Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd thoughts about the collapse to Denver

Default Odd thoughts about the collapse to Denver

Well that was fun.

Sadly unlike the game vs. the Heat where U.B. asked me if I thought we were going to win or lose I emphatically and without a doubt in my mind said win. Tonight Roaming Gnome asked me the same question with about 4 min. to go left in the game and without much hesitation I said lose.

Winning builds is contageous and so is losing. Sadly we are into losing right now and it doesn't get any easier with the Celtics coming up on Tuesday.

Obviously there are lots of things to cover but right off of the bat I am going to throw Bird/Walsh/O'Brien under the bus.

I don't know who or why but the deep bench with several players playing significant min. has gone out the window.

While we did go 11 deep tonight only one bench player played more than 20 min. and our point guard and power forward each played above 34 min. each.

With the style of offense and defense O'Brien is going to try and run I do not see how this is going to work.

Of course me being the anti-O'Neal person that I am, I am very fearful that we are back full swing in the Jermaine is a superstar and must get his min. mode.

If that is the case then we have wasted everybodys time and fired Carlisle for no reason.

For that matter I just cannot fathom how we can play Jamaal Tinsley this many min. a game.

For the third game in a row I found myself praying for Jamaal to hit the bench only to once again remember the Diener was going to be coming in. However I didn't even get that last night, I got Marquis Daniels running the point and well frankly that was about a miserable failure as well.

I have to really fault whoever in management made the decision that we did not need a strong backup for Jamaal. I really fault them for not saying we need a replacement for Jamaal but what's the point by now.

Look I don't mean to offend the Jamaal fan club but after that fourth quarter if Jamaal Tinsley never played another min. on our team I would be happy.

I don't care if he did almost have a triple double, the guy blew chunks in the fourth quarter. There was no offenseive direction from him at all and for whatever reason that only he knows he decided that it was time to channel Stephon Marburry and fling up whatever shot he could get his hands on.

Sadly he can't shoot like Starburry can thus the 4th quarter we all witnessed.

However, I don't blame Jamaal for this at all.

There was a coach over on the sideline who had every opprotunity in the world to pull him and if nothing else set him down and say "hey, we need to do this and not this". But "play on" was all we got all night long.

However, I can't even really blame the coaching staff for all of this either.

I'm sure he looked down his bench and saw a player who was let go by the Magic and another player who played in the D league last season and figured "what the hell".

As I've said over and over again, I understand the Diener and Rush signings. But what I don't get is the fact that we didn't make some move, any move to get a real quality backup point guard.

Oh, for the record I still hate Allen Iverson with the passion of a white hot sun. I wish just once that a big man would actually hit Allen as hard as he acts like he gets hit everytime he goes down the lane.

Sorry I had to get that one non-Pacers point in there, now I'm back on track.

Look, let's be honest here. This season has never been about winning a title, so I wish we could just forget the whole "we must play Jermaine and Jamaal and be competative" non-sense and actually start to develop some of our other players for the next couple of years when maybe (with a whole lot of luck) we can be competative again.

I'm not saying tank the season I'm just saying instead of almost 40 min. a game from the main two I'd really like to see more players getting more min. on the floor.

I guess let's just hit them player by player from here.

J.O. - Honestly I am not an objective observer here but I have to ask, can the guy not jump anymore? I know he has injury's and all but dang, really this much? I swear he looks like he is straining to even get up and dunk the ball. I think he has gone to the "draw the charge" mode because I am not sure he can get up there to block the shots anymore like he used to. He may be the oldest 30 year old player I've seen.

Maybe he is just out of shape or maybe his knee still hurts but dang he can't seem to do anything off of the floor anymore.

He did at least grab some boards and had a couple of nifty passes. I pray to God he hasn't had the team alter the offense to suite him again, if he has I really don't even blame him at this point. I would totally blame Bird/Walsh/O'Brien for letting this happen.

Going back to the conditioning thing here for a min. I really really would like to see him limited to 30 min. a game for now because to me he looked winded, out of it or something.

Not a bad game from him, but certainly not a great 4th quarter at all.

