Thread: Defense was also better, my thoughts on game #4

Default Defense was also better, my thoughts on game #4

I realize the biggest difference tonight was the Pacers offense, but please don't overlook the improved Pacers defense tonight. Much better.

A point that Rick brought up in the postgame press conference: it was Mike Brown who thought the pacers should switch Ron back onto Prince. Ron did a good job on Rip in game #2, but teh chain reaction hurt the Pacers. Not having Ronnie on the weak side down low killed the pacers defense in game #3. And look at how many rebs Ronnie got tonight.

Yes, I will mention the pacers offense.

When I saw Cro in the starting lineup, I was not surprised at all. It made perfect sense, getting one of the Wallaces away from the basket opens things up so much for Ron and J.O. Look for the Pistons to put Prince on Croshere, and Ben Wallace on Artest in game #5.

J.O's injury: that looked awful, I thought he was done for the game, the series and possible Finals. That was so awkward looking. I just hope the last few of you who complain about J.O not being able to play through pain, and those who say he milks injuries, I hope all that talk is over forever.

As I said before the game, I want Ron on teh court 40 minutes, and I will live and die with Ron playiong his game. As I said after game #1, he has to adjust to the Pistons defense, and now he has, taking the midrange shots.

Game #5 will be the best game of this series. I see an overtime game, and whoewver wins game #5 will win this series. And believe me the pistons can win game #5. part of me now wishes the Pacers would have won tonight by 2 points instead of 15.

And please don't forget how important AJ was tonight. His ability, yes his ability to get into the lane was so , so important. I hope some of you anti-AJ people can see what he has done this series.

One other thing, this win started in the 4th quarter of game #3.

Also Mark Montieth mentioned in asking his questions in the postgame press room, about how Carlisle was able to loosen the team up, have some fun. Forget about the bad shooting, just play Pacers basketball. Think only possitvely.

I love Ronnie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Defense was also better, my thoughts on game #4

Ditto for Ron and AJ.

I had been begging for a perimeter shooter, but it was so much better for us strategically that it turned out to be Croshere. Pulling one of the Wallaces away from the basket really helped tone down the physical aspects of this game in the paint.

I've said over the last couple of days that whoever won TONIGHT will win the series. Barring injuries, of course. But I still believe that as long as JO and Tinsley are okay to play, we will win the ECS.

Detroit has a lot of holes to plug. With the exception of Rip, they were thoroughly outplayed from end-line to end-line.

And let's face it, this game was a huge confidence builder for the Pacers. They should realize that as long as they move the ball and hit open shots they are more than capable of scoring on Detroit. The Pacers were responsible for half of Detroit's offensive ineptitude. I figure the Pistons were responsible for the other half because it seemed as though they lost their offensive composure to me..... and once that happens, things just seem to snowball.

Anyway, good win. Now all we have to do is hold serve.

After 4 games, I think the key as far as controlling the Pistons offense is Sheed. When he scores 15 points or more the Pistons are going to win
    He is the X-factor for them

J.O's injury: that looked awful, I thought he was done for the game, the series and possible Finals. That was so awkward looking. I just hope the last few of you who complain about J.O not being able to play through pain, and those who say he milks injuries, I hope all that talk is over forever.
    Exactly, JO proved tonight that he is tough. He knew that his team needed this game and he wouldn't let a bum knee keep him out.

When I saw Cro in the starting lineup, I was not surprised at all. It made perfect sense, getting one of the Wallaces away from the basket opens things up so much for Ron and J.O. Look for the Pistons to put Prince on Croshere, and Ben Wallace on Artest in game #5.
    Even if they do that, I still see the Pacers working it to their advantage on the offensive end. That will still mean one of the Wallaces must hang out away from the basket much more than he is used to. Even if Austin doesn't score as much, it should still keep going into the lane from being mission impossible like it was in the first 3 games. I also like Austin's chances on the offensive boards with Prince on him.

Kind of a side question, (I just saw the press confrence) but is RC being humble is saying that Coach Brown came up with that idea. Is was almost like he was praising himself and his staff, and then he stopped and was like "It was Mike's idea". Kind of surprised me.

Either way, it works

I watched his press conference one closely and another time with it in the background while I am on here. He credited Mike Brown with the decision to move Ronnie back on Prince. I don't think he said it was Mike Brown's idea to start Cro.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After 4 games, I think the key as far as controlling the piatons offense is Sheed. When he scores 15 points or more the Pistons are going to win
    He is the X-factor for them
    I think I would agree with that. When the shot clock is winding down, the ball will almost always be in either Rip's or Sheed's hands.

Their big two are Rip and Sheed, with Billups being the third man that sometimes provides points and other times does not.

We are not likely to hold Rip well below his average.

But I agree with you that we can direct our attention to Sheed and disrupt his game on the offensive end. Prevent him from getting the ball as the shot clock winds down and someone else is forced to attempt to step up. I think that is to our advantage.

Croshere does an admirable job on Sheed. Sheed and JO are a lot alike with their fade-away 8-10 foot jumpers. When either is hitting it, he's extremely difficult to stop. Tonight, Sheed seemed to mostly be missing that shot.

Artest is the key to the Pacers game. And Artest's offense feeds off of his defense. I think the fact that the Pistons aren't much of an offensive team makes it difficult for Ron to get his game going. Their main offensive threats (Hamilton and Billups) he does not match up well against. I think he would thrive better if the Pistons actually had a strong #3. However, he did have to make do with Prince tonight, completely shutting Prince down.

Agree with everything, UB. I wasn't surprised by the Cro move, and I figured it'd mean what alot of us have wanted to see, which is Ben on Ron in the next game.

Quick aside on the Mike Brown talk. If he gets a head job, I'm really gonna miss him. Nothing against Rick, per se, but I'd much rather have Mike as opposed to O'Neill. I think Mike has been a positive influence on Rick loosening up, and I'm afraid Kevin would have the opposite affect. Might not be worth worrying about, though. I don't see him going to Toronto after Rick blasted them, so that only leaves Atlanta, unless somebody fires someone later this summer.

I don't know if I can handle overtime tomorrow. My voice STILL hasn't completely recovered from games 1 and 2.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'm still not convinced about AJ. He plays fair, but the offense remains stagnant when he's in the game. Maybe it shows how deep the Pacer bench actually is. I think Freddie Jones should be getting back up minutes at both guard positions. AJ is no more of a point guard than he is, and from what I've seen, Freddie is actually a better passer.

Quick aside on the Mike Brown talk. If he gets a head job, I'm really gonna miss him. Nothing against Rick, per se, but I'd much rather have Mike as opposed to O'Neill. I think Mike has been a positive influence on Rick loosening up, and I'm afraid Kevin would have the opposite affect. Might not be worth worrying about, though. I don't see him going to Toronto after Rick blasted them, so that only leaves Atlanta, unless somebody fires someone later this summer.
    I tend to agree. Not that O'Neill is not an excellent assiastant, he is IMO one of the best assistants around. But my impression is that O'Neill and Carlisle have the exact same basketball philosphies, where as Mike Brown I think might have a few different ideas.

For example.

Pistons did not play any zone last season. I don't believe the Raptors played any zone this season. Pacers did from time to time. I am not a big fan of playing zone, but for a play here or there, it is a good option.

Also the Pacers defense this year is not a carbon copy of the pistons defense last season. I won't bore you with some of the difference that I see, but I think the pacers defnese is a little more flexible and yet within a difinite system, whereas the Pistons last season was not as flexible.

I tend to agree. Not that O'Neill is not an excellent assiastant, he is IMO one of the best assistants around. But my impression is that O'Neill and Carlisle have the exact same basketball philosphies, where as Mike Brown I think might have a few different ideas.

For example.

Pistons did not play any zone last season. I don't believe the Raptors played any zone this season. Pacers did from time to time. I am not a big fan of playing zone, but for a play here or there, it is a good option.

Also the Pacers defense this year is not a carbon copy of the pistons defense last season. I won't bore you with some of the difference that I see, but I think the pacers defnese is a little more flexible and yet within a difinite system, whereas the Pistons last season was not as flexible.
    Yep. We all know my biggest concern was Rick's inflexibility going into this season. While I certainly give Rick his due, I think Mike had more than a little to do with some of the changes we've seen.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!