Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Schedule Thread

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: The Schedule Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well....I was attempting to interject some modicum of positivity after last night. "Bump" was my actual feelings on the matter.
    I realize that. I was addressing the idea more than you specifically. Just talking. I mean if those 4 games were on the road it would certainly be worse.

DC - the is a clue, but the reason I said that was that it was the Lakers visit and often trades are done right around the time teams get together, for whatever reason. Sort of "hey, why don't just leave Bynum here and let JO get on the plane". Or maybe the front office guys go out to dinner and hash it out in person.

Personally I am strongly anti-JO trade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    How's that working out for you?
    Um...I'm dyslexic?

5-11...just like I said.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Good news.

Things are looking pretty, pretty nice for the next two months. We have a few tough ones coming up the next two weeks (until Toronto really), but all and all, not much here scares me.

We got two vs. Phoenix and a trip to Salt Lake, but there aint a Dallas, SA, Boston or Houston in sight. Very nice. We do have that home-and-home with Detroit, but we always play them tough.

So....If we can can keep treading water and stay around .500 until December 14, we might be able to get fat on some holiday cupcakes.

Look at the opponents from December 15 through January 6. There's no reason we can't go 9-3 there.

December

Dec 2 at LA Clippers
    Dec 4 vs Phoenix
    Dec 7 at Orlando
    Dec 11 at Cleveland

Dec 12 vs Chicago
    Dec 14 vs Toronto
    Dec 15 at Miami
    Dec 17 at New York
    Dec 19 vs Philadelphia
    Dec 21 at Minnesota
    Dec 22 vs Washington
    Dec 26 at Atlanta

Dec 28 at Detroit
    Dec 29 vs Detroit
    Dec 31 at Charlotte

January

Jan 2 vs Memphis
    Jan 4 vs Atlanta

Jan 6 at LA Lakers
    Jan 8 at Utah
    Jan 9 at Phoenix
    Jan 12 at Sacramento
    Jan 13 at Golden State
    Jan 16 vs Golden State

Jan 19 vs Sacramento
    Jan 21 at Philadelphia
    Jan 23 at Chicago
    Jan 24 at Milwaukee
    Jan 26 at Miami

Jan 29 vs Detroit

Red is for tough stretches I don't expect us to do particularly well in, and we've added green for times where we might be able to put a nice winning stretch together. Also, for Christmas.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Dec 11 at Cleveland W
    Dec 12 vs Chicago W
    Dec 14 vs Toronto L
    Dec 15 at Miami W
    Dec 17 at New York W
    Dec 19 vs Philadelphia W
    Dec 21 at Minnesota W
    Dec 22 vs Washington L
    Dec 26 at Atlanta W
    I think that is a pretty winnable stretch of games and I could see us going 6 - 2 in that stretch. I said by the end of December we'd be 4th in the east and 2nd in our division 2 weeks or so ago. I really need to dig up that post.

Man, a near win vs PHX and then a huge win in ORL. Nice way to show up in the red portion so far. Add to this several days off before Cleveland and Lebron's injury and that game looks a lot more like an expected win.

Then you run into an easier stretch of games. I do think you have to watch out on those Atlanta games more than you might think, but otherwise The Don could be right.

The key is for this team to take advantage of it while they can. Get bolstered for that JAN west trip that will just about finish off that, and then you can hunker down for the playoff push from a pretty good position.

Well tonight should be huge. Either the Pacers show that Atlanta is not a problem and turn the next 6 games into 2 tough Detroit games and 4 easy looks, or it's 4 tough games instead.

With the hard version of the West trip coming right after that it's time to fasten the seat belts for a bumpy ride.

Oh yeah, I did slip in that little Detroit thing. Back to back vs the NBA's evil empire. It sure would be nice to get one of those 2, and it would send a strong message to the league on the Pacers legitimacy (as well as to local fans, including me ).

Speaking of back to back games, how about the Pacers record on 2nd nights, it's nuts. 7-2, go figure. I guess we know which of the 2 Pistons games to watch.

Looking at the schedule I see something Iíve never noticed before. We have five back to backs against the same team. When the same teams play back to back during the season I think they have a tendency to split. That made me wonder if the NBA was scheduling more back to backs between the same teams in an attempt to even things out a bit.

Then I got the idea that if that was true, other teams would have a lot of back to backs. So I looked at eight other teams schedules and found a total of 14 back to backs, so I donít think thatís the case.

I also found our two games back to back against Golden State arenít true back to back games. They play another team in-between their two with us. For all I know that could be the case in some of the other 14 back to backs I found above. I didnít compare teams schedules.

Pacers back to backs.

Dec.
    Fri 28 @ Detroit
    Sat 29 vs Detroit

Jan.
    Sun 13 @ Golden State
    Wed 16 vs Golden State
    Fri 22 vs New Jersey
    Sat 23 @ New Jersey

Mar.
    Wed 26 @ New Jersey
    Fri 28 vs New Jersey

Apr.
    Fri 04 @ Milwaukee
    Sun 06 vs Milwaukee

The trade deadline is Feb. 21, I see us playing .500 ball until then.

The next 6 games, I see us going 3-3. I think we will split with Detroit and Atlanta and lose one of the other games.

Wed 26 @ Atlanta
    Fri 28 @ Detroit
    Sat 29 vs Detroit
    Mon 31 @ Charlotte
    January
    Wed 02 vs Memphis
    Fri 04 vs Atlanta
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I see us just managing to win one only one game over the next six games, and going 1-5. However, I donít see us winning against Golden State in the last game. Thatís our first game back after our Western road trip and all Eastern teams have trouble winning them.

Sun 06 @ LA Lakers
    Tue 08 @ Utah
    Wed 09 @ Phoenix
    Sat 12 @ Sacramento
    Sun 13 @ Golden State
    Wed 16 vs Golden State

The next 6 games 5-1. Our Eastern road trip looks pretty easy right now.

Sat 19 vs Sacramento
    Mon 21 @ Philadelphia
    Wed 23 @ Chicago
    Thu 24 @ Milwaukee
    Sat 26 @ Miami
    Tue 29 vs Detroit

I think we will go 4-4 the last 8 games before the trade deadline.

February
    Fri 01 vs Houston
    Sat 02 vs Orlando
    Tue 05 vs San Antonio
    Wed 06 @ New York
    Sat 09 vs Portland
    Tue 12 vs Boston
    Wed 13 @ Detroit
    Wed 20 vs Cleveland

That would make us two games over .500 at the All Star break, with a 28-26 record. However, I feel, and note I said feel, we will continue to go about 6-4 for every ten games the remainder of the year. With 54 games left that would make us winning around 47 games this year.

Well the crap is over at least and hopefully a little bit of an upturn.
    The next 6 games 5-1. Our Eastern road trip looks pretty easy right now.

Sat 19 vs Sacramento
    Mon 21 @ Philadelphia
    Wed 23 @ Chicago
    Thu 24 @ Milwaukee
    Sat 26 @ Miami
    Tue 29 vs Detroit
    Man, I hope so. I see danger going to Philly, Chicago and Milwaukee. After all at the time it wasn't unreasonable to say this too...
    The next 6 games, I see us going 3-3. I think we will split with Detroit and Atlanta and lose one of the other games.

Wed 26 @ Atlanta
    Fri 28 @ Detroit
    Sat 29 vs Detroit
    Mon 31 @ Charlotte
    January
    Wed 02 vs Memphis
    Fri 04 vs Atlanta
    1-5 later and things haven't been looking so good since then.

BTW, it's depressing just looking back to our feelings from 2 months ago. GD'it if my off-season predictions come true. I liked being Negative Nancy a lot more than Realistic Ronnie. (trademark)
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-13-2008 at 11:50 PM.

Here's what we got left until the All Star Break.

Jan 16 vs Golden State
    Jan 19 vs Sacramento
    Jan 21 at Philadelphia
    Jan 23 at Chicago
    Jan 24 at Milwaukee
    Jan 26 at Miami
    Jan 29 vs Detroit

Feb 2 vs Orlando
    Feb 5 vs San Antonio
    Feb 6 at New York
    Feb 9 vs Portland
    Feb 12 vs Boston
    Feb 13 at Detroit

7 homes, 7 aways.

But look at that beginning of February...Pretty f'in' brutal. Three best teams in the East, the best team of the decade, and the hottest team in the League in PLand (though I'm guessing they'll cool off by then).

Regardless, .500 ball til the break seems pretty likely and I'm guessing we'll be entering it on a down note. Seriously, 3-4 in our last 7 going in and I'll be celebrating.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

That 4 game road trip is going to be very, very interesting and I believe extremely telling.

All 4 are winnable games. This week the team has several off days at home, a chance to re-coup and practice and clear their heads a little bit.

I will be looking at those 4 roads games with a very critical eye.

