Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody here had Lasik?

Default Re: Anybody here had Lasik?

Good Luck. I don't thin you'll be disappointed. Let us know how it works out for you.

I had it about 5 months ago and it went very well. I had 20/20 the very next morning.

No halos, or double vision, or oversensetivity to light.... I could only barely see at night before the surgery but my night vision is very good now. One thing that I will complain about though is that my eyes feel dry more often now than before the surgery although it's not really a big issue or anything, but I do usually carry eyedrops with me nowadays and use them probably once a day around midday.

teY dennaB toN

Well hopefully at this time time tomorrow I still have some sort of vision.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well hopefully at this time time tomorrow I still have some sort of vision.
    going with it? best of luck - tell us your experience

Good Luck Spicoli. I hope it all goes well for you.

Let us know what your experience was like.

teY dennaB toN

Well that was fun. I had the procedure at about 11:30 yesterday morning. They gave me a nametag (interesting), some valium (good times!), some post-op instructions, and some eye drops and goggles. Then they stuck me in a dark room for about 20 minutes where I had the option of listening to John Mayer to relax. I declined because of the weirdness.

After that, they shuffled me into the laser room laid me back on some swivel chair and gave some weird anxiety pillow to grip or something. Then they cut open the flaps using intralase, couldn't feel a thing. But it was definitely odd when they pulled off the flap and everything went to blur-ville. Then they swiveled me to the other laser, made me look at a pretty, orange flashing light. Lots of weird noises were made (not by me). Then they sealed up the flap and I could actually smell the burn the laser put on the eye. Then, the process was repeated for the other eye, and that was it. Total time, maybe 10 minutes. (and $4000, woo!!!). I could tell the procedure worked because I could read far away stuff I never could before, but it was a bit like looking through wax paper until I went to sleep.

After the numbing drops started to wear off (about 30 minutes), I did have a bit of discomfort keeping my eyes open (stinging, irritated). Not bad at all, but annoying. I put my supply-kit goggles on and promptly fell asleep for about 6 hours. Got up and ate a bit of leftover, diarrhea-inducing japanese food, then fell asleep for another 3 or 4 hours until the diarrhea food was released via exploding colon. (bad decision). I took another valium and basically drifted in and out of sleep till about 6:30 this morning.

I got up and started the post-op eye drops and went for my follow-up appointment at 8:15. I was out of there by 8:30. Already have 20-15 vision in my right eye, and better than 20-20 in the left. Couldn't quite get the 20-15 line yet with the left though. I'm sure that will happen next week. The doc said it looked like my eyes had been healing for a month already, but I think he was just BS'ing me to make me feel good for spending a butt load of money. Either that or because sleeping for 18/21 hours really really helped.

Anyway, it's less than 24 hours since I had it done and I can already see better than I could since I was probably 6 years old (or better). So, yes, this was money well spent...
    Last edited by Spicoli; 01-12-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Extropianism FTW!

Be careful, Spicoli. Don't overdo it for a while... wear good sunglasses, use those eyedrops religiously (#1 cause of complications is dry eyes... your eyes literally can't be too wet this week), don't watch a ton of TV, etc.

But yeah, it's pretty awesome.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

teY dennaB toN

Thanks for the advice Anthem. I did buy a butt-load of those artificial tears to keep things moist. Trying not to do too much reading, watching TV, etc.

Oh, and I won't lie, I had to look up "extropianism".

Thanks for the advice Anthem. I did buy a butt-load of those artificial tears to keep things moist. Trying not to do too much reading, watching TV, etc.
    Best thing for a new Lasik case: audiobooks. Lock yourself in a dark room and listen to audiobooks until you go crazy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Best thing for a new Lasik case: audiobooks. Lock yourself in a dark room and listen to audiobooks until you go crazy.
    Now that's some good advice right there. Not being able to watch TV or be on the PC for a while will kill me because I do those so often. BUT I do have an iPod I could load up with some audio books.

I'm no where near ready for this (unless we start a PD collection for $4000), but I plan to do this some day if the docs tell me my eyes can handle it (I do have some dry eye issues, though not too bad).

teY dennaB toN

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Now that's some good advice right there. Not being able to watch TV or be on the PC for a while will kill me because I do those so often. BUT I do have an iPod I could load up with some audio books.

