Thread: I know you Pacer fans are nuts about Reggie but...

Default Re: I know you Pacer fans are nuts about Reggie but...

Obviously you aren't a Laker fan because you wouldn't be able to use the words Lakers and morals in the same sentence.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

LAPacer

Just like every other player, he had a bad game. The previous game he was the leading scorer. The game before that, he hit the game winner. You must not be watching the same series.

I know he's not near as good as he used to be, but he is more than serviceable.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is hurting the team if he isnt shooting except in the fourth quarter. Artest isnt shooting well and Oneal finally has come around. Who else is supposed to score besides Oneal. It is supposed to be the SHOOTING GUARD. Im not going to just put it on Reggie, everyone needs to step up the scoring. Right now i do believe Reggie his an hindurance, Not unless he is playing in Conseco. Reggie take your game on the road bud.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would not be suprised if Reggie quietly retired this summer.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Did games #1 and #2 not take place. Didn't Reggie hit the game winner in the first game, and didn't Reggie play very well in game #2.

Banned

Did games #1 and #2 not take place. Didn't Reggie hit the game winner in the first game, and didn't Reggie play very well in game #2.
    You could look at game one and focus on the one and only field goal he made during the game, or you could focus on the fact that he played 32 minutes and scored 6 points on 1-7 field goal shooting.

You could look at game two and say that he made 21 points, or you could focus on the fact that he made 5 of 13 field goals, and Rip Hamilton scored 23 points. You could also focus on the fact that he BLEW a breakway opportunity to tie the game in the final minute by taking it extremely soft to the rim.

I don't see how anyone could contend that he made a valuable contribution in game 3.

In total he has made 7 of 24 field goal attempts in this series. He is not putting pressure on the defense. He is not spreading the defense. His slow game plays right into Detroit's hands. Rip Hamilton is doing whatever he wants to do. Reggie should be playing no more than 24 minutes a game. He should not be in the game for long stretches. Have him check in, fire up a couple threes, and go sit down for a while.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

I bet Larry Brown is Running around the Pistons Arena yelling " Brillant" and I can see that Pistons Fans are loving it too

It almost seems silly to respond to this, but I'll go ahead.

This notion that a player whose last shot is the game winner didn't have a good game is ludicrous. Pacers won the game. Reggie made the game winner. Without him they are down 0-3. End of story. Who cares if the Pacers could have blown them out had he been making a bunch of shots. Without the last one, they most likely lose.

And keeping the Pacers alive in game two and leading the team in scoring (a big factor for those who don't understand concepts like spreading the defense which if you watch the game they always close out on Reggie on the three point line meaning that the defense is spread which isn't the case with any other player on the floor) makes that a good game. Reggie makes four free throws in a row, something else nobody on this team can do in the 4th quarter, to give them a chance, and then putting them in a position to tie at the end. Not a surprise that Reggie put himself in a position to make the play. Half of the players in the NBA would have made the same mistake, and a few would have blundered the dunk or layup, and even if he went for the stuff there's a chance that Prince blocks it anyway. Reggie put the Pacers in a position to win that game. No one else did. Getting your **** blocked shouldn't make you a scapegoat especially when there were 19 blocks in the game total. Without Reggie, we aren't even in game 2.

I wouldn't even say he hurt us in game 3, though he does virtually nothing for the Pacers when he doesn't shoot, and virtually nothing when the Pacers don't run a triple screen until one minute left to give him an open look. They guy is clearly still the best shooter on the team, look at the shooting percentages for others who should be higher because the majority of their shots are closer to the rim. The reason he isn't as effective is because the Pacers wait until he's rusty to call plays for himself expecting him to be 100% in the clutch and make no effort to get him going early. I fault him for not shooting more in game 3, but I fault the coaching and some of the players for making virtually no effort to get him involved. The triple screen that they run one time gives him a wide open look. Give him more of those and this is a different playoff series.

For all the Pacer fans who want Reggie gone, they will get their wish soon enough and this franchise will suffer as a result. But if he were already gone, the Pacers would probably be down 0-3. One blocked shot isn't killing a team. Making a game winner to put the team up 3, not 2, but 3, and scoring 4 straight points in the final minute to bring the team back are one of the primary reasons why the Pacers are still in this series.

Why not point fingers at the guy who bobbles the ball when he gets it in the lane in the last minute of the game who is supposed to be the go to guy, or the one who won't pass and can't shoot that great anyway but still chugs a three with someone in his face trying to always be the hero, or at all of the other paltry layups that bigger and stronger players have taken that were swatted away, or at the coach who doesn't know how to get the most out of Reggie or the entire team when the defensive is far better and the pressure goes way up. Or at whomever else was taking clutch shots and missing in all these close playoff games that the Pacers have lost.

Though I will agree, I think using Reggie as a decoy is just plain stupid. It's like playing 4 on 4 sometimes with two players standing in the corner. The guy's a shooter, and one of the greatest in NBA history who can still shoot better than most players in the league. Run triple screens. Get him shots. Let him shoot. And have a little more respect for the best player this franchise has ever seen. Not just because of what he's done, but because of what he continues to do. I'll say it again. He won game 1. He kept us alive in game 2. We're down 0-3 without Reggie.

[font=Arial:e8f31b367f] [/font][font=Andalus:e8f31b367f] [/font][font=Arial:e8f31b367f] [/font]

I believe that Miller was number one or number 2 for the year as it related to Plus Minus stats for the Pacers this year. That means that overall we play better with him in the game. Sure he isn't the same guy he used to be, but he is still valuable.

Every Championship team has guys that don't miss win the game is on the line. They aren't always the goto guys either. Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Brad Fox... all those guys... I hate 'em! You have to have clutch guys in the game.

How about Free throws? If you have a defensive technical with 2 minutes left in the game and need to put somebody at the line, how comfortable are you with the ball in Reggie's hands? I'm extremely comfortable, and there isn't a close second place person I'd pick on our team.

The sad thing is that I don't think many people realize how much Reggie has deferred the ball this year. He can still score and shows us in clips. He's a bit of a streaky shoote, so if he doesn't have many shots (ie 7) then he will either look great or terrible. You also have to remember that he naturally shoots a naturally lower overall percentage b/c he shoots so many threes. 30% 3 pt shooting is more efficient than 40% 2 pt shooting.

He's lost a step, he's more of a defensive liability on defense than he once was, and he is a pretty old dude to be playing. However, he contributes night in and night out and I will be a sad man when he hangs 'em up.

The most popular person on a football team is the backup quarterback, and the same concept is true in basketball.
    "When you can fall for chains of silver you can fall for chains of gold
    You can fall for pretty strangers and the promises they hold
    You promised me everything you promised me thick and thin
    Now you just say oh romeo yeah you know I used to have a scene with him" Dire Straits

Mood

I forgot how many chamionships has Reggie Miller Brought the Pacers ? All we have is great memories of what coulda , should been..where has Reggie Miller been when this Pacers Team needed him Most ?

I could argue back and forth all day , could , shoulda woulda , what if we don't have reggie..etc. But what If we Have a productive player ( insert name of favorite SG) We could easily be up 3-0

It seems like Everyone is Still waiting for Reggie to save us and I hate to say it , but if we win this series it will not because of Reggie Miller , we have alot of talent on our bench and were sitting here pissing it all away on one more Chance for a Miller moment and there is no promise we will have the same oppritunties next year that we had this year.

Sorry if some disagree but this is 30 years of frustration and heartbreak and I dunno about anyone else but I am tired of finishing 2nd best year after year.

The Pacers are a better team with Reggie on the floor.

Banned

Not always. Sometimes, maybe, but not always. And I would definitely say they are not a better team when he plays 35 minutes. This past season the Pacers have been most effective when Reggie plays 23-28 minutes.

Next year, if he plays, I think his most effective role will be as a 15-20 minute player.

I think you're living in the past, or you are not ready to accept the inevitable.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Buck, Reggie has been my favorite Pacer for 15 years. I've said exactly what your are saying all year long. Reggie's mere presencse stretches the defense.

But to say that the Pacers are better with Reggie on the floor simply isn't true any longer. I believe it would be more accurate to state that the Pacers are a better team with a shooting guard in the lineup who is shooting and making perimeter shots.

Let's face it. If we were forced to choose only one thing right now in the series with Detroit that might possibly have us up 3-0 rather than down 2-1 it would be having a player at shooting guard who is shooting and making a decent percentage of his perimeter shots.

In an earlier thread that I posted in today, I stated that this team needs a big man. And it does. But right now if I had to choose either a more proficient shooting guard or a bigger, better center in our series with Detroit, I think I'd go with the SG.

Having someone, even Artest, hit some outside shots would have made all the difference in the world in our ability to work the paint. Right now, because we have no one hitting from the perimeter, we are allowing Detroit to constantly trap the ball and wreak general havoc on our post players. They aren't forced to play most of our perimeter players honestly, They only have to rush the perimeter player shooting the ball or receiving the pass.

So no, we are not better with Reggie in the lineup, unless he is hitting the outside shot. If he's not hitting his shots, then I'd just as soon have Freddie on the floor at this time. He is more capable of slashing to the basket when his defender recovers to him. Freddie is also a better all-around defender than Reggie. So right now, if Reggie's not hitting, I'd go to Freddie.

Maybe some people would rather have a player who makes 6-7 and misses the game winning shot, but I would rather have one who goes 1-7 and makes the winning shot.

If Reggie is the only one who can stretch the defense, and he obviously does if you watch the game, I don't know how high up it is on Brown's list but they are closing out on Reggie every second of the game, then bringing in a player like Jones is just going to cramp things further for players like Oneal. Bender and Croshere are the only other players that even post a consistent three point threat, and for some strange reason, Bender keeps seeing less and less playing time.

And everybody whining about the Pacers being so much better without Reggie will get their wish in a couple of years. If these young guys are so much better, then they should at least be able to get the Pacers into the Eastern Conference Finals 4-5 times, into the NBA finals at least more than once, and win it all for certain. Why complain now when the future is so rich with opportunity? I just hope they don't end up like the Knicks who were so certain for greatness after getting an aging Ewing out of the way and went on to disappear from the playoff picture.

Where's Fire the Coach? I think his answer to this is probably closest to the bone.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

now the question is.... how quickly will you guys forget this game by Reggie?

6 for 7 - 3 for 4 on threes - 15 points.

this is also big because it will make the pistons come out and be all over reggie the rest of the series - spreading the floor for everyone else.
    great timing.

Mood

now the question is.... how quickly will you guys forget this game by Reggie?

6 for 7 - 3 for 4 on threes - 15 points.

this is also big because it will make the pistons come out and be all over reggie the rest of the series - spreading the floor for everyone else.

all this means is game 5 reggie is a ghost , he wasn't the sole reason we won and there are others I would credit before Reggie.

REG GIE !!!!!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

i'm betting reggie makes you people eat your words again tonight.

i really get disgusted by you "fans" - where's your faith? .
    You don't understand. Reggie needs the Pacers Digest crowd starting to question his game. He then goes off and has a great game. It's all about helping him out!

Personally, I don't think he can string together two in a row. No way. Who's with me?

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Guy sucks after a big game!!!!!!

Mood

I am glad he scored 15 it was nice , but you can Easily credit this win to JO , Artest and Croshere also.

Calling a Player out to perform doesn't mean you lack faith or aren't a Pacer fan , there are times when a Player needs a good chewing to perform.

i'm betting reggie makes you people eat your words again tonight.

i really get disgusted by you "fans" - where's your faith? .
    You don't understand. Reggie needs the Pacers Digest crowd starting to question his game. He then goes off and has a great game. It's all about helping him out!

Personally, I don't think he can string together two in a row. No way. Who's with me?

-Bball
    Man... if THAT aint the truth...

It's ALWAYS been that way hasn't it....