Danny Granger - I have no idea what happened here. The first quarter he was outplaying Anthony or at least holding his own. Went to the bench and never came back till after the half. We were wonding if he got injured or something. You guys that watched on t.v. can tell us more if you know.

But then came back in the second half an proceded to stink. His defense was weak, his passing was horrid and his shot selection resembled that of Dell Curry (without the ability to hit). 0-6 from three point land tells me that he should have driven the lane.

BTW, here is the differance between J.O. and Marcus Camby. Ever notice that Camby actually makes teams alter thier offense? O'Brien said after the game that Marcus stopped us from going inside. J.O. even when he had the most blocked shots in the league does not scare people off from driving. The same year he led the league in blocks is also the same year he led the league in getting dunked on as well.

I digress.

Danny just did not have a good second half.

Troy - I get it, he can shoot the three. However do we really truely need our center/powerforward shooting 70% of his shots from behind the arc? I'm not complaining about his game overall, but that is just a little more than I would want. He hit the boards, I think he played solid defense and didn't make any stupid errors.

Actually other than the fact that he didn't do anything other than shoot three's I think Troy had probably the best overall game of anyone that played.

Dunleavy - Um.....am I wrong here or did Mike even get up a shot in the 4th quarter? It seems to me that Mike dissapeared in the 4th and frankly I can't tell if it was from his lack of aggresiveness or the fact that the guy never seemed to touch the ball.

Last season there were a couple of times I wondered aloud if Jamaal wasn't freezing Mike out of the offense and well frankly in this game I am going to wonder that aloud again.

Or maybe it was Mike not actually guarding anyone in the 4th that made O'Brien not run anything for him??? I don't know.

Good shooting % from the floor, so that really really makes me wonder why he didn't take more (if any) shots down toward the end of the game? I kept also wondering why we weren't letting Mike run the plays down at the end, I would much rather ran Mike at the point than Jamaal, but that's just me.

Jeff Foster - Another day at the office for Jeff. Good solid overall play, nothing spectacular but not bad either. I like Jeff in the role of big man off of the bench. IMO, he becomes one of the if not the best big men off of the bench in the NBA.

I really would have rather seen a lineup of Jeff, Troy, Shawne, Danny and Mike in the 4th than what we got. No, I'm not kidding either.

Shawne Williams - He's getting there. Getting aggressive around the rim on the rebounding (although his stats. don't bare that out tonight but he was fighting for the boards) however his shot was dropping, again leading me to ask why did he not shoot more in the 4th? For a second year player I'd say he is coming along nicely and as the season progesses I think we may get to see that lineup of Ike, Danny and Shawne on the floor together (dare I dream that I could see Ike, Danny, Shawne and Bynum)

Kareem Rush - Solid game for the most part, well other than his defense but I am not faulting him for that by much. He is not as aggressive on offense as I thought he would be so that is suprising I guess, but on the other hand I think it is good he doesn't force things either. Had some really nice dribble dishes that led to some nice interior layups.

Again, like I said before, we got him on the cheap and anything he produces in a positive light is actually a bonus and Bird should take credit for it. But this guy is not going to push for the two spot either.

Daniels - failure, that is all.

Ok that may be a little harsh. I guess we wanted him to run the point against Iverson, probably not the wisest of ideas. However our other option was Travis Diener, so I guess Daniels wasn't that bad afterall.

Travis Diener - Waste of space. Can't even depend on him to give the starter 10 solid min. of backup work? Look I want to like the guy, I really do. In fact I want to root for about anybody at this point to do good so they can get some min. from Mel-Mell the abuser. But as of yet in the regular season I have seen nothing and I mean nothing that makes me think he should get one min. on the floor above Andre Owens.

Which brings me to Andre Owens???? What, really, you mean our best small man defender can't get one min. on the floor vs. Iverson?

Something is rotten in Denmark and I have a feeling it's the same old same old of rotten.

Speaking of rotten, should we even talk about David Harrison? No, not really why waste bandwidth on him. Honest to God he may be the least sensible person I've ever seen on the floor. Ok, that is already to much about him.

Now to coaching.

People this loss I lay at the feet of Jim O'Brien. No, not 100% but he deserves the lions share of the blame. He saw the collapes, he saw the same ball hogging crap that the rest of us did and he did nothing about it.

So he must have been ok with it.

The defense never shifted to help with the pick and roll they were running and he never made any adjustments to fix this.

If, as I suspect deep inside, that we have already shifted offensive schemes even just a little, then I am really really dissapointed and all of the tough talk from both him and Bird was just that. Talk.

Again, never get to up after a win nor to down after a loss. However there are some trends developing that are troubling to say the least.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Odd thoughts about the collapse to Denver

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to really fault whoever in management made the decision that we did not need a strong backup for Jamaal. I really fault them for not saying we need a replacement for Jamaal but what's the point by now.
    There's a bunch of point guards in the upcoming draft. I think Draft Express has 6 going in the first round and 8 in the 2nd round. So it could be TPTB decided O'B wanted to coach this team, why not let him? If he does good, more power to him, if not we have a good draft pick. Plus we can always trade JO for more picks before the trade deadline.

Personally I think I would rather see the Pacers stink for a year and get one of those points, because I don't think Tinsley will ever turn the corner. He could, in fact I picked him for third team NBA this year. HA HA HA, what a dummy!
    Last edited by Will Galen; 11-11-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Look I don't mean to offend the Jamaal fan club but after that fourth quarter if Jamaal Tinsley never played another min. on our team I would be happy.
    I don't know that I've ever read anything I agreed with more than this statement.

The 4th quarter last night was the Tins & JO show, and we can all see how far that's going to get us this season.

At least I was smart enough to bet on Iverson having a big game last night.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Now everyone can see how much we miss Diogu. When I say that I am half kidding but I am
    also half serious. Diogu helps this team through the rough spots and boy have we missed him the last 3. Unfortunately we will have to wait for half the season to be over before
    I draw any long term conclusions. JO has turned into Chris Webber after his knee was gone.
    Tins is Tins.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Earlier in the summer I said I could wait and see how JT did under a new coach. I've seen enough. I can't think of a worse team than the Pacers so I guess I'll just pull for sending him to a colder climate.

JT TO THE TIMBERWOLVES!!!

and as everyone knows, I'd have gladly sent JO to the Lakers, wouldn't that have been poetic?

But seriously....look at Chicago and think about THAT situation.

and yes, it appears that someone requested a change to the offense, but at least they didn't do it publicly this year.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

The thing about Diogu is A) he gives a little offensive punch off the bench and B)although he still is prone to mistakes, he always plays with great aggressiveness and effort. The hallmarks of, at the least, an excellent 2nd unit spark.

I've been saying since the preseason that, even given a healty and high-performing JO, his minutes should never exceed about 32.

Twofold reason. One is obviously to conserve him. Also to use the bench for development purposes and create the expectation of a team ethic-that only contributions from everyone can lead to success given this team's makeup.

Tinsley? The backup PG point is quite salient. But I think the argument you're really trying to make (or are making) is not just the need for a solid backup, but a solid replacement for Jamaal when he starts going off on his tangents or otherwise gravitates toward on-court performance detrimental to the team. In other words, the backup you pine for is the one who's really starting calibur.

I think we are going to see Daniels be the primary backup for Tinsley. I think O'Brien is also going to shorten the rotation.

JO looks 35 to me an old 35. I said over the summer that now was the time to trade JO because he is on the downside of his career physically, and with his type of body and game once he loses his athleticism he is toast. I pray he opts out at the end of the season

If the Bulls continue to lose - one of two things are going to happen. Skiles will get fired (Scott is a great coach but he has a short shelf-life because of how hard he drives his players and if the Bulls lose 10% of their normal intenisity because they are starting to tune out the coach, then the Bulls won't be any good) or the Bulls will look to make a trade and I would have no problem of trading JO to the Bulls - and no I don't expect much in return - I don't expect Deng in fact I don't expect any of their starters - JO
    's trade value is in a nose dive right now. So maybe our best bet is for him to opt out. But he'll only do that if he wants to get out of Indiana - becauae he won't make anything near the salary he's making now. He's a shell of his former self.

We can spend a day and a half talking about backup point guards (and I know why having a good backup is important because of JT) But the backup isn't the problem. The starter is the problem - for any team the starting point guard is the most important player on your team (unless you have a dominant transendent shooting guard (Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Jordan) And right now our starting point guard is simply not good enough. That needs to be addressed first
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-11-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    And right now our starting point guard is simply not good enough. That needs to be addressed first
    I'd rather have a Travis Best clone.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I'd rather have a Travis Best clone.

Heaven help me, yer right. TB is looking better all the time...no wait.. I..I
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Knock Jamaal all you want, with good reason, but I don't know if there's a team in this league we could beat if he didn't play.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Stats up to the start of the 4th quarter for the 4 "culprits" of last night

JT: FG 3-5; Rb 6; Ast 8; TO 2

JO: FG 4-7; Rb 6; Ast 4; TO 2; FT 3-4

MD;FG 7-9; Rb 5; Ast 4; TO 0

DG; FG 4-13;Rb 2; Ast 1; TO 1

These are the actual stats, at the start of the 4th
    In the 4th, DunDun and Tins get a breather of 2 minutes, JO 31 seconds and DG fouls out with 8 seconds left.

JO continuous the quarter going 1-7 from the field, (getting 4 FT's) getting 6 reb (3 Off) and creates 2 TO's (fouls)

MD continuous the quarter going 0-2 grabbing 1 board and 1 TO

DG continuous the 4th quarter with 2 - 5, 2 reb (off own miss) 1 Ast

JT continuous the 1st 9 minutes of the quarter going 1-4; 1 rb, 1 Ast and 1 TO
    In the final 3 minutes JT adds 1-6; 1 Rb; 1 Ast; 1 TO

Now add to that the hard fact that movement in the 2nd half got less and less and less, Quis, Rush and Foster hardly played and Murphy despite 3 rebounds in about 9 minutes was also a non-factor nd it becomes painfully clear that the impression those final 5 minutes left are the impression that the game was that way.
    Well it wasn't

JO is coming back from injury that disipated his conditioning, and should not play more then 30 minutes, so has to show serious fatigue towards the end of those 30, yet he played 35 and still picked up 6 of the 17 rebounds we had in the quarter.

Tins' final 3 minutes were at the very least 3 called plays by JOB out of time-outs, so someone had hopes higher then most of you.

I'll say it on more time, we have a new team, a new coach with a new system on O and on D, which was expected to last us till the AS break to "master" that system, yet here we are, 6 games in, and not as some predicted 0-6 but 3-3, and the sky is falling, JT and JO should be ridden out of town, tarred and feathered on a steel rail to never be seen again.

Two games in a row, Danny has put in a pathetic second half performance at least ( and I maintain that despite early good shooting in both games his D was suspect to say the least, this game his 1st q was ok, after that it was pure drama where he was more out of position on D then any other player we have) yet nobody says a word about that.
    Diener; let's not even go there, DunDun dissapeared again in the 2nd half as well, he just for whatever reason stops moving the way he does the 1st half and if he's not moving he's not making shots, nor is he in position to get the ball,

Coach announced in his press conferecen that he will go more with Quis as the backup PG, I think that says enough about hte two we have "pencilled" in there, the "faith" aint there anymore.

I don't mind anyone pointing out that JO and JT shot abysmal in the 4th, it's true, but you see, no one else took the shot, and they did get the chance.

As someone pointed out, their bench ate DunDun and Granger for breakfast specially in the 2nd half, if our D fails, then we don't get the early shot, or the easy shot, which means we have to go with plan B, and since we hardly have mastered plan A, we haven't even thought about plan B by the looks of it and that is where we went to hell in a basket twice in two games.

For those of you screaming about JO and JT playing at all, Coach quite obviously thinks differently, and I tend to have more faith in his judgement.

I also have more faith in this team, they will get it eventually, we will get to the playoffs and make some noise there, once we start "getting it".

I am pleased by the play I see in the 1st half and really don't expect them to maintain it yet for a full game, but we will see plan B clicking in soon enough so we can hold on to those leads, the fact we can create them says a lot to me.

