Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default And Jr. wonders why I said "Don't even think about it"

Harvard or Yale that is.........

Cambridge Officials Put a Stop to Boy Scout Drive to Aid Troops in Iraq
    Friday, November 16, 2007

E-Mail Print Digg This! del.icio.us
    CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — The city that's home to Harvard and MIT solidified its nickname as "The People's Republic of Cambridge" when it put a stop to a Boy Scout troop's Election Day drive to collect care packages for American soldiers in Iraq, claiming it was "political."

“We just wanted to make a lot of troops happy,” Scout Patrick O’Connor told the Boston Herald.

The big-hearted Scouts from Cambridge Troop 45 had placed donation boxes at the city's 33 polling stations in hopes of collecting toiletries, magazines, candy and other items after one of O'Connor's relatives was injured in an IED explosion while serving in Iraq.

But someone complained to the city, allegedly claiming the boxes were a “political statement,” and the boxes were removed.

Click here to read the Boston Herald story.

“I was devastated that someone would think to take (the donation boxes) out,” O'Connor told the newspaper.

“This was not about supporting the war or any politician or political view," troop committee chairman Jamisean Patterson told the Herald. "This was supporting the brave men and women who are stationed overseas.”

Patterson said the Scouts obtained a verbal OK from the city election commission and polling station officials.

Cambridge Vice Mayor Timothy J. Toomey Jr. told the Herald that a breakdown in communication, rather than malice, led to the boxes being removed.

“Boy Scouts Troop 45’s efforts to support our troops are a benefit for the entire community, and the council will be working with them to ensure that their goals are fully realized,” he said in a written statement.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311908,00.html
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: And Jr. wonders why I said "Don't even think about it"

Too bad their drive was stopped. If they tried that here they would let them do it. The only problem is, they would only collect about one box of stuff total because noone comes to vote.

I bet the person that complained was one of the people running for office and didn't want to risk losing in case the Boy Scout drive brought out more voters than usual.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too bad their drive was stopped. If they tried that here they would let them do it. The only problem is, they would only collect about one box of stuff total because noone comes to vote.

I bet the person that complained was one of the people running for office and didn't want to risk losing in case the Boy Scout drive brought out more voters than usual.

LMAO
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's disgraceful. This country has completely lost its common sense in favor of political correctness.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes that is incredibly stupid.

But if your kid got into Harvard or Yale you should let them go. Both are amazing schools. Just be quiet about your politics for a few years. It will pay off when he has enough power to win elections and unseat lefty goons

I'm from Cambridge...and we're not all this bad. This is kind of "was it really necessary?" Eh. I'm not particularly bothered by it. More vexed if not just completely nonplussed.

But this is why foxnews is trash at best:
    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    The city that's home to Harvard and MIT solidified its nickname as "The People's Republic of Cambridge" when it put a stop to a Boy Scout troop's Election Day drive to collect care packages for American soldiers in Iraq, claiming it was "political."
    That's a nice, subtle little jab equating Cambrige-residents and anyone against the war to communists.
    The big-hearted Scouts from Cambridge Troop 45 had placed donation boxes at the city's 33 polling stations in hopes of collecting toiletries, magazines, candy and other items after one of O'Connor's relatives was injured in an IED explosion while serving in Iraq.
    Any reasonable editor would have torn through this. Again, if you are pro-war then you are big-hearted. Otherwise = communist.

Thank God for the Boston Herald (I never thought I'd be saying that).

Quote Originally Posted by Herald
    Marsha Weinerman, executive director of the city’s election commission, confirmed she received a complaint on Election Day, “Because I did not have confirmation that the Boy Scouts had obtained permission to put their boxes in the buildings, the boxes were removed.”
    State law prohibits political statements pertaining to a particular election within 150 feet of any polling station.
    But there is no law preventing someone promoting an unrelated political message within 150 feet of any polling station.
    Cambridge Vice Mayor Timothy J. Toomey Jr. said a breakdown in communication, rather than malice, led to the boxes being removed.
    Boy Scouts Troop 45’s efforts to support our troops are a benefit for the entire community, and the council will be working with them to ensure that their goals are fully realized,” he said in a written statement.

http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona...icleid=1045046
    So apparently the whole thing was about a miscommunication in terms of election-violations. That's all. It's ok. Cutting out a major part of the story isn't exactly something new.
    Last edited by rexnom; 11-17-2007 at 12:06 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I'm from Cambridge...and we're not all this bad. This is kind of "was it really necessary?" Eh. I'm not particularly bothered by it. More vexed if not just completely nonplussed.

But this is why foxnews is trash at best:

That's a nice, subtle little jab equating Cambrige-residents and anyone against the war to communists.
    Any reasonable editor would have torn through this. Again, if you are pro-war then you are big-hearted. Otherwise = communist.

Thank God for the Boston Herald (I never thought I'd be saying that).

So apparently the whole thing was about a miscommunication in terms of election-violations. That's all. It's ok. Cutting out a major part of the story isn't exactly something new.

Explain it to a bunch of kids that had their charitable project jerked out from under them. They may understand, but the first impression remains.

And the term "Peoples Republic of Cambridge" goes back to the Viet Nam era and thus pre-dates Fox News, they didn't invent it, merely expanded on it.

As for the anti-war=communist....meh, Non-anti-war=baby eating, dog kicking, war mongering Capitalist.

Explain it to a bunch of kids that had their charitable project jerked out from under them. They may understand, but the first impression remains.

And the term "Peoples Republic of Cambridge" goes back to the Viet Nam era and thus pre-dates Fox News, they didn't invent it, merely expanded on it.

As for the anti-war=communist....meh, Non-anti-war=bab y eating, dog kicking, war mongering Capitalist.
    TOTALLY agree with that

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And that makes it okay for what is supposed to be a reputable news source to use that term?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post

Explain exactly how boy scouts attempting to collect donations for the troops are not "big hearted."

It said nothing about the scouts supporting the war, merely the soldiers.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"