I like the Pacers chances going forward mainly because I think the new lineup plays to their strengths and not their weaknesses. Defensive rotations have been better, ball movement starts off being better at least. And it sesms shot selection has gotten better; guys just aren't knocking some of them down when it really matters.

I've seen players attacking the basket more, and for the first time all season the Pacers have managed to keep the free throw shooting even on both sides in back-to-back games. So, maybe the light bulk is starting to shine a little brighter in the minds of some players (ummmm...Tinsley and his brilliant hockey move against Ellis the clear exception ).

What this team needs is another big body who can spare JO and still give the team 8-10 ppg. I really hope Ike has been using his timeoff well and getting on the practise floor. I'd like to see him come back playing at the level he was prior to his injury. If the Pacers can get that Ike back, JOB's new lineup could really work.

Bump. Here comes the big flurry of wins. Look at the schedule from here on out. They even get NJ in post-Kidd era (which may or may not help).

Sorry tank brigade, it doesn't look good for you. Look on the bright side, they weren't getting and even if they make the playoffs they can get someone like Augustin, Love, etc. At least they HAVE a pick this year, unlike last.

Was just about to do this, Seth.

We're definitely making the Playoffs.

Our final 16 games are a f'ing joke. Aside from Boston and New Orleans, there's no reason we can't win every game after March 15.

We'll likely be favored in Vegas in all but 9 of our remaining games (and that's' including one each against Philly and ATL and two against Toronto).

So much for that Eric Gordon bandwagon.

Feb 22 vs New Jersey
    Feb 23 at New Jersey
    Feb 25 vs Toronto
    Feb 27 vs Chicago
    Feb 29 at Toronto

Mar 2 vs Milwaukee
    Mar 5 at Houston
    Mar 6 at San Antonio
    Mar 8 at Cleveland
    Mar 11 vs Seattle
    Mar 14 at Dallas
    Mar 15 at Orlando
    Mar 17 vs New York
    Mar 19 vs Charlotte
    Mar 21 vs Minnesota
    Mar 22 at Chicago
    Mar 25 vs New Orleans
    Mar 26 at New Jersey
    Mar 28 vs New Jersey
    Mar 31 vs Miami

Apr 2 at Boston
    Apr 4 at Milwaukee
    Apr 6 vs Milwaukee
    Apr 8 vs Atlanta
    Apr 11 at Philadelphia
    Apr 12 vs Charlotte
    Apr 14 at Washington
    Apr 16 vs New York

Banned

For all the people talking about the easy schedule, you do realize the Pacers suck, right? A game vs the Bobcats may seem like an easy win....until you realize we're 0-2 against them this year. Of our 28 remaining games, only 10 are games against teams with worse records than us.

People are assuming the Nets (who we face 4 times) will be worse, but based on what? Jason Kidd, for as great as he allegedly is, threw up more bricks than Jamaal Tinsley, not to mention his prima donna attitude had to hurt team chemistry. Now they have Devin Harris, who, at this point, is a far superior defender and scorer than Kidd, and is youthful and energetic and should improve the chemistry in New Jersey. If anything, I think they'll be improved.

The Heat now have a healthy Dwyane Wade to go along with Shawn Marion. That game - one of the 10 against teams with worse records - certainly wont be a gimme.

Chicago will likely be improved with their trade today. They, like the Nets, have talent, and they, too, rid themselves of a malcontent hurting team chemistry.

The Wolves have a better record than us since the start of the new year.

The Bucks, a team that's now just 1 game back of us, also have a better record than us since the new year.

As of right now, I'd argue that only the Knicks and the Sonics are noticeably worse than us. And the Sonics beat us earlier in the year.

People here are clearly overestimating just how good the Pacers are. It's not surprising, it's always been that way. Just go back and look at this thread for evidence of that.

Over the final 28 games of the season, I'm predicting a record of 11-17, which is actually a better winning percentage than we're currently at. That will put us at 32-50 to finish the season, and likely somewhere between #5-#7 in the lottery standings. I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    Our final 16 games are a f'ing joke.
    If you add up our record vs our last 16 opponents of the season, we're sub-.500. And that's including somehow beating New Orleans in our only meeting with them this year. As bad as some of those teams are, we're just as bad - and right now, we're playing worst than most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    Aside from Boston and New Orleans, there's no reason we can't win every game after March 15.
    There's also no reason we can't lose every game after March 15. We are 21-33 after all.
    Last edited by Kofi; 02-21-2008 at 11:04 PM.