Thread: Info on scoring & drafting

Default Info on scoring & drafting

I'll try to give a brief explanation

Scoring
    We use a points system based on production.

Every point scored counts as 1 fantasy point

Each Offensive rebound = 2 fantasy points

Each Defensive rebound = 1.5 fantasy points

Each Assist = 2 fantasy points

Each Steal = 2 fantasy points

Each Block = 2.5 fantasy points

Each Turnover = -1.5 fantasy points

Each Technical Foul = -1 fantasy point

Each Personal Fould = -.5 fantasy points

The game is set up to be as close to a real NBA as you can get.

Each NBA game is 48 minutes long & there are 5 players on the court as all times, so they take 48 x 5 & come up with a 240 minute game. Since there is only one player at center, you are given 48 center minutes to fill. Each forward position requires a total of 48 minutes & since you'll be playing an entire game with 2 forwards, thats 96 minutes. Same with the guards, 48 x2 =96.

Add them up.

48 center minutes
    96 forward minutes
    96 guard minutes

240 total minutes

Doesn't matter if you play 2 point guards or 2 off guards. You could play 2 small forwards or 2 power forwards. You're the coach, its up to you.

Some players are able to play multiple positions. Much like the Pacers Mike Dunleavy or Jermaine O'Neal. You'll see below why these players are important.

So you need to draft, use the waiver wire, trade or pull from the free agent pool, players that play enough minutes with quality production to help you score as many fantasy points as possible, using the 240 minute game clock.

Here is an example of a 12 player roster:

1. C Kendrick Perkins (BOS)
    2. CF Pau Gasol (MEM)
    3. CF Nick Collison (SEA)
    4. G Kobe Bryant (LAL)
    5. G Andre Miller (PHI)
    6. G Kirk Hinrich (CHI)
    7. GF Mike Miller (MEM)
    8. F Ryan Gomes (BOS)
    9. F Anderson Varej„o (CLE)
    10. F LaMarcus Aldridge (POR)
    11. F Andrea Bargnani (TOR)
    12. F Rudy Gay (MEM)

I have my line up set like this for a certain reason.

When the computer starts scoring your game it starts with the player you have listed #1 in your lineup.

I have Perkins listed first because he was the only player on my team that only played center. Lets say Perkins played 22 minutes. All of his fantasy points would count for that game. Since you have 48 center minutes to fill & Perkins played 22, you still have 26 minutes remaining to complete at center.

Next is Gasol. Lets say Gasol played 36 minutes. Since I have him listed as a CF, the computer would take 26 of his minutes & use them to complete your 48 minutes at the center position.

The remaining 10 minutes of Gasol game would count toward filling your 96 minutes at the forward spot.

The computer would break down Gasol's fantasy points on a per minute basis & then multiply that number by 26 for the center minutes & 10 for the forward minutes.

Sounds a lot more difficult than it really is.

If I had listed Gasol as a FC then all his minutes would have been used as a forward, leaving me short at center. So, its very important that you list your multi-position players correctly.

Next on the list is Collison, listed as a CF. Since my center minutes are complete, all of Collisons numbers will count as a forward. I still have 86 minutes to fill. I started with 96 & Gasol played 10 so I'm down to 86. Collison plays 29 so I still have 57.

Next are my all star guard lineup. Of my 96 guard minutes, Kobe plays 40, leaving me 56. Andre Miller plays 37, leaving me just 19 to complete my guard minutes. Hinrich plays 35 so this is how the computer handles that. It takes Hinrichs production & divides it by the minutes he plays. Then takes his "per minute" number & multiples it by the 19 minutes I still have remaining at the guard spot. The rest of Hinrichs numbers are unused.

So, another important tip. Per minute numbers are very important in this game. Also, the order you have them listed in your lineup. You'd want to make sure that your best players are listed first.

I'll try to be more brief with the rest of the lineup.

Mike Miller is next, listed as a GF but since my guard minutes are filled, all of Millers numbers will count at forward. I have 57 forward minutes to fill. Miller plays 39, leaving me 18 minutes remaining.

Ryan Gomes plays 31 so the computer divides is fantasy game by 31 then multiples it by 18 to fill the remaining minutes I have at forward.

In this example 13 minutes of Gomes fantasy numbers will not count in my game total.

None of the other players on my team will have their fantasy points count either since players ahead of them in my lineup have played all the available minutes for that game.

Like I said before, in practice it is soooooo much easier.

We have alot of guys still reading this board that can help answer your questions, if my explnations seem muddled. I have zero problem with that. As long as you have an idea of how the scoring is done before the season starts.

Questions?

Default Re: Info on scoring & drafting

What's the format for determining position eligibility? (JO as FC, Dunleavy as GF) What site are we going off?

The info you e-mailed was sweet. Looking forward to this league.

Good question. At present we don't have a guideline set up for this.

Lets do this.

We'll start out using NBA.com

If you have a player you feel his playing 2 positions & not listed that way on NBA.com then you can put that player up for a vote.

Just post your position request here on this board by starting a new thread. Use the poll option with a 1 day time limit. Post as much information as you can to attempt to convince the other owners that your player should be listed at 2 positions. Quotes from the coach are the most convincing.

If you get a majority of those voting, with a minimum of 8 "yes" votes, then your player gets multi-position status.

Fair?

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

sounds fair.

Ok some random questions shall follow.

Since each player has the opportunity to play 82 games this season...how does that work - are each positions eligible to play 82 games or you can play as much as you can by revising your line-up on a daily basis?

Speaking of line-ups - how does the system work - are the teams playing against each other and we are ranked by the wins/loss or its a free for all format where whoever has the most points for that day/week wins?

And in regards to the line-ups - they are changeable on a daily basis or do we stick it out with one team for one week period and then revise them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sounds fair.

Ok some random questions shall follow.

Since each player has the opportunity to play 82 games this season...how does that work - are each positions eligible to play 82 games or you can play as much as you can by revising your line-up on a daily basis?

Speaking of line-ups - how does the system work - are the teams playing against each other and we are ranked by the wins/loss or its a free for all format where whoever has the most points for that day/week wins?

And in regards to the line-ups - they are changeable on a daily basis or do we stick it out with one team for one week period and then revise them?

Thanks
    Though you can change your lineup daily, the games counting for any selected player are decided in advance, so changing your lineup wont change that, also the option to change your lineup will close a certain amount of time before the game is started.

As an example

players 1 & 2 are playing G and they are on the pacers, the game that will count is the game of Nov 4, this game is played upon that same date, but other players say 3 & 4 who are on the Spurs, play on the 5th, so not before they have played becomes your result final, once a game is locked you can no longer change the players, and the game you are playing is directly correlating with the games they play, so changing them around does not help

I get what you are trying to do, i.e. play 1 player more then others, since he plays 82 games, but you forget that our playoffs need to be finished before the end of the regular season, otherwise half your players are not counting anymore
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Jose, did you have a list that you could email me? I could PM you my email address if you do. I haven't done fantsay bball but twice and the last time was in the 2005-06 season.

I'll probably be one of those players that needs a little help at the beginning.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    Gyron

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jose, did you have a list that you could email me? I could PM you my email address if you do. I haven't done fantsay bball but twice and the last time was in the 2005-06 season.

I'll probably be one of those players that needs a little help at the beginning.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    Gyron
    PM me your e-mail address & I'll get it out to you tonight.