Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AK wants out of Utah

Default Re: AK wants out of Utah

I think Danny/AK/JO would be interesting to say the least.

I only see him being a legitimate 4 in a system like Phoenix or Golden State. His skills at the 3 practically mirror those of Gerald Wallace and that is certainly G-Dub's natural position. His weak side shot blocking and individual defense is always excellent (see round 2 of last year's playoffs... ugh), but dude is way too absorbed in himself and lacks the confidence to be worth all the money. Additionally, having him as a top offensive option isn't exactly ideal.

Plus, as has been stated, we ain't got any room for him and somehow I doubt this system would appeal to him. He's not a perimeter shooter in the least, and although he's usually a beast on the defensive end - not worth the risk and the contract.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's a one position player, IMO, and that's PF. His game struggles mightilly at the 3, and that, I believe, is among the reasons he wants out. You'd think AK/Boozer/Okur would be a great front court, but despite his perceived versatily, I don't think it works having him play anywhere but PF.
    this is exactly right. AK only struggled when Boozer finally got healthy and pushed him out of the four.
    This is the darkest timeline.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

we need his defense....get him LB

At this point, we need everything. Whatever we can get on the cheap (such as in situations where stars demand trades) we need to do.

Mood

Nad it seems that AK is a Bird type of player.

Talented/White/foerign

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    this is exactly right. AK only struggled when Boozer finally got healthy and pushed him out of the four.
    Although JONeal is far less of a true Low-Post player that Boozer is....I don't see how it would work with JONeal manning the paint as well.

Also.....although I am sure that the Jazz are more then happy to move him.....I don't think that they will simply give him away. Despite his rather crappy performance last season and obvious issues with management....I think that he is still a borderline All-Star type guy.

We ( much less any team ) isn't going to get a player like him without giving up something decent in return ( a la Granger or Shawne ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

check out Jo's % in the paint last year. He is not our low post stone. I can see them plying the high low. or 1-4 set, flex, etc

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    check out Jo's % in the paint last year. He is not our low post stone. I can see them plying the high low. or 1-4 set, flex, etc
    Ignoring that I don't think that we have the necessary assets to acquire a player of AK-47s caliber for the players that we have....I get the sense that he just wouldn't fit in this offense with JONeal.

It's been mentioned here before that JO'B is unyielding when it comes to running and sticking with his "4 out / 1 in" offense. With a player like JONeal and any player that is better suited as a "non-perimeter' offensive type player ( like AK-47 ), wouldn't we have to employ more of a "3 out / 2 in" offense? This is something that I just don't see JO'B doing.

Although it would be nice to get 2 players like JONeal and AK47 on the team....I just don't see it happening in real life.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    also, if that happens the only shooting guard left on our roster would be rush...
    You're looking at it wrong. Trading Dun might be the only possible way to make sure we don't start him at SG this year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I agree that Granger/AK47/JO is an intriguing frontline, but it could also fail miserably. Needless to say I am not sold on AK's skills matching up with his contract.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I am not sold on AK's skills matching up with his contract.
    I feel exactly the same way about Dunleavy and Murphy.

EDIT: Except moreso.
    Last edited by Anthem; 09-19-2007 at 03:50 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

He's overated. He only averaged 9 points last year and even in the Utah Jazz system he can only block little guys. Lebron and other guys dunk on him at will.

This guy went from an up and coming allstar to a guy that is way overpaid.

At one point I thought they were going to build around him as one of their main guys. It weird how fast he's went down.

He the classic "great player on a bad team" phenom. In his 1st two seasons, he was a role player on an average playoff team. His 3rd, 4th & 5th season he was the stud on non-playoff teams. His 6th season (last year) back to a role player on a playoff team.

Well, AK is a fighter and a team leader (i mean - when he is required to do that, he can). He's a class act, too. He's kind of my "enemy", but unlike Parker he doesn't belitle oponents and gets a lot of respect. And the AK for Dunleavy idea isn't real or realistic - AK is a winner (i mean his personality - he would do anything to win) and Dunleavy is a role player. We all witnesed that - i see no chance he will surprise me...
    That said - i don't believe there are possibilities that AK lands here, but if a mirracle will occure, i'd be happy to see him playing with Pacers.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    He the classic "great player on a bad team" phenom. In his 1st two seasons, he was a role player on an average playoff team. His 3rd, 4th & 5th season he was the stud on non-playoff teams. His 6th season (last year) back to a role player on a playoff team.
    I think leading your team to a European championship should count for something. That is, his problem is not mental or that he can't handle being the focal point. I just think its been the particular make-up of those teams.

He's a lot like Shawn Marion in that he's a "superstar role-player," a guy whose skills and versatility garner attention and a big contract, but who isn't a traditional NBA superstar and thus always has this tension between what he's good at doing and what he feels he ought to do.

I don't think the problem is so much what position he plays, although that seems to be a popular sentiment, I think that Boozer, Williams, and Okur are all better than he is on the offensive end, and he's left to drift, so he loses his head easily, and perhaps he tries to force stuff thats not there, gets down on himself, and loses his head. And that can kill a defense/energy guy.

You know, the more I think about it the more he reminds me of Ron-Ron, that tension between what he can do on defense/in transition and what he tries to do on offense. Except Andrei is not as good of a perimeter one-on-one stopper but is a better helpside and transition defender. Hey, we were a great team with Ronnie before he went nuts, I think it might actually work.

edit: on the other hand, couldn't you find a guy who can do 80% of what Andrei does for 20% of the price? Or maybe you can't, obviously Larry hasn't done it so far.
    Last edited by bulldog; 09-19-2007 at 05:05 PM.

AK coming out of the Euro champs is not the same player who entered it, so the timing of his announcement is not by hazard.

He proved somthing to himself - being able to lead a team to championship, overcoming superstars and better teams, playing excellent on both side of the court.

Mind you - this is the first time he wins a major European tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I think leading your team to a European championship should count for something.

Sarunas Jasikevicius

AK's preformance last couple of seasons has more to do with his circumstances than his ablility. If there is a chance of pairing him with JO we should.

Last time we paired JO with an All star (who wasn't a shell of himself) we were championship contenders. AK could be like Ron with different mental problems.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I think leading your team to a European championship should count for something. That is, his problem is not mental or that he can't handle being the focal point. I just think its been the particular make-up of those teams.

He's a lot like Shawn Marion in that he's a "superstar role-player," a guy whose skills and versatility garner attention and a big contract, but who isn't a traditional NBA superstar and thus always has this tension between what he's good at doing and what he feels he ought to do.
    i think thats pretty accurate.

I don't think the problem is so much what position he plays, although that seems to be a popular sentiment, I think that Boozer, Williams, and Okur are all better than he is on the offensive end, and he's left to drift, so he loses his head easily, and perhaps he tries to force stuff thats not there, gets down on himself, and loses his head. And that can kill a defense/energy guy.
    there could be a little truth to that offensively, but don't discount the being out of position. AK has trouble guarding SFs on the perimeter, given his strengths defensively and his wingspan, he's much better at guarding 4s where he can stay near the paint and block shots and steal from slower bigs. defense leads to a lot of AKs offense.

the other thing to point out is that pace is also important. there was basically one time (one series really) in which AK looked like his old self: against golden state. golden state was able to force their tempo on the jazz but the jazz, thanks in part to AK. playing at a faster pace plays into his game. now o'brien isn't going to be running like nellie or d'antoni, but given the 3 second rule o'brien has talked about, it would play into AKs strengths probably more than Sloan can with Boozer and Williams as the offensive focus.

You know, the more I think about it the more he reminds me of Ron-Ron, that tension between what he can do on defense/in transition and what he tries to do on offense. Except Andrei is not as good of a perimeter one-on-one stopper but is a better helpside and transition defender. Hey, we were a great team with Ronnie before he went nuts, I think it might actually work.
    interesting, hadn't thought about that exactly... he in a lot of ways reminds me of what i wish feisty was (defense, plus hops, plus minimally competent offensively)
    This is the darkest timeline.

Harrison, Daniels, Dunleavy FOR AK, Morris Almond

Talk about a dream trade.

In the fact that I'd love it, and they'd never do it. I dunno, maybe consider adding Shawne.

Um, wasn't AK the key to the win over GS? That's gotta count for something. Without him, they don't get to the WCFs.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Um, wasn't AK the key to the win over GS? That's gotta count for something. Without him, they don't get to the WCFs.
    AK is a very good counter against a small ball playing team like last year's Warriors. He was also good at the tail end of the series vs. the Rockets.

He'd be a good pickup for the Warriors if only to avoid playing against him and he'd fit well into Nellie's system.

But he's just too damn expensive. Most teams will have a hard time being able to afford him.

I think we should move murph...Dun and w/e else they want not granger tinsley jo and lets do it!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER