Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wow does anyone go to pacers games anymore?

Default wow does anyone go to pacers games anymore?

besides the people on this board? that's amazing! it looks so empty for the clips game...a matchup of 2 undefeated teams and there are soooooo many empty seats! what's the deal?
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: wow does anyone go to pacers games anymore?

Well one big reason is its a Wednesday.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I agree with the fact that it is on a Wednesday, which makes it difficult for some people to make it out. Another reason is that people don't believe that everything that has ailed this team in the past is gone and are just not committed to spending the money and/or time to go.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AB1077 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with the fact that it is on a Wednesday, which makes it difficult for some people to make it out. Another reason is that people don't believe that everything that has ailed this team in the past is gone and are just not committed to spending the money and/or time to go.

and tonight proved right - not everything is A ok in Pacersland...

It was a bad loss. . .I'm not looking too much into it
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Don't worry. As long as Mal, Roaming Gnome, Unclebuck, Peck and . . . and . . . they wouldn't dare do anything drastic.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was there and it looked like the smallest crowd I've ever seen at Conseco.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

If/when the Pacers start winning again (these things are cyclical) the fans will come back. When the Colts suck again (again, these things are cyclical) Lucas Oil Field will be empty. Indy fans are some of the most fickle in all of sports, unfortunately. I remember going into the RCA Dome 10-12 years ago and the place was less than half full for a game against a division rival. Now, it's considered one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL.

Indy fans are indeed fickle. What you're seeing right now is the number of people who will generally give them a shot through thick and thin. I'd say Conseco was about 9,000 tonight.

Not sure why there is a "wow". I just feel fortunate to still have a franchise in Indy after the last 4 years.

Most of the people who attend the games right must be the hardest core Pacer fans. It will take winning and less police reports to bring back the masses...and that will not happen this year...maybe not for multiple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Indy fans are indeed fickle. What you're seeing right now is the number of people who will generally give them a shot through thick and thin. I'd say Conseco was about 9,000 tonight.
    You have to be pretty close; the box score says attendance was 10,122, which I believe is paid attendance otherwise teams would very rarely (never) actually have a game which the attendance matched the capacity. Of course there were certainly quite a few who never arrived tonight so there may very well have been less than 9k there.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As confirmed by the attendance figures, it was the fewest people I'd ever seen at a game.

I found myself looking into the rafters to see if they were installing curtain rods...

And, apropos of nothing, has anyone else been irritated by those hanging Verizon circular banners? I was on the Club level so I was able to see most of the end boards with player stats, but I can't imagine being in the end of the upper bowl and having them completely blocked. What a dumb thing to do.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    And, apropos of nothing, has anyone else been irritated by those hanging Verizon circular banners? I was on the Club level so I was able to see most of the end boards with player stats, but I can't imagine being in the end of the upper bowl and having them completely blocked. What a dumb thing to do.
    They cover the speakers, so your view would be blocked anyway....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Banned

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...78/1247/SPORTS

Kravitz is dead on why the fans are staying away. For all of you here who say that winning is all it will take to get fans back, I say that the fans are staying away as a result of 3 years of off court bad behavior by a few players.

I do think that economic conditions are taking a toll combined with the off court troubles.

Stephen Jackson is gone. Ron Artest is gone. We're playing an exciting brand of team basketball. What more do they want? If you're really going to skip out on a Pacers game because one of our players got caught driving with expired tags, I don't know what to tell you.

Indy fans just aren't good at supporting a mid level team. I am an Indy sports fan and will be for life but the fans out here in DC, at least in regards to the Redskins, kick our butts, plain and simple. Their football team was very mediocre last year, all their games are sold out, and during the summer there was a freaking show on TV that analyzed every day of training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Stephen Jackson is gone. Ron Artest is gone. We're playing an exciting brand of team basketball. What more do they want?
    Time.

It's gonna take a little time for people to regain interest.

Tickets on the street are bargains though and plentiful. Last night it was second row court side for very reasonable money.

Some of you seem surprised by this. With few exceptions this is the norm for most cities.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Those of you who expect a win streak to restore attendance to former (barely adequate) levels immediately are viewing people too simply. There is more to life than a) "attend a Pacers game" or, b) "don't attend a Pacers game." Very few people have been throwing tantrums for the past 3 years, holding their breath until the Pacers become model citizens and/or a playoff favorite again.

Instead of that, people have found entertainment alternatives. They've bought season tix to ISO or IRT or IU or Purdue or something more low-brow, if you prefer. Suffice it to say there are a thousand things a person can get involved in. Maybe they've spent the money they would have spent on tickets on a trip to Nepal instead. Maybe they've got kids in school and are committed to attend girls' volleyball games a lot of nights. Maybe they really love their spouse and would rather [insert sexual euphemism here] for the 9,784th time than attend any spectator sport event there ever was. (Robin Williams' character in Good Will Hunting gets it right.)

Those people aren't going to come back immediately when the Pacers start winning, because they aren't going to notice it immediately. Their attention is elsewhere. And if they do notice it eventually, many of them will still attend fewer games or no games this year because their time or money is committed elsewhere.

I don't think it will say anything bad about these new Pacers or even the marketing effort if attendance for this whole season is below 14,000. This year's attendance will be a reaction to the past.

The most likely course of progress will be for the Pacers to play the right way (and stay off the police blotter) this year, get some momentum in the win column next year, and expect a substantial boost in attendance the following year.

Last edited by Putnam; 11-08-2007 at 12:31 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

A city the size of Indianapolis doesn't have citizens with enough money to support two franchises at once. Ask the Colts during the 90's when it seemed almost all their games were blacked out when they played at home. Indianapolis fans support the most successful franchise regardless of off the court issues. If the Pacers had won 50 games the past two seasons we wouldn't even be talking about Club Rio and some of the other incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgin56 View Post
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...78/1247/SPORTS

Kravitz is dead on why the fans are staying away. For all of you here who say that winning is all it will take to get fans back, I say that the fans are staying away as a result of 3 years of off court bad behavior by a few players.

I do think that economic conditions are taking a toll combined with the off court troubles.
    If the Pacers were to win 50 games this season, make at least the second round of the playoffs, play good basketball the whole year, and have one or two players get arrested for another bar incident do you think attendance would still be at 9,000? I'm gonna tell you right here and now it wouldn't be. Attendance would be close to sell outs every game if the team was winning regardless of what off the court issues were occuring.
    Off the court issues just help people get more frustrated when a franchise losing. They barely play a role when a franchise is winning. Ask the Blazers. They had all sorts of issues when JO was there, but they were making the conference finals and winning lots of games so no one cared about the off the court issues. Then they started to age weren't playing the same kind of basketball, but the off the court issues were still there and just became another thing for a frustrated to fan base to complain about.

I went last night. 10,000 hardly...5,000 maybe.

I think I know why people don't go. It isn't fun. The building is dead. They pipe in fake crowd noises. You're constantly distracted by wannabe morning radio DJ's screaming at you from the big screen about getting up and dancing. Who the hell is in charge of selecting music? There were three of us last night and we all *****ed about the music choices (except when that guy with the breathing machine won the Tinsley autograph and they immediately played Billy Joel's "Only The Good Die Young". We thought that was poignant and hilarious.) Really though Ami Stewart's disco version of "Knock on Wood", "In Da Club" by 50 Cent, a couple of Coug's old standard's. Hopeless.

Beer! $6.50 They were warm all night. It wasn't just us either. A guy in front of me in line got into it with the "bartender" over the beer temp. Her answer was "I'm just the bartender". He said "I'm just letting you know you're serving warm beer" then had a few choice words to yell at her as he walked away. They were serving 'em warm on all three levels.

The fact that they lost just made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    A city the size of Indianapolis doesn't have citizens with enough money to support two franchises at once.
    Marion County pays out $36 billion a year in wages. Only about $110 million is needed to sell out both arenas for every game. (The Star had an article that we spend about $64/person on Halloween, and that would be $110 million on just one night.) There is enough money. There are just other ways to spend it that watching the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    I'm gonna tell you right here and now it wouldn't be.
    You can't possibly know that. I've said my opinion and you've said yours, but neither of us can "tell you right here and now." People are too complicted.

Let's let Dr. Goldfoot break the tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot
    I think I know why people don't go. It isn't fun.

He's in three bands, so he ought to know.
    Last edited by Putnam; 11-08-2007 at 02:18 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

I have given up trying to figure out why people go and why people don't go. I enjoy going to the games - you pick up things being there in person that you cannot see on TV - you get a different feel for what is going on being there in person. I contend you get a more accurate read on what is going on by being there in person.

Sure a lot of the non-basketball stuff drives me nuts, but I've learned to block them out. Sure the ticket prices are way too much. Sure the beer is warm - really I have no idea about whether it is or not. Sure the Pacers team isn't going to win a championship this season. Sure the atmopshere in the building is dead, dead, dead - although in the first two home games it wasn't completely dead.

I still thoroughly enjoy going to games in person. If I continued going to games over the past two seasons through some family and money issues, I'm certainly not going to stop going now when both of those issues have changed one for the better and one just changed.

The bottom line is I have a lot of fun going to the games.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-08-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Marion County pays out $36 billion a year in wages. Only about $80 million is needed to sell out both arenas for every game. There is enough money.

Thats not considering all the other sorts of things the average person spends their money on before they get to things like sports tickets.