Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AK wants out of Utah

Default Re: AK wants out of Utah

I don't know why but I have this gut feeling we will pursue this.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

it is highly unlikely

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well keeping our depth chart in mind, there could be an attractive trade we could pursue. We could do a 3 team trade sending Troy Murphy to the Clippers, along with Owens, we send 1'st rd pick and and Darrell Armstrong to Utah for AK47. The different lineups we could create could be dangerous. think of it, we could have JO,AK,DG,MD,and JT with a dangerous bench of Foster, Rush, Diogu, Williams, and Diener. This could be an easy 55 win team in the east this year.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

I just don't see the bang for the buck in AK. He would help a lot on D, but not enough to justify the price. If we tried him at the 3 our outside shooting would suffer even more then with Dun. I don't like him at he 4 with J.O. and Granger either. I think he'll be a great player again, but I just don't think he fits in here. I think they're going to have a hard time getting value for him just like we did with Artest. In AK's case it will just be due to so few teams placing that much value on what he brings, especially coming off a bad year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't see the bang for the buck in AK.
    Because there isn't any. Of course, the same is true of Dunleavy and Murphy.

I think they're going to have a hard time getting value for him just like we did with Artest.
    All the more reason for us to be involved. About time we came out on top of a deal like this.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    All the more reason for us to be involved. About time we came out on top of a deal like this.
    How'd that work out for the Kings though? Its karma man, its gonna get us all.

[QUOTE=Anthem;598355]Because there isn't any. Of course, the same is true of Dunleavy and Murphy.
    QUOTE]

I agree that Dun, and Murphy offer the same liability. AK makes almost as much as those 2 combined. I think any trade involving us giving up a 1st rounder is nuts. I don't see the Jazz doing any better then getting another overpaid player like Dun, or Murphy with some filler. This may sound crazy, but do you think AK makes this team that much better then Dun, at least enough that we should tie up that much salary. He adds some D, but he's a poor rebounder, and about even on scoring. AK averaged 4 ppg less then Dun last year, but I think he'd average about the same as Dun would in our system. The thing is he makes us weaker in an area that we need to improve in which is shooting. I'd go with Dun, Tinsley, Shawne, and DA for AK, and Deron but they'd never go for that.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[quote=Pacerized;598375]
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Because there isn't any. Of course, the same is true of Dunleavy and Murphy.
    QUOTE]

I agree that Dun, and Murphy offer the same liability. AK makes almost as much as those 2 combined. I think any trade involving us giving up a 1st rounder is nuts. I don't see the Jazz doing any better then getting another overpaid player like Dun, or Murphy with some filler. This may sound crazy, but do you think AK makes this team that much better then Dun, at least enough that we should tie up that much salary. He adds some D, but he's a poor rebounder, and about even on scoring. AK averaged 4 ppg less then Dun last year, but I think he'd average about the same as Dun would in our system. The thing is he makes us weaker in an area that we need to improve in which is shooting. I'd go with Dun, Tinsley, Shawne, and DA for AK, and Deron but they'd never go for that.
    Offensively I do not think we lose anything. If Ak47 is confident and comfortable in this system, he will produce. I don't see him coming in and jacking 200 3pt shots. That is not his game. Rebounding we would be a lot better. Defensively we would move closer to the top. Did you see the way AK47 destroyed Jackson in the playoffs. There are two sides of basketball. Offense and Defense. Adding him will not detract from both but only make it better. Worse case scenario is we buy him out like the Jazz might do anyway and he is out of the NBA.

If the P's want to do this they may have just what it takes. AK is a good player with a bad contract, and we have 3 of those to offer in Dun, Murph, and Tins. There are a lot of trade scenarios that would work in a 2,3, or 4 player trade in which we could get AK, and Williams or AK and Gireck. If the Suns still have any interest in a trade involving Marion they're the clear cut winner. They could really leverage a lot from Utah in such a trade now.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    If the P's want to do this they may have just what it takes. AK is a good player with a bad contract, and we have 3 of those to offer in Dun, Murph, and Tins. There are a lot of trade scenarios that would work in a 2,3, or 4 player trade in which we could get AK, and Williams or AK and Gireck. If the Suns still have any interest in a trade involving Marion they're the clear cut winner. They could really leverage a lot from Utah in such a trade now.
    are you suggesting that we could trade for deron williams? much less AK and deron?

we don't have anything close to the right pieces to get deron from utah. at this point i think short of trading for kobe or lebron, deron is untouchable. the pacers have a better shot of trading for kobe than deron williams.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    are you suggesting that we could trade for deron williams? much less AK and deron?

we don't have anything close to the right pieces to get deron from utah. at this point i think short of trading for kobe or lebron, deron is untouchable. the pacers have a better shot of trading for kobe than deron williams.
    Yeah...basically Deron is already one of the best PGs in the NBA and he's only getting better. Those types of players don't come cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post

I'm sure you're right in this but I said in the first post that they would never go for that. Although I wouldn't put Derons' value as high as you do.
    Gireck on the other hand fills out a trade and they may be willing to throw him in. I think anything they do to move Ak now will involve taking back a bad contract, &/or throwing in another player.

I hope we get AK! our defense would be sick and he'd be a shooter in JOB's system!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    I hope we get AK! our defense would be sick and he'd be a shooter in JOB's system!
    Unfortunately, I can improve our defense and I would be a shooter in JOB's system as well.

They wouldn't trade us Deron if we included Jermaine. Let's not get carried away.

I still think an AK trade could be beneficial for both teams.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sounds like AK47 wants to play in Russia. Maybe he isn't motivated to play in the NBA anymore. If your trading some of the supposed bad contracts like Dun, Murph, Tins to get him fine. I wouldn't give up Granger, Diogu or next years 1st round pick. I'd consider moving Shawne in light of recent off court issues.

Speaking of Utah, I have always liked Dee Brown and apparently he is expendable and is going to turkey to play? I suspect he'd rather be a Pacer or in the NBA from what rotoworld reports. I am unsure of what the status of his rights with Utah are.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Dun and Foster for AK works, gives them a guy more natural at the SF than AK has been, puts AK in Jeff's place with the Pacers, helps their salary situation, helps the Pacers SF jam situation.

But the questions then probably become "do you have to add in a first round pick" and "would you add in a first round pick". His threats to walk give the Pacers leverage but I'm not sure it would be enough to avoid adding a pick, which is something I'm not sure they would want to do.

Honestly though, isn't this AK situation a good litmus for Bird's "we are going to win now" attitude? If that's true then you'd move the pick, if not then it suggests more of a rebuild. That's if anything close to the above catches Utah's interest of course.

I just don't see it happening.

Utah is also a front-court heavy roster even outside of AK (Okur, Boozer, Harpring, Millsap, Jarron Collins). What they really need is guard help and I imagine if they are actually gonna deal the emo Ivan Drago ("If he cries, he cries"), they'll be looking for at least a Maggette/Ricky Davis-level SG out of the deal. That was their glaring weakness, and even though they did get Almond, they still need help out the perimeter Sloan doesn't seem too too high on Ronnie Brewer and probably doesn't expect big things from Ronnie Price.

I'm not sure Foster even gets on the court much. Certainly not in front of Harpring, and Millsapp is nearly his equal in the "one-trick-pony" rebounder role. As for Dunleavy, they already have him essentially...only they call him Gorden Giricek.

Maggette actually seems to make a lot of sense, the 2 is their weakest position and they could use a shooter/penetrator. Plus a Brand/AK frontline would be tough, when Brand gets healthy that could be a good team.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Maggette actually seems to make a lot of sense, the 2 is their weakest position and they could use a shooter/penetrator. Plus a Brand/AK frontline would be tough, when Brand gets healthy that could be a good team.
    magette would make some sense but the jazz really need shooting in their wings which magette doesn't offer. plus it doesn't make sense for the clippers beyond this year. they've got a big hole at PF with brand down, but when he comes back and you're still committed to Kaman at C and you're putting AK at SF again.

ricky davis in theory would make more sense unless you factor in how jerry sloan feels about him. (redd for the record i know you said a ricky davis type player)

Another interesting truehoop article, Deron Williams rips into AK, essentially saying he doesn't work hard and he wouldn't pass to him. Seems like AK is going somewhere, if not here.
    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_6970226
    Quote Originally Posted by truehoop
    Deron Williams says Andrei Kirilenko doesn't work as hard as other Jazz players. Williams admits that he is less likely to pass to Kirilenko if another player is open. Weird to see players ripping teammates. Feels like the Kirilenko vs. Jazz divide runs pretty deep.

I just hope it gets sorted out soon as i traded for AK last year and this will be devasting if he leaves for russia which is doubtful.

I can see maybe Charlotte or Golden State making a run for him... Nuggets as wild cards..... tough to say..

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    Nuggets as wild cards.....
    I would love to see the Nuggets trade Iverson for AK.

Just the thought of Jerry Sloan coaching AI makes me giggle.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Just the thought of Jerry Sloan coaching AI makes me giggle.
    same goes for k-mart

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Good point Redd. Of course some if it depends on their situation. It's not like the Pacers were in the market for a Scot Pollard type prior to the Miller deal. Sometimes you just want something vs. nothing, if for no other reason than to open up future trade opportunities.

I also would like to think/hope that Dunleavy is better as a SF than Giricek, who is really a SG at 6'6". They were trying to play AK at SF and if he goes they lose a lot of SF minutes. That's where Dun would help.

In total they would still reduce their payroll even in taking on Dun's deal, and Foster could still net them a backup SG type if they talk to a team like Houston.

I'm not calling it a great deal for them, but I do think it's a better option than just letting AK walk. Let's face it, we know from experience that this is a tough position to deal from and that there is little chance AK is returning to Utah.

I'm not all that sold that AK is right for Indy, especially given Deron's comments. But he can play defense, that's for sure.

Plus this is yet more reason why I didn't like the GS deal. If Utah wants SG help I'd say Jackson fits that more than Dun. I'd bet you might be able to get AK for Jack/Al/Saras...or should I say could have. It was never about keeping him no matter what for me, it was about making a smart deal rather than taking whatever you could get. Of course Ike is going to be a better PF than AK, right?
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 09-25-2007 at 11:02 AM.