Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do when Troy comes back

Default What to do when Troy comes back

I've been thinking alot about this the past few days. Obviously, Dun and Ike are the two gems of the trade last season. Both are playing phenomenal. Dun has finally found a system that works for him and Ike is showing everyone the potential we knew he had.

My problem is that Troy is the highest paid of the three and he plays at one of our deepest positions. I actually like our current frontcourt rotation of JO, Jeff, David, and Ike. On top of that, JOB seems to prefer going small at times by putting Danny at the 4. I'm sure he'll use Shawne in similar fashion when he returns.

Does it make sense to keep Troy around considering he's our second highest paid player? When I look back at the GS trade, the only downfall I now see is Troy and his salary. Other than that, we fleeced the Warriors.

Keep in mind that both Danny and Ike are up for extensions next summer. David is a restricted FA.

I would entertain trying to get an expiring contract for Troy sometime this season.

Sports Logo

Default Re: What to do when Troy comes back

I think Jeff has show with his very timely rebounding that he is the starter. I would have no problem letting Troy go. On the other hand I would have tossed DunDun off the lifeboat before the first three games. So maybe we should give him a few games.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I would entertain trying to get an expiring contract for Troy sometime this season.
    If they DON'T do that, Harrison is definitely a goner.

I'm not going to pass judgment Troy just yet until January or so when he's played under Obie's system for a bit. If he flounders in that situation, we have to find something else.

At this moment I think his value is rather low, and I don't see why any team who was about to get some financial relief from a big contract would simply forfeit their right to that and take on Murph's big contract and prolong their problem.

I'd drop him for an expiring contract in a second. I just don't see any team willing to do that. It would have been great if we could've talked the wolves into trading Howard for Murphy instead of just buying him out. At least we would only have a 2 years left on Howard. I just can't think of a team that desperate for a big man.

I really don't see anyone taking Troys contract on without getting out from under one of there own. I personally think Jeff is going to be the odd man out when Troy comes back. He is averaging 21 minutes a game now and I would not consider 5.7 rebounds a game showing O'bie that he is worth the lack of a game on O.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    At this moment I think his value is rather low, and I don't see why any team who was about to get some financial relief from a big contract would simply forfeit their right to that and take on Murph's big contract and prolong their problem.
    Exactly. Unless we bundle in some hot young talent, Troy's going to be here for a while.

Probably makes sense to see if there's any value to be had from Harrison. His play bumps him out of the "worthless" category and into "maybe worth a pick."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Troy will be starting with JO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Troy will be starting with JO.
    Until Foster wins his spot back. Like he always does.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Until Foster wins his spot back. Like he always does.
    Yeah, just like after we made the Bulls trade.

Troy will start the first quarter and 3rd quarters. Beyond that it will likely depend on matchups as to how much he'll play. But I also would not be surprised at all to see Jeff win his starting role back. I'll repeat something that I have said many times, Jeff and JO make an excellent defensive tandem and - no mattter who has been the coach, no matter what type of defensive system - those two work very well together on the defensive end. And I notice a rather large dropoff whenever david and Ike come in the game to replace JO and Jeff.

We also have to consider Shawne getting some power forward minutes.

My best guess is Harrison becomes a spot player who only gets minutes, when the Pacers need his size.

Ike is still in the regular rotation, but his minutes will fluxuate depending on how well he plays within a game. So there might be games where he plays 24 minutes and other games where he'll play 10.

Jeff will get his 15 minutes per game, more when they need his defense or energy.

I would like to see JO always kept below 35 minutes - there is no reason to play him more than that (barring OT or something out of the ordinary) Really I would like to see JO kept to 30 minutes per game.

Pacers have a ton of flexibility at the two big positions (as they do at the two wing positions) If they need to go big they can, if they need 3-point shooting they can. (I wonder if we'll ever see Troy and Shawne play together at the two bigs)

If you believe in strength in numbers, then the pacers will be in great shape up front - if you believe in quality over quantity - then you might be left wanting more quality.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-05-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Troy will start the first quarter and 3rd quarters. Beyond that it will likely depend on matchups as to how much he'll play.

I would like to see JO always kept below 35 minutes - there is no reason to play him more than that (barring OT or something out of the ordinary) Really I would like to see JO kept to 30 minutes per game.
    I think you're probably exactly right about this. I also agree with you 100% about JO.

I didn't see the Miami game, but Jeff seems to be one guy who's level of play hasn't really gone up much this year. I love to see him hit the jump shots, and I'm glad that he's allowed to take them. The rest of his game, however, hasn't been terribly impressive. When Troy is back, I think he'll definitely get a chance to be the starter. He's a better shooter than Jeff, and while he's not a better rebounder, I think he does a better job blocking out than Jeff, which will help on the defensive boards.

I see Harrison as the guy who will really lose minutes when Troy comes back. He may have a few DNP-CD's in his future. As for Danny and Shawne playing the 4, I think that's totally dictated by the opponent. O'Brien can play Danny as a PF against guys like Jamison and Warrick, who are both really SF's trying to play big. Against a team with two strong inside threats, you'll not see Danny or Shawne at the 4 much.

Limiting JO's minutes to 30-35 per game may be the key to keeping him healthy. He's clearly not 100% right now, so that's likely why his minutes are down, but I think that getting 30 good minutes a game out of JO during the regular season may be the ticket to getting 40 good minutes a game out of him during the playoffs.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sometimes I just don't get it.

This bitter hatred that some of you have for Troy Murphy is beyond me. Look the guy didn't play like we wanted last season so I understand that maybe there should be some dissapointment, but just the pure vile hatred of the guy I don't get.

Under O'Briens system I believe that he will be a very important player.

Could someone please explain to me what it is the guy does that makes you all want to give him away for an expiring contract?

You can't say defense yet because you have not seen him work in a Dick Harter system. You've only seen him function under a Chuck Person system and by that I mean no system.

He's a good passer, a good rebounder, a decent shooter for a big man, seems to not shy away from physical contact although he wasn't nearly as physical as I would like to see last season.

The only thing that I can see is that his defense is not what we would prefer based on a system that was in collapse.

I'm not saying the guy is great or even very good for that matter, but to be the focus of so much "let's trade him for nothing" talk is just baffling to me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

I don't understand the quandry that the Pacers will have when Murphy comes back. I thought that Murphy ( much like Dunleavy ) would be a player that benefits ( if not excel ) from the offense that JO'B runs.

I would consider the inclusion of Murphy back into the lineup as a "happy problem" then one of concern. At most, I would think that he would eat into Harrison's and Fosters's minutes. With the emphasis on scoring....I always thought that our PF/C rotation would consist of JONeal and Murphy getting the bulk of hte minutes....with Foster as the 1st Big Man off the bench...and then Ike and Harrison getting the remaining minutes based off of matchup and need.

If anything....with JO'Bs use of the majority of the bench to ensure that we have "fresh" legs to run up and down the court....the return of Murphy simply means that Harrison ( not Sims ) is the last Big Man that JO'B uses of the bench.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    Does it make sense to keep Troy around considering he's our second highest paid player? When I look back at the GS trade, the only downfall I now see is Troy and his salary. Other than that, we fleeced the Warriors.

Keep in mind that both Danny and Ike are up for extensions next summer. David is a restricted FA.

In today's Salary-cap conscious world, the reality is that we can't get something ( move a Huge long-term overpaid contract and get back an expiring contract ) without giving up something of value ( like packaging Murphy with Granger, Ike, JONeal, Shawne or Foster ).....we just have to live with what we have and pray that Murphy fits into JO'Bs system.

In addition...it could be argued that this thread is a few months too early to post. For now.....we have no idea how Murphy, a decent Big Man shooter that can hit the 3pt shot and stretch the defense, will do in JO'Bs offense. For all we know.....we maybe praising Murphy the same way that we have been praising Dunleavy over the last couple of games.

I will admit that I would entertain the idea of trying to get an expiring Contract for Murphy.....purely for salarycap reasons....but I contend that there is only 1 GM in the league that would voluntarily take Murphy's Big Contract and his name rhymes with Barry Lird.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

I would like to see Murphy in the system a while. I knoew everyone complains about the huge contract, but you can't blame him for signing it? Murphy should do better in a JOB system where he can have more opportunity to shoot the 3 ball, and grab weakside rebounds.

Peck, I agree, I think all of us, myself included need to give Murphy a chance under the new coaching staff and new system.

So I am more than willing to give him a chance. So we'll see

streets ahead

i think because he looked less than stunning in preseason people are down on him. maybe it is that ike has looked fairly good and jeff has a jumper now (sorta...). then there is shawne coming back and since we've seen danny at PF, we should expect shawne to get some play there too. meaning that our frontcourt might be strapped for minutes.

danny had a rough beginning of the preseason too and has obviously bounced back - dunleavy has responded the way many hoped he would to the new system (lets hope he continues). so we all need to see what troy has to offer. i don't think its a given that jeff will be starting, because as even UB has noted, jeff seems a little lost on defense (an odd odd situation where he's not rebouding or defending tremendously well but hitting a jumper). so we'll see. i agree that ultimately it is a good problem to have.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    i think because he looked less than stunning in preseason people are down on him. maybe it is that ike has looked fairly good and jeff has a jumper now (sorta...). then there is shawne coming back and since we've seen danny at PF, we should expect shawne to get some play there too. meaning that our frontcourt might be strapped for minutes.

danny had a rough beginning of the preseason too and has obviously bounced back - dunleavy has responded the way many hoped he would to the new system (lets hope he continues). so we all need to see what troy has to offer. i don't think its a given that jeff will be starting, because as even UB has noted, jeff seems a little lost on defense (an odd odd situation where he's not rebouding or defending tremendously well but hitting a jumper). so we'll see. i agree that ultimately it is a good problem to have.
    The way I look at it.....the return of Shawne and Murphy would only mean that we have a deeper bench and more reliable scoring options then before

PG - Tinsley / Diener / Owens
    SG - Dunleavy / Marquis / Rush
    SF - Granger / Shawne
    PF - JONeal / Ike
    C - Foster / Murphy / Harrison

That is a very solid 13-man rotation......a happy problem for JO'B if I ever saw one. In terms of how it would affect the Big Man rotation....I am guessing that Foster, Ike and Harrison would be relagated to Big Man RolePlayers based off of need...whether we need some quick scoring ( Ike ), Big Man defense but not as as much scoring ( Foster ) or a little of both ( Harrison ).

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Troy will start the first quarter and 3rd quarters. Beyond that it will likely depend on matchups as to how much he'll play. But I also would not be surprised at all to see Jeff win his starting role back. I'll repeat something that I have said many times, Jeff and JO make an excellent defensive tandem and - no mattter who has been the coach, no matter what type of defensive system - those two work very well together on the defensive end. And I notice a rather large dropoff whenever david and Ike come in the game to replace JO and Jeff.

We also have to consider Shawne getting some power forward minutes.

My best guess is Harrison becomes a spot player who only gets minutes, when the Pacers need his size.

Ike is still in the regular rotation, but his minutes will fluxuate depending on how well he plays within a game. So there might be games where he plays 24 minutes and other games where he'll play 10.

Jeff will get his 15 minutes per game, more when they need his defense or energy.

Pacers have a ton of flexibility at the two big positions (as they do at the two wing positions) If they need to go big they can, if they need 3-point shooting they can. (I wonder if we'll ever see Troy and Shawne play together at the two bigs)

If you believe in strength in numbers, then the pacers will be in great shape up front - if you believe in quality over quantity - then you might be left wanting more quality.
    Boy UncleBuck...I like what I've seen from David thus far, and I've been a harsh critic of his. If he can maintain consistency, I don't see any way the Pacers trade him, unless they're getting back a strong backcourt player, too valuable to turn down. Quality big men are hard to come by. Most of these guys come into the league, and about the best you can say is, "He's Large!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUa_E1CugU

I say Murphy is likely to start due to his shooting, but it won't last long because of his Stojakavicish defense. I'd actually prefer Harrison to start if he continues to play like he's playing.
    Last edited by NapTonius Monk; 11-06-2007 at 02:43 PM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I don't think Harrison is even close to starting. The Memphis game is prove of that. The dude has had 2 good games and you are ready to start him over Foster and Murphy.

Why would Foster get the start over Murphy? What has he done that is so outstanding in this system? He had one preseason game with monster rebound numbers.

No I think Murphy will get the start because he spreads the floor even more. Look at how many 12-15 footers that JO, Ike, Foster, and even Harrison have taken. I don't know our %s on those shots. But Murphy could help out more in that category. A long rebound can result in a fast break and a quick bucket on the other end.

Murphy's problem is that he is injury riddled. I am not sure he if he will be in the NBA by the time his contract is up. His health has regressed horribly in the last few years.

We may have a lot of Bodies at the other front court position, bt they are not as talented as we may think. Ike's defense is bad at times. Foster can't run the floor at all. He also is struggling rebounding when Ike and Harrison are on the floor with him. But I think that we don't notice it that much because Granger and Dun have stepped up.

I am more worried about this position than any other. Which is a shock because all of us wanted a better back court in some regard.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    Boy UncleBuck...I like what I've seen from David thus far, and I've been a harsh critic of his. If he can maintain consistency, I don't see any way the Pacers trade him,

It's already too late for that.

Harrison v. Wash: 15 points in 31 minutes.
    Harrison v. Mem: fouled out in 8(?) minutes with 2 points.

Harrison may yet learn to be consistent. But he has never yet been consistent.

Since this is a Murphy thread, I'll add my voice to those who say, Let the guy play.

Depth means there aren't enough minutes for everybody who deserves to play. It's a bad thing. Depth only becomes a good thing when another bad thing (injury to a starter) happens.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    I don't think Harrison is even close to starting. The Memphis game is prove of that. The dude has had 2 good games and you are ready to start him over Foster and Murphy.

Why would Foster get the start over Murphy? What has he done that is so outstanding in this system? He had one preseason game with monster rebound numbers.

We may have a lot of Bodies at the other front court position, bt they are not as talented as we may think. Ike's defense is bad at times. Foster can't run the floor at all. He also is struggling rebounding when Ike and Harrison are on the floor with him. But I think that we don't notice it that much because Granger and Dun have stepped up.

I am more worried about this position than any other. Which is a shock because all of us wanted a better back court in some regard.
    Excellent points about Foster. I agree completely. He's still a talented and useful player for sure, but Murphy has much more potential to be a strong contributer in this system.

I'm not worried about our frontcourt at all. It's been pretty solid and we've been without Murphy and JO's playing at around 75% or less. My biggest worry is still the PG position. Other than the 4th quarter of the Washington game, Tinsley hasn't shown me he's worth trusting.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold
    Foster can't run the floor at all.
    Is this true?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

It's 3 games into the season and he's already being written off because?

Is this his first time around the block? No, definately not. But show me a time when he actually got consistant playing time/opportunity to show he can be consistant.

I thought he played well above what the expectations he had before the season in the first two games. Sure he complained when he fouled, but also, who doesn't? He bodied up Shaq all game, and even was rooting him off the spot a couple of times, which is a rarity.

When Harrison starts getting consistant opportunities to show he can play consistantly, then I'll pass judgement. But pulling him for the rest of the game because he got foul #2 every time is hardly something I want to judge him on. Let him play. If he doesn't start making progress then sit his butt down and look at getting rid of him. A real geniune opportunity is something he's never had before.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

i think you could say that about every single person on our roster outside of JO. dunleavy's wrap is that he starts off hot and never manages to maintain. same with danny - that he has big games and then disappears. i suppose you could say that fosters energy and lack of layup making is consistent, but even his defense goes thru inconsistent periods (like the first three games this season). same with murphy, diogu, rush, tinsley, quis, shawne... the point with david isn't the inconsistency. it is his demonstrated incapability to learn and grow - especially in terms of temper/maturity. now maybe what happened in memphis was an anomaly - maybe he was just frustrated, like JO, and will move on and grow up. this is all we can hope for. because the first two games proved he belongs in the NBA talent-wise. he defended shaq quite well, he was shooting FTs well. he had a couple of tremendously timely blocks, meaning he doesn't freeze in the clutch. all great things. but i guess time will tell...
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 11-06-2007 at 03:42 PM.
    This is the darkest timeline.