Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember Ron going off against IU in the tournament.
    The final was 86-61...We all went off that night:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...ttista,%20Judy

Some highlights:

In handing the Hoosiers their worst loss ever in N.C.A.A. tournament play, third-seeded St. John's (27-8) advanced to the South Regional semifinal.

'We want more,'' Ron Artest said. ''When the season is over, we'll celebrate and read the papers. Right now, I just tell my mom to buy them and put them away.''

Someday, Artest will read about a nearly perfect game, a performance so dominant that he admitted later he was hoping it would be a little harder.
    ''Their zone defense was better than our zone offense,'' Indiana Coach Bobby Knight said. ''If we played them five more times, I don't think we would beat them.''

At times, St. John's was playing with such ease -- all five starters scored in double figures -- that it looked as if the Harlem Globetrotters were on the floor. With interior passing that was of National Basketball Association quality, the Red Storm kept the Hoosiers' heads swiveling. St. John's had 21 assists on its 31 field goals, and shot 10 for 20 from the 3-point arc.

Sorry IU fans....Us Johnnies don't have much to talk junk about nowadays, so we gotta live in the past.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post

He's done 3 things. Everyone of them has been a negative. I could have went out there, stood at center court for 5 minutes, and I would've had a better debut than Aaron Afflalo has had thus far.
    Does stating the blatantly obvious about a rookie in his first 5 NBA minutes make yourself feel smarter or something?

I thought he played pretty good defense on Ricky Davis, and got squeezed on a rookie call fighting through a screen. I won't lie that he didn't produce much, but I don't think he played terribly.

Name a rookie who had a less impressive debut?
    Oh, I dunno...how about all the rookies that never got to play in the first game?
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2007 at 09:32 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

He's done 3 things. Everyone of them has been a negative. I could have went out there, stood at center court for 5 minutes, and I would've had a better debut than Aaron Afflalo has had thus far.
    If you can reasonably explain why you give such a damn about him other than he's a Piston, I might consider a possibility other than you being here to troll all things Detroit.

Fantastic.

But he was the Pac-10 Player of the Year, an All-American, a potent scorer who shot a fantastic percentage for a guard and a defensive stopper who had a lot of big games in the tournament while carrying his team to the NCAA Championship.

Maybe he winds up in Europe, maybe he makes in the League. But let's give him half a season...See what happens.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    If you can reasonably explain why you give such a damn about him other than he's a Piston, I might consider a possibility other than you being here to troll all things Detroit.
    He doesn't. He's the textbook definition of a troll.

He has absolutely no credibility when discussing the Pistons. (Then again, I'm not sure how much credibility he has, period, but that's another story all together). If he'd just admit he's got a negative bias to all things Pistons, it'd be a lot easier to take him seriously.

The most stunning part, to me, of the prediction thread is that Tank actually picked the Pistons to make the playoffs.

Shoot, I never expected Afflalo to be in the rotation this year. The fact that he's starting the first game is amazing to me.
    Last edited by shags; 11-01-2007 at 09:38 PM.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Does stating the blatantly obvious about a rookie in his first 5 NBA minutes make yourself feel smarter or something?

I thought he played pretty good defense on Ricky Davis, and got squeezed on a rookie call fighting through a screen. I won't lie that he didn't produce much, but I don't think he played terribly.

Oh, I dunno...how about all the rookies that never got to play in the first game?
    If they didn't play, it wouldn't be considered a debut. Besides, the guys that don't play might not help their teams, but they don't hurt them either. That can't be said about Afflalo thus far.

If they didn't play, it wouldn't be considered a debut. Besides, the guys that don't play might not help their teams, but they don't hurt them either. That can't be said about Afflalo thus far.
    I don't think Afflalo hurt the team at all. He didn't score, but he didn't really get scored on, either.

Mind you, we are talking about a 5-minute time frame....
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2007 at 09:48 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    How is what I'm doing any different then what was done to the Laker fans that were here? You make ridiculously hyperbolic statements, you'll to get called out on them. KStat makes either flat out insulting comments towards the Pacers, or even worse, underhanded comments, and it's a-ok. Why he's so protected here, well I have my theories but I'll keep them to myself.

Afflalo was brought up on a discussion board, so I've discussed him. What's the big deal? If you don't wanna read it, why not either not respond or add me to ignore?
    Last edited by Tank; 11-01-2007 at 09:47 PM.

KStat makes either flat out insulting comments towards the Pacers, or even worse, underhanded comments, and it's a-ok.
    Care to expound on that, or do you just love to pretend like you're fighting an invader?

Why he's so protected here, well I have my theories but I'll keep them to myself.

Afflalo was brought up on a discussion board, so I've discussed him. What's the big deal? If you don't wanna read it, why not either not respond or add me to ignore?
    I don't have you on ignore yet, simply because your posts are pretty humorous to me. Then again, it was that way the last 21861728 screen names you used before you were banned, so you'll probably be on my ignore list again soon. Don't worry.

I've never posted in the random thoughts thread in past years, but it seems like a good place for things that don't deserve their own thread.
    Steve Francis not cracking the rotation in Houston is amazing to me. I've never liked Francis, and always thought he was over hyped. Perhaps a better version of Travis Best, a shoot first p.g. Here's a guy that has gone from a max contract player to a 2 mil. per year player. He's only 30 years old, and can't even break the rotation for the Rockets now. I think he's learned from wearing out his welcome in Orlando, and N.Y. that he isn't the center of the universe any longer. I think he could be a real asset to the right team in the same mold as Best was for the Pacers. A back up in Utah, or N.J. would seem to fit the mold. I'm not sure if I'd want him here. He'd probably still chuck up a lot of shots if he had the chance, and I'm afraid JOB would let him.

Banned

Care to expound on that, or do you just love to pretend like you're fighting an invader?

I don't have you on ignore yet, simply because your posts are pretty humorous to me. Then again, it was that way the last 21861728 screen names you used before you were banned, so you'll probably be on my ignore list again soon. Don't worry.
    I guarantee you I could find at least 100 posts of you either throwing a cheap shot towards the Pacers/Pacer player, or an outright insult. I wont do it right now because I can't say I feel like sorting through 14,000+ posts when I'd rather be watching the games on TNT.

I could find [i]at least[/b] 50 posts from the past year alone of you either throwing a cheap shot towards the Pacers/Pacer player, or an outright insult. I wont do it right now because I can't say I feel like sorting through 14,000+ posts when I'd rather be watching the games on TNT.
    And yet, here you are......

How is what I'm doing any different then what was done to the Laker fans that were here?
    The Laker fans came here to either try to convince us the JO trade was a good thing or to talk about how wonderful the Lakers are.

You make ridiculously hyperbolic statements, you'll to get called out on them.
    Kind of like how some are responding to you when you trash a rookie's first 6 minutes.....

KStat makes either flat out insulting comments towards the Pacers, or even worse, underhanded comments, and it's a-ok.
    It's not a-ok. In fact, he'll be one of the first to tell you that we get on him from time to time. But usually he knows when to quit and toes the line.

Why he's so protected here, well I have my theories but I'll keep them to myself.
    Oh, do please share.

Afflalo was brought up on a discussion board, so I've discussed him. What's the big deal?
    If it were that simple it would not be a big deal, however your comments are not only extremely negative and over the top (most would say flat out absurd), but when anything Piston-related comes up you go out of your way to downplay them (at best) and it's usually to a ridiculous degree. If you do it enough to where that's what you get known for around here, then you have a problem. Not that you have to care about that perception, but on the other hand don't be surprised if you receive negative attention for it.

If you don't wanna read it, why not either not respond or add me to ignore?
    Because I created and continue to head the administration of this website and it's my job to pick out posters who seem to spend the majority of the time trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I've never posted in the random thoughts thread in past years, but it seems like a good place for things that don't deserve their own thread.
    Steve Francis not cracking the rotation in Houston is amazing to me. I've never liked Francis, and always thought he was over hyped. Perhaps a better version of Travis Best, a shoot first p.g. Here's a guy that has gone from a max contract player to a 2 mil. per year player. He's only 30 years old, and can't even break the rotation for the Rockets now. I think he's learned from wearing out his welcome in Orlando, and N.Y. that he isn't the center of the universe any longer. I think he could be a real asset to the right team in the same mold as Best was for the Pacers. A back up in Utah, or N.J. would seem to fit the mold. I'm not sure if I'd want him here. He'd probably still chuck up a lot of shots if he had the chance, and I'm afraid JOB would let him.

His lack of PT has much less to do with his game than it does with his creaky knees.

he was putting up hall of fame numbers to start his career. He just can't move like he used to.

I guarantee you I could find at least 100 posts of you either throwing a cheap shot towards the Pacers/Pacer player, or an outright insult. I wont do it right now because I can't say I feel like sorting through 14,000+ posts when I'd rather be watching the games on TNT.
    You make my point for me. Kstat crosses the line from time to time, and walks a tight rope on other occasions. However, even if I triple your claim to 300 bad posts, you're saying he's a problem a little over 2% of the time.

Banned

It was just a rough estimation. It could be much, much higher. Either way, why would he throw any cheap shot towards the Pacers organization on a Pacers message board? If any fan goes to a rival teams board and consistently insults said team, they're labeled a troll, and rightfully so.

Look, I apologize, I'm honestly not here to argue. I am first and foremost a Pacers fan which is why the things KStat says gets under my skin. If he wants to insult other teams, fine. But how can you come to a Pacers forum and have approx. 75% of the comments you make about the home team be negative, and not be considered a troll? That just blows my mind. He's clearly good friends with somebody high up here, that's all I'm saying.

I appreciate you trying to make peace. The last I'll say on Kstat is this:

1) No, he is not good friends with anyone high up here, though he is an acquaintance to most of us after 4+ years.

2) While I certainly feel that there are many times where either nothing is said about the Pacers by him unless it is something negative, that is not an inherently trollish behavior because while sometimes biting, the comments are not absurd or clearly meant for nothing than to get a rise out of the populace. On the rare occasion that they appear that way (usually the latter, not the former), something is said and/or done.

Look at my comments during the 04 season and 05 season, and look at the seasons after.

I'll buy you a cookie if you (A) find anything that was unfairly negative, or (B) cannot find anything positive I've said about the Pacers.

They were a poor team in 06 and a bad team in 07. I didn't go overboard on anything, and I made a lot of positive comments that got overlooked, mainly because sometimes people focus on the negative things. Oh well, not my problem. The people that know me, know me. I'm rarely apologetic, but I'm hardly trollish.

Some guys like to take shots at me because I'm a Piston fan, and that comes with the territory. Ive been here for 5 seasons now and in this community for 6, and I'm used to it. But I'm also as big a part of PD as many of the long-timers, and I consider PD my default home for basketball discussion.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2007 at 10:36 PM.

streets ahead

My 97 year old great grandmother could've rolled out there in her wheelchair, sat at halfcourt knitting me a sweater while whistling dixie, and she would've had a more impressive debut than Aaron Afflalo has had thus far.
    maybe you missed afflalo's touching rendition of camptown races. i was quite moved.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Look at my comments during the 04 season and 05 season, and look at the seasons after.

I'll buy you a cookie if you (A) find anything that was unfairly negative, or (B) cannot find anything positive I've said about the Pacers.

They were a poor team in 06 and a bad team in 07. I didn't go overboard on anything, and I made a lot of positive comments that got overlooked, mainly because sometimes people focus on the negative things. Oh well, not my problem. The people that know me, know me.
    I forgot to mention that you can also be touchy. Of course you've said (I can't bring myself to say "positive" so I'll go with) non-negative things.

Meanwhile, try to keep in mind that I've sided with you on this issue and multiple times in the past, so you might want to try not challenging me right now.

I know there is the ignore thread option, however is there a way to continue reading the Official 07-08 NBA thread without reading through who is a troll and who isn't? I can decern that for myself, it is the NBA stuff that I need help on.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

His lack of PT has much less to do with his game than it does with his creaky knees.

he was putting up hall of fame numbers to start his career. He just can't move like he used to.

I'll admit that I haven't followed the details on Francis decline that closely. From what I remember reading in past years, his attitude hurt him in Orlando and effected this playing time in N.Y. Then it just seemed that his game declined, I didn't know how much of that was due to his knees.

Kevin Durant needs a nickname. Kevin is boring, Durant doesn't really work, and I'm not using KD. That's retarded. We have like 30 ESPN analysts, 1,500 NBA reporters and 20,000 basketball bloggers out there and you're telling me "Durant" is the best thing we've got so far. For shame, America, for shame.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Kevin Durant needs a nickname. Kevin is boring, Durant doesn't really work, and I'm not using KD. That's retarded. We have like 30 ESPN analysts, 1,500 NBA reporters and 20,000 basketball bloggers out there and you're telling me "Durant" is the best thing we've got so far. For shame, America, for shame.
    I will bet you a night with LG's mom that KD becomes Durant's nickname.

sweabs

K-durade?
    Darth K-Dur?

Both very lame. But I've been thinking about it all game now. Maybe more to come, unless they keep getting worse.
    Last edited by sweabs; 11-02-2007 at 01:00 AM.