Thread: Morris to have surgery, season likely over (IndyStar)

streets ahead

Default Morris to have surgery, season likely over (IndyStar)

October 2, 2007

Morris will have surgery
    Availability of other injured Colts remains uncertain

By Mike Chappell

More than a quarter-century of experience as an NFL coach has taught Tony Dungy to proceed cautiously when injuries are involved.

That's why he's preparing for a worst-case scenario in the aftermath of the Indianapolis Colts' injury-marred 38-20 win over Denver on Sunday. Five front-line players exited the game with injuries, and at least one definitely won't play when Tampa Bay visits Sunday afternoon.

Strong-side linebacker Rob Morris is scheduled for surgery today to repair a torn tendon in his left knee. His season likely is over.

Uncertainty hovers over the other four prominent players injured in the game: eight-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Marvin Harrison (bruised left knee), former Pro Bowl safety Bob Sanders (bruised ribs), running back Joseph Addai (bruised shoulder) and tight end Ben Utecht (concussion).

Until doctors clear the ailing players, Dungy will follow instincts engrained in him since he first became an NFL assistant coach with Pittsburgh in 1981. "If as coaches we were planning, we'll plan for all of them to be out,'' he said.

Dungy and team president Bill Polian were to meet with the medical staff Monday night for an update. On his weekly radio show prior to meeting with team physicians, Polian said Morris was "going to have surgery (today), so I think that's probably it for him this year."

"All the rest . . . are bumps and bruises type things,'' he added. "I think those will be Wednesday, Thursday, maybe even Friday decisions. But that's the National Football League. That's the way it is."

Polian said Addai could have returned to the game in the fourth quarter if the situation had warranted. And at halftime, Harrison, who was injured late in the first quarter when Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams rolled up on his legs from behind, told Polian he could have returned.

Team doctors, though, insisted on holding Harrison out.

"I don't think it's a long-term thing. Marvin didn't think so," Polian said. "At halftime, it didn't seem to be that serious an issue."

Any injury involving Harrison is an issue. The team's career leader in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns has missed only six of 180 regular-season starts because of injury. Harrison missed the final four games of the 1998 season with a separated shoulder and one start in 2003 (hamstring) and '05 (non-displaced bone in his right hand).

"It just seems like he always just gets up and shakes it off," said Aaron Moorehead, who replaced Harrison in the lineup against Denver and would do so again against the Buccaneers. "He may come to the sideline for a play and then he's back in."

The Colts might have to make a roster move or two if several players are forced to miss Sunday's game. The absence of Harrison and Utecht -- Polian said the latter is "doubtful'' for the Bucs game -- would be compounded by rookie wide receiver Roy Hall being out with a separated left shoulder.

It's possible the team will have to add a receiver (Craphonso Thorpe) or tight end (Gijon Robinson) off the practice squad.

"If everybody is going to be out, we might have to," Dungy said.

"Hopefully it doesn't come to that."

However the injury situation unfolds, the Colts will proceed with whichever players are available. That's what Dungy did at halftime against the Broncos when he was informed he would be without Harrison, Sanders, Morris and Utecht for the second half.

"You sit down and say, 'Hey, Bryan (Fletcher), you're going in. Aaron, you're in . . . Rocky (Boiman) and Matt (Giordano),' " Dungy said. "They did a great job.''
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...50/1247/SPORTS
    This is the darkest timeline.

Default Re: Morris to have surgery, season likely over (IndyStar)

Not a big shock if you saw the play. Definitely a big loss for the defense.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rob was a huge difference-maker once he was inserted into the lineup last season. The Colts will miss his presence. Hopefully Boiman or Hagler is ready to step in full-time now.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a big shock if you saw the play. Definitely a big loss for the defense.
    Something being torn isn't a shock, but I figured it would have been his PCL with the way his knee was bent when it popped. Basically he tore some muscle off of the bone, which would make me think there was some other factors at work.

Looked like Rob knew it when he went off. I was hoping this would be like D.Clark last year when he rehabbed and came back, but alas, no. Good luck, Rob.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And the hits just keep on comin'...

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    And the hits just keep on comin'...
    And it gets worse. ESPN is reporting that Marvin might not play in the next game because of his knee.

Great job on CBS's part as they reported it definitively during the game as a sprained knee.(/sarcasm)

Just a massive loss for us though. Rob had really become a reliable outside linebacker and our defense just doesn't have much depth.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Were cursed!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really feel bad for Rob Morris. After a disappointing start to his career, he turned it around and become a huge factor last season and during our run to the Super Bowl.

Hopefully he can make a full recovery and come back strong next season. Sucks for us this season though, the linebacker position may have our least amount depth.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I'm one of Rob's biggest fans. He's a beast. I'm pissed this happened. But he will be back.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I'm one of Rob's biggest fans. He's a beast. I'm pissed this happened. But he will be back.
    I hope so, but Rob's no spring chicken and he got a super bowl ring. He's gonna be 32 before the next season starts I think. Or I could be mixing him up with someone else.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

It definitely hurts the Colts defense. He found his spot at OLB and was looking like the pick we'd expected him to be. Early on he was looking as important as Sanders to this defense.

He used to fall right into blocks coming through the line, but the last year basically he's learned to shed them quickly or has been quick enough to avoid them outright, which in turn let him pursue the ball at will.