would you do this trade?

jermaine o'neal
    jamaal tinsley
    troy murphy

for

shaquille o'neal
    jason williams
    daequan cook

for pacers, the motivation is primarily financial. we get out of tinsley and murphy's long deals, giving us a leg up in the rebuilding process. also we move j.o. when the downslope of his career is just showing.

diesel is old and in worse shape than jermaine. but he is still a marquee name - i'd bet people will still pay money to watch an old shaq. that has to sound pretty good for tptb. and i think shaq is a guy you could count on to play an elder statesman role (more than j.o. anyway), thus easing the transition to granger and company. shaq is even slower than jermaine so his role on offense will probably be limited, but if he can be counted on to defend the interior and control the boards then he'd still be helping the team a lot.

jason williams' value is mostly his expiring contract. plus he'll fill in at pg until we get a new one from next year's draft. i don't know that we'll be bad enough to get names like mayo or derrick rose, but darren collison or tywon lawson would be pretty good too. eric gordon is possible as well but he's more of an sg imo.

cook is a pretty good shooter who could develop at sg for us. probably we'd also ask miami for a future first rounder.

for miami, their championship window looks to be closing with shaq's decline. this deal reopens that window another 3-4 years. j.o. is deteriorating too but he and mourning should have maybe 3 years of good play left. the heat are taking on a huge financial commitment with this deal but they've shown previously (in the shaq deal) that they're willing to take risks. furthermore, other than wade's max deal they don't have a lot of other big contracts so they won't be over the luxury tax by a lot.

the downside of this trade is that we're not getting a lot of young talent (e.g. bynum, hinrich, etc). however, with jermaine slowing down, i don't think many teams would be willing to part with their good young talent for someone who may not have a lot of years left. in other words, this kind of deal may be the best we can get.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: o'neal for o'neal

Have you seen Shaq or his contract recently?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

if the wheels come off and we fall out of the playoff race, YES. we would never get an opportunity like this to unload both murph and tinsley (which is essential to rebuild). i like cook, and a first would be required too.

i would try and peddle shaq to a 3rd party. NY seems like a nice fit. maybe get marbury who only has 2 years left on his deal along with more picks and nice prospect like lee.

i would only do this deal if we could move shaq for a shorter contract!!!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you seen Shaq or his contract recently?
    well, shaq's play lately has been disastrous, but as to his contract

'08-'09 season
    shaq : $20,000,000
    j.o.: $21,352,500

'09-'10 season
    shaq : $20,000,000
    j.o.: $22,995,000

same length as jermaine's, but actually less per year in the last 2 seasons