Thread: Getting a new PG

Default Getting a new PG

I think that PG, not SG, is the biggest weakness on this team. I'm going to compile a list of (potential) starting caliber PG's that may be available. Then I'll see about trade ideas that may work for us to get them. Input would be greatly appreciated.

I'll start out west:

Houston PG's: Rafer Alston, Mike James, Steve Francis, Luther Head
    Dallas: Devin Harris, Jason Terry
    Golden State: Monta Ellis
    Clippers: Brevin Knight, Shaun Livingston
    Lakers: Jordan Farmar, Javaris Crittenton
    Memphis: Damon Stoudamire, Kyle Lowry
    Phoenix: Leandro Barbosa, Marcus Banks
    Portland: Jarrett Jack, Steve Blake, Sergio Rodriguez
    Sacramento: John Salmons
    Seattle: Luke Ridnour, Earl Watson, Delonte West

Now for the East:

Atlanta: Speedy Claxton, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue
    Chicago: Kirk Hinrich, Chris Duhon
    Miami: Jason Williams, Smush Parker
    Milwaukee: Charlie Bell
    New Jersey: Jason Kidd, Marcus Williams
    New York: Stephon Marbury
    Orlando: Carlos Arroyo
    Philadelphia: Andre Miller, Louis Williams
    Toronto: TJ Ford, Jose Calderon

There's a bunch of guys. Not all are starting caliber PGs. Some could become starting PG's, some we could get by with while waiting for the heir apparent. Some are undersized SG's who could play the point in O'Brien's system. I'll post some trade ideas later. Please feel free to post some of your own.

My top 5 from this list:

1. Hinrich
    2. Devin Harris
    3. Kyle Lowry
    4. Jose Calderon
    5. Delonte West
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: Getting a new PG

Lowry and Calderon are probably the most obtainable of those guys, but obtainable doesn't mean that those teams are looking to give them away. They'd want something of value back in a trade because those guys are good assets.

I just don't know what Memphis really needs from the Pacers roster right now. They have plenty of forwards. And no, David Harrison wouldn't cut it in a deal.

I think you could probably get Calderon for Shawne Williams, if you were willing to offer him up. I wouldn't do that if I was Indy, but that's the only motivation Toronto would have to trade him to the Pacers.

West could also possibly be had, but with guys like Durant, Green, Wilcox and Collison, the Sonics are already stacked at the positions that the Pacers would offer as trade chips.

Hinrich and Devin Harris will cost an arm and a leg. I don't think their respective teams would trade those guys unless an offer was ridiculously in their favor.
    Last edited by d_c; 11-13-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Possible trades with Toronto to get Calderon:

1. Ike Diogu for Jose Calderon

2. Ike Diogu & Travis Diener for Calderon and Joey Graham or Darrick Martin

3. Ike Diogu & Jamaal Tinsley for Calderon and Nesterovic

4. Foster & Graham for Calderon & Kris Humphries

5. Shawne Williams + Graham for Calderon.

I like Calderon quite a bit. I think that he has all the tools to be a very good PG in the NBA. The fact that he is a free agent after this year and that TJ Ford is the starter in Toronto may make him available.

The Raptors are thin in the Frontcourt, so bigs like Diogu and Foster would be attractive. With Diogu they get young talent in return for young talent. With Foster they get a proven veteran performer for the playoffs.

I'd do the first 4 of these scenarios. I think Shawne Williams is too much to give up for Calderon.

With Calderon gone the Raps need a backup PG. The trade with Diener solves that problem. With the Tinsley trade, the Pacers are obviously getting the lesser end of the deal talent-wise, but they're getting rid of $7 million in salary two years earlier when Nesterovic's contract expires.

With the Foster trade, the Pacers would be getting a young big with talent (Humphries) whose contract is up after this year. This would free up some money to retain Calderon.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

streets ahead

Houston PG's: Rafer Alston, Mike James, Steve Francis, Luther Head
    Im not sure what they need exactly but it is pretty clear they dont plan on using Francis or Luther very much. I have no interest in Francis and Im sure hed think likewise about the Pacers. Dude should have signed in LA. Im not interested in Rafer really after his overly interesting summer. Mike James I doubt is really available.

Dallas: Devin Harris, Jason Terry
    Terry is probably available at the right price. Problem is, unless that price is Troy Murphy I doubt wed want to get him.

Dont see him as available.

Clippers: Brevin Knight, Shaun Livingston
    Shaun would be a major gamble. This kid is a more talented version of Bender. He just seems to be brittle. Brevin is not really an answer.

Lakers: Jordan Farmar, Javaris Crittenton
    Javaris, would be nice prospect to include with Bynum. On his own I wouldnt understand getting him. Farmar has shown nice flashes this season but Im not convinced he is anything more than a career backup.

Memphis: Damon Stoudamire, Kyle Lowry
    Damon is more available than Lowry (unfortunately, I love Lowry). I dont know how I really feel about bringing him in. Seems like itd be a lateral move mostly.

Phoenix: Leandro Barbosa, Marcus Banks
    Barbosa is going nowhere unless Wade, Lebron or Kobe is involved. Banks given his strength is defense might actually do well in Jims system. Problem is wed be better having Foster shoot 3s than Banks.

Portland: Jarrett Jack, Steve Blake, Sergio Rodriguez
    Im fairly certain that Jack is the odd man out here, and Im thinking itd take Danny (or Dunleavy if Portlant added Raef or Darius) to get him. Their biggest need is a SF. I guess ultimately Id like to get Rudy F out of the deal too.

Sacramento: John Salmons
    Truth be told, I know very little about this guy. Isnt he more of a SF than a PG/SG? I dont think he has much of a jumper. I havent seen enough of him to really make an educated guess.

Seattle: Luke Ridnour, Earl Watson, Delonte West
    I really dont know what to make of Seattles PG situation right now. Watson had been starting but it looks like Luke will be the #1 with Delonte as the backup now. So Earl looks like the most obtainable. Seattle will want exp. contracts or prospects and they have durant and green at SF/SG so wed be talking Ike, probably. Ultimately I think Id prefer Delonte, but Earl wouldnt be bad either. Id rather have one of those two because theyre both better defenders than Luke.

Atlanta: Speedy Claxton, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue
    All available, none desirable. If I had to choose one, Id want Lue I suppose.

Chicago: Kirk Hinrich, Chris Duhon
    I highly doubt Kirk is available. Duhon probably but theyd want Ike.

Miami: Jason Williams, Smush Parker
    Next. JWills exp. contract would be nice, but Im not really a fan of either. Though I supposed Smush is a decent defender and more of a scoring PG that JOB might like. I dunno

Milwaukee: Charlie Bell
    If Milwaukee was interested in not having Charlie, they could have let Miami take him.

New Jersey: Jason Kidd, Marcus Williams
    I would love Kidd (even at his age) but its not happening. Marcus was supposedly the hold up in the JO to NJN so I dont think hes avail.

New York: Stephon Marbury
    Would not be in my top 10 options. But if NYK would take one of our bad contracts, Id consider it.

Orlando: Carlos Arroyo
    Not really a defender or a 3pt shooter.

Philadelphia: Andre Miller, Louis Williams
    I highly doubt Andre is available, but Id be interested. Louis Williams has had a couple of good games this season but is a SG in a PGs body. He lacks some basic PG skills that wed probably need.

Toronto: TJ Ford, Jose Calderon
    I dont really know about availability but I think both are solid.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Dont see him as available.
    Word on the street was that if Nellie was to come back (which he did), don't be surprised to see Ellis being shopped around.

I do think that point guard is our weakest position.

Guys i'd like to get from that list:

- Kyle Lowry
    I think he can be a fine player. Don't see what we have that Memphis would want though. However with Mike Conley on board I think that Lowry can be had.

- Jarett Jack
    Doesn't get much credit but I think he is a real solid point guard. Worth having on your team.

- Jordan Farmar
    Nice talent. I like his game. Not exactly for sure what we have to offer LA that they would want though.

- John Salmons
    Putting up killer numbers in Sacramento. Not sure that Salmons is exactly a pure point guard but he is a very good player.

- Luther Head
    Not really a point guard however this kid can light it up. Pretty quick. Excellant shooter. I think he can make a nice combo guard off the bench and with all of Houston's guards I think that Head can be had for a reasonable price.

Step 2 in this process is figuring out which of these guys would actually be an upgrade over Tinsley. There are two categories, guys who are better than Tinsley now, and guys who will be better than Tinsley in the next 2 seasons.

Here's what I think:

Devin Harris & Jason Terry (now)
    Monta Ellis (now)
    Brevin Knight (now)
    Farmar & Crittenton (future)
    Lowry (future, but close now)
    Barbosa (now)
    Jarrett Jack (now)
    Salmons (He's a PG like Quis is a PG)
    Delonte West (now)
    Hinrich (now)
    Kidd (now)