Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The NBA Trade Deadline Thread

Banned

Default The NBA Trade Deadline Thread

Thought I'd make a thread to put all of the NBA trade deadline rumors in... If it's redundant or whatever, then I apologize.

Some interesting rumors coming out of Cleveland late tonight....

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/cavs/200...s-at-pacers-2/

Folks, I have not watched a second of the first half as I pursue some hot trade rumors with the Cavs. They are being very active and are in talks over a blockbuster that has not been reported yet. It does not involve Mike Miller. More to come later.
    –So this will surely disappoint some of you and also anger some of you, but I cannot yet say what player the Cavs are considering making a deal for. I have to protect sources. But I can tell you that I have talked to two different people in different organizations that have confirmed the talks are serious. I know you want more, but I just can’t give it to you at this point. I am not trying to build up ratings here, I am reporting what I can report. Just know that Danny Ferry is serious about trying to upgrade the roster. Whether or not it gets done though is up in the air. It’s 50/50 at best.

–Here is what I can tell you, it is a trade that would change the dynamic somewhat of how the Cavs play but not directly affect the way LeBron James plays. Also, if this deal goes through, it would potentially allow the Cavs to make another deal.

–Also, the Cavs are trying to get a first-round pick as part of the deal. Which is a sticking point, the other team doesn’t want to give it up. Perhaps this is because they are thinking of trading their first round pick this year or next year as part of another deal.

–After the game, the Cavs locker room was buzzing about the deadline. There are players who have heard their names in rumors and are convinced they are being traded. Some players even were half-jokingly saying goodbye to one another. Others weren’t paying attention. But make no mistake, there is a strong belief in the Cavs locker room that they are going to do something. Maybe nothing will happen. A year ago on this night I was writing about how Danny was beating down the doors trying to get Mike Bibby and it didn’t happen. I am just trying to do my job.
    More on the game a little later
    Browsing the Cav's board, I've seen J.O.'s name mentioned a couple of times, but I don't think so. It's a 1-for-1 deal and the Cav's are trying to squeak a 1st rounder out of it. Unless it's for LeBron, I don't think so.

Could be something with Carter and Hughes. A talent drop-off for the Nets, but Hughes' deal is both lesser in annual salary and a year less in length.

Maybe something with Jamaal Tinsley? The Cav's wanted Bibby and failed, Jamaal could be their plan B. Could be they're trying to get Indy to include a pick to warrant taking Jamaal's contract, who knows?

Could be Mike Miller....
    Last edited by Kofi; 02-21-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Sports Logo

Default Re: The NBA Trade Deadline Thread

A VC for Hughes deal would meet the same salary requirements of getting out from under VCs contract by the 2010-2011 season and can make some sense in some way.......but I can't see the Cavs giving up some player that could net them a 1st round draft pick as well.

If anything....the Cavs are in the same spot that we are in....alot of players that they would want to move but with huge long-term contracts that are difficult to move.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Zydrunas would be the only person I could think of
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Banned

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5557975.html

Rockets send Bonzi Wells and Mike James to New Orleans for Bobby Jackson and a 2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5557975.html

Rockets send Bonzi Wells and Mike James to New Orleans for Bobby Jackson and a 2nd round pick.
    OK, someone help me out here. Why does Houston do this?

I know they had a logjam at PG (Alston, James, Francis, Head, Brooks) but this doesn't solve that. Jackson's a good backup, but is he really worth Bonzi and Mike James?

New Orleans, on the other hand, gets even better. They have some nice depth now.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

wow bonzi and mike james for BJax and a pick!? we so could have used bonzi or mike james...
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    OK, someone help me out here. Why does Houston do this?

I know they had a logjam at PG (Alston, James, Francis, Head, Brooks) but this doesn't solve that. Jackson's a good backup, but is he really worth Bonzi and Mike James?

New Orleans, on the other hand, gets even better. They have some nice depth now.
    It looks like it was Houston dumping Mike James contract. He has 2/$12.5M remaining after this season, whereas Jackson is only at 1/$6M. I guess Bonzi Wells was the "sweetener".

Banned

Finding another big man on Dallas Mavericks' radar

01:13 AM CST on Thursday, February 21, 2008

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
    esefko@dallasnews.com

NEW ORLEANS – As the Dallas Mavericks started the post-All-Star break with a new, smaller team, the Western Conference powers continue to get bigger.

San Antonio acquired center/forward Kurt Thomas from Seattle, the West's third championship-caliber team this month to pick up an impact big man.

The Mavericks have chosen a different route by trading for point guard Jason Kidd. But they may jump on the big-man bandwagon before long.

Owner Mark Cuban said before Wednesday's game that the club will weigh its options moving forward to fill a roster spot with a big man to replace backup center DeSagana Diop, who was part of the trade to acquire Kidd.

"If somebody gets cut or there's a trade, a guy like [recently waived] Justin Williams at Sacramento, who is kind of like where DeSagana was a couple years ago, we'll take a look," Cuban said.

There's no rush, unless the Mavericks have another trade they want to complete by today's 3 p.m. deadline. Such a deal seems unlikely.

The more likely scenario is that the Mavericks will watch the waiver wire and perhaps give a call to somebody like veteran 6-11 forward/center Dale Davis, who has been semi-retired in the Keith Van Horn mold.

"He's on the list," Cuban said.

One option the Mavericks won't explore is 6-11 forward/center P.J. Brown, whose agent is Mark Bartelstein, the representative of Devean George who advised his client to block the original Kidd trade by not giving up his Larry Bird rights in free agency.

"He's a Bartelstein guy, and all things being equal, we'd say no," Cuban said.
    I would say Jeff Foster, but they have little to nothing to offer in the way of young talents or picks. Brandon Bass looks semi-interesting, but he's not enough for Jeff and he seems a little redundant to Ike. It would be cool to see Dale get another shot at a ring on a team that we can actually root for.
    Last edited by Kofi; 02-21-2008 at 03:43 AM.

Banned

Looking like Feisty will remain a Pacer....

Jazz not expected to do any late dealing

Team appears content with sticking by its current roster - the league's third-youngest
    By Ross Siler
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 02/21/2008 01:33:44 AM MST

Taking into consideration the recent NBA trades that brought Aaron McKie and Keith Van Horn out of retirement (at least for salary-cap purposes), Deron Williams has the perfect surprise the Jazz could pull at today's trade deadline.

"I told Jeff [Hornacek] he needs to come back and play,'' Williams said of the retired 44-year-old Jazz great, now working as a part-time assistant coach. His sales pitch to Hornacek? "Spot up. That's all you've got to do is spot up. I'll get it to you."
    The likelihood of the Jazz making any move - Hornacek or otherwise - by today's 1 p.m. MDT deadline is small. But it would not represent inaction as much as a vote of confidence in the continued growth of what is the NBA's third-youngest team.
    The only teams younger than the Jazz (average age 25.6) are Portland and Atlanta, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The NBA's three oldest teams, by contrast, happen to be three of the Jazz's primary rivals in the Western Conference: Dallas, Phoenix and San Antonio.

While Dallas acquired soon-to-be 35-year-old Jason Kidd and Phoenix traded for soon-to-be 36-year-old Shaquille O'Neal, the Jazz continue to have just one player older than 30 on their roster in Matt Harpring.
    "What I feel is that certain teams get a year older next season and certain teams get a year better,'' said an NBA general manager, who sees a player like Steve Nash's numbers declining next season while a player like Williams' should increase.

That thinking is why the Jazz are not expected to make a move at today's deadline. A league source said Wednesday the Jazz several days ago ruled out pushing for a deal on their end, although they would continue to field calls from teams.
    Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor was tightlipped on the subject of the trade deadline. "We're evaluating everything,'' he said. "That's about where it's at."
    It's hard to argue with the Jazz's present trajectory. They advanced to the Western Conference finals and have won 19 of 22 games since Kyle Korver's arrival in a December trade.

"We've got young guys and that's a whole thing,'' Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "They learn how to play together. They learn how to help each other. They hopefully like each other. That makes it a little bit easier - it's not mandatory - but you hope they succeed together out on the floor."

Sloan described that growth as sometimes being a "slow process" filled with highs and lows. He also can see it as a route that teams over the years have taken in reaching the NBA Finals.

"A lot of teams,'' Sloan said, "have gotten better and gotten better and gotten better, have gotten knocked down a few times, and had to fight back. You learn a lot from those things."

At the same time, Sloan noted that the Jazz have had little adversity to overcome the last two years. He also regularly mentions the team's lack of experience, especially after replacing veteran Derek Fisher with second-year guard Ronnie Brewer in the starting five.

"I think we're going to be a good team,'' Williams said. "I think we are a good team right now and can get better as we just learn to play with each other, grow with each other."
    Harpring, meanwhile, looked at Korver riding the stationary bike next to him and joked: "I guess we did our Shaq trade. There he is." He also had one request if he's going to be branded the old man of the team at 31.
    "The elder statesman,'' Harpring said. "That's what I like to be referred to as."
    rsiler@sltrib.com
    But then again, what about Toronto?

Raps Need Someone Like Thomas

By FRANK ZICARELLI

The Kurt Thomas of old, but not an old Kurt Thomas, would be a nice complementary piece to the incomplete puzzle that is the Raptors.

With the veteran setting up shop in San Antonio following yesterday's trade from Seattle, the reigning champions acquired additional depth.

Though Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo enticed Thomas to Phoenix a few years ago, there seemed to be little, if any interest, from Toronto this time.

Thomas' best days, afterall, are behind -- in San Antonio he'll be an extra body to bang against a very tough Western Conference -- but it's precisely the type of player he once was that is required with these jump-shot happy Raptors.

Someone who can defend the post, protect the paint, provide some veteran presence, these are the elusive attributes missing from the Raptors.

It's seems unlikely the Raptors will be able to address this one issue on a team that could desperately use an athletic wing player before today's 3 p.m. trade deadline.
    Last edited by Kofi; 02-21-2008 at 03:57 AM.

Banned

But then again....

O'Brien expects no changes before deadline

With O'Neal, Tinsley injured, Pacers' Bird is finding it difficult to make a beneficial trade

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien believes he will be coaching the same group of players he began the season with come 3 p.m. today, which is the NBA trading deadline.

"That's my sense; this will be the group we will have," O'Brien said.

Team president Larry Bird will continue to work the phones up to the deadline as he tries to fix a team that could be on its way to missing the playoffs for the second straight season.
    Bird is having a difficult time pulling off a trade because the two players the Pacers wouldn't mind moving -- Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley -- are both injured.

"Of course, you always wonder if you're going to get traded," said Pacers center Jeff Foster, who has been mentioned in some trade rumors. "It's human nature to wonder. It's part of the business, though."

After Wednesday night's loss to Cleveland, the Pacers are 21/2 games out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
    "It is what it is," O'Brien said when asked about trying to reach the playoffs with the same group of players. "I happen to like coaching this group of players. I think they feel like they haven't played their best basketball. . . . If Larry and his group decide to make a change, we'll make that adjustment. If this is the group that has to fight it out for the playoffs, that's fine with me."

This trading season has seemed crazy. I don't remember this many players getting moved in one season.Well big name players at least.

Quote Originally Posted by newman8r View Post
    This trading season has seemed crazy. I don't remember this many players getting moved in one season.Well big name players at least.
    Yet a team and fanbase in need of a shot in the arm like the Pacers hasn't done anything as of 6AM on "Deadline Day".

We don't seem to be able/willing to even exchange bench players in hopes of finding a diamond in the rough... let alone doing something larger.

I wonder what it is like to be part of a team on the road to 50 losses and see your management standing pat?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Yet a team and fanbase in need of a shot in the arm like the Pacers hasn't done anything as of 6AM on "Deadline Day".

We don't seem to be able/willing to even exchange bench players in hopes of finding a diamond in the rough... let alone doing something larger.

I wonder what it is like to be a fan of of a team on the road to 50 losses and see your management standing pat? Guess I'm about to be reminded.

-Bball
    Fixed
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Banned

Looks like the Raptors are really after a veteran big man. I wonder if there's been any talks with the Pacers? Their 1st is currently at #19.....

Colangelo fails to land Smith

Feb 21, 2008 04:30 AM

Bryan Colangelo was rebuffed in one attempt to land a veteran frontcourt player for the stretch run of the NBA season.

Multiple league sources said last night the Raptor president and general manager tried to pry 32-year-old Joe Smith from the Chicago Bulls before today's 3 p.m. trade deadline.

It's unclear what the Raptors offered for the 6-foot-10 Smith, who's averaging 11 points and five rebounds a game. However, the fact the offer was made suggests Colangelo is aggressively seeking some experience to help Toronto through the final 30 games of the regular season and into the playoffs.

Colangelo said yesterday that the chances of pulling off some sort of transaction today are 50/50.

Without breaking up the core of his team, his main trading chips are the expiring contract of Juan Dixon (about $3 million), the minuscule amount that Darrick Martin makes (just under $1.5 million), the inconsistent Joey Graham, and backup big man Kris Humphries, who signed a three-year contract extension just before the season began.

Doug Smith

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On Mike & Mike in the Morning, Ric Bucher said that the Rockets are set to trade Bonzi Wells, and Mike James to New Orleans, for Bobby Jackson.

That adds a little bit more depth for the Hornets, nice last minute deal.

Nothing will happen tonight.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What the hell are the Rockets thinking with that deal? Absolutely horrible.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Does Jackson's contract expire after this season? I mean they do have two highly paid all-star players and when your supporting cast is not giving you much (James) or anything at all but crap (Wells, remember the people who wanted us to bring this guy in here?!!!) then you have to find something better. IF Jackson is expiring this summer or the summer afterwards that would give them a little room for a reasonable FA signing I guess.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I don't think this has been posted yet. Ike is on the market

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...225&type=story

Some of the latest chatter from discussions with various front-office executives around the league on the eve of Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline:

• All signs in the early hours of Thursday morning pointed to Denver not making the much-discussed move for Ron Artest.

It sounds like the Kings would indeed rather move Artest than keep him at this point, given that they're unlikely to re-sign him in the summer and could use the final 29 games to get an even better feel for what John Salmons and their three point guards (Beno Udrih, Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue) can do. But Denver is still showing reluctance.

One factor, naturally, is Sacramento's insistence that it gets Nuggets forward Linas Kleiza in the exchange along with Eduardo Najera's expiring contract. Kleiza is not only one of the league's best bargains at the paltry salary of $1 million but also a big favorite of Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke after playing college ball with Kroenke's son at Missouri.

Philadelphia's interest in Artest, meanwhile, has yet to advance past the rumblings stage.

• Denver does have some live talks going with Miami and New Jersey regarding Nene, even though the Brazilian bruiser's return date has not been locked in yet after surgery to remove a testicular tumor in January.

The Heat are known to be looking for a big man in the wake of Shaquille O'Neal's departure, and Nene for Jason Williams' expiring contract would work financially and positionally for the Nuggets, who need payroll relief and a point guard.

But New Jersey has likewise shown an interest and could put the expiring contracts of Jamaal Magloire, Bostjan Nachbar and Darrell Armstrong together to get to Nene's salary level ($8.8 million).

• If Indiana trades a big man before Thursday's buzzer, it's far more likely to be Ike Diogu than Jermaine O'Neal. The Pacers know that the prospect of getting back anything appealing for O'Neal is a major long shot given all the uncertainty about his health with two-plus years and nearly $45 million left on his contract. I've been strongly advised to expect JO to play out the rest of the season in Indy.

• There was a strong suggestion Wednesday that the Grizzlies have taken highly coveted sharpshooter Mike Miller off the market completely. The Grizz had been trying to convince teams that they're serious this time when they say that whoever trades for Miller has to take back Brian Cardinal as well, after the same condition was attached to Pau Gasol and didn't prevent the Lakers from stealing Pau anyway. I suppose things could change with so many teams interested in Miller -- Cleveland, Miami and the L.A. Clippers are just a few of them -- but the Grizz apparently believe they won't be offered anything for Miller now that can't be topped closer to the draft.

• The Mavericks know they need a size infusion on the front line behind Erick Dampier after surrendering DeSagana Diop in the Jason Kidd deal, and they're exploring a market that features the likes of Diogu and Minnesota's Michael Doleac. But Dallas would seemingly prefer to wait until after the trading deadline, when the pool of available big men could conceivably get deeper after a few player buyouts. The Mavs have two roster spots open and all of their $5.2 million mid-level exception to use to fill them.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd deal Ike for a mid-first rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'd deal Ike for a mid-first rounder.
    Would Kyle Lowry for Ike make sense for both teams?

when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar

is hornets/rockets deal done? espn says 'it's on VERGE' and yahoo says 'were close to'.
    well it doesn't matter unless pacers deal anyone. 3hours left. Ooh-Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Would Kyle Lowry for Ike make sense for both teams?
    well it would work, but dont know why Memphis would want to. Both players contract are expiring after this season.

Considering I read somewhere that 14 teams have inquired about Lowry, I doubt Ike would be the top bid. Could be wrong, though.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I fear this trade deadline is going to be as exciting as our season..