Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

  1. #1
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Well, Able. Hats off to you.

    You got Jamaal for nothing more than a slight shift in the draft.

    Unbelievable.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  2. #2
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,783

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    I noticed that, thought it was a crazy pick first but I just didn’t believe
    OB must have a very change of philosophy, mind you it was good to watch RC on ESPN last night
    The only key would be now, can Tins stay healthy...


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  3. #3
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,706

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    I have always believed in him and yeah I was happy with that trade


    But is this where we can moan and groan? because I have a rant or two ready
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  4. #4
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Have at it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  5. #5
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,706

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings



    Players Position Changes: Or how to wreck the system.


    Every year again, specially in new leagues but here also a barrage of "position change votes" comes along, starting just hours after the draft (or minutes even).

    Somehow it seems people draft a player with this in mind.
    Not looking at what the actual position is according to a "certain" site we use, they want to have their roster filled with double position players, mainly because it scores easier and better.

    However, not that many players in the league actually play more then one position.

    So here comes the conflict; I draft player A who is listed as a F but I am "thin" at C, so if I can get player A (who happens to be an allstar) to count for FC then I have the best of both worlds.
    Whilst there were 2 more FC's on the board, I decide to go for the F and within minutes after the draft I put up a vote, if it doesn't work the first time I simply do it again, maybe less ppl will vote against this time.

    IMO you should draft per need, and thus select a FC if you need one, or a CF but not a F and "hope to change the position".

    You can also select the best player left, and trade him for a FC if you want, it makes the league only more interesting.

    BUT PLEASE stop this "position change nonsense" because to me it feels like bending the rules.

    HRMPH!


    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  6. #6
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Or, it may have to do with the fact that people are told the new system will be based upon nba.com positions.

  7. #7
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,397

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However, not that many players in the league actually play more then one position.


    You can also select the best player left, and trade him for a FC if you want, it makes the league only more interesting.

    BUT PLEASE stop this "position change nonsense" because to me it feels like bending the rules.

    HRMPH!


    Okay, my turn.

    I totally disagree with you.

    I've made it no secret that I watch as much NBA as I can, whether it's the Pacers, or whichever team. I've watched part or all of 6 games so far and the season has just started.

    I can tell you from my viewing, as in years past, a BUNCH of players play more than one position.

    Just using my team for an example. Channing Frye came into the league as a C. He played some C for NY, along with F. He gets traded to Portland and the newspapers talk about how he may play some backup center. Watching the Portland game the other night, I saw as he played just at F.

    I posted a thread about Linas Kleiza backing up Carmello AND Diawarya on Sports.ws.

    If you watched the Pistons game last night, you would have seen Maxiell playing a looong stretch of the second half at C, going against Shaq at one point, which was weird to watch. The Detroit papers said he would play C this season.

    McCants primarily plays SG because of the trade. Still with same team. Still in same system, still with the same coach. And he still slides oevr to SF, it's just that he plays SG the most. I see a LOT of players sliding over a position as part of substitution patterns.

    I can tell you empirically that half my team plays two positions.

    And yet, I've only put one up for a vote. The one I felt was the most obvious, even to the casual observer.

    It's easy to say "just trade for the positional player you want", but in reality, I've found it extremely hard to get people to make any type of trade. I'm especially sympathetic to the FC position. It's become such an interchangable position lately, plus if you go through the rosters, I'd say pure C are outnumbers 2-1 easily by G and Fs.

    The nly problem with position change I have is the "throw some *** on the wall and see what sticks" approach. You know those ones:

    "I don't know for sure because I haven't seen him play, but I heard player X plays GF. I'll list one sporting site as evidence and see if it passes."

    For me, if you can list the local paper showing it true, an EXCELLENT site like Rotoworld giving evidence, then some supporting facts, you get my vote.

    I don't mind position votes. I do mind really weak arguments for support.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 11-02-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  8. #8
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    I mentioned this a while ago. I hate that the league has completely diluted the center pool. I have three genuine starting centers - guys who actually play center, and show up on the box score as starting at center.

    So with 10% of the league's starting centers, two of which are big numbers producers, you'd think I'd have a decent situation to make up some points for not having a superstar forward.

    But no, evidently every power forward in the league is a center. Tim Duncan doesn't start at center and sees very few minutes there. Francisco Elson starts at center. You'd think this would boost Elson's value. But since all the forwards are centers, too you don't need a pure center, in fact they are worthless.

    Positions should be based on starting. all the backups in the league can be argued into two positions. If they were to start, they reveal what they REALLY are. a guard is a guard and a forward is a forward.

    Just because the guy holding the ball for the kicker can pick it up and throw it doesn't make him a starting quarterback... Unless he plays for Dallas. OK bad example. :doh:
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  9. #9
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or, it may have to do with the fact that people are told the new system will be based upon nba.com positions.
    This is valid, especially for a keeper league. switching from site to site is going to come with some bumps and bruises for everyone, but in the end things will work out.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  10. #10
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    an EXCELLENT site like Rotoworld giving evidence
    Cool, I've never really seen this site.

    Oh, and look at that...another listing of Al Harrington as FC!

    By the way, I completely agree with everything you said. I'm a league pass junkie...at 7pm every night, I drop whatever I'm doing and watch a bit of each game until they're done at 1-2am. It's not hard to see some of these guys playing a couple different positions depending on the matchups.

  11. #11
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    My wife would leave me if I watched that much basketball.

    The league pass broadband is great - I can have family time and still watch BB when she's not around.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,653

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Maybe next season, on our own site, we can limit the number of multi-position players each team can have on thier roster.

  13. #13
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe next season, on our own site, we can limit the number of multi-position players each team can have on thier roster.
    I love that you are problem solving.

    The error of "limiting" is that our league is that there is total freedom over what players you can draft or otherwise pick up. I could pick up Jessica Alba if I wanted to. (yeah, right )

    If someone wants to stack at one position, or multi-positional guys, that's fine with me. Stacking is part of gaining a long term advantage.

    I've thought a LOT about this issue and I think the rotoworld "position %" stats are the best in the business. a simple numerical standard, based on the previous season (and then the current season once we're 20-30 games in) could be a good way to go.

    let's say at least 34% of a players time must be at their "alternate" position to be considered a multi-positional player. If a guy spends less than that at a position, they should lose multi-status.

    Just throwing ideas around.

    And of course, as a KL rookie, I know that my opinion shouldn't really count.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  14. #14
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love that you are problem solving.

    The error of "limiting" is that our league is that there is total freedom over what players you can draft or otherwise pick up. I could pick up Jessica Alba if I wanted to. (yeah, right )

    If someone wants to stack at one position, or multi-positional guys, that's fine with me. Stacking is part of gaining a long term advantage.

    I've thought a LOT about this issue and I think the rotoworld "position %" stats are the best in the business. a simple numerical standard, based on the previous season (and then the current season once we're 20-30 games in) could be a good way to go.

    let's say at least 34% of a players time must be at their "alternate" position to be considered a multi-positional player. If a guy spends less than that at a position, they should lose multi-status.

    Just throwing ideas around.

    And of course, as a KL rookie, I know that my opinion shouldn't really count.
    I like what you are presenting here, and don't feel that your opinion should not be heard because you are new. You are as much an owner as those of us that have been around since day one.

    I too struggle with the multi postion question as well. It really has to come down to how each player is used by their respective team. Duncan is a perfect example of a player that "should" be a center, but rarely plays there during a game. Elson and Oberto get the majority of the minutes there with Duncan only sliding into the spot if Horry or the red headed guy (his name escapes me) is in the game.

    On the other hand, a player like A. Stodamire (sp.) is a center on the Suns, but probably would not play the position on any other team. look at the Wizards. Who is the center after Haywood? Do they even have one?

    As I said, its a tough call.

  15. #15
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    By the way Jose,

    Your team had 5 DNP's???




    I feel bad about winning that game.

    Sort of.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  16. #16
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    On my schedule page it has game one as a lose for me even though I won 266-225. Hope it does not reflect this in the standings.

  17. #17
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On my schedule page it has game one as a lose for me even though I won 266-225. Hope it does not reflect this in the standings.
    I'm getting the same error, and if I click on the box from the calendar schedule, it comes up all zeros.

    But the standings seem to be OK
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  18. #18
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm getting the same error, and if I click on the box from the calendar schedule, it comes up all zeros.

    But the standings seem to be OK

    I saw that, which is great. I hopr KG and Crawfrd repeat their games so i cna pull out another win.

    I took a chance on Cook after his one shinning moment. I like L.Head, but Cook has better size and a worse team.

  19. #19
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    I never thought I'd see the day when Chris Kaman is higher rated than Kevin Garnett.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  20. #20
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    How is that LA?

    Anyway, I'm going to have to figure out what to do about my lack of minutes at the center spot. Losing an overtime game bacause I left them on the table is dumb.

  21. #21
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Looks like I'm headed for Loss #1 vs Cleveland.

    I knew there was no way my guys could sustain that kind of production.

    EDIT= if Ray Allen goes off in game three then CLeveland will be loss #2.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 11-07-2007 at 01:24 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  22. #22
    Proud VCU Alum Mistachill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    Actually depending on the situation its usually Blatche (when he plays) or Songalia. At some point I'm planning to request a position change on Blatche but I want to establish a track record first. But the guy is playing backup center right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the other hand, a player like A. Stodamire (sp.) is a center on the Suns, but probably would not play the position on any other team. look at the Wizards. Who is the center after Haywood? Do they even have one?

    As I said, its a tough call.

  23. #23
    2014 IKL Champion DrBadd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States.
    Posts
    1,968

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    5 games in and I am undefeated against teams not owned by Rimfire. Now to solve that problem. .. . . . . . .

  24. #24
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,783

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    When does the east get to beat the all the easy beat west teams

    I'm appualed by the lack of scores in the west,

    This can't be helping

    Most Unused Minutes

    TeamMinutes G F C
    1. Amsterdam 364 193 27 144
    2. Bangkok 307 0 284 23
    3. Roaming Gnome's 218 26 59 133
    4. Manila 195 0 152 43
    5. Serenity Valley 173 0 173 0
    6. West Lafayette 99 29 46 24
    7. Harlem 75 75 0 0
    8. San Antonio 64 0 4 60
    9. Dynamite 41 4 37 0
    10. St. Somewhere 37 0 37 0
    11. Redbull 8 8 0 0
    12. Cleveland 4 0 0 4
    13. London 2 0 0 2
    14. Gnawbone 1 0 0 1
    15. Denton 0 0 0 0
    16. Burnzone 0 0 0 0
    17. Venice 0 0 0 0
    18. Cedar City 0 0 0 0
    19. Gotham City 0 0 0 0
    20. Bad News 0 0 0 0


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  25. #25
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: KEEPER LEAGUE - Random Rants and Musings

    299. If it wasn't for it being an "away" game I would have hit 300.

    That was bad news for Bad News, as they put up 276 and lost.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

Similar Threads

  1. ABA - Random Rants and Musings
    By Los Angeles in forum Sports.ws Fantasy Basketball
    Replies: 200
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 11:19 AM
  2. Keeper League Setup on NBA.com
    By DisplacedKnick in forum Sports.ws Fantasy Basketball
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 01:42 PM
  3. Keeper League
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Sports.ws Fantasy Basketball
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 12:24 PM
  4. Keeper League Draft
    By DisplacedKnick in forum Sports.ws Fantasy Basketball
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-18-2006, 11:46 PM
  5. Anyone want to start a 2nd Keeper League?
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Sports.ws Fantasy Basketball
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 12:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •