Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonics moving to Oklahoma City

sweabs

Default Sonics moving to Oklahoma City

aaa
    Last edited by sweabs; 08-08-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: Sonics moving to Oklahoma City

I'm going to look on the positive side here. OKC showed they'll support a team, it's the only game in town, so it'll be successful, and it's nice to see something in the middle of that large blank spot between Dallas/Minny/Memphis/Denver.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Wow that is a shame that they are leaving Seattle. But I think it's great for OKC.

Hornets had to re locate. Talks of the Kings may re locate. I even remember hearing the Magic could re locate but that was a while back ago. I don't think there is anything to that.

sweabs

This is really too bad, as the Sonics have had a long and storied tradition within the city of Seattle. I feel sorry for their fans, and have no idea what they must be feeling. I can only imagine what it would feel like if the Pacers relocated (and this coming from someone who doesn't live in Indiana to begin with).

Clay Bennett seems to have had this agenda all along. I think he knew going into things that the best way to leave Seattle would be to use the "new arena" argument. And he was right...it worked (because of everything surrounding public funding of professional sports venues and it's history in Seattle).

I really feel for those Sonics fans who have grown up watching the team for all these years in Seattle.

Hearing the fans last night in Seattle chant, "Save our Sonics" - this makes me sad that they are leaving.

Seattle deserves a team more so than a good half dozen current NBA cities.

New Orleans right now is a disaster - the Hornets never should have moved there in the first place.

Atlanta of course has never supported their team - although Atlanta is a big market.

That is sad, I could only imagine if the Pacers Moved, it would be crazy (and tremendously sad).

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hearing the fans last night in Seattle chant, "Save our Sonics" - this makes me sad that they are leaving.
    I was just going to say the same thing; I heard that last night. How sad to have this happen less than 24 hours later.

Exciting for Oklahoma City, though. How great for them; their own team and Kevin Durant and Jeff Green come with it.

How bad does it suck to get one of the best NCAA players of all time on your squad after years of mediocrity, then watch him drop 27 in his second-ever game only to be told the next day that you're only gonna be lame duck fans.

Sucks for Durant, too, that building is gonna be empty all year now.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

If it must happen, it must happen.

I would prefer that they do what Cleveland did. It would be great if the team be renamed and the "Sonics" monicker stay in Seattle. They make airplanes there, after all.

But hey, there are no lakes in Los Angeles and they don't play Jazz in Utah so maybe this is too much to ask from the NBA.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Not quite the welcome either Durant or Oden expected their rookie years Weird twist to the 07' draft. I must say like everyone else I feel bad for all the die hard Sonics fans, but OKC will be getting an exciting team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I feel bad for the Sonic fans.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

A local Seattle group is trying to save the day:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...e=NBAHeadlines

I just saw last night something about another group of investors is trying to buy the sonics. So there may yet still be hope.

sweabs

aaa

The Sonics arena issue isn't simple, but it is a fact that they have the worst current arena deal in the league. David Stern said as much.

And as someone living in Seattle pointed out, there are plenty of members of the finer things in life club. Lots of people there don't care about the Sonics, or sports there in general. They even had an organization called Citizens for Better Things that opposed any public money to fund arenas.

I don't know what the cost of a new arena in Seattle would be, but safe to say, it was many times the amount that Oklahoma City spent on the Ford Center. It was just $89 million to build that. That's a freakin bargain these days. Consider that the Sonics wanted $220M just to RENOVATE their current arena. Land/labor probably just costs a lot more in Seattle.

Yeah I saw that headline about another group in Seattle offering to buy the club but it doesn't sound like Bennett is intersted in selling the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    If it must happen, it must happen.

I would prefer that they do what Cleveland did. It would be great if the team be renamed and the "Sonics" monicker stay in Seattle. They make airplanes there, after all.

But hey, there are no lakes in Los Angeles and they don't play Jazz in Utah so maybe this is too much to ask from the NBA.

I believe the owner owns the Sonic fast food franchise, and is from OKC so the name is kinda appropriate.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWTF View Post
    I believe the owner owns the Sonic fast food franchise, and is from OKC so the name is kinda appropriate.
    Maybe the mascot should be Sonic the Hedgehog then.

What's next? The Atlanta Cherry Cokes?

This ain't a fantasy league. (Unless you're name is Mark Cuban)
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

This bums me out big-time. I guess because I love Seattle so much. Great place. Hate to see this happen to their fans...
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

What's next? The Atlanta Cherry Cokes?

This ain't a fantasy league. (Unless you're name is Mark Cuban)
    Yea, but it is kinda ironic eh? Seems to be destiny

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This really isn't news at all, and doesn't mean the Sonics are moving. The new stadium is still in limbo, and if that gets built, the Sonics will stay. It was already known that the owners were going to put in a bid to OKC, this just makes that part of it official. This is far from over.

I agree: Save the Seattle Sonics. They have great fans there, and it'd be a shame for that market to come to an end.

sweabs

aaa

If this goes through it'll be really sad. I moved to Vancouver, Canada recently and with the Grizzlies gone Seattle was the next closest team, 2 hours down the road. Now if the Sonics get relocated it'll be a 6 hour drive to Portland for the closest NBA action.

Worse though will be what happens to the fans in Seattle. They really support their team and the Sonics have been there for a while. The Northwest will really be lacking in pro basketball.

Could be a similar situation to Charlotte however. They lost their team and within a short time got another one in the Bobcats. I don't see the Hornets lasting too long in New Orleans. Maybe they'll be relocated to Seattle or even Vancouver.

Actually I think that would be pretty cool.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-