Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1110

Thread: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

Amazingly - this is the same thing Isiah was criticized while coach of the pacers - during his first season. (Not working hard)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...int=1&page=all

James Dolan's 'preference' is to keep Isiah Thomas as Knicks coach
    BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, March 27th 2008, 4:00 AM

Franklin II/AP
    Jamal Crawford and the Knicks swat the Heat at the Garden Wednesday night, but the real news comes from ...

Keivom/News
    ... James Dolan, who may actually want to keep Isiah Thomas (below) with Knicks despite his awful reign.

Laham/Getty
    James Dolan will not stand in the way of Donnie Walsh removing Isiah Thomas as the Knicks' head coach, according to a team source, but Dolan has made it clear that his "preference" is to keep Thomas on the sidelines.

As absurd as it may sound, Dolan is not prepared to completely sever ties with Thomas, whose record as an executive and head coach is among the worst in franchise history. The Knicks have not had a winning season with Thomas in charge and he was also was at the center of an embarrassing sexual harassment case that saw a jury rule in favor of a former Madison Square Garden female executive.

"There isn't a basketball executive alive who would keep Isiah as head coach, but Jim is telling whoever he interviews, 'I would prefer to keep Isiah but you do what you have to do,'" said the source, who is close to Dolan, the Garden chairman. "If Isiah isn't the coach, Jim still wants him to stay in the organization in some capacity."

Even one Knicks player said Wednesday that it's time for Thomas to go.

"If they're going to keep him here, you can't keep him as the coach," said the player, before the Knicks held on to beat the woeful Miami Heat, 103-96 in overtime, Wedmesday night. "That won't work. He can't come back and coach the team."

The Knicks have a handshake agreement with Walsh, the former Indiana Pacers CEO, to run the basketball operation. The two sides are working to finalize the deal.

Dolan's presence, however, could complicate negotiations. Dolan's business relationships with Dave Checketts, Jeff Van Gundy, Lenny Wilkens, Marv Albert and Larry Brown did not end well, and Walsh knows all five. If Walsh reaches out to Brown, that could also work against the Knicks.

Brown was fired after one season as head coach, and although he feels betrayed by Thomas, Brown blames Dolan for making the last three months of his Knicks career miserable. Although Dolan knew that he was preparing to fire Brown, he still required Brown to attend workouts for prospective draft picks.

Dolan then refused to pay Brown and used a clause in Brown's contract that made NBA commissioner David Stern an arbitrator in the dispute. Brown felt that Dolan's intention was not only to keep from paying him but to damage his reputation as well.

That Dolan would like to retain Thomas in some capacity may raise red flags in Walsh's camp. Ever since Dolan took a more active role in the day-to-day operations of the club, the Knicks have become a laughingstock NBA franchise.

Wednesday night's victory upped Thomas' record to 43-100 in two seasons as Knicks head coach. His team is regarded as one of the least prepared and worst conditioned in the NBA.

Meanwhile, Thomas has essentially stopped working. He canceled practice on Tuesday and then conducted an 18-minute game-day shoot-around yesterday. He also continued his habit of showing up later than normal for games - which he has done more than a dozen times - blaming it on traffic.Yet when Thomas finally arrived last night, he told reporters, "I love the game. I love being around it."

Thomas' questionable work ethic is rubbing off on his players. While the Heat had eight players going through drills 90 minutes before tip-off, the Knicks' end of the court was vacant. Several players, including Malik Rose, David Lee and Mardy Collins, went through pregame drills, but the contrast was startling.

If Walsh agrees to run the Knicks, he likely will make a coaching change, and the most likely candidates are former Knick Mark Jackson, former Bulls coach Scott Skiles and current Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau.

But first he will have to do something that Dolan, for whatever reason, is reluctant to do: fire Thomas. The Daily News reported last month that the Knicks spoke to former Nets assistant GM Kiki Vandeweghe and that Dolan expressed a desire to keep Thomas on the bench at that time, too. Both Vandeweghe and the Knicks have denied talking.

Discuss this Article
    21 comments so far. Add your comment below!. [Discussion Guidelines]

To post comments, REGISTER or LOG IN

barman Mar 27, 2008 7:35:25 AM Report Offensive Post
    All this negativity when the Knicks are on a roll, winning one in a row. Isiah's decision to rest the team on Tuesday so they would still be fresh in overtime on Wednesday was a stroke of genius.

DLawLovesNYsports Mar 27, 2008 7:45:28 AM Report Offensive Post
    Honestly....Isiah has to go, only to relieve me of reading these "Let's Get Rid of Isiah stories" The New York media has been banging this drum slowly for two years and frankly I have "Isiah Has to Go" fatigue. Yes...the team is horrible. Yes..they are way over the salary cap. Yes.Dolan or Walsh has to fire Isiah. Enough already. I get the point. Move on already.

findwill Mar 27, 2008 8:39:50 AM Report Offensive Post
    THOMAS STARTED ON THE WRONG FOOT BY BRINGING IN MARBURY... and we all know what happened since...Dear Walsh.. In as much as you have to fire THOMAS... please get rid of MARBURY...He is the real CANCER... just look at all the careers the list below.. Minessotta Keith Van Horn Kevin Garnet Larry Brown (Marbury robbed him off Olympic gold and got him fired from the Knicks. Isaiah Thomas....At lease he proved himself as a player... PLEASE DO NOT LET MARBURY RUIN YOUR GARDEN. Bring Back Jeff Van Gundy and Thibo...and if we can get Ewing as a Big Man Coach... Kepp Curry and Zach!

deadknicksfan Mar 27, 2008 9:02:22 AM Report Offensive Post
    Isiah is an idiot and I cant stand to see his face on the sidelines. I cant watch a game as long as he's involved with the team and Dolan is an even bigger idiot for allowing this to go on as long as it has.

JimmyBX182 Mar 27, 2008 9:04:12 AM Report Offensive Post
    Amazing there are still broken condoms like you around blaming Marbury. Marbury is NOT the reason this team S*UCKS. Poor GM work by Layden and Thomas has made the last 6 years in NYC basketball a disaster. Curry is the first to go, followed by Craw-ful, MissQ-Rich, and finally Z-BO. The team is a disaster. You need 1 dominant player and 2 excellent ones to be good in the league. Hopefully the Knicks get an excellent one in this year's draft. It's a shame we lost out on the best years of Marbury because of idiots like Isiah and Brown.

Blu Fog Mar 27, 2008 9:58:04 AM Report Offensive Post
    Wake up folks...............Dolan only wants to keep him because he doesnt want to pay the man for doing even less than he already has done. There will have to be some type of settlement and there will still be money exchanging hands from Dolan to Isiah so why not make the man do some work?

Bobby B Mar 27, 2008 10:24:25 AM Report Offensive Post
    "His team is regarded as one of the least prepared and worst conditioned in the NBA. Meanwhile, Thomas has essentially stopped working. He canceled practice on Tuesday and then conducted an 18-minute game-day shoot-around yesterday. He also continued his habit of showing up later than normal for games - which he has done more than a dozen times" If I'm Walsh, or anybody else, and Dolan says I have to keep Thomas around, even if it's cleaning out the toilet, ain't no way in H-e-l-l, I'll take the job.

michael_knight Mar 27, 2008 11:19:39 AM Report Offensive Post
    First off Filip Bondy is smoking sherm crack for saying that Dolan should punish Isiah by keeping him! Wonder why we can't comment on that article. Secondly Dolan is going to have Knicks fans waiting for him to die Like Cubans were waiting on Castro to die.

Sgrandedog Mar 27, 2008 11:27:10 AM Report Offensive Post
    Seriously, Isiah must have something on Dolan that Dolan wants to keep private. Isiah needs to go. I wish Dolan would go with him too...

tillzen Mar 27, 2008 11:35:08 AM Report Offensive Post
    Isiah's best move as a Knick; photographing Dolan with that sheep.

woman without a team

After watching the Portland/Golden State game last night I'm about to say something I thought I'd never hear myself say: Austin Croshere needs a haircut.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love me some Stuckey.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...elt&position=2

Some great quotes in here. Nothing's safe anymore.

streets ahead

gus johnson: crooner

[yt]Y0bXaVAB2lU[/yt]
    This is the darkest timeline.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure Jacko's a nice guy, and it's nice to see he may be maturing and staying out of trouble, but that doesn't erase the things he was involved in while a member of the Pacers.

Also, he still be a team cancer and hurt on the court chemistry and be great in the community off the court.

I mean, obviously, he's a team leader on the court and all that good stuff...but this award in and of itself doesn't really disprove the on the court stuff so many people in Indy despise him for.

Banned

Hawks beat Philly.

The playoffs are going....going....pretty soon they'll be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I love me some Stuckey.
    7 ppg on .406 shooting, with sub-par defense. What a stud.
    Last edited by Kofi; 04-05-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post

7 ppg on .406 shooting, with sub-par defense. What a stud.
    yeah, the 27 he dropped in minnesota, followed by the 14, 9 and 5 he had last night sure sucked...

Given than his defense has been WAY better than average, you're not doing a great job of trolling me...

But hey, he's only the first guard off the bench for a 54-win team...obviously he's a bust.

FYI...he's shooting %46 over the last 2 months...
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-06-2008 at 12:06 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

KD hit a game-tying three to send the game tonight to OT then another one to send it to 2OT on his way to 37. He's doing just fine...even though he's playing out of position.

I'm sorry, but they need to have a separate hall of fame for people like Dick Vitale. He should not be in Springfield.

Also, not to demean Cathy Rush or Bill Davidson, but shouldn't there be a hall of fame solely for basketball players? I'm on the fence about NBA coaches like Pat Riley. Coach K is a no-go for sure.

This just in: Slick Leonard is still not in the HOF.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
    AP story

"Foot Injury Ends Marion's Season" even though "Marion has been sidelined with back spasms that forced him to sit out 11 of the past 12 games."

I mean, it makes perfect sense that a guy who's missed five games over the past five years come to Miami and get two separate (vague) injuries that force him out for extend periods of time.

Shocking. Shocking!

In completely unrelated news, Miami is two losses away from clinching the worst record in the NBA.

I hate this. Because Miami is indubitably in better shape as a franchise than we are. And, in addition, they are Miami, after all. One of the 5-6 big hot spots for FA. We need that pick a lot more than they do.

streets ahead

who wants a baron davis beard?

courtesy of FearTheBeard.com
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo

Good news is that it looks like DW has told the Knicks to actually try and win games. The Knicks don't appear to be the pushover team that they were before where Zeke appears to be tanking games on purpose. I really hope that the Knicks put up a good fight at home against the Hawks.

That makes the Sixers game on the road that much more important to win.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

So, this is the most important game of the season. I'm pumped.

Mood

Baron and Jack have played like complete ****. So long, playoffs for my two favorite teams.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Baron and Jack have played like complete ****. So long, playoffs for my two favorite teams.
    The Warriors had an outstanding year, but it just won't be quite enough.

Nellie had no choice but to run both Baron and Jackson into the ground because the rest of the team was too young/inexperienced and the bench was garabage.

Croshere and Troy Hudson were expected to be bench help, but they were physical wrecks and injured. Matt Barnes lost his magic from last year. Mickael Pietrus is just way too inconsistent.

This year's team was good, but just not quite deep enough to play the high intensity, up tempo game the way they finished last season. You can't play 82 games a year like that with the lack of depth they had.

And ultimately, Denver has 2 perennial all-stars and DPOY. We don't. They have better talent so it's no surprise they'll win a few more games.

On the bright side, at least we moved up from the #23 pick to #14 in the course of one night. LOL

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    The Warriors had an outstanding year, but it just won't be quite enough.

Nellie had no choice but to run both Baron and Jackson into the ground because the rest of the team was too young/inexperienced and the bench was garabage.

Croshere and Troy Hudson were expected to be bench help, but they were physical wrecks and injured. Matt Barnes lost his magic from last year. Mickael Pietrus is just way too inconsistent.

This year's team was good, but just not quite deep enough to play the high intensity, up tempo game the way they finished last season. You can't play 82 games a year like that with the lack of depth they had.

And ultimately, Denver has 2 perennial all-stars and DPOY. We don't. They have better talent so it's no surprise they'll win a few more games.

On the bright side, at least we moved up from the #23 pick to #14 in the course of one night. LOL
    Was Jason Richardson the difference?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Who'd have figured both the Pacers and the Warriors would finish #9 in their respective conferences?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'd say Marco Belinelli was.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Losing JRich definitely hurt us. I mean, we traded him for a 20 year old rookie who wasn't ready + a $10M traded player exception.

Then when our owner probably said NO to using the exception, well then we essentially trade JRich for nothing (from a this year only perspective).

Hey, we'll have squeezed 49-50 wins out of a roster where Stephen Jackson was the 2nd best player. That's overachieving in my book. They had a great year, just picked the wrong year to have it.

Having JRich would have given us the depth to get in, but the midgetball we'd play (Monta at SG, JRich at SF, Jackson at PF) would have ended up getting beat pretty easily by the Jazz, Lakers or Spurs anyways.

I'd say it was all of these factors rolled into one:

1) Absolutely no consistent bench production.
    2) Absolutely no rookie production. Wright showed he could be somewhat useful this season and Nellie gave him too short a leash. Belinelli wasn't, but Wright could've helped.
    3) 0-6 start.
    4) Nellie counting on his two star players (29 and 30 yrs. old, respectively) to play through injuries while logging 40 MPG every night.

Oh well.

And Dirk just drilled an MVP-type shot.

I'd say it was all of these factors rolled into one:

1) Absolutely no consistent bench production.
    2) Absolutely no rookie production. Wright showed he could be somewhat useful this season and Nellie gave him too short a leash. Belinelli wasn't, but Wright could've helped.
    3) 0-6 start.
    4) Nellie counting on his two star players (29 and 30 yrs. old, respectively) to play through injuries while logging 40 MPG every night.

Oh well.

And Dirk just drilled an MVP-type shot.
    Seriously, they had a really good year.

In fact, they EXCEEDED my wins prediction (I predicted 44-46). A very good, fun to watch season. They just picked the wrong year to have it.