Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

  1. #1
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,332
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Lifted from RealGM http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...lcome_a_trade/

    --------------------------------------

    Would Marion Now Welcome A Trade?
    September 25, 2007 - 11:20 am
    Arizona Republic -
    According to several Suns sources, Shawn Marion seems to be unhappy that the team will not talk about a contract extension.

    Apparently Marion wants $60 million over three years. Marion, already the highest-paid Suns player, will make $16.4 million this season and $17.8 million for 2008-09.

    Trade rumors might not bother Marion much anymore, because there are indications that he would welcome a deal.

    The two top trade possibilities involve Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko, who is even more disgruntled with his team, and Los Angeles Lakers forward Lamar Odom and a teammate, possibly forward Brian Cook. [READ]

    BTW, Edit: 20Mil/year for Shawn Marion!!! Is he flippin' NUTS???
    Last edited by indygeezer; 09-25-2007 at 04:04 PM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  2. #2

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    A Marion for AK-47 trade would be good for both sides, I think.

  3. #3
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,796

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Dude, if you can't make that guy happy with being the highest paid player on the team, and arguably the most utilized player on the team, what on earth would it take to make him happy? Are you kidding me? He's not happy in Phoenix? Maybe the Lakers might be another option, but I'm constantly puzzled by Marion's reported discontentment with his situation.

  4. #4
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BTW, Edit: 20Mil/year for Shawn Marion!!! Is he flippin' NUTS???
    Close, how about:

    Twenty mil per year?
    For Shawn "Matrix" Marion?
    Is he flippin' NUTS???
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  5. #5
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,599

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    If he gets traded he'll produce 65% of what he does now cuz of the Nash factor, imho.

  6. #6
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,771

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A Marion for AK-47 trade would be good for both sides, I think.
    i can't imagine the jazz would be willing to give him that type of extention. the lakers make more sense for marion but i'm not convinced odom would be good for phoenix.

    cleveland seems like it could be a possibility since it hasn't made a bibby deal work this summer. maybe a deal like

    gooden, marshall, jones, snow
    marion, banks

    cleveland gets another star to play with lebron, a defensively oriented player with offensive gifts including 3pt shooting, a solid defending PG. phoenix gets a PF that can defend, and depth which they are sorely lacking. bonus all four players have short contracts and they get rid of banks' 4yr deal.

    a very strong possibility i think could be miami.

    williams, walker
    marion

    phoenix gets jwill's exp. contract and a legit PG to back up nash. they get a 3pt shooter in walker and given the team option in his deal which makes it more reasonable. they get their financial light at the end of the tunnel and fill a couple of big problems. miami desperately needs help besides wade and halfashaq - they need shooting with kapono gone and marion fits in defensively.

    i also think the warriors and clippers would try to get involved basing packages around harrington and maggette respectively.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  7. #7
    Member themayhem87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    wow, the whole phoenix organization would have to be hammered to do those deals....williams and walker or gooden and marshall for a four or five time all star in his prime like shawn marion... no way. LA is the only possibility. i think Utah would be a possibility, but phoenix doesn't want to risk it on kirilenko's injury history. how about marion for JO? i'd do it. u want to talk about someone who could help us out, and he's never hurt

  8. #8
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    I like Marion. But $20 million? No way.

    And people complain about JERMAINE being overpaid...
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. #9

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Wait, is this lifted from Real GM or YOIKES? The title is confusing.

  10. #10
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,332
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, is this lifted from Real GM or YOIKES? The title is confusing.


    Um..............
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  11. #11

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Um..............
    You should put a link or it will get deleted.

    Good to meet a fellow YOIKES reader.

  12. #12
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Marion is out of his mind.

    That's just simply greed right there.

  13. #13
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    I worked out a trade where we get Marion, Bynum and either Banks or Bell. I don't think we would do it unless we got Bell too, but I think if we got Bell the Lakers wouldn't do it.

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=33656

  14. #14
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    I like Marion quite a bit, just like AK, but am I the only one a little concerned about their attitudes right now? I mean if we were upset with Al's discontent, or Peja sitting in the playoffs, or Tinsley's disinterest with Rick, or Jack acting up, or Ron being Ron, why in the world would we want either of these personalities joining the team.

    I mean are there 2 better orgs out there right now? Jazz are big winners, have tons of talent and a strong coach. Suns have a double MVP, seem on the cusp of a title themselves and also have an apparently strong coach. I'll give you the Spurs as a better situation, but that's about it. I mean even Dallas has a couple of question marks, mainly with Cuban's volitile nature.

