Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 1110

Thread: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

  1. #76
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,823

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    SAS: Name me a team that got worse with Ron Artest on the floor.
    Walton: Indiana, Sacramento, Chicago, St. John's........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  2. #77
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3-0 on my picks so far.

    Tonight's picks:

    Pacers
    Magic
    Raptors
    Bulls
    Hornets
    Mavs
    Spurs
    Nugz
    Went 7-1 last night (damn Bulls) and am now 10-1 overall.

    Tonight's picks:

    Pistons
    Jazz
    Suns

  3. #78
    Member The Hustler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England
    Age
    25
    Posts
    522

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went 7-1 last night (damn Bulls) and am now 10-1 overall.

    Tonight's picks:

    Pistons
    Jazz
    Suns
    Sounds familier ... wait ... thats the same as me ... exactly the same!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

  4. #79
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,958

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Tonight Aaron Afflalo will become the first Piston rookie in 13 years to start in his first pro game...

    Still can't believe how Joe pulled this kid out of nowhere. I had at least 10 guys rated above him when the Pistons were on the clock at #27.

    Yeah, I know he was the Pac-10 MVP, but he didn't seem like he had a pro game at all.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2007 at 10:40 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  5. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I know he was the Pac-10 MVP, but he didn't seem like he had a pro game at all.
    You say that like he's already proven something. Which of course he has not.

    And you people talk about Laker fans....
    Last edited by Tank; 11-01-2007 at 11:08 AM.

  6. #81
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,958

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You say that like he's already proven something. Which of course he has not.
    He's starting his first pro game, meaning he has proven something. The Pistons do not start rookies, ever.

    He could come out and shoot 1-10. The fact remains that his team and his coach thought enough of him to start him, despite the fact he's never played in an NBA game.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact remains that his team and his coach thought enough of him to start him, despite the fact he's never played in an NBA game.
    Yeah, let's pretend 2 guys who would be starting ahead of him aren't out with injuries. Afflalo is starting out of necessity, not choice.

  8. #83
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,958

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, let's pretend 2 guys who would be starting ahead of him aren't out with injuries. Afflalo is starting out of necessity, not choice.
    I never pretended anything.

    Jarvis Hayes and Flip Murray are still on the roster. Most people who follow the team would assume either of them would be starting tonight.

    It's very much a choice on the part of Flip Saunders to start Afflalo.

    I'm also not so sure Stuckey would be starting ahead of Afflalo either. He's the primary backup point.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2007 at 12:12 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  9. #84
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SAS: Name me a team that got worse with Ron Artest on the floor.
    Walton: Indiana, Sacramento, Chicago, St. John's........
    Dude took us to the Elite 8...a place we hadn't been since Mully was winning Player of the Year Awards. Dude was the Beast of the Big East.

  10. #85
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tonight Aaron Afflalo will become the first Piston rookie in 13 years to start in his first pro game...

    Still can't believe how Joe pulled this kid out of nowhere. I had at least 10 guys rated above him when the Pistons were on the clock at #27.

    Yeah, I know he was the Pac-10 MVP, but he didn't seem like he had a pro game at all.
    He's gonna be a good pro. Him and Alando Tucker are the two rookie late picks that the whole world is sleeping on. Bout to come with some alarm clocks for these fools. Savvy pick by Dumars.

    I'm not sure why GMs and the media still fail to recognize that dominance in the NCAA is often a good signal that a player will be good in the pros.

  11. #86

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Ricky Davis on Ricky Davis, when asked if perhaps he would compare himself to Latrell Sprewell in his prime:

    I think I can shoot a little better than Sprewell and get to the basket as well as Sprewell... Think of me as a more powerful Scottie Pippen



    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/co...heat_1101.html

  12. #87
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ricky Davis on Ricky Davis, when asked if perhaps he would compare himself to Latrell Sprewell in his prime:

    I think I can shoot a little better than Sprewell and get to the basket as well as Sprewell... Think of me as a more powerful Scottie Pippen



    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/co...heat_1101.html
    they do have one thing in common: jerry sloan wanted to fatally beat each of them with a tire iron.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  13. #88
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,983

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Well... I hope for Ricky's sake that he won't have to pay as much alimony as Pippen
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  14. #89
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Toronto media keeps talking about the need for the Raptors to get a "tough-minded, physical presence, willing to do the dirty work underneath the net AND GRAB REBOUNDS."

    I'm willing to bet that Colangelo calls the Pacers about Jeff Foster.

  15. #90
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    TNT has their herky-jerky, whiplash inducing camerawork in effect for this game. Not sure why but about every 5th or 6th TNT game there is wierd camerawork. It is zoomed in too much so that means the camera has to shift positions too often and it makes me feel car sick

  16. #91
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SAS: Name me a team that got worse with Ron Artest on the floor.
    Walton: Indiana, Sacramento, Chicago, St. John's........
    Yeesh, how can both guys be totally wrong at the same time. Indy got a lot better thanks to that Chicago deal and it didn't seem to bump the Bulls up to lose Ron. OTOH the Kings have done blah since Ron got there.