Am I not dissapointed in the loss ? yes of course I am, however I don't throw anyone under the train for it, we'll get there soon enough, untill then I support this team instead of bemoaning it or cursing it.
    This was posted by Able in another thread, but could fit in here with all the
    overly negative posts by those who would bemoan the team already instead
    of show support...which is saddening, if not just plain ridiculous.

So far we are a .500 team, there is a looong way to go, and JOB has been
    pushing these players harder than they have ever been pushed.

I would much rather see any breakdowns like we've seen happen early on
    in the season than later. If this sort of thing were to happen in March or
    April, then there would be real cause for sharp reaction, but right now?

It is nice to see posters like Able out there who can keep a cool head
    when things come under fire.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

You know, people forget that Jamaal was playing excellent in the first half... he only had a few shot attempts, aka he wasn't chucking... and he had gathered 8 assists. He had a terrible 4th quarter. not game.

I can see the argument for blaming obrien... but can you really pull two of your best players in the last three minutes of a close game?

I saw positives and negatives in this game, but the negatives look fixable and it is very early in the season. The offense ran exactly like it was supposed to in the first half. and I feel like there are as many things to feel good about with the first quarter as their are to feel bad about in the 4th. Give it some time people...
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    You know, people forget that Jamaal was playing excellent in the first half... he only had a few shot attempts, aka he wasn't chucking... and he had gathered 8 assists. He had a terrible 4th quarter. not game.

I can see the argument for blaming obrien... but can you really pull two of your best players in the last three minutes of a close game?

I saw positives and negatives in this game, but the negatives look fixable and it is very early in the season. The offense ran exactly like it was supposed to in the first half. and I feel like there are as many things to feel good about with the first quarter as their are to feel bad about in the 4th. Give it some time people...
    Jamaal had 8 assists at the end of the first half because the Pacers were shooting over 60%. They were knocking down their outside shots. His 8 assists weren't plays where he created the open shot for a teammate through any doing of their own. He merely made a pass to an open man who made a shot. It counts as an assist, but it's nothing that Kevin Ollie couldn't have done.

I like this team. I like the way they've played ball in the first half of every game this year. I like every player on this team other than Tins and the version of JO we saw in the fourth quarter last night. I think that this team has the chance to be a successful playoff team this year.

But...

PG play is a huge problem. People in the know have been saying for years that they'd not take the Pacers seriously until they had a new starting PG. Other than the 4th quarter against the Wizards, Tins has been bad this year.

Buck, I hope that O'Brien does not shorten the rotation. I'd love to see him yanking guys off the floor the minute they fall short of maximum effort. I know it's a different situation, but in Purdue's second exhibition game the other day, they started out like crap. Painter pulled all 5 starters about 3 or 4 minutes into the game. He then gradually substituted them back in. The message was sent and the won the game by 20+ points. When the ball movement and backdoor cuts stop, start yanking guys. You don't move without the ball, you sit on the bench. That's what I thought we were getting with O'Brien.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I remember at least once or twice when Jamaal drove to the hoop and then passed back out to find an open man for three. You could make that argument against any PG in the league... "well they only got an assist cause they passed to an open man who got a shot" well isn't that his job? he had 8 assists and only 2 turnovers... if it is so easy than anyone should be able to do it. the discussion becomes irrelevant.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

This season is about turning the corner. I don't have the expectation that that corner would be turned by game 6. There are losing habits that players must fix. I believe or hope that this coach's eye is on developing and becoming a better team at season's end.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

I think we are going to see Daniels be the primary backup for Tinsley. I think O'Brien is also going to shorten the rotation.
    I mentioned this during the game thread. Daniels, Foster and Williams should be our core bench players who get most of the minutes. Rush and Harrison should be used when the situation calls for them to play. Diener is the odd man out right now.

If Daniels plays PG when Dunleavy is on the floor, no one is complaining about his play last night. The problem was he was in there with Granger and Williams as his wings. I thought he played well when it was him and Rush in the backcourt. Daniels is still a very valuable piece to this team, we have to get a lot more out of him to start winning games.

JO looks 35 to me an old 35. I said over the summer that now was the time to trade JO because he is on the downside of his career physically, and with his type of body and game once he loses his athleticism he is toast. I pray he opts out at the end of the season
    Jermaine (or anyone with half a brain) is not going to walk away from $43M guaranteed.
    Last edited by d_c; 11-11-2007 at 02:06 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I am very fearful that we are back full swing in the Jermaine is a superstar and must get his min. mode.
    Is this what they call it when Lebron, Kobe or KG play a lot of minutes?

Or is it called "your best players should be on the court as much as possible"? See, this is what I mean by bias. If you liked him or the results you'd love the PT. You don't so instead you see it as a fault. It's not the PT per se, it's who is getting it.

Now I will agree that the reason the Pacers fell apart in this game was that the only person who kept up really consistent movement in the 2nd half was Tinsley. The rest of the offense hit the skids and stopped cutting as aggressively and did a lot of settling. JO gets assists when guys cut to the rim. JO does not get assists when tired or disinterested players (I vote tired in this case) stop challenging the defense when they don't have the ball.

It's nowhere close to being just watch JO. It's 100% a case of ball watching REGARDLESS of who has it. The good looks in the first quarter were almost 100% effort-based. In the 2nd half you saw tons of jumpers, maybe a few things off the dribble, and a monster lack of bench offensive threats to make up the difference.

I've said since day 1 that this isn't a pretty offense. It works off of effort and that looks great. But when guys get tired that goes away and all that's left is a minimalist playbook and little direction. One reason guys like Carlisle coach strict plays is to make offense easier. Of course you have to buy into the system and work it in order to make it pay off, and you have to be able to deliver on it as well. You saw what happens when those things aren't true to end last season.

But JOB doesn't promise that, he promises effort and defense. I'm fine with that but people need to understand that set plays that you can count on as go-to moves aren't going to typically be there in the grind.

I will get behind Tins here since it was mentioned. I thought this game was his best overall this season. His effort was at a high level, he was aggressive on the passing lanes and he pushed the ball vertically pretty well which helped challenge the defense earlier in the clock and kept things moving. No Tins in the 2nd half and it gets even uglier than it was.

He's not the star, generally unreliable, but he does have those nights or periods of impact.

Jamaal had 8 assists at the end of the first half because the Pacers were shooting over 60%. They were knocking down their outside shots. His 8 assists weren't plays where he created the open shot for a teammate through any doing of their own. He merely made a pass to an open man who made a shot. It counts as an assist, but it's nothing that Kevin Ollie couldn't have done.
    I do agree with this part 100%. He typically has been enjoying the benefits of great cuts and movement that he merely needs to feed. Tossing it into the post for a JO shot is the same thing, an assist technically but not game changing. Even in this game he wasn't doing what Quis does which is to truly create movement and openings for himself and others.

Let's also keep one major thing in mind. While they lost the game in the end, the bench or anyone not named JO/Tins was a major part of blowing a 20+ point lead that let the game even be that close at the end.

The trouble was not being able to score in the 3rd. Have Harrison or Quis or Diener come in and rip off a big string of points there and it's not an issue. NO ONE responded as an offensive solution when the team simply needed points. No one.

I think we are going to see Daniels be the primary backup for Tinsley.
    Yeah, I'm sensing that too. He's used him as a defense PG and then last night even had him as the only PG on the court. Odd to go from 2-3 PGs at a time to 0 just a few nights later.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-11-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I can see the argument for blaming obrien... but can you really pull two of your best players in the last three minutes of a close game?.
    I don't disagree with this.

The real question is how JOB will deal with the result. Personally, I would love for JOB to publicly say that JT and JO made poor choices and took bad shots down the stretch. Call them out and put pressure on them to perform correctly.

But I doubt I'll get that pleasure. So, the question remains, will JOB call them out in front of the team, or at least man to man?

If not, we have NO chance of reform. Even with it, our chances are slim.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I remember at least once or twice when Jamaal drove to the hoop and then passed back out to find an open man for three. You could make that argument against any PG in the league... "well they only got an assist cause they passed to an open man who got a shot" well isn't that his job? he had 8 assists and only 2 turnovers... if it is so easy than anyone should be able to do it. the discussion becomes irrelevant.
    I'll give Tins props for doing that in the first half. Question is, why didn't he do it in the last four minutes?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

The first quarter he was outplaying Anthony or at least holding his own.
    I can't agree with this. Melo gave him fits right out of the gate. I'm obviously big on DG's game, even despite his slight slump this week, but Melo did put some perspective on his game for me as well. Melo was stronger, "taller" and offensively smoother than Danny all night. He made a solid effort, but that was a weakpoint in the matchups for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I'll give Tins props for doing that in the first half. Question is, why didn't he do it in the last four minutes?
    I think he did somewhat, there just weren't a lot of outside shots going in. This was a complaint I made during the games they won. Lots of assists on long jumpers. That's not offense, that's guys hitting shots. If you could drop long jumpers at a 60% rate with just a little space your team would go 82-0. You can always get those looks. What you can't get is the NBA version of an NFL running game, the grinder points inside when you need easy buckets as legs get tired.

Does this offense really have that if guys aren't cutting to the rim? JO somewhat, Harrison when he isn't in foul trouble, and Ike is hurt.

Dunleavy - Um.....am I wrong here or did Mike even get up a shot in the 4th quarter? It seems to me that Mike dissapeared in the 4th and frankly I can't tell if it was from his lack of aggresiveness or the fact that the guy never seemed to touch the ball.

Last season there were a couple of times I wondered aloud if Jamaal wasn't freezing Mike out of the offense and well frankly in this game I am going to wonder that aloud again.
    Think about the logic here. The assist-w**** is going to freeze a guy out and let the team lose in this new, fun JOB system that he loves? Doubtful. I don't see this at all. I see Mike, just as in preseason, being a MUCH stronger early game player. He's had many big 1st quarters and then very little in the 4th. Tins hasn't had to be playing at the time for this to be true. Go back and look at some of those preseason games even.

Plus Mike did get 4th quarter looks, just check the shot chart. He sat for about 3 minutes in the 4th after Camby blocked his shot following a 3pt miss the trip prior. Tins was in the game at the time. 5:13, Mike offensive foul shortly after returning.

Tins started to take over and force the action (for better and worse) when people stopped moving. Mike was part of that problem and that's his entire game, energy to get open and fresh legs to help his jumper. Just like his 3 ball is much better when he can step into it.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-11-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Ok Seth we, the majority on this board, see it wrong and JO and Tinsley aren't the problem but the rest is. At least, it looks like that's what your saying right here.

Alright let's keep those 2 wonderfull players and trade the rest?
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

[QUOTE=Naptown_Seth;616952]Is this what they call it when Lebron, Kobe or KG play a lot of minutes?

I don't even have to focus on the rest of what you said, this say's it all.

You still are under the illusion the J.O. is in this class of player. I say he never was in this class of player, but if you want to believe at one point in time he was feel free.

However if you still believe that he is in this caliber of player then may I interest you in some swamp land in Alabama for sale?

To me he is not even in the same level as Zach Randolph, Al Jefferson or Emeka Okafor.

Actually we have seen first hand how he is compared to Okafor.

Now that I think about it, did you honestly just say that this was Jamaals best game of the season????

I don't even know how to respond to that other than

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

During the 4th qtr absolutely nobody was moving on offense. It was like they were waiting on Jamal to throw it to JO for his 12 foot shot. I was thinking why are they not moving setting a pick or doing something. Our offense in the 4th was terrible, I don't see how this was all Jamals fault. He made some passes late that were stolen but no one moved toward the ball like you should. You can not stand and wait for the ball to come to you. Is that really Jamals fault? No one was moving, don't place all the blame on JT. Does he really take all those shots if people are moving trying to get open? I do agree that JO looked tired and out of shape but he was about the best we had to keep Denver from penetrating. If I were JOB I would have gotten a tech when Melo charged in to Granger it would have been a good time to put a spark in the team. Slick was good at recognizing that.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)