Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: AK wants out of Utah

Default Re: AK wants out of Utah

This deal is on the same level of Garnett, if he starts forcing his hand he will get traded, but unlike boston i don't see the Jazz taking young people and draft picks which is a bonus for us... Jerry Sloan is not a big fan of rookies, so we do have a chance...

just depends what.... Like Seth says, Jackson and Harrington...... would have been a fair deal...

dunleavy can play.... just depends if he fits there system...

I'd trade next years draft pick for him....

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd trade next years draft pick for him....
    Are you serious?

We're finally approaching a draft where we have a shot at landing a *real* good point guard. A type of point guard that can be very effective in today's NBA.

Our team, as currently constructed, will be in the running for one of those guys if the balls land the right way (just my opinion).

On the other hand, if we were to trade away that pick for AK47, we'd be right where we always are. Right smack dab in the middle of mediocrity. He's not going to be that piece that miraculously puts us over the top and into the upper echelon of teams. Add to the fact that he's injury prone (meaning he might not even play for us the rest of the season), and has a ridiculous contract (just what we need), I see no reason for giving up that pick.

He'd be a want, not a need. We need a point guard in next years draft more than we'd need AK47 with the roster we have now.

Agree that he's not worth this year's pick.

But he's worth Dunleavy and change. And I can't imagine them getting much more than that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I just don't see it happening.

Utah is also a front-court heavy roster even outside of AK (Okur, Boozer, Harpring, Millsap, Jarron Collins). What they really need is guard help and I imagine if they are actually gonna deal the emo Ivan Drago ("If he cries, he cries"), they'll be looking for at least a Maggette/Ricky Davis-level SG out of the deal. That was their glaring weakness, and even though they did get Almond, they still need help out the perimeter Sloan doesn't seem too too high on Ronnie Brewer and probably doesn't expect big things from Ronnie Price.

I'm not sure Foster even gets on the court much. Certainly not in front of Harpring, and Millsapp is nearly his equal in the "one-trick-pony" rebounder role. As for Dunleavy, they already have him essentially...only they call him Gorden Giricek.
    i don't know about that. foster is a far superior defender to millsap. in fact, foster will probably be the best defender on the jazz outside of ak. and giricek is also in sloan's doghouse.

here's a somewhat improved deal - dunleavy, quis, and foster for ak and giricek. quis at least addresses their sg need. and even taking dun's deal into account, they save quite a bit of salary in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Plus this is yet more reason why I didn't like the GS deal. If Utah wants SG help I'd say Jackson fits that more than Dun. I'd bet you might be able to get AK for Jack/Al/Saras...or should I say could have. It was never about keeping him no matter what for me, it was about making a smart deal rather than taking whatever you could get. Of course Ike is going to be a better PF than AK, right?
    well then, we'll just wait for golden state to trade jack/al/filler for ak...

but in any case i imagine sloan would rather be getting dunleavy rather than jackson in any trade. somehow i imagine dunleavy to be the kind of player who'd get along with an old school coach like sloan.

streets ahead

fellas, simmer down about trading the 2008 1st... it won't happen because we are bound by league rules and are not allowed to trade it. otherwise, i'm fairly certain larry would have already when he was trying to get a shooter in the draft like almond. we can draft in 08 and then trade the pick but thats an entire season away and not relevant to trading for AK or Marion right now.
    This is the darkest timeline.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    fellas, simmer down about trading the 2008 1st... it won't happen because we are bound by league rules and are not allowed to trade it. otherwise, i'm fairly certain larry would have already when he was trying to get a shooter in the draft like almond. we can draft in 08 and then trade the pick but thats an entire season away and not relevant to trading for AK or Marion right now.
    The rule states that you can't trade two consecutive 1st rounders. Since we currently have a pick in the 2009 draft we would be allowed to trade this pick. We could not trade this years pick because of the Al trade.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    The rule states that you can't trade two consecutive 1st rounders. Since we currently have a pick in the 2009 draft we would be allowed to trade this pick. We could not trade this years pick because of the Al trade.
    Right, we can trade 2009's 1st, but not 2008, which is what I thought (2008) they were talking about?

Mood

I was under the impression that since in two years we have two picks we can trade one of them and essentially still have one in two years. Not being able to trade the 2008 terminated after the 2007 draft. But I am not entirely sure if when the two year prohibition starts and ceases.

The rule is that you cannot trade consecutive FUTURE picks. If you have multiple 1st rounders, you cannot make trades such that in 2 consecutive FUTURE drafts you have no 1st round picks.

Once the 2007 draft was over, trading the 2008 1st round pick became allowed.

If they were to trade the 2008 1st round pick, then they could not trade the 2009 1st round pick until after the 2008 draft, etc.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    The rule is that you cannot trade consecutive FUTURE picks. If you have multiple 1st rounders, you cannot make trades such that in 2 consecutive FUTURE drafts you have no 1st round picks.

Once the 2007 draft was over, trading the 2008 1st round pick became allowed.

If they were to trade the 2008 1st round pick, then they could not trade the 2009 1st round pick until after the 2008 draft, etc.
    thank you. is there a source

http://www.armchairgm.com/index.php?title=NBA_Draft

...league rules prohibit a team from trading away future first-round picks in consecutive years. This rule was created partially as a reaction to the practices of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the early 1980s. Ted Stepien, who owned the team from 1980 to 1983, made a series of trades for players of questionable value that cost the team several years of first-round picks. The trades nearly destroyed the franchise; the NBA pressured Stepien into selling the team, and in order to get a solid local owner (Gordon Gund), the league had to sweeten the deal by giving the Cavaliers several future bonus draft picks.

Note, however, that this rule only requires each team to have a first-round pick, not necessarily their pick.

Mood

thank you

OK that makes sense. I mistakenly thought you couldn't trade your first rounder 2 years in a row at all. This makes more sense.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    OK that makes sense. I mistakenly thought you couldn't trade your first rounder 2 years in a row at all. This makes more sense.
    that was my understanding too. thanks tom & co.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Where exactly do you think we will have a draft pick next year ?

nbadraft.net has us at 11 and that’s properly a fair estimate and has us taking a 7’2 Center

Around Picks 8-14 2008 Draft

Eric Gordon 6-4 220 PG/SG Indiana Fr.

Darren Collison 6-1 170 PG UCLA Jr.

Jerryd Bayless 6-2 182 PG Arizona Fr.

Which of them has the most potential

Boston at two is a reach but anyways..

At eleven this year we could have taken Acie Law III..

There wasn’t many "real" Point Guards after that, that will take us to the finals this year

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    Where exactly do you think we will have a draft pick next year ?

nbadraft.net has us at 11 and thatís properly a fair estimate and has us taking a 7í2 Center

Around Picks 8-14 2008 Draft

Eric Gordon 6-4 220 PG/SG Indiana Fr.

Darren Collison 6-1 170 PG UCLA Jr.

Jerryd Bayless 6-2 182 PG Arizona Fr.

Which of them has the most potential

Boston at two is a reach but anyways..

At eleven this year we could have taken Acie Law III..

There wasnít many "real" Point Guards after that, that will take us to the finals this year

IIRC NBADRAFT currently shows the teams drafting in the 2006 order. It'll change once the season starts and a standing is established.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

thank you for that clarification IG, makes sense with some of the rankings, but regardless where does most of the board expect us to end up and get a draft pick

last years result

Central W L PCT GB CONF DIV HOME ROAD L 10 STREAK

Indianao 35 47 0.427 18.0 25-27 8-8 22-19 13-28 4-6 L 4

I didn't think the Jazz stood a chance at landing an all star caliber player for AK until Marion spoke up. That's probably too easy for either team to pass up. Marion has more value the AK, but I don't see either team getting a better player. Maybe the Lakers can work something out first. We deserve to come out on the winning end of a fire sale some day.