Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Rush hoping to make impact.

  1. #1

    Default Rush hoping to make impact.

    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...ct_in_indiana/


    Kareem Rush pays visit to Missouri basketball scrimmage

    Kareen Rush, center, scrimmaged with the Missouri men's basketball team Saturday morning at Mizzou Arena during an open practice. Rush left Missouri after his junior year and is currently under contract with the Indiana Pacers of the NBA.

    By JOHN JUETTNER/MISSOURIAN

    September 22, 2007 | 6:20 p.m. CST

    COLUMBIA — A few MU football fans moseyed away from their tailgates to catch a glimpse of the MU men’s basketball team at its open scrimmage on Saturday. In the process they stumbled upon a former star, Kareem Rush.

    Rush, who left MU for the NBA draft after the 2002 season, was in Columbia to celebrate his daughter Kaylen’s second birthday and decided to stop by the scrimmage to get some work in to prepare for the upcoming NBA season.

    Rush spent most of last year playing for BC Lietuvos Rytas in Lithuania after being released by the Seattle Supersonics before he was able to play a game in the 2006-07 NBA season. After having success in Europe, where his team won the Baltic League championship and he was named the Final Four MVP, Rush is back in the NBA. He agreed to a one-year contract with the Indiana Pacers in July.

    Rush is hoping to make a bigger impact with the Pacers than he did in his other NBA stops with the Los Angeles Lakers, and Charlotte Bobcats.

    “My agent has been talking to the organization and I’ve got a chance to fight for a starting position,” Rush said. “I’m definitely going to see heavy minutes. I’m excited about the opportunity and hopefully I can take advantage of it.”

    The Pacers were lacking in outside shooters last season after a mid-season trade sent Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington to the Golden State Warriors. Rush has always been known for his jump shooting ability, which could make Indiana a nice fit for him.

    The Pacers have a new coaching staff this season, putting everyone on equal footing heading into the new season, which is something that excites Rush as a new player to the team.

    “It’s kind of a blank slate for everybody,” he said. “You’re trying to go in there and learn whatever they are trying to teach — new plays and everything. So everybody’s on pretty much the same page as far as team-wise.”

    Rush played in a few of the scrimmages with the rest of the Tiger squad, and it was Marshall Brown who drew the assignment of covering him.

    “I’ve played against Kareem before, but it’s always fun to play against a guy that’s in the NBA,” Brown said. “It’s always a good experience for me. It’s perfect.”

    Rush is hoping for a perfect season with the Pacers, since he only signed a one-year deal.

    “I don’t want to be caught up in a bad deal for many years,” he said. “So if I do well this year I’m looking for a big contract next summer, which is hopefully what I’ll get.”

    Family Man: Rush’s younger brother, Brandon, is a junior guard for the Kansas Jayhawks, but he doesn’t let the fan rivalry impact his relationship with his brother. “I’m happy for him,” Kareem Rush said. “At the end of the day he’s my brother. So I’m always happy to see him do well. That whole KU/MU rivalry it doesn’t really affect us. We’re family, so I’m just happy he’s doing well.”

    Rush said that he hopes his younger brother continues to improve his skills and can join him in the NBA someday soon.

    Enjoying the Support: Marshall Brown really likes the idea of open scrimmages before home football games. “I like it a lot,” he said. “It gives the fans a chance to get an early look at us and start some excitement about Mizzou basketball, so I think it’s a great thing.”

    Deadly From Distance: The MU women’s basketball team also held an open scrimmage on Saturday morning and sophomore guard Amanda Hanneman entertained the crowd with a barrage of three pointers. “I love shooting threes,” she said. “Our whole team can shoot. We really try to get into the gym and help each other out. So I had a lot of help from my teammates to get that shot.”
    Received the 1998 J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award

    Named an NBA All-Star in 1998

    Won the 2002 NBA Sportsmanship Award

    Part of the 2003 Spurs Championship Team.

  2. #2
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,799

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    I think Rush will probably beat out Dun for the starting 2 guard slot. I really think Dunleavy's skills would make him a great 6th man, while Rush's shooting ability and athleticism would make him a nice fit with Jermaine. We'll see how all this plays out, but I'm really going to be paying attention to the preseason this year, because the Dunleavy/Rush battle for the 2 guard slot is going to be great to watch. Consequently, I think the competition will serve to make both players better. Add into that, Rush is basically in a contract year; that coupled with a desire to prove himself will make him a bargain for what we paid for him. The only thing I'm worried about is if we'll be willing to pony up to keep him if he really pans out. That would bite if he truly broke out, and then bolted because of some of the horrendous contracts we're stuck with. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm starting to get excited about the season. I in no way think we'll be as bad as some people think. One thing with Rush is this: I think early on what may trip him up a little early is the self-imposed pressure to prove himself. I think the danger may be in him trying to do a little too much. If he can control that, and play within the offense, he's going to be one of the reasons the Pacers succeed this year. I am a huge Rush fan, and actually thought we should have picked him instead of Freddy. But hey, we've got him now, and I'm expecting big things from him!

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,986

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    It makes sense that Rush would be the starting two guard. Bringing Dunleavy, Daniels and Foster off the bench would make our second unit really strong

  4. #4

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am a huge Rush fan, and actually thought we should have picked him instead of Freddy. But hey, we've got him now, and I'm expecting big things from him!

    Yep.

    "The Kareem Rush Story" may turn out to be the feel-good story line this franchise is looking for. I'm talking about a tale to place on the shelf right next to "Rudy" and "Hoosiers," all about an earnest, honest American who makes his way through travails in a foreign land and back home again.

    When Disney makes the movie, Rush can be played by Chris Tucker, with Chris Rock as his wise-cracking best friend, and Will Farrell as the nasty, chain-smoking coach of Lietuvos Rytas. Sarunas Jasikevicius will play himelf in a cameo role as a malicious competitor who bribes the Euro-league referee with pickled herring and vodka to call bogus fouls on Kareem.

    I'd go see it. But first, Kareem has to write the happy ending.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  5. #5
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,919

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    I love how the article calls Harrington and Jackson "outside shooters." We were lacking those before the GS trade.

  6. #6
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It makes sense that Rush would be the starting two guard. Bringing Dunleavy, Daniels and Foster off the bench would make our second unit really strong
    I wouldn't call it "really strong" considering all three of those guys are more of backups than starters anyway. Those 3 are an adequately effective core of a bench lineup. Nothing more, nothing less IMO.


    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love how the article calls Harrington and Jackson "outside shooters." We were lacking those before the GS trade.
    We weren't lacking them, we were lacking the appropriate means to utilize them. Rick wouldn't allow freelancing outside shots, and honestly Jack gets in a rhythm on his own accord and Al flat-out loves to catch and shoot. Neither happened often enough.

  7. #7
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love how the article calls Harrington and Jackson "outside shooters." We were lacking those before the GS trade.
    well technically speaking they did jack quite a few shots from the outside...

  8. #8
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    as for Rush - I am expecting some improved performance - this is basically his contract year - to sell himself as good as he possibly can...its up to him to step up and take the opportunity to be in a position to get that big contract he's looking for in the next FA season...

  9. #9
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    as for Rush - I am expecting some improved performance - this is basically his contract year - to sell himself as good as he possibly can...its up to him to step up and take the opportunity to be in a position to get that big contract he's looking for in the next FA season...
    Yup, he's just here to put up some points and leave with fat pockets. Can't really blame him, but it's just another indication of how this team is spiraling towards a franchise like the Hawks or something.

    I can't say I'm too excited of the battle for the STARTING 2-guard to be between a bust who fits more at SF and a dude who was in Europe last season.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love how the article calls Harrington and Jackson "outside shooters." We were lacking those before the GS trade.
    Jackson was an outside SHOOTER. He SHOT them often (too often). His issue was that he couldn't MAKE them.

    If Rush can make them and know when NOT to shoot them then he will be more of an asset than Jax ever was, even ignoring the ref-whining and the on and off court "conduct deterimental to the team" that you get with Jax.

  11. #11
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Rush can make them and know when NOT to shoot them then he will be more of an asset than Jax ever was, even ignoring the ref-whining and the on and off court "conduct deterimental to the team" that you get with Jax.
    That's an asinine statement to make. Kareem Rush could have the season of his entire life and he still wouldn't be close to Jack in terms of overall contribution.

  12. #12
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    I think a bench of Dunleavy, Daniels, and Foster would be solid for any team. I'm sure that even the Spurs wouldn't mind having those guys come off their bench. As long as everyone's healthy, that's a solid unit. That being said, does that mean that we're pretty much assuming a Tinsley-Rush-Granger-Murphy-JO starting line-up?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's an asinine statement to make. Kareem Rush could have the season of his entire life and he still wouldn't be close to Jack in terms of overall contribution.

    You are focusing upon positive contributions and ignoring negative contributions.

    The Warriors will learn more about that this year, now post-honeymoon they should get a solid dose of "conduct detrimental to winning" from their well-armed shooting guard.

    I'm not convinced Rush will be any good. If he is a disaster, I'd still prefer him over Jackson.

  14. #14
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It makes sense that Rush would be the starting two guard. Bringing Dunleavy, Daniels and Foster off the bench would make our second unit really strong
    So Shawne's not in the rotation?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  15. #15
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are focusing upon positive contributions and ignoring negative contributions.

    The Warriors will learn more about that this year, now post-honeymoon they should get a solid dose of "conduct detrimental to winning" from their well-armed shooting guard.

    I'm not convinced Rush will be any good. If he is a disaster, I'd still prefer him over Jackson.
    I'd agree with this Pacertom.

    Jackson came with too much baggage that offset his positive contributions.

  16. #16
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love how the article calls Harrington and Jackson "outside shooters." We were lacking those before the GS trade.
    You really think Rush is going to drop the 45% from 3 that Harrington was? Jack I'll give you is only a limited outside threat when he puts up a 35% rate, but when you compare it to the sub-30 that Dun was doing you see the Pacers taking a serious hit in outside shooting with that trade.

    Dun does good things, but he makes Jackson look like Reggie from 3.


    Now to spoil the party, what is a smart move now is going to end up turning on TPTB if Rush works out. One year, say he blows up and runs out some really solid numbers as a 25-30 mpg SG with a 39% 3pt rate, not exactly unreachable. He goes to resign at a significant increase and the Pacers can't keep him. Thanks GS trade and now the fans are PO'd that TPTB didn't sign him to 3 years instead.

    The fact is that with so much money tied up in JO/Dun/Troy the Pacers can't afford to pay a star SG outside of guys on a rookie deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are focusing upon positive contributions and ignoring negative contributions.

    The Warriors will learn more about that this year, now post-honeymoon they should get a solid dose of "conduct detrimental to winning" from their well-armed shooting guard.

    I'm not convinced Rush will be any good. If he is a disaster, I'd still prefer him over Jackson.
    As long as you are willing to own up next April if it doesn't go that way. I heard a lot of talk post-trade about how GS was going to flounder with his attitude. Instead they rolled right along...and it's not like Jackson was a choir boy during that run. What, getting fined, drawing double techs in the playoffs and being super-emotional isn't what you meant?

    Hell, Jackson was WORSE with his emotions in GS, at least in the Dallas series. And he was still a big part of them winning that series. I just don't see what people expect with Jackson, with this "they'll see". Bring up Rio all you want, but it's his ONLY criminal behavior unless you count the brawl which is ridiculous IMO. That was out of hand long before Jack did anything.

    To quote Dennis Green, Jackson in Oakland was who we (meaning probably only abjry and myself) thought he was. Talented, a sparkplug, prone to stupid plays, streaky as a shooter, a tough defender when not occupied with the refs, prone to losing his cool when he shouldn't, etc. He doesn't get worse, that was him last April and May, and he didn't ruin the team.

    Jackson has won more playoff series (meaning actually played in any in the first place) than Dunleavy or Murphy. That's in San Antonio, Indiana and Golden State, ie you can't just say "well he was on a team that carried him". If the Pacers had done better once he left I might be a lot more receptive to this continued attitude on him. But I've yet to see proof of teams tanking when he arrives or soaring when he leaves...or did Atlanta shoot to the playoffs when he joined the Pacers?


    A lot of you just personally don't like him, fine, but stop equating that with "he made the team worse". He didn't. I wish he did because that would have meant a playoff run last year after they shipped him out, instead of being 1 win above the worst 2nd half W-L record last season.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 09-24-2007 at 12:48 PM.

  17. #17
    Member BoomBaby33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    On The Westside
    Posts
    783
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Shawne's not in the rotation?
    Not for the first 3 games at least.

    But seriously folks, since it appears that JO will be here until at least the trade deadline, heres how it appears.

    Starters: JO-PF, Murph-C, Danny-SF, Rush-SG and Tinman-PG.

    Reserves: DunDun-SF, Foster and / or Hulk and / or Ike-C, Shawne-PF, Daniels-SG/PG, Diener-PG.

    Does this work with Obie's 3 second rule, and bombs away theory? We shall see. At least we have people playing their true natural position for the most part on both squads (sans Shawne at PF - he is more of a SF if you ask me) - moreso than last year. I see us getting killed on the boards with our starters.

    If this doesnt work by the trade deadline, it needs blown up.
    Last edited by BoomBaby33; 09-24-2007 at 12:56 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't call it "really strong" considering all three of those guys are more of backups than starters anyway. Those 3 are an adequately effective core of a bench lineup. Nothing more, nothing less IMO.




    We weren't lacking them, we were lacking the appropriate means to utilize them. Rick wouldn't allow freelancing outside shots, and honestly Jack gets in a rhythm on his own accord and Al flat-out loves to catch and shoot. Neither happened often enough.
    Here comes your standard riddle again:

    ''All guards and forwards on the Pacers suck, Jackson is the best, it was all Carlisle's fault, Bird sucks, etc."

    Your boy Jackson is gone, deal with it dude!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

  19. #19
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    "JayRedd hoping to date Jessica Alba"

  20. #20
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Rush is a scrub and will be a scrub until he proves otherwise. Im not willing to declare a scrub our starting 2 guard just yet. Daniels is our best player in the backcourt and he needs to start as long as he is healthy. Our team doesnt have enough talent to get creative with the starting lineups. Starting the best players at each position is the only way were going to win any games this season.

  21. #21
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    The fact that Kareem Rush starting is even in the realm of possibility speaks volumes about the Pacers shooting guard situation. This is a guy who couldn't carve a starting spot on the 26-56 Charlotte Bobcats two seasons ago and couldn't even get a contract last season. I do like Rush and I like Daniels but neither of them are starting material on an above average team.

    With that said, they are awesome on video game teams as the starting 2 & 3. I also like to have Bonzi Wells and Adrian Griffin backing them up with Jamaal and Alston at the point. Camby, Ratliff, Stromile Swift & Fortson make a real solid frontcourt as well. Now if we could just somehow invent a way for us to control them from our game room's the Pacers could possibly go undefeated and win all 82 by 60-70 points.

  22. #22
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,799

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact that Kareem Rush starting is even in the realm of possibility speaks volumes about the Pacers shooting guard situation. This is a guy who couldn't carve a starting spot on the 26-56 Charlotte Bobcats two seasons ago and couldn't even get a contract last season. I do like Rush and I like Daniels but neither of them are starting material on an above average team.
    I disagree. I think Daniels and Rush are both starting material on some teams, and role players on others. I wouldn't handcuff him forever with what happened in Charlotte. I, for one, take Phil Jackson's statements about Rush as being much more valuable. In any event, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Rush's shooting fits with Jermaine. His skill is much more needed with the starting group. Anyway, his work ethic (which was called into question by Bickerstaff) will bear itself out. If what BB said is true, we only have him signed for the year. If not, great move.

  23. #23
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,799

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    Rush has one thing going for him that Jackson didn't....He's probably going to be more loved than his predecessor. I'd imagine living up to Jackson's legacy as opposed to trying to fill in after Reggie Miller is a little bit different.

  24. #24
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,187
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rush hoping to make impact.

    keep posting johnybegood. Don't let Jackson garble hijack another thread.

Similar Threads

  1. Here's hoping we don't lose both of these guys
    By D23 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 06:49 PM
  2. Comparing Peja's impact and Ron's impact post trade.
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 08:38 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 02:29 PM
  4. English still hoping to crack the NBA
    By able in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 07:13 AM
  5. Here's hoping that's the last time we see Ron Artest
    By sweabs in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •