Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game of the Millenium-Let the talk begin

Default Game of the Millenium-Let the talk begin

So somebody told me that on way they've heard the Pats-Colts game billed, "Game of the Millenium". Anyway, what are you guys thinking at this point?

Just heard Collinsworth say he expects Pats and "it won't be close". How likely is that in your opinion? Without knowing what close is for NE, could be within 21 pts so far. I have a hard time believing that they could blow us out, although they are certainly capable of winning. As are we.

Mood

Default Re: Game of the Millenium-Let the talk begin

We're the underdogs, but if anyone can beat New England it's the Colts.

LET'S GO COLTS!!!!!!

the !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Game of the year right here.

The Pats have been dominating this year as we all have seen.

The Colts have just been getting the job done.

The Pats are playing at their best. Everything is going their way. However are they really that much better than the Colts? Is Brady really better than Manning? Maroney over Addai? Their wideouts over ours? Watson over Clark? James Sanders over Bob Sanders? My whole point is, on paper, they are not that much above us. Sure they have some advantages and we have some. But they don't have a team that we can't beat.

I think that this is a game that will come down to our defense. We need them to be playing with a lot of emoition and to be on top of their game. I think that our offense can feed off of our defense and we need that. We need our defense to set the tone of the game.

The Colts have to have the right mindset. Hopefully they do.

To be honest with you though in a way I don't care if the Colts win or lose this game. As long as we win our division, get in the playoffs with a healthy squad then that's when the games will really start to matter.

If the Pats beat us then fine let everyone talk about how great we are that way, as long as we take care of business the rest of the year, and we get to face the Pats again in the playoffs then people can count out the Colts and that's when I have the most faith in this team as strange as it sounds.

I think this is a pretty even matchup, but if I had to give a slight edge to either team it'd be the Pats because of the roll they're on. Honestly, while I'm going to enjoy the hell outta the game, I don't really care who wins. The Pats are hot right now, but it's still mid-season. Heading into the playoffs is when you want to be playing your best.

This will be an interesting test for our defense.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is going to be an amazing game. Period. I gotta take the Colts due to home field and the fact that I think we feel disrespected.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

This should be a great game; an emotional game. However, I don't care what happens so long as we win the Superbowl.

They want to beat us bad. We are the reason why they went out and got all those new players. They have that bitter taste in their mouths because they couldn't hold on to their 18 point lead last season. I want us to win this game so bad it's pathetic. I can honestly say I'll probably have a hard time sleeping, the night before the game. I do believe it will be a close game, if it does happen (I'm not even going to write it) then they better not over look us in the Playoffs because it is our ring to defend, and we want another one. We want to be a dynasty darnit not them. We want the 3 in a row.

Mood

I expect it to be like the AFC finals. Everybody counted us out. Pats jump on us in the beginning. Second half will be all ours. It won't be a cardiac game, I say we win by 2TDs. Why? Who cares? Realistically, WE JUST OWN THE PATRIOTS. If CHEATING didn't beat us the past 3 years, how can a few new WRs do the job? It won't even matter if Marvin and Ugoh still won't play, the Patriots will be receiving what they have been from their coach all year- HUMBLE PIE. (except this time it's baked in the World Champions' oven)

Colts 38
    Patriots 24

For me it will be interesting to see what type of game it turns into as far as tempo/tone. Yes the Colts have the offense to be able to keep up with the Pats moreso than any other opponent they've faced. Better if Marvin is back, of course.

But the NE trend assumes they will line up and try to do the track meet approach they've used so far. I am not convinced this will happen. Not that it will be a low scoring, defensive affair. Will NE run more than we've seen to keep the Colts of out or rhythm and reduce their possiession? Sure we've been effective against the run, but we have not faced a team with this much offensive balance so how will we fare being so spread out on D?

Obviously, drawing on the emotion of the crowd is huge for Indy.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

tell ya one thing that makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Red Sox - WS Champs.....Pats - ?super bowl champs?.....Celtics - ?NBA Finals Champs?........

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'd rather lose this game than lose in the playoffs.

It's time to keep this game in perspective. There is no trophy for winning this game.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather lose this game than lose in the playoffs.

It's time to keep this game in perspective. There is no trophy for winning this game.
    x2
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Anyway, what are you guys thinking at this point?
    I'm thinking this will be the most hyped regular season game in NFL history.

I'm also thinking that whoever loses will still win their division.

I'm thinking the only significance this game really has is determining home-field advantage in the Conf title game - if both teams get there.

I'm thinking there have been about a zillion more important regular season games in NFL history - frex, any game over the final week or two of a season that determines whether a team makes the playoffs or goes home.

I'm thinking there are 4 or 5 more important games next week such as Panthers-Titans, Jags-Saints, Cowboys-Eagles or Ravens-Steelers that will all have a lot more impact on the NFL season than this game.

But I'm also thinking this will be a fun week.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I think the colts were already looking past the panthers this week to the Pats. That maybe the reason why they played so sloppy in the first half.

Go COLTS!

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    I think the colts were already looking past the panthers this week to the Pats. That maybe the reason why they played so sloppy in the first half.
    they were also coming off a monday night game in jax.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's my call by the numbers (warning... this is long):

The Patriots are #3 in the league in YPG and the Colts are #4 (only an average of 4.4 yards difference). Advantage = Even

The Colts have the number 2 Pass Defense in the league. Pats are #6. Not a huge difference but advantage = Colts

The Pats are tied for 5th in run defense, the Colts are merely 7th. Advantage = Pats

The Colts are 2nd in fewest total points allowed, the Pats are 10th. The Colts are also 2nd in fewest points allowed per game, the Pats are 5th. Advantage = Colts

The Patriots have 28 sacks through 8 games. The Colts only have 12. Advantage = Pats

Both teams are +11 in turnovers.

Defense is as EVEN as EVEN can get between two teams.

On Offense the Pats are easily #1 and the Colts are #3. Patriots - 41.4 ppg, Colts - 32. Advantage = Pats

Colts are 5th in Rushing yards per game - 140, Pats are 8th - 135 and the Colts have 12 rushing TDs (leads league), the Pats have 8. Advantage = Colts

Pats have 43 total TDs and the Colts, although third in the league, have only 26. Advantage = Patriots

Offensively, the Patriots have the clear advantage.

Coaching - this is a tough one because Belichick is great at preparing his team to play. Tony Dungy on the other hand is the best coach in the league at making adjustments during the game, in particular half-time. It's pretty even to me but the fact that Belichick has 3 rings trumps Dungy's 1. However, when I look at the number of Pro Bowlers on the Patriot Defense compared to the patchwork that makes up the Colts LB corp and the replacements on the defensive line, I have to give Dungy some serious props. I'd say the coaching is even.

The intangible factors that will have an affect on the outcome:

1. The game takes place in the RCA Dome where the Colts have won 13 games in-a-row including two games against the Brady led Patriots.

2. The record between Brady and Manning is 4-3 in favor of Brady.

3. The Colts have won 3 in-a-row against the Pats.

4. The combined record of the teams that the Colts have beaten is 24-21 compared to the 21-31 record of the teams the Pats have beaten.

The Colts have the advantage in the Intangibles (if that's even possible).

Who will win? I'm picking the Colts only because they are at home and I think after the experience of winning it all last year and beating New England twice takes away the intimidation factor the Pats have had this season. Also the Patriots have feasted on the likes of the Jets, Dolphins, and Bengals, and Bills while the Colts wins have come against winning teams, including 3 divisional wins on the road.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 10-29-2007 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

There's just soooo many things in this game that the stats are misleading. I think the only clear advantage is that it's at the dome the rest of the stats really can't be looked at as indicators of different facets of the game. You could tell a Patriots fan we have the better defense, and they'll respond that their stats are misleading since a lot of the points scored against them was when the game was way out of hand. Pats fans can tell a Colts fan that our offense isn't as good as the Patriots and a Colts fan would respond by saying well we didn't leave our starters in to rack up points in garbage minutes against inferior opponents. I'm not trying to demean your post in anyway cause it looks like ya did quite a bit of research to dig up those numbers. I'm just trying not to look towards them as any indication of how the game is going to go.

I am more worried about Wes Welker than Randy Moss.

If I was a Pats fan I'd be more worried about the health of Brady than the outcome of this game (see Gerrard, D. and Testaverde, V.).

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

I didn't think anything could be more hyped than that stupid "Manning Bowl" last year.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

I'm also thinking that whoever loses will still win their division.

I'm thinking the only significance this game really has is determining home-field advantage in the Conf title game - if both teams get there.

I'm thinking there have been about a zillion more important regular season games in NFL history - frex, any game over the final week or two of a season that determines whether a team makes the playoffs or goes home.

I'm thinking there are 4 or 5 more important games next week such as Panthers-Titans, Jags-Saints, Cowboys-Eagles or Ravens-Steelers that will all have a lot more impact on the NFL season than this game.

But I'm also thinking this will be a fun week.
    There was a 49ers - Giants game on Monday night in 1991 that was a rematch of the 1990 NFC Championship game that was really hyped. It was very similar to this game: what seemed like the two best teams at that time in a rematch of a tough game that essentially ended Joe Montana's career in San Francisco. Now that was a game that was hyped all over the place. This was week one, so the fact that both teams
    missed the playoffs that year has bearing on this game. However, the Colts/Pats should be more pleasing to the eyes than the 16 -14 grudge fest in 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I didn't think anything could be more hyped than that stupid "Manning Bowl" last year.
    Well, they had a whole summer to work on that one. Even then, I don't remember a "Good vs Evil" article two weeks ahead.

Just be glad this isn't on Sunday or Monday night.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Colts haven't started as well as they needed to in a couple of games this year (Heywoode's point was proven to me during the Carolina game) so if this game is close at halftime I expect the Colts to have the advantage as the game goes longer. However if the Colts get caught sleeping and are down 21-3 again it's going to be much harder for them to come back. However, I don't think that will happen and I don't think the Pats have a great chance of winning.

Offensively the Colts are better, no matter what the local Pats troll here has to say. Both teams have equally capable passing attacks (point out to me one game this year where passing has been a liability for EITHER team) but the Colts have a much, much better running game.

Defensively, we're younger, faster, we hit harder, and we're just better.

Colts will win, 35-24. I am going to keep posting this score all week.