Thread: Simeon Rice is a Colt

Default Simeon Rice is a Colt

Dungy will be reunited with former Buc:
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...e-off-waivers/

Default Re: Simeon Rice is a Colt

Whoo! I called this. As long as Freeney isn't hurt in a major way, I'm psyched about this. Any extra pass rusher we can get is great.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Yep. I remember them saying the same thing about Booger having lost a step and not being effective anymore before he got back into the swing of things with Dungy again.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO this means Freeney is gonna be gone for a while.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO this means Freeney is gonna be gone for a while.
    I'm not saying Freeney will or won't be out for awhile, but I think that this deal doesn't say that either. If Rice has been jobless this entire season then I might agree with you. However, he just got released and and since we get his cheap contract (minus the bonuses) it's almost a no brainer...

He adds depth, but he is a shell of his former self. He could barely crack the rotation in Denver at DE when they sorely needed pass rushers if that tells you anything. Who knows though, maybe he'll do better under Dungy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Freeney is gonna be gone for a while. maybe for the rest of the regular season from what im guessing
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    He adds depth, but he is a shell of his former self. He could barely crack the rotation in Denver at DE when they sorely needed pass rushers if that tells you anything. Who knows though, maybe he'll do better under Dungy.
    Yeah - 34-year old speed rushers not named Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor generally don't have much left. Who knows though - maybe Rice can still give something.

And the way he left the field, Freeney will be gone a while - and should be. He just HAS to have good wheels.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I'm not gonna throw a party about this but I think it was a pretty good pickup. But on the other hand, like said above....it points to Freeney being out for a considerable amount of time.

I've always liked Rice and I hope he can do something.

It's obvious that Freeney will be out for a substantial amount of time.

If these injuries exist for the rest of the regular season, I hope that we can just hold on, go 12-4, and get the first round bye.

Midseason adversity can be good for a team. Just ask the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers. As we Colts fans know VERY well, nobody gets a trophy for having the best record and the #1 "Power Ranking" in Week 11.

This is a sunshiner post but bear with me.

With three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney expected to miss several weeks because of a left foot injury, the Indianapolis Colts claimed Simeon Rice off waivers Monday.

Rice

Freeney, who injured his foot in the fourth quarter of Sunday night's 23-21 loss at San Diego when an unidentified Chargers' offensive lineman rolled up his leg, underwent tests Monday. The extent of the damage is not known, but Colts president Bill Polian said he believed Freeney could miss four or more games.
    "We anticipate that Dwight will miss some significant amount of time," said Polian, who made the announcement on his weekly radio show Monday night. The news was later posted on the team's Web site.
    The Colts signed Freeney in July to a six-year deal, paying an average of $12 million. He has 32 tackles and 3˝ sacks on the season.
    Rice, 34, was let go by the Broncos on Friday after he requested his release. The league's second-leading active sacker, Rice appeared in six games during his short-lived stint with the Broncos but was unhappy over his lack of playing time and the fact Denver coaches were using him at the unfamiliar left end position.

