Granger or Daniels
Posted by Mike Wells

Is preseason over yet? I’m sure all of you are ready for the regular season to start.

I was talking to an Eastern Conference official recently and he asked me why Marquis Daniels isn’t in the starting lineup.

I responded, “Who would he start over?”

He said Danny Granger because he gives the Pacers two playmakers on the court at the same time (Jamaal Tinsley is the other).

While there could be an argument for Daniels to start, especially after the way Granger looked through the first six preseason games, I like him off the bench.

Daniels’ versatility gives coach Jim O’Brien options on how he can use him off the bench. He can bring him in at point guard, shooting guard or small forward. Daniels will also be the Pacers primary playmaker when Tinsley goes to the bench.

The starting group of Granger, Tinsley, Jermaine O’Neal, Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy looked good in the little amount of time they played together. The Pacers have three players – Granger, Dunleavy and Murphy – that shoot 3-pointers, a distributor in Tinsley and O’Neal scoring down low.

Even though Daniels may not start, you should expect to see him on the court late in games.