Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ummmmm...Marbury???????

Default Ummmmm...Marbury???????

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ks_might_.html

Would anyone here take a chance on Starbury? Just curious...
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 11-13-2007 at 06:12 PM. Reason: per poster's suggestions

Default Re: Ummmmm...Marbury???????

I personally don't think I would, given the recent head cases we've had to deal with. The risk outweighs the reward in my opinion.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Talent-wise he's an upgrade but the last thing we need is another strong-willed lockerroom cancer.

Our only hope would be to use him as a stop-gap to get through this season and hope that he would fill rejuvenated with a change of scenery.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo

God no

If they'd take Tinsley and Murphy back, I'd do it in an instant.

UNDER no circumstances, he's a negative his entire career everywhere he has been. Why would any one consider this.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    PHOENIX - The customary postgame meeting between Garden chairman James Dolan and Isiah Thomas seemed to go on longer than usual late Sunday night in New York. Those sit-downs could be potentially harmful to a head coach. But in this instance, the discussion between Dolan and Isiah Thomas could mean the beginning of the end of Stephon Marbury.
    A high-ranking team official told the Daily News that Thomas and Dolan have been in talks in recent days concerning Marbury's future. Knicks brass is considering what options it has to reduce Marbury's role or get rid of him entirely.
    A trade is unlikely because Marbury, the team's controversial point guard, is scheduled to earn $42 million over the next two seasons. Dolan's and Thomas' history suggests that they would not rule out negotiating a buyout for Marbury, who then would become a free agent. At the very least, Marbury's minutes could be reduced substantially for as long as he remains on the team.
    The Knicks are 2-3 entering tonight's game in Phoenix. Marbury, 30, made the trip west but there is some uncertainty whether he will even play. The Knicks traveled to Phoenix yesterday afternoon and were not available for comment. Attempts to reach Thomas at the team hotel were unsuccessful.
    Marbury accepted responsibility for Sunday's loss to Miami after he threw away a pass in the final minute and allowed Heat guard Jason Williams to get open and hit the go-ahead jumper.
    However, blaming Marbury for the Knicks' record is unfair, especially since Jamal Crawford had a similarly brutal turnover and has struggled defensively. The same is true of Eddy Curry, who was a nonfactor in back-to-back performances against Orlando's Dwight Howard and Miami's Shaquille O'Neal.
    Perhaps Marbury is being set up as the scapegoat in the aftermath of the Anucha Browne Sanders sexual harassment trial. Marbury testified that he once referred to Sanders as a "*****." It was also revealed during the trial that Marbury, a married father, had an affair with a Garden employee who was a public relations intern at the time.
    Also, Marbury made several infamous and bizarre television appearances over the summer that embarrassed the organization. Marbury has maintained a low profile since the start of training camp and has even attempted to extend olive branches to those members of the media that he has feuded with for the past several years.
    A person close to Marbury says he is beaten down emotionally from everything that transpired over the summer and through the Sanders trial and that deep down he would welcome a change of scenery. In five games, Marbury is averaging 15.2 points and 6.8 assists. Now in his 12th season, Marbury has averaged 19.8 points and 7.9 assists over his career with four different teams.
    Marbury was, of course, Thomas' first blockbuster acquisition. The January 2004 trade was celebrated because it meant that Marbury, the Brooklyn legend, would be returning home. But Marbury quickly alienated teammates, coaches and the media with his moody behavior. He was involved in a memorable altercation with former teammate Kurt Thomas and later with current teammate Quentin Richardson. Both players wanted to fight Marbury.
    Through it all, including the losing seasons and zero playoffs wins, Isiah Thomas stood firmly behind Marbury and exiled anyone that had a problem with his guard - including Kurt Thomas, Shandon Anderson, Tim Thomas, Keith Van Horn and Dikembe Mutombo.
    Marbury's career in New York, which seemed so promising, appears to be headed for an ugly divorce. If the Knicks were to sever ties with Marbury, it is uncertain how it would impact Thomas' future.

Just curious, what do you think, if he became available and could be acquired cheaply? Would you take a shot on Marbury?
    Minor thing...but you may want to add a link to this.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

I wouldn't be surprised that if he is bought out.....he will take a paycut to go to the Cavs to play with Lebron.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

and maybe not bold the entire article.
    This is the darkest timeline.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    If they'd take Tinsley and Murphy back, I'd do it in an instant.
    it wouldn't be automatic for me, but i'd at least consider.

I wouldn't be surprised that if he is bought out.....he will take a paycut to go to the Cavs to play with Lebron.
    probably
    This is the darkest timeline.

GOD NO!!!!!!

Every team Marbury has been on has gotten worse once he arrived.

And he compared Michael Vick's dogfighting to hunting "deers"...so he's not the most logical human being either.

Lose-Lose for anyone who gets him.

It's my opinion, relax! Vince Neil's Avatar

I'll pass..........................

ESPN.com: NBA

Tuesday, November 13, 2007
    Marbury skips Knicks' practice; rumors swirl about his future

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

PHOENIX -- Stephon Marbury missed the New York Knicks' morning practice Tuesday, fueling speculation that his future with the team is in doubt, according to several New York media reports.

Knicks head coach Isiah Thomas told reporters Tuesday that Mardy Collins would start in Marbury's place in tonight's game against the Suns.

Thomas declined to comment on reports in the New York Daily News earlier Tuesday that Marbury's role would be "reduced" and that there had been discussions to try to move Marbury.

Marbury's contract is worth $42 million over the next two seasons. If the Knicks buy Marbury out, he'd be a free agent.

"Any type of penalty or suspension will be in-house and we'll try to keep it within the confines of our team. This is an in-house matter with our team and we'll keep it and leave it at that," Thomas told reporters, according to the Daily News. "We hope to see (Marbury) tonight at the game. However, if he's not, make no mistake about it, we want him as a member of our basketball team."

Marbury came to Phoenix with his Knicks teammates Monday. Thomas told reporters he was unsure if Marbury was still in Phoenix, the Daily News reported.

The game against the Suns is the first of four on this trip for New York.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...416&type=story

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan032589 View Post
    GOD NO!!!!!!

Every team Marbury has been on has gotten worse once he arrived.

And he compared Michael Vick's dogfighting to hunting "deers"...so he's not the most logical human being either.

Lose-Lose for anyone who gets him.
    Not sure how we could get much worse than we are, but i still wouldn't want him. I don't see him going to a team that isn't in contention.

Murphy and Tins still leave a difference of around $4 million in salaries. Who else would we send to them. SM only has 1 more year after this, so maybe if we could parley that into something next season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, no, no.

Acquiring Marbury would destroy everything TPTB have tried to do with this team stemming from the GS trade until now. It would make no sense.

And Marbury will probably only sign with a contender.

And he's been a negative everywhere he has been anyway, as has been stated before.

He can go enjoy some second round playoff exits in Cleveland.

LOL. . .Conseco will be empty as hell if they did that!!! People already have a problem with Tinsley. I'd rather have Tinsley
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

I am sure we don't want him and he does not want to be here, However, I could see a scenario where it could be considered. depends on how important trading JO and Tinsley would be to TPTB. (Their trade value is probably sinking and getting Bynum is even more of a pipedream.).

Marbury would potentially give you another scoring perimeter player and (admittedly arguably) a better point guard. Factors that could be important to the current coaching staff.

His bloated salary would come off the books in 2 years. Again, probably will not happen and there is probably too much risk in terms of chemistry, etc. But I could see where management would think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    d'oh...sorry//jbg

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I am sure we don't want him and he does not want to be here, However, I could see a scenario where it could be considered. depends on how important trading JO and Tinsley would be to TPTB. (Their trade value is probably sinking and getting Bynum is even more of a pipedream.).

Marbury would potentially give you another scoring perimeter player and (admittedly arguably) a better point guard. Factors that could be important to the current coaching staff.

His bloated salary would come off the books in 2 years. Again, probably will not happen and there is probably too much risk in terms of chemistry, etc. But I could see where management would think about it.
    In the end it all comes down to money. Right now the team is on the right track to winning back some fans Attedance at Concesco will fall dramatically if Marbury is acquired. I don't think TPTB are willing to tolerate two more seasons of less than mediocre attendance. Yes, attendance is bad right now, but we're at least on the right track to bringing it back up to where it needs to be. A two year setback is NOT what we need to win back the hearts and minds.

A lot of fans aren't thrilled with Tinsley. But I think they're ten times more conducive to him than they are Marbury.

No on Marbury.......
    If the Pacers are to get another PG get one thats younger with a big upside not someone who's better days may be behind them...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't like Marbury.

That said, if you really want to rebuild the Pacers, Marbury and a pick for Tinsley/Murphy is the way to go. Get rid of two 4-year contracts, and get Marbury's contract, which is up at the same time as JO's.

I don't think Marbury would make us any worse, but then I'm the guy that projected we'd finish #12 in our conference. Tinsley loves Thomas, and Zeke loves Tins. So it could work.

Honestly? If I was TPTB, I'd consider it. Depends on how tired of Tinsley they are. We'd get a lot more shooting from the PG position, that's for sure.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Getting Marbury for his skills would be great for this team. He'd give us a lot of what Jamaal just can't. We'd likely turn that into a lot more wins.

However the risk is too high. It's a struggle to get 12,000 butts in Conseco seats right now. When the local news reports "Troubled former Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury has agreed to a deal with the Pacers", I'm sure many of the fair weather Pacer fans (the ones that don't follow the team much and just realized Stephen Jackson doesn't play here anymore in the first game of the season -- which I believe is a majority of Pacer fans) will probably tune the team out once again assuming they haven't changed a bit.

DONE

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    AND DONE!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I don't like Marbury.

That said, if you really want to rebuild the Pacers, Marbury and a pick for Tinsley/Murphy is the way to go. Get rid of two 4-year contracts, and get Marbury's contract, which is up at the same time as JO's.

I don't think Marbury would make us any worse, but then I'm the guy that projected we'd finish #12 in our conference. Tinsley loves Thomas, and Zeke loves Tins. So it could work.

Honestly? If I was TPTB, I'd consider it. Depends on how tired of Tinsley they are. We'd get a lot more shooting from the PG position, that's for sure.
    I maybe in the minority here....but I agree with you....it's worth considering.

But I doubt that Marbury would go to a small market like Indy and be happy in anyway.