to be uber-fast.
    Fun, isn't it? I built this PC 6 months ago; 3.0Ghz 800mhz bus, 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM; I'm happy with the speed.

But I actually think I'm gonna get another 1GB of RAM; with these pacers videos I'm assembling, I could use it.

I'm a price/performance junkie... I never buy top-o'-the-line parts. It's like buying a new car. You just don't get good value.

I'm about to upgrade my mobo/cpu... I'm currently running an Athlon 1800, but I'm about to go to a 2600. The local Fry's has an Athlon special every week... you can consistently get an Athlon XP 2600+ and a mobo for around $80. I'll need new RAM, but all of my other parts are good. I'll pick up a new nVidia card soon as well... my GeForce 2 128 is starting to show its age.

Today I bought two DVD-ROMs ($18 apiece), one DVD+-R+-RW ($70), and one 120gig 7200/8 Maxtor HD ($60).

If you're a value junkie, there's two things to remember: Never buy ATI, and never buy Intel.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yeh, Kerosene and everyone else were very helpful; just check out that thread from the pub it has some good tips for installation etc.,, for newbies. The crucial site is great for determining specs; I downloaded the belarc scanner from that site and they had execellent service I recieved my order fast and everything was perfect.