I'm no where near ready for this (unless we start a PD collection for $4000), but I plan to do this some day if the docs tell me my eyes can handle it (I do have some dry eye issues, though not too bad).
    Mal, are you full-time teaching yet? If so, you'll want to check to see if you have some sort of health-care spending or flexible spending account. My plan allows me to spend up to $2000 per year on a tax free basis (on health care crap including lasik), and the funds are available at the first of the year, even though it will be taken out of my pay pro-rata for the entire year.

Also, if you really want to work that system, you could basically spread the cost over 2 years, because your funds stay in the account until the 2nd or 3rd month after the year is over. So, theoretically, you could start the account now, have your payroll deductions taken out for this year tax-free, and then get your surgery scheduled for January 2009, when both years of your HSA ($4000) would be available. So, it's kind of like 0% financing, only better because you don't pay taxes on that amount either...

Mood

I'm not full-time yet, though hopefully starting this August I will be.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My Mom had it done and I don't remember her having to rest her eyes that long.

She slept for the recommended 3-4 hours I think it was, then just was careful not to strain them for a the next few days/week.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

teY dennaB toN

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    My Mom had it done and I don't remember her having to rest her eyes that long.

She slept for the recommended 3-4 hours I think it was, then just was careful not to strain them for a the next few days/week.
    My instructions were to have my eyes open as little as possible for the first 24 hours; then, as Anthem said, not to overdo it for the next 4 or 5 days. Although a little TV, etc. is ok.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My instructions were to have my eyes open as little as possible for the first 24 hours; then, as Anthem said, not to overdo it for the next 4 or 5 days. Although a little TV, etc. is ok.
    It has been awhile, but I'm pretty sure her instructions were 3-5 or so hours of rest, with eyes shut, then don't strain them, but I could be wrong.

Get the iPod ready, I guess.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    It has been awhile, but I'm pretty sure her instructions were 3-5 or so hours of rest, with eyes shut, then don't strain them, but I could be wrong.

Get the iPod ready, I guess.
    Could be different procedures. But I had mine done on Friday, and left work Monday at 3 feeling like I was going to throw up from the nausea. But then I worked in what was about the most eye-intensive job there is, so I wasn't exactly a normal case.

Also, I got mine done when I lived in Vegas, so dryness and bright lights were kind of on a different level than in the midwest.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'm considering getting Lasik surgery as my eyes are starting to reject contacts and I despise wearing glasses.

Anyone here had Lasik? And, if so, was it a good experience. Any recommendations for doctors in Indy?
    I had it in January 2007. I spend a lot of time outdoors in the wind and contacts just weren't working for me any more.

I have 20/20 since the lasik in both eye's but the left isn't as good as the right. My right eye is absolutely perfect.

I had the halo/starburst deal for a few weeks and it went away.

My wife also had the lasik and the halo never went away.

I think we'd both do it all over again though as it's fantastic not needing glasses or contacts.
    Last edited by Twes; 02-13-2008 at 08:43 PM.

teY dennaB toN

What the Fuhhh-helll????

Twes? Holy crap how many drifters have gone missing the past year? Lots and lots of stew . . . . . .

Yeah, lasik was awesome. I never had the halos except around stoplights, but they were actually kind of cool.

Still use a few drops every now and again, but then again, I just dropped a deuce no more than 20 minutes ago. Some things never change.

Long live the tree people.

What the Fuhhh-helll????

Twes? Holy crap how many drifters have gone missing the past year? Lots and lots of stew . . . . . .

Yeah, lasik was awesome. I never had the halos except around stoplights, but they were actually kind of cool.

Still use a few drops every now and again, but then again, I just dropped a deuce no more than 20 minutes ago. Some things never change.

Long live the tree people.
    Heyyyyyyyyyy buddy. My favorite part of the lasik deal was the solid red eyes at work Monday.

I wish that wouldn't have gone away.

I kind of stopped counting [drifters].

I hope all is well with you sir.
    Last edited by Twes; 02-13-2008 at 08:42 PM.