Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

  1. #1
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nfl

    I don't even feel like copying the whole thing in here right now. I wondered if he would like a recap of all the missed calls in the 2004 AFC Championship game as well?
    Oh but heres a nice little snippet, just for kicks...
    After Welker clinched the Colts game with a crucial first-down catch, he defiantly hopped up and screamed at the poor cornerback covering him, "YOU F------ SUCK!"
    Oh and after dribbling on for a little bit about how this quote defines the Pats (which IMO isn't saying a whole lot about them) he drops this gem...
    Normally, I hate crap like that. Not this time.
    Right Bill not this time. Not when its your team.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-09-2007 at 04:23 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. #2
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    I found it funny that it's supposed to be his picks column, but he didn't pick any, even though his wife, who just gave birth, did.

    Besides that, I got as far as him comparing us to the Nazi's, and I couldn't read anymore.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    That's a ridiculous level of whining that about 0.1% of Patriots fans reach.

    Simmons is in a lunatic fringe and really makes all Patriots fans look bad if you take his thoughts as representative.

    As a diehard Pats fan I remember most of those calls going the other way but they were largely judgement calls that were not clear. I wan't really bothered by the two long pass interference calls, for example. There are so many judgments involved about who initiated contact, who was going for the ball when, was contact "incidental" etc.

    The dude is an entertaining writer about most things, but even Pats fans think that he whines too much.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-09-2007 at 04:50 PM.

  4. #4
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a ridiculous level of whining that about 0.1% of Patriots fans reach.

    Simmons is in a lunatic fringe and really makes all Patriots fans look bad if you take his thoughts as representative.

    As a diehard Pats fan I remember most of those calls going the other way but they were largely judgement calls that were not clear. I wan't really bothered by the two long pass interference calls, for example. There are so many judgments involved about who initiated contact, who was going for the ball when, was contact "incidental" etc.

    The dude is an enetertaining writer about most things, but even Pats fans think that he whines too much.
    Oh believe me I don't think he is representative of Pats fans at all. However I do think it speaks quite a bit about ESPN that they let this column be published as his Week 10 picks column when he doesn't pick a single damn game for this week.

    I know that if I was writing for a high school newspaper and my sports column was supposed to pick the winner of this weeks upcoming NFL games and I turned this in, I'd probably be told to redo it or at least write another column.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. #5
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,012

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Bill Simmons has always been nothing more than a arrogant *** who obviously thinks he's the greatest/funniest thing since sliced bread. Makes Kravitz look like the little sisters of the poor. That is not my opinion solely based on this piece of drivel.

  6. #6
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,598

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Someone needs to crush Simmons along with ESPN.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  7. #7
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh believe me I don't think he is representative of Pats fans at all.
    Oh yes he is!!!!!!! They are the biggest whinners and moaners I have ever seen. And that's when they win. I checked out patsfans.com today, Thursday, four days after the game and they had an 8 page thread about A BAR in Indy. 8 freaking pages about A BAR! Boston fans can't stand just winning, they have to have the drama about how they got screwed in the process of winning.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Well, Bill is a funny read, and he's a huge, huge, huge, Boston homer. That will never change regardless of who is paying him to write. Best to get used to it.

    I felt like there were bad calls both ways, although I felt like New England's bad calls were more...pivotal? Ya, that's appropriate. Regardless, not worth enough to write an entire column about.

    The other thing is him not publishing his picks is likely an oversight. Keep in mind he and The Sports Gal just had another baby, which is why there was no 2nd column this week. Could have easily been forgotten/misplaced.

  9. #9
    Member tdubb03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    I agree Bill Simmons is a New England area homer. I still like reading his humorous columns. It's time people stop treating ESPN like the CNN of sports coverage.

    And, unless you're the most homeriffic fan out there, the Colts obviously got some extremely judgmental calls in that game. I'm not saying in the past the Pats haven't gotten calls, but you can't, w/o bias, say the Colts didn't catch more than their share of breaks in that game.

