Thread: Freeney might be done for the season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unhappy Freeney might be done for the season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3108696

The Indianapolis Colts already expect Dwight Freeney not to play for several weeks because of a left foot injury, but now there's reason to believe the Pro Bowl defensive end's season might be over.

Though more tests have to be completed for the team to make a final determination, a source said Tuesday that Freeney might have suffered a Lisfranc injury in Sunday's loss to the San Diego Chargers. If additional tests verify the initial diagnosis of the midfoot injury, the source said Freeney will need season-ending surgery.

Players who have suffered Lisfranc injuries, even those not needing surgical repair, have needed months to rehabilitate.

In the wake of Freeney getting hurt, the Colts didn't take any chances; on Monday, they placed a waiver claim on defensive end Simeon Rice. The 34-year-old Rice was let go by the Broncos on Friday after he requested his release.

On his weekly radio show Monday night, Colts president Bill Polian said the initial timetable for Freeney's recovery would be three to four weeks.

The Colts signed Freeney in July to a six-year deal, paying an average of $12 million. He has 21 tackles and 3˝ sacks in Indianapolis' 7-2 start.

Freeney experienced a lot of pain Sunday when he suffered the injury. He had to be carted to the locker room and left Qualcomm Stadium wearing a boot. He told friends he could have been hurt when a Chargers blocker stepped on his foot when he was making a spin move.

Swelling in the foot is preventing a final determination of the injury. But if the prognosis is a Lisfranc, Freeney would be finished for this season, although the prognosis of a return in the 2008 would be good.

The Pacers and Colts are absolutely jinxed this season.

Default Re: Freeney might be done for the season

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3108696

The Pacers and Colts are absolutely jinxed this season.

Must be something in the water. This isn't good news though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Uh duh? We knew this as soon as a guy like Simeon Rice was signed if we were being realistic.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I'm so glad we got that Super Bowl last year.

Indystar reporting this now, too.

My gut says that we can't repeat without Freeney.

This sucks. This team, if it were anywhere close to full capacity, would have a great shot at repeating. Now, even if everyone else comes back, we're going to be missing one of the two cornerstones of our D (no offense to Gary or Marlin). Bah.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

It would be tough to repeat with him. Without him? Damn near impossible, the pass rush won't be there, and good QBs will be able to camp out back there and pick your D apart.

Since they have to wait for the swelling to go down there is still plenty of hope.

Let's see wasn't the rumor Marvin's injury is much worse than being reported and he won't be back? Wasn't Dallas Clark finished last year? Fine let the football Gods get the injuries out of the way now just make us healthy at the end of the season.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    It would be tough to repeat with him. Without him? Damn near impossible, the pass rush won't be there, and good QBs will be able to camp out back there and pick your D apart.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. No one will be camping anywhere near the Colt's D with or without Freeney. Mathis is still on the other end and the Colt's have lots of guys that can still bring heat. Keyunta Dawson will see more time, along with Rice, Jeff Charleston and Josh Thomas.

Oh my God, Brodie Coyle is going to have a field day against our suddenly pathetic Defense this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about. No one will be camping anywhere near the Colt's D with or without Freeney. Mathis is still on the other end and the Colt's have lots of guys that can still bring heat. Keyunta Dawson will see more time, along with Rice, Jeff Charleston and Josh Thomas.

Oh my God, Brodie Coyle is going to have a field day against our suddenly pathetic Defense this weekend!
    So you are saying the Colts defense wont miss a beat with Freeney out of the lineup? Mathis is going to get all the double teams that Freeney was previously getting. I think this is a huge blow to the Colts defense as they rely heavily on the pass rush of their front 4.

Freeney is done for the year. The Colts are going to put him on IR. Very unfortunate..especially with it being a Lisfranc injury. Kevin Jones of the Lions suffered the same injury towards the end of last year and he wasn't back in the rotation for the Lions until about week 5-6 of this year.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...042/0/SPORTS04

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    So you are saying the Colts defense wont miss a beat with Freeney out of the lineup? Mathis is going to get all the double teams that Freeney was previously getting. I think this is a huge blow to the Colts defense as they rely heavily on the pass rush of their front 4.
    Agreed. I think we'll still be able to pressure the bad offensive lines, but I'll have to wait and see until I'm quite as confident as MS in our Dwightless D-line. We're going to miss all the attention that he draws. And while the rest of our guys are alright players, I have a hard time thinking that even our best lineup for pass-rushing downs (probably Rice, Dawson, Brock or Johnson, Mathis) could get pressure on the Pats' o-line.

On the bright side, however: Dwight was playing the run (somewhat) well, but I think we'll manage to find guys that can play it just as well. It's only the pass rush that we'll miss, I think.

Although... if Rice can return to something close to his old form and bring enough heat that he draws some attention away from Mathis, then maybe we have a chance. Here's to hoping...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Agreed. I think we'll still be able to pressure the bad offensive lines, but I'll have to wait and see until I'm quite as confident as MS in our Dwightless D-line. We're going to miss all the attention that he draws. And while the rest of our guys are alright players, I have a hard time thinking that even our best lineup for pass-rushing downs (probably Rice, Dawson, Brock or Johnson, Mathis) could get pressure on the Pats' o-line.

On the bright side, however: Dwight was playing the run (somewhat) well, but I think we'll manage to find guys that can play it just as well. It's only the pass rush that we'll miss, I think.

Although... if Rice can return to something close to his old form and bring enough heat that he draws some attention away from Mathis, then maybe we have a chance. Here's to hoping...
    The Colts pass rush just goes from very good to average at this point. If Rice or whoever else you can fill in does a good job, I still think the Colts have one of the better defensive lines in the league..just not the top pass rushing one anymore. Losing Freeney will obviously hurt your team, but to say that it will be impossible for the Colts to repeat is blasphemous. As long as they get most of their other guys healed up before the playoffs, they will be in good shape to compete. Hell, they still scare me more then any other team in the league...even the Steelers who are very good.

Are you implying that the Colts won't miss a beat without him? If this were true, then what would be the point of paying a guy 72 million dollars if you are just fine with or without him? Obviously the Colts top brass would disagree about his importance to the team.

I agree that I think they will be ok. But there will certainly be times he will be missed.

Hope Simeon can get back to his old form... at least for a the playoff run

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

This is like losing Marvin or Joseph on O.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This is like losing Marvin or Joseph on O.

And unfortunately we know what that feels like as well.

I wish there was a way to put you on ignore in this forum only. I enjoy your posts in the political forum, but I wouldn't quit your day job and start analyzing football if I were you.

Freeney is one of the best pass rushers in the league. Hell, he may be the best in the league. You lose a guy like that, you don't just roll with the punches, and to insinuate that you will makes you a blatant homer. You and Lamey should go out for drinks, I hear Champs has some Colt's Kool-Aid that's pretty good if you chug it.

As for Brodie Croyle, you missed the part where I said *good* QBs, preferably with good offensive lines. Unlike you, I'm under no delusion that my team is a dominant team chock full of All-Pros who just haven't gotten any field time yet. I have hopes that Brodie Croyle will be an above average QB someday. And I know Damon Huard is a mediocre QB best suited to "minding the store" while your starting QB heals an injury. Nice attempt at trolling, though, I'm sure you'll be disappointed that I didn't rise to take the homer bait.

We'll probably send blitzers more often which will leave us more vulnerable to the deep ball. Thats where not having Freeney will really hurt us.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

He injured his foot doing his patented spin move.

Mark my words, he'll never be the same again.

Lets not throw away our repeat just yet. Freeney is our one of our key pieces but, if I had to choose Freeney or Bob Sanders going down I'd take Freeney. Another positive thinking is, we did get Simeon even though he wasn't effective in Denver everyone steps it up when they are on a championship team. Our offense is still going to be there and our defense isn't destroyed by any means. It is damaged but not destroyed. It is not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    We'll probably send blitzers more often which will leave us more vulnerable to the deep ball. Thats where not having Freeney will really hurt us.
    By way of scouting report, this week, that shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as Damon Huard is playing. He's a good game manager, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but he's not really a guy who can chuck a 60 yard bomb against a blitz.

Now, if Croyle is in the game, he'll throw more interceptions, but he's got a cannon for an arm, and Bowe is a fine, fine receiver.