Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artest has torn ligament in thumb

Default Artest has torn ligament in thumb

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, Associated Press Writer
    January 27, 2004

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest has torn ligaments in his left thumb that will require surgery, but an operation might not be needed until after the season.

Artest flew to New York on Monday to have the thumb examined by the doctor who repaired a similar injury when Artest was a sophomore at St. John's. Artest said Tuesday he had not seen the results, but Pacers coach Rick Carlisle confirmed that the ligaments were torn.

Carlisle said the team was still in the ``discovery phase of the injury,'' and had not determined whether Indiana's second-leading scorer will wait until after the season to have it repaired.

Artest is averaging 17.5 points a game, but has struggled with his shot since injuring the thumb against New Jersey on Jan. 17. He shot 32 percent in the four games since the injury, including a 3-for-18 performance Friday in a loss to Houston.

Artest is questionable for Wednesday night's game against Phoenix.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Default Re: Artest has torn ligament in thumb

Dandy
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Default Vote for surgery

Torn ligament?

D*mn.

I vote for surgery now with the hope that he is back for the playoffs. Having this thing linger could suck the spark out of the team.

This could give Al his time on the floor and open up the 6th man for Bender.

Thoughts?

Kill Bill (Walton)

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Time to step up Al.

and work in Primoz a bit, please.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Not to steal the thread, but is anyone surprised that an AP reporter and not the IndyStar or Pacers.com "reporters" broke this story. Do you think that IndyStar reporters actually interview anyone or do they just sit back and wait till the quotes come off the AP/UPI teletype?

Back to Artest ....

I hope he does not try to play through this injury. See previous post.

Kill Bill (Walton)

Not to steal the thread, but is anyone surprised that an AP reporter and not the IndyStar or Pacers.com "reporters" broke this story. Do you think that IndyStar reporters actually interview anyone or do they just sit back and wait till the quotes come off the AP/UPI teletype?
    Actually it would be a surprise if the Indiana media HAD broke the story.

It would be a first for them.

As to Ron - what else is new? I mean, usually it's broken fingers but ligament damage will likely have the same effect.

Bye-bye shooting % - esp from deep.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

wait a minute-

the story says no torn liagament

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said on Tuesday that the ligaments on Artest's non-shooting hand were torn again, but after trainers examined an MRI taken in New York, it was determined that the thumb was only sprained.

They thought it was torn, but it's not, according to the link.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest is day to day due to a sprained thumb that is not damaged as badly as originally thought.

Artest flew to New York on Monday to have the thumb examined by the doctor who repaired torn ligaments in it when Artest was a sophomore at St. John's.

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said on Tuesday that the ligaments on Artest's non-shooting hand were torn again, but after trainers examined an MRI taken in New York, it was determined that the thumb was only sprained.

ADVERTISEMENT

Artest is Indiana's second-leading scorer. He is averaging 17.5 points a game, but has struggled since injuring the thumb against New Jersey on Jan. 17. He shot 32 percent in the four games since then, including a 3-for-18 performance Friday in a loss to Houston.

Artest said he believed he could play with the injury.

``It won't affect me much,'' Artest said. ``I'm a righty anyway. I'll just have to play through it and get used to it.''

Updated on Tuesday,
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Yeah, why are the stories different?

wait a minute-

the story says no torn liagament

They thought it was torn, but it's not, according to the link.
    In that case, I'll wait to here what Bruno has to say on Pacers.com. He might be waiting to see what the real deal is.

Looks like the AP writer "updated" his story and changed it about 180 degrees.

Wow no kidding:

Pacers' Artest has sprained thumb

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, Associated Press Writer
    January 27, 2004
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest is day to day due to a sprained thumb that is not damaged as badly as originally thought.

Artest flew to New York on Monday to have the thumb examined by the doctor who repaired torn ligaments in it when Artest was a sophomore at St. John's.

Artest is Indiana's second-leading scorer. He is averaging 17.5 points a game, but has struggled since injuring the thumb against New Jersey on Jan. 17. He shot 32 percent in the four games since then, including a 3-for-18 performance Friday in a loss to Houston.

Artest said he believed he could play with the injury.

``It won't affect me much,'' Artest said. ``I'm a righty anyway. I'll just have to play through it and get used to it.''

Updated on Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 3:53 pm EST

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm confused. Who is projected to win Florida's electoral college votes?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Comedic gold.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Yikes!

It's like he had two different stories ready to go, then the wrong one got posted. Or the right one did, and it's part of the big cover-up. :-)
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is killing me to say...

Looks like the Indy Star was right not to "break" that story, huh???

gads that left a horrible taste!
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Default Is there a doctor in the house.....

Calling a doctor....
    Isn't a sprain by definition torn ligaments to one degree or another?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

No, its more of a strech of the muscles or tendens than being torn of them.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I have been offline since about 2:00 today.

WTF is going on, what is the real injury

I think the real deal is it's a sprain and he's day to day.

No, its more of a strech of the muscles or tendens than being torn of them.
    I thought what you are describing is a 'strain' while a 'sprain' requires some tearing. It is the extent of the tearing which dictates whether surgery is required.

Assuming I am right....
    ...then both articles would be closer to accurate than what they'd appear on first read. The difference would be that the Indiana trainers believe the degree of the sprain is not bad enough to warrant surgery.

It is confusing (and why I could be wrong) because the terms tend to get used interchangably in the public.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Looks like it's closer to the second version. I posted the first one as soon as I saw it. Then it was changed to the 2nd version very shortly after.

- Jimmy Buffett

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00343

Sprains
    Sprains can cause rapid swelling. Generally, the greater the pain and swelling, the more severe the injury.

Mild. Your ligament stretches excessively or tears slightly. The area is somewhat painful, especially with movement. It's tender. There's not a lot of swelling. You can put weight on the joint.
    Moderate. The fibers in your ligament tear, but they don't rupture completely. The joint is tender, painful and difficult to move. The area is swollen and may be discolored from bleeding in the area. You may feel unsteady when you try to bear weight on your leg.
    Severe. One or more ligaments tear completely. The area is painful. You can't move your joint normally or put weight on it. If you try to walk, your leg feels as if it will give way. The joint becomes very swollen and also can be discolored. The injury may be difficult to distinguish from a fracture or dislocation, which requires medical care. You may need a brace to stabilize the joint or surgical repair in certain ligament injuries.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

htBut this 442's gonna overheat
    Make up your mind girl, I gotta get her back out on the street
    I know you're lonely like me, oh so don't fake it
    And maybe I can't lay the stars at your feet
    But I got this old car and she's pretty tough to beat
    There's plenty of room in my front seat
    Oh if you think you can make it, climb in
    This is town full of losers and baby I was born to win
    Wings for Wheels - a nice, obscure choice.

I'm waiting for someone to say, "Dude, those aren't the lyrics to Thunder Road."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you