Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season

BTW, I always Knew Amir was a freak, but holy crap, Samb is a beast. He may play his way out of Ft. Wayne after alll...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Dream Big

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That said, the fact Garrison didn't even ATTEMPT to get out of the way of that ball sailing into row 3 was absurd. He could have easily avoided it, and should definitely be fined for standing there and body-blocking it back in play for a basket.
    Watch the replay, he didn't see it coming.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Has anybody else noticed the Pacers keep getting moved down in the 2008 draft boards? For some reason the more we keep losing, the lower we drop in the draft. I saw on NBAdraft.net today we are chosen to pick 14th! 3-6 record and we're out of the lottery already? At this rate the Sonics will be picking 29th or 30th next year.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I'd love to hurt Ronnie Garrison right now...

good assist, buddy. Way to phyically assist the lakers in winning the game.
    11/19

woman without a team

Just shoot me now and get it over with.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baske...111707.article

Bulls coach Scott Skiles was anticipating a second starting lineup change in as many games Saturday for his 1-6 team.

Skiles, though, hadn’t planned for the absence of Luol Deng, whose suddenly sore back likely will keep him out Saturday night when the Bulls face the Los Angeles Clippers.

Deng did not practice Friday and sat out of the team’s morning shootaround.

‘‘At Phoenix [Thursday], as the game went on, it just kept getting real tight,’’ Deng said Saturday. ‘‘I don’t know which play or how it happened. I really have no idea. Then, after the game, I was in pain. I couldn’t even walk. I kept thinking that it would go away, but it’s the worst.’’

Deng, one of only two Bulls to play all 82 games last season, said he would decide if he could go shortly before tipoff. But given that he winced when he tried to get up from sitting, it appears he will not be able to play tonight.

‘‘It doesn’t look good,’’ Deng said. ‘‘I want to play so bad. We want to turn this thing around, but I have to do what I have to do to get better.’’

Skiles said he was planning on starting Tyrus Thomas in Deng’s starting spot at forward. Andres Nocioni, who Skiles inserted in the starting five for Thomas at Phoenix, was also in the starting lineup Saturday.
    Any way I can blame this on the chick who smashed into my car when I was driving home Thursday night?

streets ahead

a few random thoughts from the wizards/blazers i went to see last night...
    • no hibatchi, still won by 20
    • whatever won brandon roy the ROTY last season, he didn't bring it to DC... he was underwhelming. so was LA.
    • the only dominant player for the blazers last night? jarrett jack. without question the offense ran much better with him on the floor compared to steve blake. outlaw had a solid first half but disappeared. i'll also go on record as saying they played better with przybilla in there
    • there was a raef sighting!!!
    • i think the reports of sergio being more favored by the blazers staff are false. nate actually played taurean green at the point before sergio got in there
    • i was right about nick young... he is definitely raw but he's got a sweet stroke. last night he fouled like david harrison but i think that is just the normal rookie adjustment to the speed of the game. i guess time will tell...
    • i haven't watched a lot of the blazers or the wizards for that matter this year, but either the blazers offense was really that bad or i actually watched a significantly improved wizards defense. they started pressing in the 3rd and forced portland into three straight turnovers before they got set into their halfcourt. the rest of the game was okay. andray blatche had a dominant defensive night. even jamison had a solid defensive game. there were certainly plenty of lapses but a suppose a team like this needs to baby-step its way into playing D.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 11-18-2007 at 11:42 AM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Warriors season begins...

Right now. FINALLY.

Anyone watching game 7 between the Sixers and Raptors from 2001 - great game.

It's on NBATV.

The Celts vs Magic, should be a good one - I'm going to miss almost all of it though
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-18-2007 at 05:32 PM.

sweabs

Turned out to be a good one, too, UB. Right down to the wire. I was happy to see the Magic pull that one out.

Darn it I missed the whole game except the first 8 minutes. Sounded like a good game.

My question is whether the Magic are for real. I know Howard is turning into a beast but for whatever reason the Magic have a history of starting the season very strong and fading later.

Don't ask me. I only saw them once this year and they looked like a lottery team.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Bad time to get a T...

I find myself rooting for the Pistons...weird...

Sheed's been baited by every ref on this trip. I'm proud he only has one tech this season.

sweabs

Sheed really needs to learn how to shut up in the closing minutes of games. It's just such a stupid decision on his part. And you'd think Dave Cowens would keep his mouth shut as well.

That sequence single handedly eliminated any chance of the Pistons coming back.

Sheed fouled Miller. It was plain and simple. Just accept it and move on. You can't take a technical in a situation like that.

Beno Udrih...wow. Didn't expect that kind of a performance from him against Chauncey (yes, I know Chauncey is hurt).

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    Sheed really needs to learn how to shut up in the closing minutes of games.
    ...exactly what did sheed say? He jogged back to the bench and he got T'd up. He didn't say anything.

Sheed fouled Miller. It was plain and simple. Just accept it and move on. You can't take a technical in a situation like that.
    The technical was coming regardless of what sheed did.

Beno Udrih...wow. Didn't expect that kind of a performance from him against Chauncey (yes, I know Chauncey is hurt).
    He scored most of his points against our 3rd string PG Flip Murray, who I hope never sees the light of day again.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-19-2007 at 12:15 AM.

sweabs

Yep, Flip hasn't exactly looked good so far this season. I definitely saw Beno put up some significant points against Chauncey though which surprised me.

From the replays I saw, Sheed started walking away and was saying something. Once the ref responded, he took his hand and gave it that "you're full of it" motion. No need to do that...why even take the chance? It might be because he can get away with that type of thing every now and then as well. In that regard, the refs have to remain consistent. Sheed is one of those guys, where sometimes the refs let him go on, and on, and ON without giving him anything. And other times, the refs are quick to slap him with a T for something that was considered harmless by the ref from the previous night.

On the replay I saw, I could see Tayshaun in the background with this worried look as Sheed said something. And as soon as the T was handed down, Tay's face just went to "dear Lord..."

Dave Cowens was the worst in all of this. His was completely stupid...and for a ref to actually take notice of what an assistant says and T him up is saying a lot.

The fact that he was laughing about it on the bench is just not sending the right message to players either.

Dave Cowens wasn't arguing the foul, he was arguing the technical. He said it was a BS technical, and he got Td up for it. At that point in the game, I had no problem with him standing up for his player.

sweabs

I know he wasn't arguing the foul. But let Flip talk to the refs about it. Cooler heads just have to prevail in that circumstance.

It was his snide smirks and the fact he was laughing about it afterwards.

Yeah...you can't justify getting a T at that time, no matter how much the entire situation smelled of bs.

Magic over the Cs was impressive. They were up by 20 for a while. I imagine most of the votes will go KG's way if they go to a Boston player, but Paul Pierce may have an MVP campaign of his own going. Even in a loss he was the most impressive player on the court. Also...Dwight Howard is headed for Springfield. Dude is a monster.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Yeah...you can't justify getting a T at that time, no matter how much the entire situation smelled of bs.
    Exactly, because most technical fouls are usually bogus anyway. Just try to minimize the damage and move on.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I really don't want to bring this up because it makes me feel like a sports reporter but it's the 3 year anniversary (if you could call it that).
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    I really don't want to bring this up because it makes me feel like a sports reporter but it's the 3 year anniversary (if you could call it that).
    i had forgotten about it till you mentioned it

Last edited by bellisimo; 11-19-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sheed has earned every technical he ever gets for the rest of his career. If he wasn't such a loudmouth, arrogant showboat all the time, he wouldn't have the reputation he has and wouldn't be getting "baited" by the refs.