Thread: Pacers really need help...with Marketing and Advertising

Default Pacers really need help...with Marketing and Advertising

If the Pacers really want to fill the seats and attract new fans, they should seriously consider overhauling their marketing and advertising departments. I know that many have echoed similar sentiments, but something recently aggravated me enough to post again after a bit of a hiatus.

I subscribe to Pacers Insider as many PDer's probably do. In my inbox, which I checked tonight, as I do every night, I see the October 16 issue of Pacers Insider. One of the announcements in the newsletter is that several members of the Pacers, Pacemates, and Boomer/Bowser will be appearing at area Marsh stores. I'm hopeful that by following the enclosed link, I'll be able to get more info about appearance dates and times, and whom will be appearing at the various stores. Indeed, all of this info was provided in the linked PDF file, but the time and date of the appearance was 4-5 PM on October 16! That is, the event occurred the day the e-mail was sent, and had already occurred by the time most recipients probably checked their e-mail messages!

If the goal of marketing and advertising is to increase visibility of the Pacers in the community in hopes of driving up ticket sales of those "undecideds" or fence sitters, or even among those people that could become fans, it would make sense to promote such events well in advance. Unfortunately, they fall short again of seemingly the simplest of details: promoting something in advance! Very disappointing, as my kids would have loved to go meet and greet some of the players.

Default Re: Pacers really need help...with Marketing and Advertising

Yeah I thought it was alittle short notice too, I got mine at about 2pm today.
    Let me tell you though, it was probably all thought up this morning. You would be surprised to learn how things get thought up and pushed out the door. I work as a graphic designer and man do I get some crazy last minute things land in my lap at the beginning of the day, and I'm expected to email it out to the world immediately.

Maybe Pacers management needs to job shadow Colts management for a day.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the event occurred the day the e-mail was sent, and had already occurred by the time most recipients probably checked their e-mail messages!
    How about this:

They wanted to get the players and Pacemates out into the community, and they wanted media coverage. But they didn't want a hundred people ganging up to make Jeff Foster carry a gallon of milk to their car.

So they sent the information soon enough to get the media coverage, but not so soon as to encourage more public attendance than they wanted. If they got 10 seconds on TV news that was seen by more than 100,000 people, they accomplished what they aimed for.

Joey, I don't disagree with your major premise, but this could explain why they sent the info about the Marsh appearances on short notice.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Try winning, with class. It worked before.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan View Post
    Try winning, with class. It worked before.
    ...in the 70's?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Putnam,

That's actually a pretty viable explanation. I could see them doing that (trying to milk the media coverage with a modicum of community interaction).

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    If the Pacers really want to fill the seats and attract new fans, they should seriously consider overhauling their marketing and advertising departments.
    I believe they just did overhaul it and outsource to a branding/PR firm.

So what Putnam says, could be true.

Also, and less cynically, the lack of lead-time on the announcement could just be a logistical thing. I honestly don't know anything about the Marsh location in question, but I'd imagine there is limited parking and space for people to actually come and park and hang out in the store. Grocery stores tend to be pretty damn busy anyway, and while I'm sure Marsh would appreciate the extra business somewhat, having an extra 1,000 people in there could be a nightmare. And a nightmare would make a cool little PR/community outreach event into the exact opposite as far as TPTB are concerned.

So yeah, I think this was more of thing just for the random people who happened to be buying groceries at that time than a real call to arms for Pacer fans to attend. And think about it, wouldn't you have a pretty positive memory of the Pacers if you were just some soccer mom who happened to have her groceries bagged and delivered to her car by some 7' pro NBA guy?

Then she tells her husband/son/daughter later at dinner what happened and they all say how cool that was and decide they should actually go to a game this year since they haven't been to Conseco since before the brawl.

Seems pretty savvy and grassroots to me, actually.

Still, too bad your kids didn't go joeyd...woulda been cool. But maybe this is gonna become a standard outreach thing. Who knows...maybe Danny can wash your car someday.

streets ahead

::crossesfingersforslicktomowmylawn::
    This is the darkest timeline.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ...in the 90's.
    Fixed.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo