Thread: Jim Gaffigan on bacon

Default Jim Gaffigan on bacon

Dude is the best comedian in the game right now.

Sincerely,
    Water Chestnut III

[yt]9P6nwa0dOrk[/yt]

streets ahead

Default Re: Jim Gaffigan on bacon

please no. just stop.

i grant you he's better than dane cook or larry the cable guy, et al. but the guy is a total douchebag and certainly not the best out there. i opened for him a few years back and the guy was a complete tool.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    please no. just stop.

i grant you he's better than dane cook or larry the cable guy, et al. but the guy is a total douchebag and certainly not the best out there. i opened for him a few years back and the guy was a complete tool.
    Who cares. Still funny. Aren't comedians supposed to be a$$holes? And I certainly can't fault a dude for being a d*** to you of all people.

And yes it was hyperbole. Of the regularly active folk, I'll take David Cross, Lewis Black, Louis CK, Jermaine and Bret, and maybe Doug Stanhope or Daniel Tosh over him just off the top of my head. Also, of course, the late, great Mitch Hedberg.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Who cares. Still funny. Aren't comedians supposed to be a$$holes? And I certainly can't fault a dude for being a d*** to you of all people.
    to be perfectly honest he was fine to me. it was the audience/event organizers. we were performing at a smallish school in the midwest. as most small-time venues ask of the opening acts, i was asked to pick him up from the airport. the entire drive back he talked very little to me and was basically on the phone the entire time with a variety of people. so not friendly, whatever, i can deal with that. fast forward to the actual performance - i was doing a fairly short set because its a college campus on a friday night and i'm not famous. so i was there as a warmup more or less and did 25 minutes. the crowd wasn't totally with me which is to be expected of intoxicated college students for a no name opener. anyway so after i get offstage, jim is pissy because he is convinced someone in the audience has a video camera (what it was the school's PR staff taking pictures not video) and i thought it was odd he was so worked up by it. anyway, i went to the back of the theater to watch his set. now as i said the crowd was talkative, but not tremendously disruptive (especially for a guy that supposedly came out of the NYC club scene). jim did 20 minutes and then without warning said "thats it for me. goodnight." and walked off stage. the audience thought he was kidding around because he had demonstrated no visible signs that whatever was going on (the talking, some random girl shouting "hot pocket") was bothering him at all. then when he didn't come back out i went back to the green room where jim was throwing **** around and screaming "I'm too big for this ****ing place. This **** is ridiculous. I'm too big to put up with this ****ing ****." He demanded to leave and the guy running the show (the student activity director) drove him back to his hotel. so that leaves me and the emcee to deal with approximately 200 inebriated college students who just got a 20min show.

now here's the kicker: gaffigan has written into his contract that if he feels threatened by a crowd that as long as he does at least 20 minutes he can get the full payment for the 75 minute show (which was somewhere in the $8-10k range). the crowd was hardly threatening and doesn't even come close to the **** you have to deal with in a comedy club. if you've ever seen jerry seinfeld's documentary "comedian" you'll see heckling far worse than what was going on at this show. i was able to do 25 minutes and nobody knows me and i'm not getting paid. gaffigan a pro can't make it more than 20? its absurd. i later found out that he also tried to charge the school for 30 minutes of phone calls he made from his hotel room (yes, longer than he was on stage). i don't know how that was resolved.

most standup comedians (at least if they're any good) are definitely assholish but that is basically confined to non-comedians. some of the classics like bob newhart might be different but there is something about being a comedian (being good at it at least) that requires a major barrier between them and the audience. there is a ton of discussion mostly about larry the cable guy and dane cook (a great article i'll have to look for that compared dane cook and the death of mitch hedberg that was fantastic possibly from Slate or the LA Times).

but thats so thats why he's a douchebag.

And yes it was hyperbole. Of the regularly active folk, I'll take David Cross, Lewis Black, Louis CK, Jermaine and Bret, and maybe Doug Stanhope or Daniel Tosh over him just off the top of my head. Also, of course, the late, great Mitch Hedberg.
    let me add to the list marc maron and patton oswalt

still standup comedy related... how many have seen larry the cable guy's standup pre-larry the cable guy? larry is actually a guy named dan whitney who was private-school educated in nebraska. here are two videos pre-GITRDONE for your (lack of) enjoyment

[yt]VROn7ZvVoW8[/yt]

and

[yt]tCJ7ESnjvHk[/yt]
    This is the darkest timeline.

Wow, he was REALLY bad before LTCG

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Best Comedian Still Alive = Chris Rock
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Jim Gaffigan is hilarious but funniest no. I do laugh at him everytime I see him. I like the clip and post more if you have them

May as well start off with the instant classic Hot Pocket bit.

[yt]jFFTwnYXI20[/yt]

Here's his take on the holidays.

"Alright...we'll hide 'em."

[yt]dgb5-HWZXZo [/yt]

And this one's about atc's last birthday...

[yt]HAKWosRuA4U[/yt]

sweabs

Girlfriend got me tickets to see him in Toronto on January 12. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    Girlfriend got me tickets to see him in Toronto on January 12. Looking forward to it!
    I saw him in Vegas last month at the Palms. He was pretty hilarious. I had a chance to go meet him after the show, but I declined. I mean, what do you say that you don't sound like a dork?

Too bad about your experience with him, ATC.

It'll be a good show, rcarey.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?