Thread: The Jim O'Brien show for November 8 2007 (The darn link actually works now)

Default The Jim O'Brien show for November 8 2007 (The darn link actually works now)

I'm home tonight so I will be able to record it and have it online I'd say within 15 minutes of it finishing it up. *removed*

Default Re: The Jim O'Brien show for November 8 2007

Damn, maybe I shouldn't have said anything. It's too busy right now; I can't get the stream going. If I can't get in in 5 minutes = No recording.

Still can't get on.....

Wait, no my sound card is ****ing up instead; i was online the whole time....

OK PC is restarted, sound is working, recording now. Sounds like I just beat the start of the show; their news update is on right now.

Here we go...!

Just said Troy's going to be starting again soon. Didn't necessarily say next game, but that that is the plan.

Listen for yourselves for the details (because it's too much to relay), but I really like what I'm hearing about the defense. It's consistent (we do the same thing every game, there's no major changes depending on the opponent), so the players can continue to build on what they're learning about it, and as they have their daily film session(s), the players are telling Jim after he points something out, 'I didn't realize that' or 'I didn't know I was(n't) doing that', and I think as the year goes on this D will really get more consistently good.

Jim said he prefers a minimum of 3 3-point shooters on the floor when JO is on the floor, which sounds like why he wants Murph starting (since I highly doubt he counts Jamaal as one of his 3; in fact in the same breath he spoke of Jamaal's driving ability. If JO's in the paint, and JT's driving, that leaves 3 slots for 3 3-point shooters).

Show ended a little early; I'm about to start editing and will have it uploaded shortly.....

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thanks MR. Yours worked for me.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Well then.

My link works now.

Default Re: The Jim O'Brien show for November 8 2007 (The darn link actually works now)

I must say when I listened to the show, I heard everything I wanted to hear - his in depth discription of the defense - even though none of it was a surprise - it still was extremely exciting to hear.

The whole show (except for a few weird callers) was just excellent.

Not sure if anyone else caught O'Brien's slip of the tongue, when he almost called JO a center. In fact he had to correct himself and suggest that Shawne Wiliams would be the center with JO playing forward. - I got a chuckle out of that.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-09-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Default Re: The Jim O'Brien show for November 8 2007 (The darn link actually works now)

I don't understand what the coach means by "shrink the court."

I heard what he said, and understand the defense needs to rotate better and eliminate the spaces that an opponent can pass into or drive through. But why does he describe that as shrinking the court?

What I liked best was his assertion that the Pacers always want to make the other team adjust to them. I suppose that is just basic good coaching, but I think O'Brien means it.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Not sure if anyone else caught O'Brien's slip of the tongue, when he almost called JO a center. In fact he had to correct himself and suggest that Shawne Wiliams would be the center with JO playing forward. - I got a chuckle out of that.
    Is that about JO wanting a spot on the All Star or All NBA team?

If so, he may be better being a center, as Shaq is declining and Garnett is now in the East.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I don't understand what the coach means by "shrink the court."

I heard what he said, and understand the defense needs to rotate better and eliminate the spaces that an opponent can pass into or drive through. But why does he describe that as shrinking the court?

What I liked best was his assertion that the Pacers always want to make the other team adjust to them. I suppose that is just basic good coaching, but I think O'Brien means it.
    I forget the exact context in which OB mentioned the phrase "shrink the court" - I mean I know it was in regards to the defense. My guess is you want to more or less suffocate the offense, make them feel like the court is small as if we have defenders covering every inch of the court.

I appreciated his honest approach to his defense and what they are trying to do. Cut off the lane being the first goal and then trying to defend the 3 which he admitted they haven't done a very good job yet and that was a weakness of his teams in Boston and Philly.

One question I would like to ask him - why are JO and Jeff's rebounding numbers down and if he thinks it is the result of his defensive system - I think it is, but I would like to hear his explanation of why that is and if they are doing something wrong.

The thing about JO and not wanting to be called the center is just his desire not to be "the center". I forget the exact game but it was a road game and the opposing team's announcers made a point at how emphatic JO was about making sure the PA guy did not introduce JO as the Pacers center. Whether it is Jeff, Troy, Shawne, Granger or who ever is the next biggest player in the pacers lineup - JO refuses to be called the center.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-09-2007 at 09:16 AM.