    WTF could the Pacers ever offer either of these players in terms of "better situation"?

  15. #15

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Marion as well as AK want to have a bigger role in the offense, which we can provide.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

  16. #16
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,373

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    It doesn't say he's unhappy about his role, it says he's unhappy that the Suns won't talk about a contract extension. The Pacers once had a scenario like this where management wouldn't talk about a contract extension for a couple of key players. The contract extension might've been cheaper than what they had to pay at the end of the day... and in one case the player went elsewhere anyway.

    The two players were Reggie Miller and MJax.

    I'm not sure why Phoenix wouldn't at least entertain the thought of a contract extension talk. Then again, I'm not sure why the Pacers didn't do it at the time themselves. But then later we were excited to offer an extension to Bender. And we've got Tinsley wrapped up until 2035.

    Oh well... Marion for JO? Hmmmmm... Marion seems like he might be a better fit for what JOB will want to do.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  17. #17
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Marion definitely wants a bigger role. He always has. I haven't read that book on the Suns but I've heard from various sources that Marion feels severely unappreciated.

  18. #18
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    He actually would probably make a GREAT PF for O'Brien's system; on both ends of the floor. And he'd be "The Man" here. Hmmmm.

  19. #19
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,648

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he gets traded he'll produce 65% of what he does now cuz of the Nash factor, imho.

    Marion put up the same numbers before Nash got there. I think if he became the #1 option his scoring would increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  20. #20
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,332
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marion put up the same numbers before Nash got there. I think if he became the #1 option his scoring would increase.

    Perhaps even flourish in the east? Wasn't there talk a couple of years back that he was injury prone.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  21. #21
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,771

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Quote Originally Posted by themayhem87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wow, the whole phoenix organization would have to be hammered to do those deals....williams and walker or gooden and marshall for a four or five time all star in his prime like shawn marion... no way. LA is the only possibility.
    while normally i would agree, phoenix is desperately trying to gain some financial freedom (see the kurt thomas, 06 & 07 draft day pick trades). i think miami would have to include a pick or two, i was just talking principle players.

    unless its a top-tier player like wade, lebron, kobe, KG... i don't see them wanting to take on more salary. plus the idea of getting someone as capable as JWill as Nash's backup... the suns have never had that luxury before. they won't have to burn every ounce of nash's energy in the regular season and have a championship winning PG backing him up. then you look at walker and i see tim thomas. nobody wanted thomas until he played most of a season for mike d'antoni. if you're going to get any production out of walker it'll be with that head coach.

    lets say its a trade of walker, williams, doleac, 08 1st for marion and piatkowski

    the suns roster goes from this:

    nash / banks
    bell / barbosa / strawberry / piatkowski
    diaw / hill / tucker
    marion / skinner / marks
    stoudamire

    to

    nash / williams / banks
    bell / barbosa / strawberry
    diaw / hill / tucker
    skinner / walker / marks
    stoudamire / doleac

    and then you've got $12million in exp from doleac and williams, one more year at $9mil on walker. so you're bringing in vet talent filling in the gaps in roster depth and not locking the team into any financially binds.

    so while in theory i agree with you, the suns recent financial mindset during trades made these seem reasonable.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  22. #22
    Our hero! GrangerRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    29
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    The deal for Shawn won't happen. He transfered from Vincennes (Indiana) because of the cold and how small it was. I know a guy that was his roommate at Vincennes. He wouldn't come here..sadly.

  23. #23
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,373

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The deal for Shawn won't happen. He transfered from Vincennes (Indiana) because of the cold and how small it was. I know a guy that was his roommate at Vincennes. He wouldn't come here..sadly.

    He wears #31 in honor of Reggie Miller.... You don't think he'd relish the opportunity to become the heir to Reggie's throne?

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  24. #24
    Our hero! GrangerRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    29
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Not really, but I don't think that Larry wants to give up Jermaine for him. He justs wears his number, even Reggie himself doesn't want to be here..

  25. #25
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,182

    Default Re: YOIKES: Let the Speculation Begin

    Marion's cool.

    But how can we get a good point guard out of the trade?

    We have a good PF. We need a point guard.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Similar Threads

  1. Let The Games Begin !
    By DaSMASH in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-16-2007, 01:41 AM
  2. Some Speculation
    By TheDon in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 04:20 AM
  3. speculation
    By microwave_oven in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-14-2006, 11:04 PM
  4. Let the celebrations begin!
    By Pacers#1Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 01:36 PM
  5. Speculation!
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 06:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •