Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Preseason Game 6 Post-Game Thread: Pacers lose to Bulls

Sports Logo

Default Official Preseason Game 6 Post-Game Thread: Pacers lose to Bulls

Well....since no one has created one...I figure I would.

Looks like we were down all the way through the game. But this loss....just like the game against the TWolves, this game highlights a key weakness in how this team is made up......the only way that we seem to be able to click "on all 4 wheels" and actually play at a competitive level is if all of our key players ( over the last 2 games it was JONeal....last season it was Marquis ) are healthy.

Comments anyone?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Default Re: Official Preseason Game 6 Post-Game Thread: Pacers lose to Bulls

Schedule loss. Why in the world do we have to play a preseason schedule with back to backs and 3 games in 4 nights and 4 games in 6 nights. With the injuries and coming off a double OT the night before - this game was easy to call. I expected a loss. I hope the team gets tomorrow off

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Schedule loss. Why in the world do we have to play a preseason schedule with back to backs and 3 games in 4 nights and 4 games in 6 nights. With the injuries and coming off a double OT the night before - this game was easy to call. I expected a loss. I hope the team gets tomorrow off
    I'm surprised that Foster was even able to move after playing 46+ minutes yesterday night.

Given that the regular season starts in a week....unless JO'B is still tinkering with the roster, I wouldn't mind resting JONeal and minimizing the # of minutes that Foster, Tinsley and Marquis play. I could care less if we win anymore preseason games. I would much rather have our "key players" rested as much as possible before we start playing for real.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Buck, too simple to just chalk off to the schedule. First it's just up the road rather than a long trip, and second even with OT you aren't talking about huge minutes for too many guys. Jeff actually put up respectable numbers in fact and he would be the guy to suffer more than anyone due to the 48 and being a big.

Also Chicago was in Toronto on Friday, a longer trip than Indy had to this game. No OT but still. This is not normally a "schedule loss" by my definition. That implies the other team gets a big advantage, and other than being at home and being the Bulls I don't see it. Both teams traveled and the Bulls traveled more. You can't just write off all road games as auto losses. Sure if the other team has a day or two off while on a homestand and your going from PHX to SEA or PHI to MIA then you see the big disadvantage.

Also disturbing is that some numbers just keep on looking the same, say perhaps FG%. And the defense just isn't there. Granger flat-out stinks at the offensive end right now.

Oh, and just like last year (and really the last few) this team must have JO going to be consistantly competitive (vs flash in the pan hot for a few days).

I know my "angle" is that it wasn't really Rick's fault and that the team is still stuck with a lot of the same issues they had last year, thus the low expectations. But I'm trying to sincerely look for proof that this isn't true, something to tie some hope to.

Outside of maybe having the core guys get in done for a few weeks when they are all healthy, I still haven't seen the main problems fixed. FG% - Defense (esp. perimeter) - Trouble without JO.

Cable, I wouldn't play JO the rest of the way either given some of the play we've seen without him. They can't afford to not have him in regular season games, and Ike and David still badly need the work.

This was the first game of preseason where they didn't really outrebound the opponent. Their 20% O-reb vs Missed FG rate is well below the mid-30s they had been running. The did defend the glass well, keeping Chicago and Big Ben to 23% O-reb too, so they didn't really lose in rebounding, they just didn't win like they had been.

The primary good news is that Shawne got on track with what he ended last season doing. With the legal trouble, summer ball and a little of his early play I was getting concerned about him taking a step back. The numbers he put up tonight are exactly why you'd expect him to fit the JOB system. If they can't get it from Rush (let's see him when he's healthy before writing him off of course), it would be great if Shawne could be that big punch off the bench that can do it all and hit plenty of 3s.

Of course as with everything I need to see Shawne show up like this a couple more times in the next 3 games.

One final add-on with Shawne, his shot chart tonight shows great shooting from the left, poor shooting from the right. Never noticed this before but then I don't always look at the shot charts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even though we lost, it was still a lot of fun to finally see the new team in person. A couple things.

Jamaal played poorly today, but from the 30 second chat I had with him, he is clearly extremely happy to be free from Rick (not that we didn't know that before). I said it was great to see him having fun out there again, and that I thought it was going to be a fun year. He was all smiles and said he was glad people were noticing. Then I said now we just have to make sure those stands are filled up again, and that was clearly something that bothered him before. He wholeheartedly agreed. Jeff also told me he was completely exhausted from the night before, but that it had been a lot of fun.

It was an honor to get to meet Mark Boyle and shake his hand before the game.

Basketball wise, Danny really did not look good. But the fact that he ended up with 17 encourages me. The mark of a great scorer is a guy that can put up points despite shooting the ball poorly. Even though it is preseason, the Bulls defense looked to be in midseason form. It was tough to score on them tonight.

Our defense was very sloppy especially in the first half. This whole team has issues with rotation. They are not in sync at all defensively. Waaay too many times did I see 2 guys rotate to the same person to leave a guy wide open under the basket. Ike and Shawne were the main culprits, but nobody was good defensively tonight. Except for Jeff, but Jeff is always good defensively.

Shawne really lit it up tonight though, I hope we find minutes for him this year. I think we will find his way on the court somehow, despite the fact that he seems to be the odd man out right now. If Danny doesn't pick up his game (which I'm confident he will) then Shawne will really see the court plenty.

I'm not worried at all that Danny will pick it up in regular season, and will become the player we want him to be.

What I don't understand is why you pick on him constantly Seth. Tinsley and Marquis had bad games too but why only single Danny out?
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Block of the night:George Muresan
    Quote Originally Posted by broadband.nba.com
    "The Pacers' George Muresan rejects Kirk Hinrich's attempt off the drive to the basket on Saturday."

SEth, one thing to keep in mind for the Pacers to be successful this season they are going to have to be an Effort Team - and by that I mean they are going to have to play with a lot of effort - on most nights more effort than the opponent and they are going to have to play like a team - more so than their opponents.

There will be some nights this season where the effort just won't be there to the degree it needs to be and most of the time it will be because of the schedule. The schedule is a real opponent in the NBA -we can blow that off and say that is just an excuse - but it isn't especially for a team like the pacers and the style they are trying to play - and I'm not even talking about a running style - I'm just talking about a high energy style both on offense and defense.

Whenever the schedule comes out in August, the first thing I look for is to see how the games are spread out - where are they bunched together and when are the 2 or 3 western road trips - to me that determines when the biggest struggles will occur.

Obviously I didn't see the game last night - but just looking at the box score, it appears Shawne had a really good game - 5 assists - I would like to know the circumstances of those. - Did anyone see the game

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    I'm not worried at all that Danny will pick it up in regular season, and will become the player we want him to be.

What I don't understand is why you pick on him constantly Seth. Tinsley and Marquis had bad games too but why only single Danny out?
    Because Danny hasn't yet had a good game.

And it's hardly "picking on." Seth's on record as saying Danny is the next Scottie Pippen.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Schedule loss. Why in the world do we have to play a preseason schedule with back to backs and 3 games in 4 nights and 4 games in 6 nights.
    Um, maybe because the purpose of preseason is to get you ready for the regular season. Last time I checked 3 in 4, 4 in 6, and 5 in 7 do happen in the regular season.

As for the topic at hand, yes, health will be the most important factor this season. We just don't have the depth anymore to get by without our key guys.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

Schedule loss.
    Show of hands if you knew this was going to be the first thing out of UB's mouth.

Show of hands if you agree with the first thing out of UB's mouth.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Well then the Bulls must be super human.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Well then the Bulls must be super human.
    For the past couple of seasons the Bulls play with Maximum effort more often than any other team. But even the Bulls have a couple of duds every year and get blown out because the schedule zaps their energy

Yup.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is the first preseason game I've actually had the chance to watch (I listened to the one against Memphis) and the thing that really stood out was how poor the PG play was for the Pacers. This includes Tinsley, Diener, Owens, and Quis (who initiated the offense a lot once they crossed mid-court).

The Bulls deserve a lot of credit for that but the Pacers guards couldn't push the tempo, they struggled with their ball-handling, and they couldn't initiate the half-court offense. Those four players turned the ball over 13 times and only dished out 11 assists combined. I think some of that can also be attributed to the back-to-back games but they were still terrible.

One positive from the game was that they forced the Bulls into a lot of turnovers on the defensive end and they got a lot of good open shots on offense but just couldn't knock them down.

The Preseason is about learning and I think this game gave the team a lot to learn from.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obviously I didn't see the game last night - but just looking at the box score, it appears Shawne had a really good game - 5 assists - I would like to know the circumstances of those. - Did anyone see the game
    Shawne played smart basketball. Always made the extra pass if it was there, I would say probably 3 of his assists were to somebody who hit a 3. He actually should have had 1 or 2 more. Dunleavy and Quis both missed layups when the score was 85 to 78, and I believe one of those if not both were directly from Shawne.

I had recorded the game, so I watched it a second time today to get a different look. I was sitting sort of in a corner, so some things are hard to see from that angle. Jeff was definitley noticeably exhausted. From watching the game a second time, I have to agree with UB about this being a schedule loss. I'm pretty proud of our guys for even being in this one actually. Even though the Bulls were also on a back to back, our guys were clearly more tired after having to play a double overtime game. We played like a team missing its go to scorer last night. I'm excited to see more of these guys with Jermaine in there.
    Last edited by Isaac; 10-21-2007 at 07:43 PM.

If Shawne can stop with the silly turnovers, I am a big fan of him playing ahead of Ike. And in turn, if he deserves to be in that role, we need to trade Ike Diogu under the sell of: He just doesn't fit with what we're doing. Which is at least half-true. I think he'd thrive as the 4th best starter on a team when used exclusively as a low-post threat (and having a better player at the 1, 2, and 3) in a half-court offense. If we gave him to a team where he fits for a low to mid first-rounder I'd be happy. I hope he makes me eat those words, but I kind of doubt it. Not with Shawne and JO here.

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

If Shawne can stop with the silly turnovers, I am a big fan of him playing ahead of Ike. And in turn, if he deserves to be in that role, we need to trade Ike Diogu under the sell of: He just doesn't fit with what we're doing. Which is at least half-true. I think he'd thrive as the 4th best starter on a team when used exclusively as a low-post threat (and having a better player at the 1, 2, and 3) in a half-court offense. If we gave him to a team where he fits for a low to mid first-rounder I'd be happy. I hope he makes me eat those words, but I kind of doubt it. Not with Shawne and JO here.
    I think Shawne has a very bright future here, and especially playing for O'Brien, provided he can avoid the bad decisions he made last month. Funny, I kind of forgot about him being in the rotation after the legal problems, but he's got as much potential as anyone on the roster.

I don't see him in direct competition with Diogu, though. I know he's a forward, but to me his skill set leans more toward the 2 than to the 4. I think Shawne can be a heck of a perimeter player (what a smooth shot!), and I think Diogu still has a lot more we haven't yet seen in the post.

Just my two cents.

Okay, I think we need to define what a "schedule loss" is. I think of it as a game that you would have won, you should have won, if only it hadn't been for all the external factors that travel and exhaustion cause.

So then, my question is, are all of you saying we should definitely beat the Bulls in Chicago without Jermaine, as long as it wasn't the 3rd game in 4 nights AND we didn't play a double OT game the night before?

Of course, my definition of "schedule loss" might be too broad. I guess you could argue that "we were scheduled to play in Chicago, so that's a schedule loss".
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

If shawne keeps playing like that, he is more likely to challenge for granger's spot than diogu. At least based on how granger has been playing, but its still early.

I don't really see the diogu shawne connection, they have different skill sets. Diogu is our low post presence when Jermaine is out of the game, Harrison could also possibly challenge for that spot.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Banned

At this point, I'd be ok with shipping Granger out for someone like Jarrett Jack. It's not that I don't like him, it's just we have more pressing needs right now.

Trade Williams, not Granger!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

It could be that Williams and Granger are the future swing men on this team. The only question is, can either play SG? I think the answer to that question is YES if we can acquire a really good starting PG who can defend the small quick guys. Speed is going to burn us otherwise.

If one has to be dealt, I say do nothing this year and see how it plays out. Make a deal before one of them needs to be resigned.