Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A realistic discussion about Jermaine O'Neal

Banned

Default Re: A realistic discussion about Jermaine O'Neal

JO has always talked a bigger game than he played...even back when he was a good player. Now that he's almost completely ineffective, he still feels the need to boast about what he's GOING to do, rather than going out and just doing it.

I think he has self-esteem issues. Seriously.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I said it last summer with all the JO trade rumors, and I'll say it again. JO will be washed up in 2 years (now its 1-1/2 years and counting). Too many miles on those long bony 29 year old legs. He just cant get over his nagging injuries, like Quisy's injury, it just is not going to go away. JO will never take us to the finals. Ever.

With that being said, I think he needs to get healthy enough before the trade deadline, to increase his trade value. Right now its the lowest its been since before he came to the Pacers. Maybe a team like the Clips, or now the Wizards, or even maybe the Mavs will need help at that time to make their playoff run. I would hope that we could get a young quick shooting guard, who might be able to be a lock down perimeter defender. Bynum is obviously out of the question now anyway. And with Ike's promising start to this season, and Hulk's better play this season, and the energizer bunny Jeff all over the place as always.

We are simply a better team when JO does not play. The team moves in Obie's offense much much better. That should make LB's decision even easier. The transformation already has happened with Granger becoming the go to guy now anyway.

Mood

I have to agree now that it may be a good time to trade JO. I hate to say that because I have been saying "Nooooo" all along, but he just doesn't fit the system. It would probably be best for both the team and JO. A good young 2 and a group of expirings would be ok to me, because I would like to see what a line-up of Tin man, Dun, Granger, SWill and Murph/Foster could do?

Anyone have any ideas? I would like some sort of anything involving Arenas, but that is pushing it. If we could get a lottery of expriings, maybe going after him next year could be an option?

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said it last summer with all the JO trade rumors, and I'll say it again. JO will be washed up in 2 years (now its 1-1/2 years and counting). Too many miles on those long bony 29 year old legs.

I always wonder if it is number of years in the league or age that makes a player decline and of course you have genetic wonders like Reggie. It also depends on the type of game you play, predicated on athleticism or skill moreso.

I am starting to completely agree with you on this. When did JO get so old, it just snuck up on me.

Now like alot of declining players he can still have nights were he is similar to his best, but it gets further and farther between (See Shaq the last 3 maybe 4 years).

I won't get into what you should or even can do with him, realistically, to much possible or not possible depending on your perspective.

As far as the state of the Pacers relative to him though, it still seems to me that the players they have now are at best a second best player on a good team, I still think you have to somehow land a top pick (kid from IU?) or your probably just treading water for the next 5 years, imho.

Lastly, this team reminds me of alot of old Arizona State teams that lived and died by shooting and can blow people out and look great, but they get in the tournament and have an off game and they are disposed of by a lesser team. Brunner had an interesting stat on Dunleavy in wins and losses and his shooting percentage.

"Mike Dunleavy has averaged 22.0 points on 42-of-84 shooting (.500) in five victories but 11.4 points on 27-of-71 shooting (.380) in seven losses"

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/preview_071123.html

This is kinda how I see this team as a whole, at this point.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I have to agree now that it may be a good time to trade JO. I hate to say that because I have been saying "Nooooo" all along, but he just doesn't fit the system. It would probably be best for both the team and JO. A good young 2 and a group of expirings would be ok to me, because I would like to see what a line-up of Tin man, Dun, Granger, SWill and Murph/Foster could do?

Anyone have any ideas? I would like some sort of anything involving Arenas, but that is pushing it. If we could get a lottery of expriings, maybe going after him next year could be an option?
    Oh my!!!! I would trade for Arenas in a new york minute, even with him being out for 3 months. Hibachi is the third best guard in the NBA right now. And you could argue him being equal to DWade at 2. That trade would never happen though. I think we would have to sweeten the deal for the Wiz though, as opposed to them sweetening the deal for us. It'd have to be a first rounder and / or one of our young players (Ike, Shawne or Danny).

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I always wonder if it is number of years in the league or age that makes a player decline and of course you have genetic wonders like Reggie. It also depends on the type of game you play, predicated on athleticism or skill moreso.

I am starting to completely agree with you on this. When did JO get so old, it just snuck up on me.

Now like alot of declining players he can still have nights were he is similar to his best, but it gets further and farther between (See Shaq the last 3 maybe 4 years).

I won't get into what you should or even can do with him, realistically, to much possible or not possible depending on your perspective.

As far as the state of the Pacers relative to him though, it still seems to me that the players they have now are at best a second best player on a good team, I still think you have to somehow land a top pick (kid from IU?) or your probably just treading water for the next 5 years, imho.

Lastly, this team reminds me of alot of old Arizona State teams that lived and died by shooting and can blow people out and look great, but they get in the tournament and have an off game and they are disposed of by a lesser team. Brunner had an interesting stat on Dunleavy in wins and losses and his shooting percentage.

"Mike Dunleavy has averaged 22.0 points on 42-of-84 shooting (.500) in five victories but 11.4 points on 27-of-71 shooting (.380) in seven losses"

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/preview_071123.html

This is kinda how I see this team as a whole, at this point.
    The wear and tear on interior players is far more than wings / guards. Like you said, there are exceptions. What is it about 20,000 minutes for him of jumping for rebounds, cutting, stepping into charges. Plus, he has a bigger upper frame put on top of those gangly legs. He's top heavy.

If we do indeed trade for expirings / second rate players for JO, I certainly hope they can land a #1 pick with them. Maybe pair our pick and that pick to move up to get him. Eric Gordon is the bomb man. He has ice in his veins. PLUS, it appears he can play perimeter defense pretty good (at least against college players now).

Thanks for finding that info on DunDun's stats for wins / losses. I had been wondering about that. He seems to disappear at times, especially when he is being man handled by another star player whom he is guarding. Case in point, he disappeared vs. Kobe (not that he was guarding Kobe, but it affected him nonetheless), and played well against the similar type player Peja. I still think DunDun is a very important part of our team though.

It drives me crazy reading all this "JO doesn't fit in JOB's system"! He's only missed what 1...2 games? And yet everybody seems to forget that he was part of those high scoring first quarters/first halves for at least 8 of the last 12 games. No, it wasn't his scoring that led the way, but then again JOB's system ISN'T designed to propel low-post players. It's designed for our Guards! Please consider that the next time this "JO doesn't fit in JOB's system" mess begins to take root.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    It drives me crazy reading all this "JO doesn't fit in JOB's system"! He's only missed what 1...2 games? And yet everybody seems to forget that he was part of those high scoring first quarters/first halves for at least 8 of the last 12 games. No, it wasn't his scoring that led the way, but then again JOB's system ISN'T designed to propel low-post players. It's designed for our Guards! Please consider that the next time this "JO doesn't fit in JOB's system" mess begins to take root.
    We absolutely don't have enough evidence either way...Jo hasn't been healthy, and too few games to make a judgement on anyway. As far as that goes, there have been games when very few of the Pacers looked like they fitted in JOB's system. It's been a period of adjustment, and an injury-interrupted period at that.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

kester99,

You're is the first post other than my own that actually rings of some truth and common sense.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    We absolutely don't have enough evidence either way...Jo hasn't been healthy, and too few games to make a judgement on anyway. As far as that goes, there have been games when very few of the Pacers looked like they fitted in JOB's system. It's been a period of adjustment, and an injury-interrupted period at that.

That's me. buddy...I'm full of that stuff.

Edit: I apparently don't know how to use that quote thingamajig though.
    Last edited by kester99; 11-23-2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: rank stupidity
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!