Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd thoughts about the Miami game

Default Odd thoughts about the Miami game

Here is the funny thing to start with, Uncle Buck and myself both never thought we would lose the game.

That's very odd for me because if you would have asked me that at any time during the last few years at best I would have said I didn't know or more than likely I would have said that we were going to choke and lose.

Not once did it even cross my mind that the team would drop this game and that is a world of differance for me.

Look, before I get carried away after two good wins I will just state right up front that we may be riding that high right now of a team that hasn't been well scouted yet. We all know the NBA is about adjustments and teams will pick up on our weaknesses.

With that in mind let me just go ahead and make this declaration now.

This is NOT the same Indiana Pacers team as we have seen over the past 7 years.

So far there is a fight to them that, to me anyway, harkens back to the beginning of the 93/94 season when Larry Brown took over the team.

You could just tell by watching them to start the year that that team was special even though their initial record was lousy. Well so far we are undefeated (we all know that won't last) but from everything I've seen by every single player who has stepped foot on the floor that this team is special as well.

Not special as in championship level team, or hell maybe not even playoff level team, but they are going to leave it all on the floor every single night.

By the end of this game the fans in the fieldhouse had bonded with this team and were genuinely into this game. The excitement that some of you felt on tv was real and genuine at the game, there was no need for canned heat. As small as the crowd was, they were passionate to end this game.

The crowds being small are to be expected and no winning two games to start the season will not turn the local attitude around right away. But I believe if they continue to play with this level of compassion and emotion and yes win some of them, that the locals will be back. At the very least it will end the bitterness towards the team.

I hate to wax all philisophical on all of you but to me this season is almost as much about how they play the games as it is the results of playing the game.

The fact that right now there is no one star, no one player above the others fits us very well.

In fact can I just take this moment to offer a slight rebuttal to all of the "big city" talk that we have to hear over and over and over again.

Superstar ball is just boring. I'm sorry it is. If the fact that I like ball movement, multiple scoring options, strong team defense and attacking loose balls makes me a hillbilly hick then so be it.

It's called a team sport for a reason.

So while I am not one to throw Rick Carlisle under the bus as I think he is a very good coach and got a bum deal here, I will say this. I don't think he truely knew how to coach a player like Jermaine O'Neal.

Instead of making him a strong weapon in an arsenal, he made him the only big gun. Thus making him the biggest target.

Think of him as one of those old German Railway guns back in WW2. Yes, they were powerfull and if they ever hit you they could wipe you out in a heart beat. However they were easy to spot and once the allies found them they would just pound them till they were destroyed and useless.

J.O. under Rick was very similar. When he got it going he could be devastating, however teams would zone in on him and would just start swatting at him until he was taken out of his game.

Now contrast that with a mobile Howitzer, not nearly as powerfull but the fact that it was mobile, rapid and part of an overall arsenal made it for a far more affective weapon.

J.O. under O'Briens system so far has had less of a shooting role, yet has become a far more deadly weapon due to his movement outside the post and his passing ability.

Seven assist from your powerforward is nothing to sneeze at and these weren't the accidental assist that sometimes get awarded either. These were pinpoint passes to Dunleavy that led directly to scores.

Also while I'm talking about O'Neal let me state this. He was hosed on that sixth foul. Whether he was in the circle or not makes no differance. That circle does not automatically make any solid defensive stance a blocking foul.

He clearly was planted and at worst that should have just been a no call. The refs. have morphed that rule somehow into making anything in that area of the floor a blocking foul which to my understanding is not how the rule was written or intended.

I'm just glad he didn't get a "T" but to be honest with you I would have totally understood if he would have.

Now onto one last thing and frankly I don't know if they showed this on t.v. or not. But down at the end of the game when J.O. had fouled out and during the last time out, J.O. had the five players that were on the court together on the floor giving them what looked like a fiery inspirational speech before they went back into the game.

Dare I say it? Leadership.

Look one game is not going to make me change my mind about the guy and frankly to me he has to prove that he is not going to be a prima dona and yes I'm very concerned that a losing streak or worse yet he only avg. mid teens and doesn't get voted by the fans as an all-star and he will pull the "this isn't working" card out.

But in this one game he played right, fouled out right and acted right.

Now let's talk about O'Brien for a min.

I guess I have to compare Rick and him and this is going to be a slam at Rick and yes it is intended to be even though I don't think he is a bad coach.

There is something to say about inspirational leadership. Rick was a robot and couldn't inspire Shade to eat food if he were dying.

Jim seems to be like a Marine Corps. Sgt. who may use tough love but at the end of the day inspires his men to take the hill.

This game is not all X's & O's and until Rick learns that he will never truely reach the next level as a coach.

Again, doesn't make him a bad coach, but if there was ever truely a differance in coaching styles this is it.

I don't know if I want to break down the players or not because really to me this game wasn't about who hit what shots or who didn't.

To me this game was about the Pacers as a group not giving up, not giving in and believing that they could win.

I will say this though, Kareem Rush probably just earned his salary for the entire year in those two shots.

As Hicks pointed out after the game he was suprised that Bird didn't jump up and point around the fieldhouse yelling "see, I told you so".

This doesn't mean the game didn't have flaws or that the team was perfect. Far from it.

Travis Diener, Marquis Daniels and Jeff Foster have yet to have a good game in this season. Jamaal Tinsley had a decent game but also made some bonehead plays this game. Ike was great in the first half but got caught up in a one on one battle with Zo in the second half. Mike was superb to begin the game, got hit in the head and was never the same after that.

But all of that didn't matter. The team still won and they played the right way.

Granger was as good as I've seen him play, his offense was outstanding but his defense was downright stiffling.

Harrison again was huge going down the stretch and for two games in a row been (gasp) clutch.

I have huge concerns about min. once Troy and Shawne come back as we will have to many front court players who will need time on the floor.

But as long as everybody throws ego out the window and plays in the system I think this year will be special.

Let me define that btw. By special I don't mean championship, I don't even mean playoffs. I mean competative.

Yes, I want a title. But I am realistic enough to know that we need to be competative before we go that far.

Deep playoff run may not be out of the question, but I just want to walk away from every game this year knowing that the team left it all on the floor.

Sorry this post wasn't filled with deep analitical thinking or player evaluations, maybe after tomorrow nights game I'll get back into that.

But for now I just want to enjoy the fact that the entire team played like Warriors born and never gave up.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd thoughts about the Miami game

Another comparison to Warriors? Can't we come up with something else?

I thought JO's leadership tonight was brilliant. He lead by his play, he lead by his actions on the bench, and more importantly to me he doesn't seem to be attempting to lead through the media and his quotes before or after the game instead he is leading DURING the game.
    So is Dunleavy. I can't remember exactly when but at some point in the second half Dunleavy absolutely ate Ike's lunch running back to the defensive end. I mean he just chewed the hell out of him about something. I noticed Ike seemed to play better defensively after that.

Also great post Peck. You're points on Obie vs. Rick are dead on IMO.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I don't mean to praise individuals in a team effort, but one of the highlights of the season so far is the return of Peck to his old form.

That's not a slam on Rick.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is the funny thing to start with, Uncle Buck and myself both never thought we would lose the game.

That's very odd for me because if you would have asked me that at any time during the last few years at best I would have said I didn't know or more than likely I would have said that we were going to choke and lose.

Not once did it even cross my mind that the team would drop this game and that is a world of differance for me.
    Funny you bring this up.

Quinn started alluding to this fact with about 2:00 to go, when we were down 7 points or so. He said that the way we play is more condusive to making that sort of a comeback...moreso than the Heat's style of play. He was definitely right, and we came back and did it.

Maybe it was just me, but how many other people were looking at the Heat during those last couple of minutes and thinking "that used to be us."

That used to be us in the dying minutes of games. And that used to be us getting burned by the other team who continued with a relentless attack on the offensive end. Was it ever nice to be on the other side.

Great post, as usual, Peck.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    Funny you bring this up.

Quinn started alluding to this fact with about 2:00 to go, when we were down 7 points or so. He said that the way we play is more condusive to making that sort of a comeback...moreso than the Heat's style of play. He was definitely right, and we came back and did it.

Maybe it was just me, but how many other people were looking at the Heat during those last couple of minutes and thinking "that used to be us."

That used to be us in the dying minutes of games. And that used to be us getting burned by the other team who continued with a relentless attack on the offensive end. Was it ever nice to be on the other side.

Great post, as usual, Peck.
    The Heat better get used to it. That team is going no where fast. They are capped out and outside of Wade their two highest potential guys are Wright and Cook who could both be solid players, but neither will ever be a game changer IMO. Zo and Shaq are pretty much done and Shaq is still making 20 million for what two more seasons after this? Thats obscene. I can't even fathom paying him 20 million in two years. Thats down right disgusting. If I were a Heat fan I would puke all over myself.
    They mortgaged their next decade for a championship, and I can't really blame them. However I said this when Bron, Melo, and Wade signed their new contracts that although everyone's odds on favorite to sign somewhere else with their next contract is Lebron, I actually think Wade will be the guy wearing a new uni. I would be shocked if he plays with the Heat past this contract.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-03-2007 at 01:43 AM.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I have huge concerns about min. once Troy and Shawne come back as we will have to many front court players who will need time on the floor.
    Shawne was performing as well as Danny in those last few preseason games. I see kind of an issue with two guys playing the same position who deserve starting minutes... both who could be all star caliber even.

I am hoping (dreaming) of a situation where we trade one of them at the end of the season for a lottery pick and take Eric Gordon... talk about getting fans back in the stands. Relegate Dunleavy to Manu Ginobli sixth man role, Gordon our eventual all star SG... ok, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself...
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 11-03-2007 at 01:52 AM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    The Heat better get used to it. That team is going no where fast. They are capped out and outside of Wade their two highest potential guys are Wright and Cook who could both be solid players, but neither will ever be a game changer IMO. Zo and Shaq are pretty much done and Shaq is still making 20 million for what two more seasons after this? Thats obscene. I can't even fathom paying him 20 million in two years. Thats down right disgusting. If I were a Heat fan I would puke all over myself.
    They mortgaged their next decade for a championship, and I can't really blame them. However I said this when Bron, Melo, and Wade signed their new contracts that although everyone's odds on favorite to sign somewhere else with their next contract is Lebron, I actually think Wade will be the guy wearing a new uni. I would be shocked if he plays with the Heat past this contract.

I agree with all of this. I made a thread right after Miami won the title called "miami has an extremely bleak future", and got laughed at.

That being said, it was worth it. If you win a championship, it is worth it. But they are paying for it now. It's unbelivable how much Shaq's game depreciates every year. 3 years ago he was the MVP in my mind of the league, and now look at him.

He is so unmobile now. I can't imagine what he will look like in 2 years if he is still playing. Think of him 2 years ago and think of him now and look at the difference.

I think Wade will be around for a while though. Being the king of South Beach would be alot to give up. And they'll eventually get someone else in there once Shaq's obscene deal expires.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-03-2007 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Shawne was performing as well as Danny in those last few preseason games. I see kind of an issue with two guys playing the same position who deserve starting minutes... both who could be all star caliber even.

I am hoping (dreaming) of a situation where we trade one of them at the end of the season for a lottery pick and take Eric Gordon... talk about getting fans back in the stands. Relegate Dunleavy to Manu Ginobli sixth man role, Gordon our all star SG... ok, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.
    Slightly. Especially calling Shawne Williams "all star caliber".

Another comparison to Warriors? Can't we come up with something else?
    I know where Peck's been now. He's been watching the Military channel. Not only references to warriors, but Marine Corps Sargent's, German Railway guns, and mobile Howitzer's.

It will be interesting to read his descriptions when the pacers go 20 of 30 from downtown. (grin)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I agree with all of this. I made a thread right after Miami won the title called "miami has an extremely bleak future", and got laughed at.

That being said, it was worth it. If you win a championship, it is worth it. But they are paying for it now. It's unbelivable how much Shaq's game depreciates every year. 3 years ago was the MVP in my mind of the league.

He is so unmobile now. I can't imagine what he will look like in 2 years if he is still playing. Think of him 2 years ago and think of him now and look at the difference.

I think Wade will be around for a while though. Being the king of South Beach would be alot to give up. And they'll eventually get someone else in there once Shaq's obscene deal expires.
    Living in Miami is nice, but Wade is a winner and a competitor at heart. Also its not like the dedicated fans will keep him there. Miami is one of the worst pro sport towns in the country IMO. I remember their fans showing up with like 3 minutes to go in the first quarter during all of those playoff games the year they won the championship. Indianapolis fans might not be the most dedicated as a whole through the lean years, but when we are good we support the hell out of our teams as a city. Miami fans see going to the games as more of a status symbol than actually supporting the team.

Living in Miami is nice, but Wade is a winner and a competitor at heart. Also its not like the dedicated fans will keep him there. Miami is one of the worst pro sport towns in the country IMO. I remember their fans showing up with like 3 minutes to go in the first quarter during all of those playoff games the year they won the championship. Indianapolis fans might not be the most dedicated as a whole through the lean years, but when we are good we support the hell out of our teams as a city. Miami fans see going to the games as more of a status symbol than actually supporting the team.

Miami fans are pretty lame, there's no doubt about it. But the Heat will give Wade whatever he wants. And I think that the lure of South Beach and playing with DWADE will be enough to lure a big name player there once Shaq's deal expires. I would be really really really suprised if Wade ever left. I think Wade/Lebron/Melo understand the importance of taking a bad franchise and turning it into a winning one. Afterall, that's what Jordan did.

I really do wonder if this season is it for Shaq. Shaq's ego is too large to accept any sort of role that would severely limit his minutes and give him a stat line of 8-10 points a game. He's in the stage that Ewing/Drob/Hakeem were in the last years of their careers. All of the sudden those guys didn't have it anymore. Each of them hung around long enough to have really poor stat lines during their final year or 2. I just can't imagine Shaq allowing himself to do that.

Good as always Peck. I would like to say that JO's leadership in my mind has a lot to with his accountability. New coach with management on board goes far with a all-star player like JO. I am just glad to see that the Pacers org finally looks like it has a plan and is willing to stick with it.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 11-03-2007 at 02:06 AM. Reason: To much cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post

I am hoping (dreaming) of a situation where we trade one of them at the end of the season for a lottery pick and take Eric Gordon... talk about getting fans back in the stands. Relegate Dunleavy to Manu Ginobli sixth man role, Gordon our eventual all star SG... ok, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself...
    I've already thought of trading him for Conley. Conley of course is from Indy whereas Williams is from Memphis.

However, something no one has touched on yet. All 4 of our young big guys are looking very good. Granger's doing his Pippen imitation, Ike's scoring, David's actually playing, and although Williams hasn't played for real yet he looked good in pre-season.

sweabs

I agree that Shaq's game has really depleted, but I'm not ready to stick a fork in him quite yet. I'd like to see what the presence of Wade can do. I think Wade needs the big guy just as much as he needs Wade at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

Also, with all the talk about our young players and depth - what about a Kobe package?!?

Okay...just kidding.

J.O. has always been a leader, but he didn't play allot or very well when he was healthy. How would a bunch of bad apples listen to him? I like your post about war. It got KG nailed back in the day for comparing basketball to war, but your analogy made sense. I admit I didn't like the hire of Jim O. as coach, because it didn't have that buzz that the hiring of the new Dodger coach did. It looks like cutting back the strict reins on the offense is just what the Dr. ordered & I'm glad to see it. I remember when Bob Knight was fired from IU & the whole team played loose & free while firing up the 3. Lets hope this lasts. It is a good start & I do enjoy the effort.

Also, I agree w/ your take on that lower circle in the paint. I remember a few times last year where I thought that the call was B.S. These were games that the Pacers weren't even in & I didn't care who won or lost. I remember saying "That is a charge his feet were set." "He was there & it wasn't even close."
    However, it still was inside or on the circle = foul.
    I wish we could get a good explanation on the rule as the refs interpret it.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Slightly. Especially calling Shawne Williams "all star caliber".
    Well I'm certainly speculating quite a bit, and it is VERY early.

Look at Danny's numbers in the last 4 games though... 25 points, 21 Points, 20 Points, 25 Points... He has also averaged about 8 rebounds a game over that stretch, and shot 55% from the field (60% from downtown ). Not to mention the defense...

Shawne scored 22 and 26 in his last two pre-season games, his rebounding and % weren't quite as good... but he is still raw and despite that Dick Harter said he is the best defender on the team besides Oneal. This suspension is frustrating to me because I have not been able to see how he does in the regular season yet. If he can carry over that production into the regular season I will be very pleased... but he is gonna need minutes.

If, hypothetically, we became convinced Shawne could step in and fill Danny's shoes... Danny has awesome trade potential, we could get that shooting gaurd we always wanted. One that could possibly take this team to the next level.

I always think of Eric Gordon because I want that Lebron James hometown thing and... think of the excitement around the city, especially if he had a great season at IU. You would almost instantly erase the negative feelings about the pacers.

I just need to bite my lip and let the season play out for Shawne and Danny... but I have my dreams.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 11-03-2007 at 02:34 AM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

However, something no one has touched on yet. All 4 of our young big guys are looking very good. Granger's doing his Pippen imitation, Ike's scoring, David's actually playing, and although Williams hasn't played for real yet he looked good in pre-season.
    I love how the big man rotation goes with Diogu and Harrison too... I cant see either starting, but they both can be VERY effective off the bench. It takes a lot of pressure off Oneal, allowing us to rest him and keep him fresh and "uninjured". Diogu can score like JO and Harrison can be that defensive anchor when he is out of the game. Gives us a lot of flexibility with the rotation, perfect considering the higher tempo.

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post

That being said, it was worth it. If you win a championship, it is worth it. But they are paying for it now.
    I strongly disagree!

I've been a Pacer's fan since they were born. So I was there when they won their 3 ABA championships. That was followed by about fifteen years of just hoping for the playoffs. So from experience I can tell you it's a lot more fun being competitive every year.

You have a lot more highs than you do lows.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I strongly disagree!

I've been a Pacer's fan since they were born. So I was there when they won their 3 ABA championships. That was followed by about fifteen years of just hoping for the playoffs. So from experience I can tell you it's a lot more fun being competitive every year.

You have a lot more highs than you do lows.
    By the same contrast Will I've been a Pacers fan all of my life but was only old enough to be a knowledgeable fan the year they entered the NBA and I would have gladly given up some years of being competative for a title.

In fact if 2000 would have brought us a title I would gladly have suffered through the last seven years. But as we didn't win, I feel as though I've just suffered.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Very nice win. Only seen some highlights as im not in the situation to watch the Pacers live. But the fact it was a teameffort tonight can not be argued bc of the 13 blocks overall (most blocks ever in Conseco Fieldhouse) and the 7 assists by JO (matches his careeer high)

I love it!
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

By the same contrast Will I've been a Pacers fan all of my life but was only old enough to be a knowledgeable fan the year they entered the NBA and I would have gladly given up some years of being competative for a title.

In fact if 2000 would have brought us a title I would gladly have suffered through the last seven years. But as we didn't win, I feel as though I've just suffered.
    Well, considering 6 of the last seven were playoff years, including one legitimate title run, I think the suffering is ... relative? I'll admit the last two years have pretty much sucked, but I won't count Reggie's retirement (AKA the brawl year). While that was one of the most emotional seasons, it was also one of the most tremendously inspiring experiences I've ever had in sports. The ups and downs and wild push for the playoffs. Wow.

I met a guy the other day who is a DIE-HARD Clippers fan. Think about that. even when they get good they lose two of their best players. That's just torture. He's even too young to remember the way-back clippers that used to win.

But I digress.

Don't think I didn't notice your city slicker comment.

Great leading post, and just the sort of thing I like to read.

There is something great about this team. Anyone who has followed the team for years can just tell. There's a spark there. The W/L will likely plateau into reality, but the spark can give us pride when the L's start to show up.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    J.O. has always been a leader, but he didn't play allot or very well when he was healthy. How would a bunch of bad apples listen to him? I like your post about war. It got KG nailed back in the day for comparing basketball to war, but your analogy made sense. I admit I didn't like the hire of Jim O. as coach, because it didn't have that buzz that the hiring of the new Dodger coach did. It looks like cutting back the strict reins on the offense is just what the Dr. ordered & I'm glad to see it. I remember when Bob Knight was fired from IU & the whole team played loose & free while firing up the 3. Lets hope this lasts. It is a good start & I do enjoy the effort.

Also, I agree w/ your take on that lower circle in the paint. I remember a few times last year where I thought that the call was B.S. These were games that the Pacers weren't even in & I didn't care who won or lost. I remember saying "That is a charge his feet were set." "He was there & it wasn't even close."
    However, it still was inside or on the circle = foul.
    I wish we could get a good explanation on the rule as the refs interpret it.
    Well, if you look strictly at the rulebook, the "no charge" line is there to give the refs a reference point. Outside the half-circle, everything plays as normal. Inside the half-circle it's an automatic blocking foul, with a couple of exceptions. If the defender is standing there stationary and someone drives into him, that's supposed to be a charge. In essence, if a defender has position inside the circle, and the offensive player has time to avoid him and doesn't, that's a charge. Otherwise, it's a blocking foul.

I'm not sure how JO's sixth foul falls under that (probably poorly worded) description, but there's something I'm more concerned about than the rule itself. They called the charge because JO's right foot was "inside the circle".

I beg to differ!

JO's right foot was not only behind the basket, but also not anywhere near any circle. If that's how they're going to call it, they need to extend those lines so that it's obvious everywhere, not just in front of the basket. For instance, if you're standing on the baseline behind the basket and someone charges you, unlikely as that would be, does that fall under the half circle policy, despite the fact that you're nowhere near it? Is there some sort of imaginary line that the rest of us don't know about, and if so, what shape does it take?

This is actually the reason I don't like that half-circle. It poses as many questions as it answers.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not so odd thoughts...........

I heard the game while driving home and then watched after arriving there.

At one point Slick blasted JO for carping at the refs saying "What's he doing there? We haven't done that at all this year and we don't need it now". His tone was not at all polite.

At one point during the last minutes comeback a time out was called and the camera panned to the Pacer huddle. I loved seeing JO and Jeff jumping around laughing, high fiving each other and beating on each others shoulders. The team has emotion again which confounds me a bit because even tho RC is gone, LB is still here and it was LB that used to preach about professionalism while he was coach here. I like the new attitude.

I really hope KRush (Krush...hmmm I like that) becomes our Steve Kerr...we need that killer guy to get points at the end of close games.

I'll be very interested to see how the legs hold up tonight in their first back-to-back. Perhaps thats why I'm not worried about the return of Troy and Shawne they way some are. IF we continue this pace there will be ample need for minutes from everybody and everybody will get their chance to compete. People get tired and nicked up, fresh bodies are always a good thing.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Peck, while I agree with you about teams scouting the Pacers and learning to stop what they are trying to do.

I think for the most part the Heat did just that. They basically stopped our running game, and forced us into a halfcourt physical grind it out game. The Heat's defens ewas very good and typically Riley like, - no layups and in your face man to man. His defenses are designed to stop player and ball movement and force one-on-one play.

Peck, I was surprised with about 3 minutes to go and the Pacers trailing by 7 when I turned to you and said I think the pacers will come back and wuin this game and you just matter of factly said yes. Although I certainly didn't think Rush would be the one to do the damage.

But the thing that thrilled me most about last nights game was the defense in the last 4 minutes or so of the game. That is what any good team needs - the ability to turn the defense up late in games. And keep in mind who was in the game at that point. Jamaal, Rush, Dunleavy, Granger and Harrison. Not exactly great defenders - but the team defense, oh the team defense was just outstanding. It was a clinic - the help was never late or out of position - it was near perfection. Once I saw the pacers defense turn it up, I was not worried about the heat scoring - I was just worried the pacers might not be able to score enough to complete the comeback,
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-03-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Superstar ball is just boring. I'm sorry it is. If the fact that I like ball movement, multiple scoring options, strong team defense and attacking loose balls makes me a hillbilly hick then so be it.

It's called a team sport for a reason.
    I could not agree more with this. I even hate the NBA commercials that place a player over his team.

This game is not all X's & O's and until Rick learns that he will never truely reach the next level as a coach.

I don't know if I want to break down the players or not because really to me this game wasn't about who hit what shots or who didn't.

Sorry this post wasn't filled with deep analitical thinking or player evaluations, maybe after tomorrow nights game I'll get back into that.

But for now I just want to enjoy the fact that the entire team played like Warriors born and never gave up.
    Thanks for NOT making this a thread full of stats and analysis. I think far too often people get so caught up in trying to be "professor hoops" that they forget to just ENJOY the game and have FUN.