Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 103

Thread: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    I had a pretty good post written up covering about everything I saw tonight, but somehow I lost it all. (nothing I hate more than having to re-type what I just posted. ****en ****.

    Let me try to re-create it

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a pretty good post written up covering about everything I saw tonight, but somehow I lost it all. (nothing I hate more than having to re-type what I just posted. ****en ****.

    Let me try to re-create it

    What was that Unclebuck?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  3. #3
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Yikes .376 from the field and 10-18 from the free throw line - AND WE WON!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  4. #4
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,861

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    It think that is might rhyme with Unclebuck...

  5. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    OK, here is a shorten version.

    Just got back from the game and I didn't see game 1.

    Offense: I loved the ball movement. No one held the ball, no one tried to do things on their own. I was thinking as I was sitting there at the game tonight. Is the ball movement helping the Pacers shoot well or is the good shooting helping the ball movement - probably combo of both.

    I enjoyed seeing the Pacers run a play that the Celts used to run with Pierce and Walker. The power forward has the ball near the top of the key, and the guard or small forward flashes into the post. It is a good play because all the big defenders are drawn out of the lane.

    Defense: I loved the effort, I loved how there was a system of play, I loved how the players were all playing together. But what I loved most of all is I actually saw TEAM DEFENSE. I saw weakside help, I saw players looking to help. Sure there were times when the defense over-pursued, but that is better than giving up lay up after layup. And the players were actually in a defensive stance most of the time - reminded me of when Mike Brown ran the defense.

    Players:

    Need to start with Diener . I don't want to draw too many conclusions, this was afterall a preseason game. But he was extremely impressive. Mal and I were trying to think of when the Pacers ever had a better shooting point guard - and I couldn't think of when the NBA Pacers ever had a better shooting point. Sure he isn't going to shoot this well every game and teams will start playing him closer - but that is OK as that will open up other things.

    But his shooting was not the only thing that impressed me. His leadership, his passing, his ability to run the pick and roll were all impressive. he should be a great pick and roll player with his shooting teams will have to get out on him and that will really open things up. His ballhhanding was also very good - very high IQ. Defense wasn't terrible - I need to see more bfore I can say for sure.

    Owens Sure he looks like Eddie Gill - but he sure doesn't play like him. I liked Owen's defense and physical toughness and he plays extremely hard.

    OK- I'm getting tired of posting. I liked what I saw tonight. I might post more a little later

  6. #6
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Thanks UB. You have no idea how much this is appreciated when you "don't have eyes".

    By the way, Diener was a Larry Bird pick-up, right?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  7. #7
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    I said this in the last game thread, but I see a touch of NY's Nate Robinson in Diener. Not the same skill set but definitely the same kind of heart.

    All you have to do is watch Travis dive into the first row of seats going for a loose ball to know that he was a great pickup.

    But then one fleeting thought of him going up against a guy like Chauncey Billups and I come hurtling back to earth.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  8. #8
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Diener looked good. Diener looked very, very good. He will be an upgrade over any backup PG we have had in some time.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    I think Dunleavy's game is perfect for the offensive system - I'm thinking he'll be our second best player - probably not the second most important player - but the second best. Whenever he goes out of the game, the offense just doesn't work as well, the ball movement suffers and the Pacers tend to go more one-on-one.

    Let me make a few "wild predictions".
    1) Foster will play more minutes and will play a lot more crunch time than Murphy.
    2) Ike is going to struggle and he will not be part of the regular rotation when all the other big men are healthy - and no, Harrison doesn't count
    3) Diener will be in the 3 point contest during allstar weekend.
    4) O'Brien will be in the top 3 or 4 this season for coach of the year voting.
    5) Daniels will play very little if any point guiard this season. And by that I mean he'll very, very rarely be on the floor without one of the regular point guard. (the only time it might possibly happen is if the other team has a really big point guard and we need Daniels to defend him.


    Oh, I thought Shawne Willams played well in the second half.


    Just for fun, I want to go down the pacers lineup.

    Starters

    Tinsley
    Dunleavy
    Granger
    Murphy
    JO.

    Foster
    Marquis
    Diener
    Rush
    Williams
    Ike

    See that is 11 players - I don't see Ike being in the regular rotation and I see Williams and Rush getting around 10 minutes per

  10. #10
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,293

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    I sense this team and franchise are finally out of the woods in several ways. The team is enjoyable to watch and for the first time in years it seems we have a plan that makes some sense. We have a defensive scheme that makes sense for the personnel. We also have added just enough good shooters to make a big difference in terms of perimeter shooting. No, the players may not be as talented as 3 years ago, but the team is enjoyable to watch and I believe they will play much more unselfishly. It's truly a breath of fresh air.

  11. #11
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Dunleavy's game is perfect for the offensive system - I'm thinking he'll be our second best player - probably not the second most important player - but the second best. Whenever he goes out of the game, the offense just doesn't work as well, the ball movement suffers and the Pacers tend to go more one-on-one.

    Let me make a few "wild predictions".
    1) Foster will play more minutes and will play a lot more crunch time than Murphy.
    2) Ike is going to struggle and he will not be part of the regular rotation when all the other big men are healthy - and no, Harrison doesn't count
    3) Diener will be in the 3 point contest during allstar weekend.
    4) O'Brien will be in the top 3 or 4 this season for coach of the year voting.
    5) Daniels will play very little if any point guiard this season. And by that I mean he'll very, very rarely be on the floor without one of the regular point guard. (the only time it might possibly happen is if the other team has a really big point guard and we need Daniels to defend him.


    Oh, I thought Shawne Willams played well in the second half.


    Just for fun, I want to go down the pacers lineup.

    Starters

    Tinsley
    Dunleavy
    Granger
    Murphy
    JO.

    Foster
    Marquis
    Diener
    Rush
    Williams
    Ike

    See that is 11 players - I don't see Ike being in the regular rotation and I see Williams and Rush getting around 10 minutes per
    I agree with a lot of what you say here UB. Couple things tho, first off I think Murphy has looked pretty good so far. Very aggressive and he is playing very strong. I think Dun and Quis will thrive in this offense. They both just seem to look comfortable and although I didn't get to see him tonight, I think Tins will also benefit greatly from it. I also agree that Ike will not fit in and very likely could be moved. He isn't that impressive and I think there is a possibilty will look to trade him either by the trade deadline or next summer.

    Also something that needs to be touched on is our rebounding. 7 boards for JO in 23 minutes. 12 for Murphy in 25 minutes. Shawne with 10 boards in 20 minutes. Granted a large part of this was the poor shooting of us and the Sonics, but I still think its encouraging.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  12. #12
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    I really hope that Ike doesn't fall out of the rotation as many suggest.

    I think he has a lot to offer. He is such an intense presence on the boards and I love the way he boxes out. He can hit the open jumper as well, and has a wide array of back-to-the-basket post moves. I'd love to see him get some consistent minutes to prove what he can do. I know he can be a very good player in this league if he works on his passing game particularly. But if Shawne is going to be played at the 4 spot, I think one of our bigs has to go.

  13. #13
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,861

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    What happened when JO hit his three? What was the situation like? I find it hard to believe that the shot clock was running out under JOB. Just curious.

  14. #14
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,293

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    No, Ike does not appear to fit this style, but he's not a bad player even if he never gets any better. Let him develop some more and we might find the guy can run the floor. We also might be in great need of a post presence at some point if JO goes down to injury or opts out. I say we keep Ike until he asks for too much money or expects too much time on the floor.

  15. #15
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,403

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Tinsley did not play because of a bruised right shoulder suffered in practice Thursday. "He can't raise his arm to shoot," said O'Brien, "and it's kind of hard to play basketball if you can't shoot."

    Certainly didn't stop him in the past...

  16. #16
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,403

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Oh, and not to cast a shadow on Diener's accomplishments this evening, but our old buddy Sarunas tallied 18 points (on 7 of 8 shooting, including all 4 from 3pt range) against the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.

  17. #17
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,086

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [I] "He can't raise his arm to shoot," said O'Brien,.
    All the more reason to give him big minutes.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  18. #18
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,580

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tinsley did not play because of a bruised right shoulder suffered in practice Thursday. "He can't raise his arm to shoot," said O'Brien, "and it's kind of hard to play basketball if you can't shoot."

    Certainly didn't stop him in the past...

    zing!

  19. #19
    Member Tank31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    47
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JO4MVP2006 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened when JO hit his three? What was the situation like? I find it hard to believe that the shot clock was running out under JOB. Just curious.

    Actually, that is what happened. Ball was swung a couple of times around the outside, then someone passed to JO late and he had to take the 3.

    It's the only time I remember the shot clock getting under 5, really.
    Long time PACER fan!

  20. #20
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But if Shawne is going to be played at the 4 spot, I think one of our bigs has to go.
    Right. Not because we hate the idea of having a talented guy on the bench, but when a team is resource-poor (like us), it makes no sense to waste valuable players when you could be trying to fix real problems with the roster.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  21. #21
    Member Raoul Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Philawarepraguacago
    Posts
    408

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Can't wait to watch Diener in this game. I had to record it because I was busy watching IU pull a Purdue and start choking after a great start.

  22. #22
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,962

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, that is what happened. Ball was swung a couple of times around the outside, then someone passed to JO late and he had to take the 3.

    It's the only time I remember the shot clock getting under 5, really.
    It happened a few times in the 2nd half after Seattle zoned up. I remember Quinn getting after them.

    Speaking of Quinn, I wonder if the Seattle announcers talked about Green as much as Quinn did. It'll be interesting to see if he talks about Conley as much on Wednesday. I just hope somebody reminds him before we play Atlanta to not fawn all over Acie Law.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  23. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right. Not because we hate the idea of having a talented guy on the bench, but when a team is resource-poor (like us), it makes no sense to waste valuable players when you could be trying to fix real problems with the roster.
    Right thats my general point Ike is much more valuable to us as an asset then he is as a player at this point.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,750

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    By the way, Diener was a Larry Bird pick-up, right?
    Now ABA, this is at least the second thread in which you have asked this question. Are you maybe trying to make a point?

    They say that sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut.



    You just hope its not one of yours!

  25. #25
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Pacers vs Sonics postgame thread

    You know, when Bird said he was going to sign, "One of the best shooters in the league", we all thought he was referring to Kareem Rush. In hindsight, I think he was referring to Travis Diener. This dude is lights out.

Similar Threads

  1. Postgame thread Heat vs Pacers
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 03:36 PM
  2. Pacers Vs. Sonics Postgame thread
    By TheDon in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 05:48 AM
  3. Sonics postgame thread
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 06:37 PM
  4. Postgame thread Pacers @ Toronto (win 120-95)
    By able in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 01:36 PM
  5. Pacers vs Celtics postgame thread
    By Moses in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •