Thread: Question Of The Day Nov. 6: Who Is The Pacer's Best Defender?

Default Question Of The Day Nov. 6: Who Is The Pacer's Best Defender?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_the_pacers_v2.html

Q. It seems this year we've upgraded a lot on offensive help and good solid, fundamental players that will really help this team, but what about defense? I think the players we have right now are capable of playing a great team defense but I was wondering who you thought the best defender on the team was? Who are you planning to guard Kobe Bryant, Gilbert Arenas, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James? Statistically it would be Jermaine O'Neal who's the best, but is there a really good, one on one shutdown defender on this team that is overlooked, if so who? (From Mathew in Madison, Wis.)
    A. I would say on the interior our best defensive player is Jermaine O’Neal. I think on the perimeter, if we were starting Jamaal Tinsley, Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy, I think the best option to play LeBron James or Kobe Bryant would be Danny Granger. I think guys that could be very, very good defensive players on an interior basis, I think Jeff Foster is very good, I think David Harrison is very good. I think Murph (Troy Murphy) is probably a little better than people give him credit for. I think Ike (Diogu) can be a solid defender. On the perimeter, I think Andre Owens in particular, is a very good defender that can guard both the one and two spots. We’re hoping that basically everybody that is on our team continually improves on their defense. Certainly, we’ll work with the fundamentals to try to dramatically improve people throughout the course of the year, never thinking that somebody is at this level defensively and they’re not going to rise. We’re always trying to make guys better defensive players.
    Some things he didn't say stood out, and something else he did say stood out to me.

Werid that he didn't mention Shawn. Didn't O'Brien say that Shawn is the second best defender on the team last month? Also, people talk a lot about Marquis being a good defender and he wasn't mentioned either. I guess maybe Jim was just talking about the SG/SF starters, and not the backups.

Also interesting that he said "I think David Harrison is very good." That's defiantly a good thing.

I really like having Diener/Owens as our backups. I think that they complament each other very well. I think that Owens can give us some big, important minutes on defense this year.

Default Re: Question Of The Day Nov. 6: Who Is The Pacer's Best Defender?

I think on the perimeter, if we were starting Jamaal Tinsley, Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy, I think the best option to play LeBron James or Kobe Bryant would be Danny Granger.
    Thanks for the breaking info.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why such cynicism? Personally I find it a turn-off. That is going to sound like a personal attack, but it's "merely" a reaction to the latest instance in which I've seen this attitude. It reminds me of people who gripe at the broadcasters for explaining a basic aspect of basketball. It's made for all audiences; both the well-versed and the newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Personally I find it a turn-off.
    Fine...but you just lost yourself a Valentine's Day card.

I understand it's for kids and such too, but c'mon, he could have said it better. "Danny is our best starting perimeter defender" or "Danny is probably our best perimeter defender" wouldn't have made him sound like Tim McCarver.

I mean, dude essentially said, "I think if I was offered a $5 bill, a $10 bill and a $20 bill, I think I would take the $20 bill."

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I understand it's for kids and such too, but c'mon, he could have said it better. "Danny is our best starting perimeter defender" or "Danny is probably our best perimeter defender" wouldn't have made him sound like Tim McCarver.

I mean, dude essentially said, "I think if I was offered a $5 bill, a $10 bill and a $20 bill, I think I would take the $20 bill."
    But $5 and $10 bills don't get their feelings hurt.

... usually ...
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Rommie, on OB's radio show he said that Dick harter thinks Williams is our second best defender, O'Brien said that he doesn't agree with Harter though.

I found it interesting that in the Grizzlies game JO guarded Gasol whenever they were both in the game. In years past under Carlisle, Jeff guarded Gasol. I'll be very interested to see if O'Brien starts putting JO on the best offensive player instead of Jeff. I've said for years that Jeff is a better one-on-one defender than JO, but JO is a better help defender blocking shots and "defending the paint". it appears that OB is asking JO to take the challange of defending the best big.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-07-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Jermaine is our best defender - hands down. I would say JO is a top 5 defensive player. Not only does he block shots.....but he changes the game outside the stat sheet (taking charges, protecting the basket, etc.)

