Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think we may need to shut down marquis...

Default I think we may need to shut down marquis...

I saw him rubbing his knee on the sidelines late in the game last night. I really do think it's affecting him. It reminds me of last year where he would play on the 2nd end of a back to back. I don't know if we can afford to do it but i think we might need to. And JO maybe as well needs to sit. I know it's early but we might as well rest him now and try to make a run for the playoffs late in the season. It's obvious they are both not healthy.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I think we may need to shut down marquis...

If Quis does indeed have tendonitis, which I suspect, it never goes away and never really gets better. He either has to learn to play through it or call it a career.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Marquis has quite a fat contract. He'll play through it, even if it means playing 35-40 games a season.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marquis has quite a fat contract.
    Don't think so.

We got him for $6.4 million this year and $6.9 million for the next. We also have a team option (at $7.4 million) for 2009-10.

That's pretty much right in line with other flawed perimeter players like Stephen Jackson, Hedo Turkoglu, Ricky Davis, Antonio Daniels, Tim Thomas, Vlad Rad and Bobby Jackson.

You might expect a slight discount based on health, but that was a known risk when we signed him. Regardless, we're only talking about maybe $1 million less per and it's only for two years...so that figure is pretty irrelevant to any practical salary cap conversation, or trade value expectation.

Plus, out of those dudes listed above, Quis, IMO, probably has the best upside if he can stay on the court.

His contract is certainly reasonable, IMO.

Persistent soreness,
    Never gets any better.
    That's life in the pros.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    You might expect a slight discount based on health, but that was a known risk when we signed him. Regardless, we're only talking about maybe $1 million less per and it's only for two years...so that figure is pretty irrelevant to any practical salary cap conversation, or trade value expectation.
    We didn't sign him... we traded Austin Croshere's expiring contract for him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    We didn't sign him... we traded Austin Croshere's expiring contract for him.
    If your point is that my long-winded posts to correct an inaccuracy in someone else's posts should themselves be accurate...well...um...geez...yeah...so...

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    If your point is that my long-winded posts to correct an inaccuracy in someone else's posts should themselves be accurate...well...um...geez...yeah...so...
    Your point stands. Quis has more of a chance to help this team than Austin.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Persistent soreness,
    Never gets any better.
    That's life in the pros.
    Thank you.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If Quis does indeed have tendonitis, which I suspect, it never goes away and never really gets better. He either has to learn to play through it or call it a career.
    Pretty sure it never gets any better. If he can't deal with it and is going to be in and out of the lineup a lot, he may as well call it a career.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

My point is he'll never call it career and just walk away from the money that could be made, he'd have to be absolutely crazy.

And our 4th highest paid player on a team with a few disagreeable contracts may only be playing 45 or so games a year. That bothers me. Call me picky if you'd like.

He is out tonight at least...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS04/71113049

Indiana Pacers swingman Marquis Daniels will miss tonight's game against the Boston Celtics with a sore left knee.

Daniels, one of the first players off the bench, is bothered by same injury that caused him to miss the final 25 games last season. He sat out last Friday's game at Charlotte.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said they'll monitor Daniels' situation after Wednesday's game at Washington. O'Brien didn't rule out Daniels possibly getting an MRI.

Quote Originally Posted by AB1077 View Post
    He is out tonight at least...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS04/71113049

Indiana Pacers swingman Marquis Daniels will miss tonight's game against the Boston Celtics with a sore left knee.

Daniels, one of the first players off the bench, is bothered by same injury that caused him to miss the final 25 games last season. He sat out last Friday's game at Charlotte.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said they'll monitor Daniels' situation after Wednesday's game at Washington. O'Brien didn't rule out Daniels possibly getting an MRI.

Yet from 11-09
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...551/1004/RSS02

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Indiana Pacers' bench has taken another hit.

Swingman Marquis Daniels will miss tonight's game against the Charlotte Bobcats with a left knee injury.
    Daniels, who is averaging 4.8 points and 2.5 rebounds, missed part of the preseason and the final 25 games last season with a knee injury. The two knee injuries were not related.
    Shawne Williams and Kareem Rush will likely pick up Daniels' minutes.
    The Pacers are already without forward Ike Diogu (strained calf) for at least a month.
    The Pacers host Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and the Denver Nuggets on Saturday night at Conseco Fieldhouse.
    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I find it less than shocking that we aren't being told the truth by the team and their medical staff. They don't want the reaction of "here we go again with the injuries" from all of the fans that they are trying to win back.

Quote Originally Posted by AB1077 View Post
    I find it less than shocking that we aren't being told the truth by the team and their medical staff. They don't want the reaction of "here we go again with the injuries" from all of the fans that they are trying to win back.
    ...yet by not telling the truth (or stretching things), that is exactly what they are doing.

You have a guy with a history of knee problems and then try and tell us THIS time it's unrelated? The problem is that they've went to the well so often with this type of thing (see: Bender - Altho he's just the poster child for it and not the sole player in this category), that there can be no one that looks at these reports without looking cross-eyed at them. Who accepts them at face value anymore?

Do other teams do this to this degree?

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

our entire training staff should be fired and replaced. every year it's the same story with this team and injuries. i love how they're trying to play it down like quis has some new mystery knee injury. it's blatantly obvious it's the same injury as last year, it's just not been rehabilitated properly.

i find it hard to believe that it's just coincidence that we're the most injury plagued team year in and year out.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    My point is he'll never call it career and just walk away from the money that could be made, he'd have to be absolutely crazy.
    He wouldn't have to. If he can get it deemed a career-ending injury, then he can get his money from insurance instead of from the Pacers.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If it's necessary I hope that's what he does.

But remember how long it took to carve out such an agreement with Bender a couple of years ago? I remember him actually playing like 2 or 3 games his last season before his injuries were deemed career ending. And I'm pretty sure his salary that year counted against the cap.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Yet from 11-09

-Bball
    Quis will henceforth be known as JBII.

I'd actually try to trade him now while we still can.......

Quote Originally Posted by timid View Post
    I'd actually try to trade him now while we still can.......
    Do you really think he would pass a physical for another team or that the market would be high for him after missing a significant portion of the past season (and this pre-and season too)?

I have a feeling the injury is why we were able to make the trade to get him in the first place. We rolled the dice... and lost... so far...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Well, since it seems half of PD has written his career off as over, I guess thing left to do is blame UB.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Do you really think he would pass a physical for another team or that the market would be high for him after missing a significant portion of the past season (and this pre-and season too)?

I have a feeling the injury is why we were able to make the trade to get him in the first place. We rolled the dice... and lost... so far...

-Bball
    There's always some team that will bite.......I figure we could at least get a decent player for him......Somebody who's riding the bench for someone else because that team has too many people playing the position? I don't know.......Anythings better than useless bodies on the roster....

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

They held him out last so he could play tonight.

He'll be in and out of the lineup all year if he's healthy enough to survive doing that through the rest of the season.

We probably won't be able to trade him, either. Again, he is our mess.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    They held him out last so he could play tonight.

He'll be in and out of the lineup all year if he's healthy enough to survive doing that through the rest of the season.

We probably won't be able to trade him, either. Again, he is our mess.
    That sort of thing just annoys me. It bothers me that one of our contributing players for this year, and next year, is only going to get to play in 2 out of every 5 games or so for those two years.

It's especially frustrating because I really like Quis' game.