Thread: Position Change Votes

Default Position Change Votes

This has been an issue for as long as this league has been around.

I hope to get together with Displaced Knick once he returns & sort this out once and for all.

As we were putting the league together I had hoped that Able's site would be open before the season & in an effort to set some guidelines going into the draft I decided to use NBA.com as our sole reference for multi-position players.

During the draft the Sport.ws site opened up & we started using their listing for multi-position players.

We still hoped to move to Able's site & use the NBA.com info for all our players.

Sports.ws has thrown us a curve ball, so this is what I would like to see happen.

1. I think we should use the multi-positions for the players that Sports.ws has given us. I'd like to carry those over should Able's site become active in the coming weeks. That would include the players we have voted on.

2. Since we started the draft with the intent on using the NBA.com player postions on Able's site, I think we should pass any vote that uses NBA.com as a reference.

An example of this was the recent vote on Brian Scalabrine.

The vote to allow him to play CF failed, but the NBA.com site does in fact list him as a CF. If we had already moved to Able's site he would be listed as a CF. I think we should allow him that position on Sports.ws as well.

Here is the link for Scalabrine

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brian_...ine/index.html

If any other votes come up & reference only NBA.com, please vote yes. We went into the draft with just that idea. I'd rather not change the rules in the middlle of the game.

Default Re: Position Change Votes

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This has been an issue for as long as this league has been around.

I hope to get together with Displaced Knick once he returns & sort this out once and for all.

As we were putting the league together I had hoped that Able's site would be open before the season & in an effort to set some guidelines going into the draft I decided to use NBA.com as our sole reference for multi-position players.

During the draft the Sport.ws site opened up & we started using their listing for multi-position players.

We still hoped to move to Able's site & use the NBA.com info for all our players.

Sports.ws has thrown us a curve ball, so this is what I would like to see happen.

1. I think we should use the multi-positions for the players that Sports.ws has given us. I'd like to carry those over should Able's site become active in the coming weeks. That would include the players we have voted on.

2. Since we started the draft with the intent on using the NBA.com player postions on Able's site, I think we should pass any vote that uses NBA.com as a reference.

An example of this was the recent vote on Brian Scalabrine.

The vote to allow him to play CF failed, but the NBA.com site does in fact list him as a CF. If we had already moved to Able's site he would be listed as a CF. I think we should allow him that position on Sports.ws as well.

Here is the link for Scalabrine

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brian_...ine/index.html

If any other votes come up & reference only NBA.com, please vote yes. We went into the draft with just that idea. I'd rather not change the rules in the middlle of the game.
    I'm not sure what the point of this is. If we're going to use the sports.ws positions, use those positions. Who cares what NBA.com has?

We know that the results on able's site will already be screwed up unless we use the sports.ws positions. I don't know about everyone else in the KL but the way my lineup's been set has virtually no relation to how I'd have set them in ables league. Frex, in able's league Okur is a center only. On sports.ws he's a C/F. On able's site I'd have listed him at the top of my lineup so all his minutes count. On sports.ws he's 4th or 5th. On able's site my only G/F is Joe Johnson. On sports.ws I have several. And since Abdur-Rahim had center eligibility in able's league my guess is I'd never have dropped him.

The other option - and at some point we'll just have to make that call, is to decide that sports.ws is the "official" league site. Obviously there's some coding issues going on with able's site - eventually it will be better to use it as a test/practice site and get all the bugs worked out so we can have a site that's good to go for next season.

I have no particular love for sports.ws - love the scoring system but they left everyone high and dry last season and it could happen next year too. Plus I'd bet able's put thousands of dollars worth of man-hours into developing the new site. At the same time, I know how upset people get when scores aren't entered correctly immediately - the Keeper League's already had one owner complaining because some scores weren't immediately entered the night of the game even though anyone who's been on the site for any period of time knows that happens fairly regularly. Do we want to subject able to that right away?

If we're going to use the sports.ws positions, then let's use them and let any vote stand or fail on its own. He's going to have to import the positions completely anyway. If he can't use the sports.ws positions then I'd say on able's site we ignore any results from the games where the lineups would be set before we switch - if my team's any indication, things would be screwed up enough to where those games wouldn't mean anything - if we moved to it today it should be a 52 game season and the first 4 should go down as exhibitions and not count in the standings at all.

But again, at some point the league that's running will have to be our "official" league. Not saying we have to decide that now, but we probably have to do that fairly soon - otherwise things will be completely messed up and we'll never make sense of anything.

So for the Keeper League, for any vote that comes up, vote what you think is correct. Use NBA.com positions rankings to whatever degree of importance you think appropriate. If most of the people in the league thinks that merits an automatic "yes" vote, then those votes will go through. If most people on the league think they don't, then they won't.

Whatever votes are, if we move to able's site and use the sports.ws positions, then those will transfer whatever they are. If we move to able's site and use the nba.com positions (plus whatever votes we've made on PD), everything will be messed up from the first few games anyway - no matter what votes have or haven't been passed.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a serious problem with importing nba.com positions mid-season as the main position call.

Even though I'm a new owner in the KL, I think that would completely screw things up. NBA.com has some real issues this season with some completely inaccurate positioning.

For instance, on my player Boris Diaw, he played backup center, and power forward all last year, and still does so this year.

When Amare was out in the preseason, Diaw started at C, and when Amare came back, Diaw played backup center, and PF.

Now this week Amare is out again, and Diaw starts at C.

So, if we go with what nba.com says mid season, now Diaw is a G\F, and that isn't even close, so it's going to screw some teams up completely.

I agree with DK's idea with leaving sports.ws as the main site this season, and let able tweak, and tes his site this season.

And also a better reason to wait until next season to make Able's site the main one, so that he doesn't have to deal with all of the immediate scoring, and roster issues, and complaints.

I think since sports.ws has been the main site all these years, even though they did come in late, and leave us out to dry for a while, it has the most accurate positions.
    Last edited by burnzone; 11-06-2007 at 12:27 AM.

Thats more than fine for me.

I was under the impression that we were moving to Able's site whenever it was ready.

If we're sticking with Sports.ws for this season then I'm with you on the NBA.com player positions.

I just didn't want to go back and forth from one to the other.

As long as we're staying where we are I don't mind using the "convince me" method that we've used all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats more than fine for me.

I was under the impression that we were moving to Able's site whenever it was ready.

If we're sticking with Sports.ws for this season then I'm with you on the NBA.com player positions.

I just didn't want to go back and forth from one to the other.

As long as we're staying where we are I don't mind using the "convince me" method that we've used all along.
    Well, I haven't 100% reached that point yet but eventually we're just going to have to - I don't think we can realistically switch once the season gets too far along. It would be too confusing.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm with getting this resolved one way or another quickly as well. If we stick with the WS positions then I don't have to make a trade when Odum comes back. If we switch, then I will need to since Bosh is not a C on NBA.