"We think it'll be a positive addition for us ... and hopefully it will pay some dividends for us down the road,'' Polian said during his radio show.
    In 2001, his first season in Tampa Bay, Rice played under Tony Dungy when Dungy was the Bucs' head coach, so the two have history. In his six games with the Broncos, Rice, who underwent offseason surgery to correct a shoulder problem, had only seven tackles and did not record a sack.
    The Colts (7-2) will assume the one-year contract Rice signed with Denver, which was worth $3 million but included a base salary of only $820,000. Prorated over the balance of the season, the deal will cost Indianapolis just $337,647 if it keeps Rice for the final seven weeks.
    Concerns about his shoulder and his age, along with his performance with the Broncos, probably dissuaded some teams from considering him. But with Freeney possibly sidelined for a while, Rice could provide a boost to the Indianapolis pass rush and should be available to play right away.
    For Rice, the move is an opportunity to join a playoff contender.
    Rice was released by Tampa Bay on the eve of training camp after six seasons with the Bucs, when the team said that he had failed a physical examination because of the shoulder injury that limited him to only eight appearances in 2006. Rice contended that the release was because he refused to accept a reduction of his 2007 base salary of $7.25 million.
    After visiting with several franchises as a free agent, Rice signed the one-year, $3 million contract with the Broncos on Sept. 3. Rice acknowledged recently that he regretted signing with the Broncos. He demonstrated some flashes of his trademark upfield quickness, but Denver officials privately questioned the soundness of his shoulder and hinted he still wasn't fully recovered.
    Rice has long been one of the NFL's premier sack threats. His 121 career sacks trail only Michael Strahan of the New York Giants. He has eight seasons with double-digit sacks. His streak of five consecutive seasons with 10 or more sacks was ended last year because of the shoulder injury.
    The normally durable Rice had missed just one game in his first 10 seasons in the league.
    Rice was originally chosen by the Arizona Cardinals in the first round of the 1996 draft.
    In 172 regular-season games, he has 590 tackles, 37 forced fumbles, eight fumble recoveries, five interceptions and 60 pass deflections.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

(From Pastabelly via this link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3107196)

People can pan Rice for his performance in Denver all they want but:

1.) Denver seemingly threw him into the mix before his shoulder was healed.
    2.) He was playing out of position
    3.) He didn't get much playing time.

It could be a good addition for the Colts because:

1.) Our defense is very young for the most part, and Rice has been around for awhile.
    2.) He is historically a durable player who missed 1 game in 10 years
    3.) Our d-line is good so I doubt he faces too many double teams
    4.) He's cheap
    5.) He has played for Dungy in the past so at least has a vague idea of the type of defense we run already

Simeon Rice is a freaking headcase. He turns it on and turns it off. When in malcontent mode, he's useless. If coaches can get him switched on, my guess is there's still some game left.

I just can't wait until when he gets in the starting lineup. During the introductions, I think we'll get our first Colts 'playa-hater U.' reference.

But again many of the same things were said about McFarland last year: better days behind him, malcontent, not really much of a factor on the team he was with etc. For what we are giving it is definitely worth it. Dungy will know exactly how to optimize his current talents to fit our system and the players around him. Who knows what the helk Denver was doing with him. Their D seems to be throw something against the wall and see what sticks from game to game.

streets ahead

yeah rice is most comfortable in dungy's tampa 2 and given his feeling about making a mistake by signing in denver and now rejoining the colts i'm certainly not worried about the "malcontent" side. i think this is a low-risk high-reward move.
    This is the darkest timeline.

I'm not worried about him being a malcontent. Ed Johnson was such a malcontent in college that no one even drafted him because of how much of a headcase he was. And we haven't heard a peep out of him since coming to the Colts

Thank Goodness because. Freeney, could be out for the season!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Football is absolutely the most scheme oriented sport I've ever seen (for an individual, or team), and how you fit into that scheme is a lot more important than anything.

Going back to playing the same defensive scheme he did when he was a star might be the difference.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    Football is absolutely the most scheme oriented sport I've ever seen (for an individual, or team), and how you fit into that scheme is a lot more important than anything.

Going back to playing the same defensive scheme he did when he was a star might be the difference.

-- Steve --
    I do think that he will do well in Indy, but you are sorely mistaken if you think he will be anywhere close to the probowler he used to be. I think he'll be a solid fill in for Freeney at the very best. I also think that talent is as important as a scheme is..especially at positions like DE. If a scheme was more important then anything, the Colts wouldn't have shelled out millions to retain Freeney in the first place. You need very talented players to make certain schemes work. Indys defense is a perfect example. They need tons of speed all over the field at just about every position in order for it to work.

With that said, the Colts got him for very cheap so they have absolutely nothing to lose.
    Last edited by Moses; 11-14-2007 at 02:16 PM.