Danny and Foster would be our next top defenders. I think both are above average by NBA standards. Foster has always been pretty good on D, but Danny has really stepped it up this year.

Everyone else is average at best.

Shawne & David have the tools to be very good some day.

I think Granger is our most improved defender thus far - and he wasn't bad last season either. I could make a strong argument that he's our best defender as he has the toughest job defending the best scorer almost every night.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What I find striking is that there is no mention of Daniels. In his limited playing time he has shown to put pressure on the opposition and tip a lot of balls. He is averaging 1.3 steals in 21 mpg.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'm quite shocked but pleased to hear Harrison referred to as a possibly top defender.

Of course, the constant fouling has been a problem. But I didn't know that a gem of a defender was behind the mask.

Can anybody expand on why Harrison is such a potentially good defender?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Can anybody expand on why Harrison is such a potentially good defender?
    He is a good shot blocker - an excellent shot blocker and when you consider how few minutes he has actually played in his career - it is impressive. he does have a big body, so he can body up people in the paint.

Other than that though, I have no idea what O'Brien sees in him. But I will say his team defense has improved a lot - it has gone from awful, just awful, to OK, just OK. DH is very much a work in progress.

Seems like Ike has taken the lead from Harrison as far as being totally lost in the team concepts. Ike needs to show he can pick it up or his minutes will decrease quite a bit.

Harrison also does have good athleticism for such a big guy.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    He is a good shot blocker - an excellent shot blocker and when you consider how few minutes he has actually played in his career - it is impressive. he does have a big body, so he can body up people in the paint.

Other than that though, I have no idea what O'Brien sees in him. But I will say his team defense has improved a lot - it has gone from awful, just awful, to OK, just OK. DH is very much a work in progress.

Seems like Ike has taken the lead from Harrison as far as being totally lost in the team concepts. Ike needs to show he can pick it up or his minutes will decrease quite a bit.

Harrison also does have good athleticism for such a big guy.
    The Memphis game really showed how much more Hulk needs to develop. His lateral quickness is still poor and that explains why he finds himself out of position. When the refs make it a finesse game, DH is going to struggle mightly. But when the refs let the teams grind it out (miami game), we will see David play better and longer. He has to understand the flow of the game. Many of the Pacers adjusted to the quick whistle. David and Ike did not. In more ways than none we are going to be playing aggressive teams in our divison. But Memphis has always been the finesse team. Darko had the same problem as DH. Not adjusting.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 11-07-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Well Ike is out now, so Harrison is gonna have to continue to step his game up.

Marquis is not bad of a defender. I think he gives up size, that's his only weakness!!!
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    Marquis is not bad of a defender. I think he gives up size, that's his only weakness!!!
    I would say that Marquis is an average on-ball defender. His length helps him out and he can adequately defend three positions. His true defensive strength is playing the passing lanes and coming with deflections and steals. This aspect alone does not make him a good defender (see Tinsley), but when combined with his adequate on-ball defense, it makes him an asset at that end of the floor.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I'm not too surprised to see Harrison getting some props from JOB. How many legit 7 footers in the league are as athletic as David? As someone else pointed out, he's had a ton of blocks for the amount of time he's been on the floor. He's been helping out on other players quite a bit which I think has been part of the reason the team has "inexplicably" made some great runs with him in the game. However, I believe this can leave him out of position at times for rebounds. The reason I don't think that hurts us, however, is we usually have a number of other players on the floor that are quite capable of grabbing boards. He definitely needs to adjust to how refs are calling a particular game, and it will be important for him to shed his reputation as a fouler, because that will only beget more fouls being called, more frustration on David's part, and the cycle continues. JOB definitely made a strong statement on David's behalf, so JOB must be seeing the potential in practice that makes many think David could be a top 5 center in the league. Hopefully through gametime experience David can continue learning and adjusting his game.