  10. #10
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,417

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Simmons is a good writer, it's just a shame that he's also such an irrational, psychotic homer.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,200

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    I thought Simmons went a little overboard in this article. However, he's not the only one making this point. I listened to the entire Colin Cowherd radio show Monday, and he spent the first hour of his show essentially saying the same thing Simmons did, which was "The refs were awful, and the Colts were the beneficiaries." He even had Merril Hoge and Mark Schlereth on with him, and they agreed. As far as I know, Cowherd's not a New England homer.
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  12. #12
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as I know, Cowherd's not a New England homer.
    The only thing Cowherd knows is college football. I wouldn't trust his opinion on anything else. If he told me the sun would rise in the east I'd start looking to the west.

  13. #13
    Secret Agent Man-O.N.E. James Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Richmond
    Age
    24
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Yeah. First off. I did not like that column.

    At all.

    I can say that there were some bad calls that day, as there are in every game. There is always at least some call that no one likes during a game, you know, the ones where you stand up in front of your t.v. and yell for about an hour until something good happens for your team.

    But still, who can ***** and moan for that long about something?

    And he somewhat dissed Pele and Victory a little, even though he called it one of his favorite movies. I don't get that, and he sucks for dissing Victory, that movie was awesome..
    What a douche.

  14. #14
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,260

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The other thing is him not publishing his picks is likely an oversight. Keep in mind he and The Sports Gal just had another baby, which is why there was no 2nd column this week. Could have easily been forgotten/misplaced.
    Well he has an editor to keep him on track you know. It's not like he as free reign to write about whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He has to give his ideas, then have them approved. It's not only a reflection about him, it's a reflection on multiple ESPN employees and ESPN itself.

  15. #15
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I found it funny that it's supposed to be his picks column, but he didn't pick any, even though his wife, who just gave birth, did.

    Besides that, I got as far as him comparing us to the Nazi's, and I couldn't read anymore.
    guys....

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well he has an editor to keep him on track you know. It's not like he as free reign to write about whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He has to give his ideas, then have them approved. It's not only a reflection about him, it's a reflection on multiple ESPN employees and ESPN itself.
    his picks ARE on the page
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  16. #16
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    WEEK 10 PICKS

    (Home teams in caps)

    Falcons (+4) over PANTHERS
    Vikings (+6) over PACKERS
    CHIEFS (-3) over Broncos
    Bills (-2.5) over DOLPHINS
    SAINTS (-11.5) over Rams
    Browns (+9.5) over STEELERS
    TITANS (-4) over Jaguars
    PATRIOTS (-22) over Bye Week
    REDSKINS (-2.5) over Eagles
    Bengals (+4) over RAVENS
    CARDINALS (-1) over Lions
    GIANTS (+1.5) over Cowboys
    Bears (-3) over RAIDERS
    Colts (-3.5) over CHARGERS
    49ers (+10) over SEAHAWKS
    Last week: 6-8
    Season: 59-63-8
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  17. #17

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well he has an editor to keep him on track you know. It's not like he as free reign to write about whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He has to give his ideas, then have them approved. It's not only a reflection about him, it's a reflection on multiple ESPN employees and ESPN itself.
    I don't know if you read Page 2, but it's a *comedy* page. If you're taking any of Bill Simmons columns seriously, you're doing yourself a disservice. Having said that, he is fairly knowledgeable, but if you're expecting fair and balanced reporting, you're going to be waiting a while to get it. In fact, I'd say part of his "shtick" is that he's a Boston homer.

    And he pretty much does have free reign to write about whatever he wants. For instance, he went to a Red Sox game against the Devil Rays at the Tropicana and spent the whole article talking about how much the stadium sucked, how much the Devil Rays sucked, how there were more Sox fans in attendance than Rays fans, how they were selling Sox gear in the Devil Rays home field gift shop, and even showed a guy wearing a Devil Rays jersey with no name or number on the back because nobody worth having stuck around. Far more damaging and hurtful to a team/league than his most recent column, and not an eyelash was batted, because it's a humor column.

  18. #18
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,260

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Obviously you're missing my point.

    My post was in response to that him not making his picks was an oversight. I think it's a **** poor ran company. I don't put a whole lot of stock 90% of the people at ESPN say. It's too much entertainment instead of substance. If I want to listen to people yell just to be heard, I'll go to a town meeting, instead of watching STEPHEN A. SMITH.

    As far as if he did make his picks or not, I wouldn't know. Why would I want to read an article like that? I read his stuff all the time, but avoid it when I see that the whole story is going to be about the Pats.
    Last edited by Since86; 11-13-2007 at 02:14 PM.

  19. #19
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WEEK 10 PICKS

    (Home teams in caps)

    Falcons (+4) over PANTHERS
    Vikings (+6) over PACKERS
    CHIEFS (-3) over Broncos
    Bills (-2.5) over DOLPHINS
    SAINTS (-11.5) over Rams
    Browns (+9.5) over STEELERS
    TITANS (-4) over Jaguars
    PATRIOTS (-22) over Bye Week
    REDSKINS (-2.5) over Eagles
    Bengals (+4) over RAVENS
    CARDINALS (-1) over Lions
    GIANTS (+1.5) over Cowboys
    Bears (-3) over RAIDERS
    Colts (-3.5) over CHARGERS
    49ers (+10) over SEAHAWKS
    Last week: 6-8
    Season: 59-63-8
    They weren't when the article was originally posted.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  20. #20

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's too much entertainment instead of substance.
    ESPN Page 2 is entertainment, not news. The substance stuff is not on Page 2, never has been. It's as if you went to the comedy channel and complained that they don't have any good international news.

    Bill Simmons has a comedy schtick, and that is to be a caricature of a FANatic, portraying himself as an irrational, over-the-top red-eyed my-team-can-do-no-wrong fan. I don't think that even he believes half the stuff that he writes. Trust me, Boston fans read it, roll their eyes, and chuckle about the one-liners and references to porn stars.

  21. #21
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,260

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Geez, at this point in time I think someone could say the sky is blue and there would be an arguement started because someone would say it's perrywinkle.

    I know Page 2 is entertainment. See where I said that I read his stuff regularly? Also notice how I mentioned STEPHEN A. SMITH in the next line? I'm not just talking about Page 2 or Bill Simmons. I'm talking about the whole company.

    To me the whole company is comedy/entertainment because they suck at sports.

    And the sky is still blue.

  22. #22
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,598

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Geez, at this point in time I think someone could say the sky is blue and there would be an arguement started because someone would say it's perrywinkle.

    I know Page 2 is entertainment. See where I said that I read his stuff regularly? Also notice how I mentioned STEPHEN A. SMITH in the next line? I'm not just talking about Page 2 or Bill Simmons. I'm talking about the whole company.

    To me the whole company is comedy/entertainment because they suck at sports.

    And the sky is still blue.
    Agreed.

    ESPN is just plain terrible.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  23. #23
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Geez, at this point in time I think someone could say the sky is blue and there would be an arguement started because someone would say it's perrywinkle.

    I know Page 2 is entertainment. See where I said that I read his stuff regularly? Also notice how I mentioned STEPHEN A. SMITH in the next line? I'm not just talking about Page 2 or Bill Simmons. I'm talking about the whole company.

    To me the whole company is comedy/entertainment because they suck at sports.

    And the sky is still blue.
    I've been sick of ESPN for the past couple of years. I love NFL network. I wish the NBA would get its own channel.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been sick of ESPN for the past couple of years. I love NFL network. I wish the NBA would get its own channel.
    You mean like NBATV?

  25. #25

    Default Re: Bill Simmons whines about the officials...for an entire column...in a game his team won

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously you're missing my point.

    My post was in response to that him not making his picks was an oversight. I think it's a **** poor ran company. I don't put a whole lot of stock 90% of the people at ESPN say. It's too much entertainment instead of substance. If I want to listen to people yell just to be heard, I'll go to a town meeting, instead of watching STEPHEN A. SMITH.

    As far as if he did make his picks or not, I wouldn't know. Why would I want to read an article like that? I read his stuff all the time, but avoid it when I see that the whole story is going to be about the Pats.
    Well, if your point is "ESPN sucks", there's a perfectly good button called "New Thread" that you can use in the Shout Box to discuss it. How you planned on someone talking legitimately about Bill Simmons in a Bill Simmons thread to understand you were talking about all of ESPN, cable network and internet site, is beyond me, but I never claimed to be a great multitasker.

    And this wouldn't be the first time Bill has had something added to his column after the original deadline. It also isn't the first time in the history of the internet this has happened, and most of those mistakes didn't have associated excuses like "My wife just had our second child, so excuse me if I'm a little distracted and didn't get the picks out in a timely enough manner for you"

Similar Threads

  1. Odd thoughts about the Miami game
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •