Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You're Larry Brown. What do you change for Game 5?

Default You're Larry Brown. What do you change for Game 5?

I have no idea. We have some pretty keen basketball minds on this board... what do you think? My answer is "Hopefully nothing."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: You're Larry Brown. What do you change for Game 5?

I dunno about on defense, but they will probably try to exploit Croshere alot more when they are on offense if he is still starting. Don't think they went to his man much at all tonight, believe Brown mentioned that in his press conference.

I dunno about on defense, but they will probably try to exploit Croshere alot more when they are on offense if he is still starting. Don't think they went to his man much at all tonight, believe Brown mentioned that in his press conference.
    Brown may have said it, but it's not true. They were trying to go to Sheed on Cro, but Cro did an excellent job of fronting but getting back behind when it was time. I've never liked fronting the post, but it worked well tonight.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

LAPacer

Quit coaching the Pistons, and be an assistant for the Pacers.

Actually, Pacers only scored 83. So Brown just needs to work on better offense. Maybe, getting shots for Prince and Williamson.

AcneBrain

"You're Larry Brown. What do you change for Game 5?"

Your pants.

Someone on ESPN thought that he might try to have Prince guard Croshere and let Ben take Ron. If that were the case, the Pistons are gambling on Ron not being able to knock down alot of outside shots and that Wallace will stay out of foul trouble while guarding Artest, who is pretty good at drawing them.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?

Cro defended Sheed a couple of times, but he was on Ben Wallace much more often. And as far as I am concerned if they go to Ben as a primary scorer, that is fine with me. If Cro can keep him off the glass, that is what I worry about

I mentioned this on another thread, I could see the Pistons put Prince on Cro and ben on Artest. But then Arkman rightfully pointed out that Artest is away from the basket also, but then I would say yes he is but I think he is generally closer in than Cro .

Pistons will just play a lot better in game #5

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I'm LB, I don't change much. I maybe focus a little more on having guards drive the basket against Jamaal whenever possible because he won't be very mobile. I try to get Ron into early foul trouble.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Brown not only has to prepare better for Croshere, but he has to be ready in case JO, or Tinsley don't play because of their leg inhuries.

The good thing is I think if we play like we did last game we can play with Detroit even without JO or Tins. Heck our 2nd unit was doing okay against them in the 3rd game because they were moving the ball.

Have Rasheed guarantee game 5.

Brown in his post game press conference, made a big deal about the Pacers guards beating his guards off the dribble. So look for improvement there.

I have noticed that yes the pacers guard can beat their guards off the dribble, they try and pressure so much, that there are opportunites there. Even AJ is beating Billups, and we saw what a healthy Tinsley could do in game #1. Freddie was getting by his man a few times

DTropps

Hi,
    I am new to the boards. I was posting at another Pacer board but was told about this one. I understand this is a Pacer board and am not going to grind people here. I just love hearing the opposing side viewpoints.

To answer this question here I would say if I was Brown I would put Prince on Croshere (sp) and then put Ben on Artest.

I was at last night's game and I am a huge Ben fan. I have to say last night's game may have been one ofthe top 3 worst games I've seen play defensively (minus the boards). He tried to do a little of both - defend Croshere outside and help underneath and ended up doing neither. He was very tenative and quite honestly wouldn't have intimidated me in the paint last night. Last night was the first time I've ever posted anything like this about Ben so that's saying a lot.

Put Ben on Artest and I think we get the real Ben back. Oh and putting Prince on Croshere helps him as well. It's really a win-win situation I think for the Pistons.

Welcome to the board, DTropps.

I have to agree with you about putting Prince on Cro. If you have either of the Wallaces on him, it takes a key paint defender out of the play, and out of rebounding position. Great for the Pacers, but something Detroit will have to adjust.

Ron and Ben would be an interesting matchup.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Do you guys think Larry Brown is responsible for Billup's play? He hasn't been aggressive the whole series. Last night he hit 3 in a row, then went back in passive mode. He seems like the biggest x-factor for the Pistons now. I keep thinking Larry is holding him back from his streetball-hog game that he is so good at.

Really though, would you rather have Ben post up or have Billups create?

sweabs

Ben on Artest would be a real weird matchup...they are two, big strong guys. But I think if this matchup were to occur, Artest could get Ben into some foul trouble. This would also leave Jermaine some extra room down low if Artest stays a little more out on the perimeter.

Ben on Artest would be a real weird matchup...they are two, big strong guys. But I think if this matchup were to occur, Artest could get Ben into some foul trouble. This would also leave Jermaine some extra room down low if Artest stays a little more out on the perimeter.
    Thats exactly what I was just thinking. Ron seems to have moved his game out a little bit in the past couple games, so it could be a major advantage for us, keeping Ben out of the paint.

Burtrem, I think Larry does a pretty good job with Billups. He's the kind of guy who could easily be a scorer or a playmaker, and Larry seems to keep him at a happy medium. I'd rather take my chances with Ben posting up than have Billups get hot.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm pretty sure Larry will have his guys crash the boards. He'll send 4 and 5 men to the glass on every posession. He did that in the 2nd half of game 4 and it resulted in a TON of offensive boards, but it didnt matter cause we couldnt throw the ball in the ocean.

I also believe that Larry will throw in some new plays for when Croshere fronts the post again. Rasheed is a very goos passer, so I believe fronting him is to his advantage.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Thats exactly what I was just thinking. Ron seems to have moved his game out a little bit in the past couple games, so it could be a major advantage for us, keeping Ben out of the paint.

Burtrem, I think Larry does a pretty good job with Billups. He's the kind of guy who could easily be a scorer or a playmaker, and Larry seems to keep him at a happy medium. I'd rather take my chances with Ben posting up than have Billups get hot.
    ya, but I meant from the Pistons point of view. As a Pacer fan, of course I wanna see Ben post up and shoot jumpers lol.

I think Larry has stifled Billups play alot, or maybe it's just Billups is too scared to lose or something.

There might be one Pistons player who really miss Carlisle, and if there is it is Billups. Carlisle allowed him to shoot his pull up threes as he wanted. Brown is very hard on Point guards. And I always read that Rick and Billups had a very close relationship.

There might be one Pistons player who really miss Carlisle, and if there is it is Billups. Carlisle allowed him to shoot his pull up threes as he wanted. Brown is very hard on Point guards. And I always read that Rick and Billups had a very close relationship.
    It was Rick who went out of his way to make sure the Pistons got him I think. I'm not really too up on my Pistons lore.. Pretty sure Rick had alot to do with it though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You misread, UB. Look back to last year's ECF. Every critisism came STRAIGHT from Billups. Billups wanted to run, he wanted the freedom to create on his own, and Carlisle's system didnt allow for that.

Billups wasnt a PG last year. Carlisle called every play, never allowed billups freedom to run the show. Chauncey's ONLY job was to score. Billups is a LOT closer to Brown than he is to Carlise. Every week there's one quote or another from Billups saying that Larry has taught him more about being a point guard in one year than every other coach he's ever had.

People assume because Billups's scoring is down that he and Larry dont get along. Actually, after Ben Wallace, Chauncey is the guy that praises LB more than anyone else.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

If I were Larry I would start checking my tackle box for hooks and bobbers.

If I'm LB, I don't change much. I maybe focus a little more on having guards drive the basket against Jamaal whenever possible because he won't be very mobile. I try to get Ron into early foul trouble.
    I agree. Cro bailed us out last night, not question. But he hardly ever puts together two good games in a row. 3 of 4 from outside just won't hold.

What the PACERS need to do, is not start thinking that they've found their magic bullet. Start Cro, but go inside 27 times in a row to start the game. Don't start zinging it out to him every time. Try to let the Piston's preparations work against them.

DTropps

Burtrem Redneck,
    Your opinion on Billups has tremendous validity to many Pistons fans which includes me.

Here's the difference between Carlisle and Brown. Brown tries to take people and incorporate them into his system regardless of their strengths or weaknesses. Carlisle finds their strengths and utilizes them. Neither way is totaly right or wrong but Brown's theories has created some shaking heads in Motown.

Billups - Billups has size for a PG, can penetrate well and has an occasional perimeter shot that can be deadly. He isn't a great ball distributor. However, Brown has tried to get Billups to forego his post-up ability, driving ability and most of all his jumpshot to try to become a 10-assist, 5-point player. Well maybe not to that extreme but you get what I mean. Billups has been mentally and physically inconsistent all year with the adjustment because a) he's being asked not to do what he does best and b)he's being asked to do what does not come naturally. I feared that those changes would result in a challenging time in a seven-game series where teams can focus on players in a very intense nature. I looked at this series and saw an injured and smaller Tinsley going against Billups. I drooled for the old Billups. He clearly was our biggest offensive mismatch in this series and yet we aren't exploiting it. We did for a half in game one and that's about it. Why you don't utilize your biggest offensive mismatch when he can use his natural game to exploit it I don't know.

DTropps

Snickers,
    Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy reading good MBs without smack talk where the enemy can come over and read the other side's perspective. From what I've read here this seems to be a very good board. I will stay around during the series and during future years when we play you guys.

There should be tons of good bkball against both of these teams in the next couple years.