Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McNabb: "Peyton (and other white QBs) doesn't get criticized as much as I do."

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default McNabb: "Peyton (and other white QBs) doesn't get criticized as much as I do."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025308

McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

ESPN.com news services

Shaun King Agrees with McNabb's Comments

African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night.

McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

In just-completed Week 2, five of the 32 teams (15.6 percent) had black starting quarterbacks.

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: McNabb: "Peyton (and other white QBs) doesn't get criticized as much as I do."

McNabb gets criticized a lot? Granted I don't live in the Philly area, but I haven't heard a whole lot of criticism other than his recent injury woes and T.O. calling him out of shape in the Super Bowl. Rush Limbaugh's stupid rant on MNF a couple years ago doesn't count.

If there's something to criticize about a QB, people will point it out. Up until the Super Bowl win, after every praise of Peyton there was the "Yeah, but..." about him not winning a big game. And there's certainly no way in hell that McNabb's been criticized more than Rex Grossman has.

And Vick got hyped up the wazoo as a QB even though his passing game left a lot to be desired. McNabb gets criticized as much as every other QB does. And if you're team isn't winning, the crosshairs are going to be on the QB or the coach more often than not, white or black. There's not much of a race card to be played here, IMO.
    Last edited by Aw Heck; 09-18-2007 at 08:00 PM.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

woman without a team

Default Re: McNabb: "Peyton (and other white QBs) doesn't get criticized as much as I do."

Other than Rush Limbaugh who recently has ever bashed black quarterbacks in general?

Perhaps that's because they haven't been playing as badly as he is.
    "It's never to late to be who you might have been" - George Eliot

Mood

Right...

Okay, here are the starting black quarterbacks.

Steve McNair - Despite his inconsistent play, poor mechanics, and poor decision making at times he is constantly getting a pass and commended for his toughness.

David Garrard - Young and raw, his play shows because of it. You really don't hear much about him at all, plus not many people know he's the starter...

Jason Campbell - (See David Garrard)

Tarvaris Jackson - (See David Garrard)

Vince Young - The next time a talking head criticizes his game, it might be the first.

And then there is McNabb...

Yeah if Peyton or Carson puked in big games, was plagued by inconsistent play throughout his career, and were currently 0-2 with a 68.8 rating they would get criticized just as much if not more than him.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who's Tarvaris Jackson play for?

And why the hell is McNabb throwing up in a big game?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Minnesota.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Mood

He's done it numerous times, not to mention even during the Super Bowl. Yeah, like I said before last year if Peyton was known to blow chunks during close games, there would be no end in sight for all the jokes and criticism.
    Last edited by Natston; 09-18-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tainted Chunky soup?

Reppin the 317

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Tainted Chunky soup?
    so true.

Mood

Race baiting FTW!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Race baiting FTW!
    Eh, my posting quality has been down, might as well blame other races and their relation to mine...

Whatever became of Byron Leftwich? I always thought he had the potential to be good. When he played the Colts he seemed to play well... nice touch on the ball.

I'm not sure why there aren't more African American quarterbacks in the NFL. I will say that many of the black quarterbacks I have seen in college, which is limited, tend to favor a run/passing attack vs. the pure drop back passing that is more customary in the NFL. I think the durability of running quarterbacks in the NFL is questioned and also the ability to run skillfully witht he increased defensive pressue at the professional level.

It would have been interesting to me to see what Antwaan Randle El would have done at the next level, and I'll keep watching Vince Young. I know I never felt secure with Young in QB spot b/c of his scrambling ability. IU has a pretty good QB in Kellen Winslow as well.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Mood

Manning doesn't get criticized because he is god on turf/grass
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    Whatever became of Byron Leftwich?
    He just got signed by Atlanta. I expect he'll be starting in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    IU has a pretty good QB in Kellen LEWIS as well.
    Fixed.

I get the feeling McNabb's been pampered his entire life. His dad's had to come to his defense multiple times, most recently when they drafted Kevin Kolb with their #1 pick. Not his agent, not his GM, not even his wife, his dad. You're 29ish Donovan, fight your own battles.

While I don't think black quarterbacks are criticized more than white QBs, I think they're often criticized in a different, sometimes more harsh way. Donovan McNabb is, when healthy, the third best quarterback in the NFL. The way he's talked about you'd think he was some back-up scrub.

I have the utmost respect for McNabb. He's a tough competitor, a great player but also a good, intelligent guy. I'm amazed that he hasn't caught on more as a fan favorite.

If this was coming from Daunte Culpepper I'd blow it off. McNabb? He's worth listening to. But I'm also extremely keen to discussing race in sports. It's one of the reasons I'm so drawn to sports; the contrast of largely black leagues with largely white fan bases. It seems like most people don't want to discuss it, or brush it aside but it's always a topic I like to discuss.

it's on HBO right now, FYI.

basically the whole case is being built around his childhood as a black QB, Rush Limbaugh, and Terrell Owens.

This bit about the guy at the NAACP essentially calling him an uncle tom for choosing to be a pocket passer (like white QBs) has some merit, IMO. That really wasn't fair.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-18-2007 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    it's on HBO right now, FYI.

basically the whole case is being built around his childhood as a black QB, Rush Limbaugh, and Terrell Owens.

This bit about the guy at the NAACP essentially calling him an uncle tom for choosing to be a pocket passer (like white QBs) has some merit, IMO. That really wasn't fair.
    I find it hilarious that anyone would try to use race to constrain the type of "style" (as in pocket passer or more of a running QB) that a QB can play. There is striking evidence that African Americans are in some ways faster and more athletic than whites, which is shown by the incredibly large number of black DB's and WR's.

There isn't anything "black" however about having exceptional skills as a mobile QB at the expense of having a strong football IQ and being able to administer a complex passing game, no matter what the NAACP guy wants to say.

Eventually, a guy (most likely black) is going to come along with the mobility of Vick and an arm and football IQ comparable to Peyton Manning, and be the best QB of all time or at least rank right up there. It may be Jamarcus Russell, or it may be someone who won't play in the NFL for another 10-50 years, but I think it will happen. McNabb and his 68.8 ranking just ain't that good and he will pale in comparison and in level of hype to some future black QB's.

Besides, Vick was probably the most overhyped, overrated QB of all time.

How many ridiculous "Peyton can't win the big game" jabs did we hear? Criticism follows everybody. I don't know how much of it you can attribute to race. Fans are pretty amiable when the team is winning.

It's not that you're black Donovan...it's that you play in Philly. Those fans are brutal. And if you remember..they booed Santa Clause, and he's white!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    It's not that you're black Donovan...it's that you play in Philly. Those fans are brutal. And if you remember..they booed Santa Clause, and he's white!
    Exactly.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    Another myth created by the White Devil.

All quarterbacks are criticized. There has always been a ton of pressure and criticism on all QB's. They get more than any other athlete in sports. Randall Cunningham was like a god in almost everyone's eyes, so I don't buy the race thing. As for Peyton, he is better than any QB to ever play the game...or he will be by the time he's done. Of course he will be getting accolades. However, almost all other quarterbacks can become a dog very quickly and easily. Sure, criticism's no fun. The difference is, some people can take it and others cannot.

I didn't know Joey Harrington was black?

I believe white running backs are under more pressure to prove they are not slow.

We just had two African American coaches in the Super Bowl. Donovan may want to talk with Coach Dungy and Smith on how to handle pressure.
    Last edited by RWB; 09-19-2007 at 07:49 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....