Thread: OT: Spanning the ages;stories

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OT: Spanning the ages;stories

Perhaps this will bore the younger ones to death but let's see.

As one of the "younger" oldtimers around here I have seen some really major changes in my life and I'm wonder about some of the rest of you old farts out there.

I remember:

My dad's car had a crank on the front in case the electric starter didn't work.

A refrigerator was a Frigidaire but before that the iceman delivered ice for the icebox.

Outhouses were the norm.

Well-pumps

Party line phones with cranks on em.

others?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: OT: Spanning the ages;stories

When I was a boy, almost nobody used HTML. Nope, we used straight ASCII, and if somebody wanted to get fancy, they'd put in ANSI color.

:sniff: Life was so simple then...

Oh yeah, and I remember the Pacers WAY back in the day. They had this guy named "Smits" as a starting center, and he was TALL!

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Young whipper-snapper smartasses

I remember having to walk 6 miles to school each day, uphill both ways, with the snow blowing in my face. Oh wait - that was my dad.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Hmmm the long-lost brother I never new I had.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

I had to change the channel on the tv by hand not with some fancy remote. My gaming experience was on an Atari (on a black and white tv) when everyone had a Nintendo (on color tv). We sometimes watched movies on a Beta machine (which still works and has outlasted several VCR's).
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I was excited to get PONG for Christmas
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I was a boy, almost nobody used HTML. Nope, we used straight ASCII, and if somebody wanted to get fancy, they'd put in ANSI color.

:sniff: Life was so simple then...

Oh yeah, and I remember the Pacers WAY back in the day. They had this guy named "Smits" as a starting center, and he was TALL!

Priceless!!!

Your "Globe Award" for "smartassery" is in the mail.

And as for you, geezer, either you are a "few" years older than my 52, or you grew up in eastern Kentucky. Which?

Mood

And as for you, geezer, either you are a "few" years older than my 52, or you grew up in eastern Kentucky. Which?

some of each

I be 56 but grew up in the sticks between Linton and Clinton, with Terre Haute thown in for good measure, until we moved to upscale Greenfield.

Mood

Amos and Andy (on the radio)
    Lum and Abner (again on the radio)
    Packards
    DeSoto
    5 cent coca cola

On Sat. we walked to the movie and stopped by the Chesty Potato Chip factory. For taking the tour we each got a small bag of chips which we took with us. The Movie cost us a dime and a coke a nickle. We saw a cartoon, a newsreel, a short feature (like 3 stooges) and usually a double feature. Here's an oddity, if you missed any part you could stay and watch it again free. If you were ornery you could stay and watch the whole thing but as we were on the honor system nobody cheated...we left when we reached the place we came in.

God I feel old
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

You're welcome.

Bring back some memories?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gather round kiddies and I'll tell ya' a tale of my youth.

Our first big color TV sat on the floor, we didn't know nuthin' about entertainment centers and television racks. You were lucky if you could find a tv that wasn't made to sit on the floor. We had more black and white TVs than color ones until I was 16. And to top it off, none of them had a remote!

Michael Jackson was the King of Pop.

Mike Tyson was the best boxer on the planet.

If you had an Nintendo Entertainment System you were the man!

"What you talking 'bout Willis" was the catch phrase.

Worst of all, the Pacers were the floormat of the NBA!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

You had TV's?????? We didn't have any TV's. Hell, I didn't know Lassie was brown and white until I was 20. I remember asking "what happened to the grey and white dog". And I'm sorry but Ali ruled the roost. We had to go through Sara to call anyone. And the car we had had these tiny rear windows. Our basketball shorts were satin.

Mood

"To look sharp...and to feel that way...
    To be sharp....and to stay that way....

The FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS ARE ON THE AIR!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember;

3 channels on the t.v., 4 after we put the antenna on the roof and could get channel 4 out in the country.

Coleco Vision

We had a laser disk player that we rented that played disks that were inside a plastic case. They were the size of an old LP.