    He is who we thought he is, all over the place both good and bad. But MR, why even force yourself to stomach the Plato/Socrates caliber discussions that are the Screaming Hyperboles?



    Buck, I assume they have several directors, I wonder if the camera work is tied to that. Check to see if it's a name like Roger Bay or something.

  17. #92
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Man, sweet job by Afflalo.

  18. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Afflalo may have had the least impressive debut I've ever seen from a rookie. I'm not sure he's gonna see the floor again tonight with the way he looked in his brief time out there.

    He's a nice guy, great college player, I just can't see his game translating to the NBA at all.

  19. #94
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,958

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Afflalo may have had the least impressive debut I've ever seen from a rookie.
    This after watching him play half of one quarter...

    ...so what else do your brilliant powers of observation tell you? I hear the sky is blue during the day....
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2007 at 08:04 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #95
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,823

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude took us to the Elite 8...a place we hadn't been since Mully was winning Player of the Year Awards. Dude was the Beast of the Big East.
    I remember Ron going off against IU in the tournament.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeesh, how can both guys be totally wrong at the same time. Indy got a lot better thanks to that Chicago deal and it didn't seem to bump the Bulls up to lose Ron. OTOH the Kings have done blah since Ron got there.

    He is who we thought he is, all over the place both good and bad. But MR, why even force yourself to stomach the Plato/Socrates caliber discussions that are the Screaming Hyperboles?
    I had it on in the background with the sound low, but somehow they managed to come through loud and clear.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  21. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This after watching him play half of one quarter...

    ...so what else do your brilliant powers of observation tell you? I hear the sky is blue during the day....
    Pretty much, yeah. After all, there's a reason he's only played 5 minutes. 1 shot attempt, blocked. 2 fouls. Anyone here could've done that.

  22. #97
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty much, yeah. After all, there's a reason he's only played 5 minutes. 1 shot attempt, blocked. 2 fouls. Anyone here could've done that.
    Yeah...He should just take the free jersey, call it a career and head home. Most rookies in NBA history have had stellar debuts and dominated from the absolute get-go. Never are they just shook to be on the court, nervous by the fans and generally in awe of Top 10 players of all time like Shaq on the other team.

    This guy's clearly a bum. Sorry KStat...but obvious that Joe picked yall a lemon.

  23. #98
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,958

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah...He should just take the free jersey, call it a career and head home. Most rookies in NBA history have had stellar debuts and dominated from the absolute get-go. Never are they just shook to be on the court, nervous by the fans and generally in awe of Top 10 players of all time like Shaq on the other team.

    This guy's clearly a bum. Sorry KStat...but obvious that Joe picked yall a lemon.


    I mean, one could assume that Flip held Afflalo out for the half so he could play his game in the 3rd quarter without worrying about his foul count, but what do I know....

    I think it's an accomplishment for him to simply start this game, especially on this team, which distrusts rookies. I really don't care what his numbers are tonight.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2007 at 08:25 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  24. #99
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah...He should just take the free jersey, call it a career and head home. Most rookies in NBA history have had stellar debuts and dominated from the absolute get-go. Never are they just shook to be on the court, nervous by the fans and generally in awe of Top 10 players of all time like Shaq on the other team.

    This guy's clearly a bum. Sorry KStat...but obvious that Joe picked yall a lemon.
    You had me at "free jersey."

  25. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah...He should just take the free jersey, call it a career and head home. Most rookies in NBA history have had stellar debuts and dominated from the absolute get-go. Never are they just shook to be on the court, nervous by the fans and generally in awe of Top 10 players of all time like Shaq on the other team.

    This guy's clearly a bum. Sorry KStat...but obvious that Joe picked yall a lemon.
    Name a rookie who had a less impressive debut?

    He's done 3 things. Everyone of them has been a negative. I could have went out there, stood at center court for 5 minutes, and I would've had a better debut than Aaron Afflalo has had thus far.

    My 97 year old great grandmother could've rolled out there in her wheelchair, sat at halfcourt knitting me a sweater while whistling dixie, and she would've had a more impressive debut than Aaron Afflalo has had thus far.

    Hopefully he has a better second half.
    Last edited by Tank; 11-01-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Some not-so-random thoughts on the Pacers 06/07 Season
    By NorCal_Pacerfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 10:46 PM
  2. OTHER Random Thoughts
    By Harmonica in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 05:34 PM
  3. My Random Thoughts
    By Evan_The_Dude in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 03:43 PM
  4. Random thoughts
    By ABADays in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 12:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •