Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

  1. #1
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,549

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Pardon my pessimism. After all, this may be more doom-and-gloom than the situation warrants.

    But I doubt it.

    I sit here, having returned to my home state after 23 years away, to find that my childhood favorite team is probably going to be moved out of the city within 5 years.

    It's not because of idiotic business practices or because of demands the city can't (or isn't willing to) answer.

    It's because the players on the team no longer have the same standards as the part of the community affluent enough to support that team.

    In the long run, for those players this is just a place to stop off. They don't care that they are in a very conservative city in a conservative part of the country. It's probably true that most of them would really rather the team was in Las Vegas, anyway.

    As I listened to the radio last night, caller after caller talked about the Pacers being a joke and that they really didn't care if the team was here or not. It's hard to believe this is the same city that rallied to save the team in 1977 and years later packed Market Square Arena to cheer the Simons' purchase.

    Now, we're looking at a next generation of Simons who have publicly stated they have little interest in owning a basketball team, an actively hostile "fan" base, and an antagonistic local and national media. If this isn't a formula for moving a 40-year-old franchise to another city, I don't know what is.

    I may not be happy with what the players are doing, I may not be happy with management moves, but the Pacers are now and have been my team for as long as they've been around. Should they become the Las Vegas Pacers (ok, after the ref scandal it'll probably be the Oklahoma City Pacers - chew on THAT, urban culture fans), I'll have lost a significant part of my childhood and my state.

    Sure, on the level of urban problems like starvation, homelessness, and teen pregnancy this isn't even a blip. But sometimes solving these things requires a certain municipal sense of self, a confidence that comes from having arts and sports and other major leisure and cultural achievements. Where will we be when the cycle rolls around and the Colts stink again?

    There is little current management can do other than ride it out and hope that things begin to go their way. Long suspensions on arrest simply are neither fair nor contractual. Dumping all players with known problems for players with publicly spotless records isn't an option - anyone who thinks this fan base would support a bunch of nice guy losers any more strongly is fooling themselves. We had nice guy losers once - and curtains around Market Square Arena. Given the attitude of many professional players, new blood wouldn't guarantee a lack of problems anyway.

    I'm not sure I see a solution other than some kind of miracle NBA championship that is about as likely as NASCAR drivers defecting en masse to the IRL.

    Waiting is hard.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Your first mistake was listening to a radio show. Your second mistake was listening to a radio show where listeners call in. Your third mistake was listening to a radio show where callers call in and thinking that a few callers speak for the Indianapolis population at large.

    I gave up listening to any local radio call in show (especially after something like this happens). My life is just better this way.

    My guess is those who were saying that they don't care if the team is here in the city or not were never Pacers fans and never cared for them and are using this opportunity to be critical of them

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    557

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    I agree with a great deal of what you wrote, BillS - I too go way back with the Pacers (saw many a game at the Fairgrounds), and therefore well before the Colts. In a nutshell, the Pacers have had an incredible streak of bad luck the past three years. This has coincided with the rise of the Colt bandwagoners. And as far as radio is concerned, consider the source. Rare is the caller to just about any show, but ESPECIALLY sports, who has any intelligent, well thought-out opinions to share.
    Our luck simply HAS to change at some point! But you are correct - it is hard as hell to wait.

  4. #4
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,996

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your first mistake was listening to a radio show. Your second mistake was listening to a radio show where listeners call in. Your third mistake was listening to a radio show where callers call in and thinking that a few callers speak for the Indianapolis population at large.

    I gave up listening to any local radio call in show (especially after something like this happens). My life is just better this way.

    My guess is those who were saying that they don't care if the team is here in the city or not were never Pacers fans and never cared for them and are using this opportunity to be critical of them

    UB... Those voices have grown too loud and numnerous to ignore. I hear it all the time (no, not in my head) from people saying the same things if they see me reading a Pacer article or checking the forum. These may not be the diehards, but many are the people who would attend a few games here and there. And of them, some would get hooked. Now an atmosphere is being created where it's more acceptable to be 'anti-Pacer' than anything because of what some percieve a 'pro-Pacer' stance would be saying.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  5. #5
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    The voices couldn't tell you the 6th man for the Pacers last year, many don't know who Ike is, some probably think Stephen Jackson is still on the roster.

    I'm with Buck, big mistake listening to the people who make calling in to rant a priority. The Pacers were unloved in 91, sans criminal issues. The common thread in all lack of interest periods with both the Pacers and Colts is LOSING TOO MUCH, not morality issues.


    The reason they view the Pacers as thugs is because that's the ONLY NEWS from the team they hear at all. Travis Diener = thug, Mike Dunleavy = gangster, JO = bar brawl member, Rush = guy who knifed someone. That's the POV you are listening to with those types of callers.

    It's a really wide brush they paint with. If Shawne dropped 25 in the 4th to beat the Pistons this wouldn't make a blip on the radar and a lot of outraged fans would be on the "he's being treated unfairly" side of this instead. Why? Becuase the only image they would have of him prior to being pulled over was "playoff hero". They'd buy into that just as easily as the thug stuff, with no regard for any of the details behind it, like whether he really was a good guy or a thug. He scored 25 = good guy hero.

    Or did I miss where the Colts became thugs after Doss' shooting spree?


    These may not be the diehards, but many are the people who would attend a few games here and there. And of them, some would get hooked.
    Same people that didn't go to Colts games and if the saw you reading something about Manning would say "oh, he's a big choker, they'll never win with him as QB." Why? Again that's all that's been spoon-fed to their basically non-interested brains.

    If we were to joke with one of these people about all the 3pt shots the Pacers will take this year they'd look at you like you were from Mars with a big "what???" on their lips. They have zero insight into the team and that would be true even if Rio, 8 Seconds and Shawne never happened. No wins = no interest. They'd just have some other negative caricature for the team, maybe "always injured" or "big chokers" or "they suck" and they'd still think your interest was stupid.


    Some of them even think you are stupid to pay for season tickets in a WINNING season because all NBA players are overpaid and it's all BS and why can't I get a beer for less than $6 because I need 3 to really get my buzz on and enjoy the game.

    Also I'm a die-hard and had trouble stomaching the type of ball I saw played post GS-trade last year, I have little doubt that if a casual fan tuned in he didn't get hooked. Again, true even without 8 Seconds and Shawne this year.


    What the team needs is some OTHER PRESS to drown this crap out, like say some winning. Big wins make big news. Then these fans are hearing more than just negative stories. It's not that there is an endless stream of outrageous behavior nearly as much as it is that there is virtually a wasteland of non-stories about the Pacers which makes the 1 or 2 negative ones stand out like an oasis in the desert. It's the only thing out there right now. It's not a forest of trees, but relative to everything else it seems like it.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 09-14-2007 at 12:49 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    UncleBuck. I think you are great. You like the NBA almost without qualification, and you are determined whatever happens to shovel a large amount of your cash in that direction. I like a guy who knows what he likes.

    But, not many people are as devoted as you are. If the Pacers are going to stand or fall depending on what you consider a real fan, then they most certainly will fall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My guess is those who were saying that they don't care if the team is here in the city or not were never Pacers fans and never cared for them and are using this opportunity to be critical of them

    If you are talking about people who have never been to a game in their lives, then I understand your point. (though I wonder if they'd bother to call a talk show and stay on hold for 20 minutes just to say, "I don't care." But maybe they would.

    Anyway, having been reborn as a casual fan (what you would describe as a non-fan, even though I am a former season ticket holder), I would say, as BBall does, that the second tier of fan ought to be considered.

    The first tier is you, who owns season tickets, subscribes to premium NBA season pass, watches every NBA game he can, knows the names of darn near every one of the 400+ NBA players and half the prospects now in college, reads several out-of-town newspapers every day just to see if there is any NBA news in them, cares enough to look up information before making a post, etc., etc., etc. You really are great, but how many like you are there? Even here on this forum, there are probably fewer that 20 full season ticket holders. In all, there aren't nearly enough real fans to keep the team in the black. That has always been the case in Indiana -- even when the Pacers were flying high. With the exception of the inaugural season at Conseco, the Pacers' total ticket sales have been barely adequate to turn a profit, often depending on sell-outs of extra post-season games to get into the black.

    The Pacers financial situation is tenuous. And the margin between profit and unsustainable losses is the second tier of fans. People who really do like basketball and really do care about the Pacers, but aren't willing to take a bucket of sbit in the face.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  7. #7
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    I have to agree with the the others whose forcasts are a bit gloomy. The die-hards will not be the ones who can save the franchise. It is the occasional fan and "possible convert" that makes or breaks a franchise. We are about to begin, what, the fourth season of "problems". If it continues, we are looking at a real issue of retaining the team. Yes, I remember back in the day when 20+ wins was the norm and attendance stunk but the character issues were not the focal point.

    I was happy with Bird's suspension of Shawne. It always perplexed me how a player so demanding on himself as he was could seemingly be so passive about our issues. I think that's over. And it is an encouraging sign to me no matter how small it may appear. It's the right direction. Whether it's too late remains to be seen.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  8. #8
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,371
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    If the Pacers actually have a good season and players stay out of police reports , you'll be amazed how quickly fan reaction changes.

    Right now with the Pacer personel problems its easy to bash the team. The vast majority of bashers are clueless about who is even on the roster as others have stated. Its very easy to dump on young , majority over paid athletes, yes several have made terrible choices and have been in trouble , but most casual fans lump every player as a thug.

    A 2007-08 Indiana Pacer team who play well and keep noses cleans will go a long way in repairing the damage. But until that time its the thing to do to dump on the team.

  9. #9
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Yes, I remember back in the day when 20+ wins was the norm and attendance stunk but the character issues were not the focal point.
    Yeah, the focal point was "they stink, who cares about them". Not sure that's any better for attendence, which is the topic of debate here, as in "fans won't show up because of the criminal image they have" vs "fans won't show up because this team offers no promise of winning it all".

    Obviously I'm really bitter about the pre-Brown era because the locals didn't respect that roster and laughed at my own interest. Then I had to watch those same yahoos jump on board when they pulled off some big wins. I have trouble respecting those fans or giving a s*** what they think. If I did care what they think I would have boo'd Reggie and dismissed Rik as a loser long before they hit the 2nd round.

    I'm happy to not have been in that group at any point.


    I don't disagree that the team has problems, just that Dun and Troy for Jack proved that image means nothing to fans. No new fans came to see the milk drinkers, no new fans returned when Jack was finally run out of town. This proves that the fans saying that those items were critical to their interest were lying. So why should I listen to them now?


    I mean I here still as a huge fan and I think the team is headed for about 30 wins. You don't have to love the future of the team to be a fan, just ask Cubs fans. A big part of it is the journey even when things get tough. That makes the payoff later all the sweeter.


    My advice - the suspension was good, keep working on minimizing these issues in the press but keep the main focus on finding a way to win games. The only way out is through wins. It has to be the priority still.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 09-14-2007 at 01:34 PM.

  10. #10
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,996

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Pacers actually have a good season and players stay out of police reports , you'll be amazed how quickly fan reaction changes.

    Right now with the Pacer personel problems its easy to bash the team. The vast majority of bashers are clueless about who is even on the roster as others have stated. Its very easy to dump on young , majority over paid athletes, yes several have made terrible choices and have been in trouble , but most casual fans lump every player as a thug.

    A 2007-08 Indiana Pacer team who play well and keep noses cleans will go a long way in repairing the damage. But until that time its the thing to do to dump on the team.
    The problem is that you could've written this post the past several summers. It's the "IF" that keeps tripping them up. Eventually, the pattern becomes recognizable.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  11. #11
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,607

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Moderation in all things is probably good.

    Yes to listen to many of the so called "fans" who want the entire team run out of town on a rail is night right.

    However dismissing the thought that there is a real and growing resentment of the team is not right either.

    Look I hate bandwagon jumpers as much if not more than any of you, however in my entire life I have never seen the reaction this team is getting right now here in the state.

    People aren't just disinterested in them, like they were in the 80's because they were losing, they actually dislike them. In some cases to the point of anger.

    Yes, I know there are plenty of idiots out there. However you can't just discount all of the negative as idiocy right now.

    But this isn't new. The disconnect started in 2000 and it never really gained momentum after that.

    Even the 61 win team didn't bring the excitement to the city that any of the 90's teams did or 60's or early 70's teams did and by pure regular season record that was the best team.

    It only got worse after the brawl and each and every "event" since then has just piled on.

    However all is not lost. Birds quick and decisive action was a start in the right direction.

    I think that one of the biggest problems this franchise is suffering through is that there is a perception (right or wrong I don't know) that management excuses these incidents and therefor is complicant in thier re-occurance.

    Brawl - we were victims, no accountability to our players at all

    strip club - We have to let the legal process play out

    night club - we have to let the legal process play out

    All of this may or may not be true but to a section of the population the three above things translate into "if it feels good do it, there are no consequincases".

    Winning is part of the solution, however as I pointed out about the 61 win team. It's not the only thing.

    They've taken the first step now they just need to keep moving.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your first mistake was listening to a radio show. Your second mistake was listening to a radio show where listeners call in. Your third mistake was listening to a radio show where callers call in and thinking that a few callers speak for the Indianapolis population at large.

    I gave up listening to any local radio call in show (especially after something like this happens). My life is just better this way.

    My guess is those who were saying that they don't care if the team is here in the city or not were never Pacers fans and never cared for them and are using this opportunity to be critical of them


    I totally agree with Buck here!

    I may be all over the place here, but I'm writing this in a little hurry....

    People that are easily influenced with decisions usually make the wrong decisions. This is what BillS assumes that ALL true Indiana Pacer fans think. I think this is how BillS thinks in real life big picture.

    The Pacer franchise is not going anywhere (as in relocation). The Simons have probably already probably committed to sell the franchise to Larry Bird anyway. Good choice-Bad choice ? I don't know or really care right now.

    The truth is that once you bleed blue and gold, like many of us that grew up with the franchise in the 70's, then your a fan of the team no matter what issues arise. Pro Sports do reflect life in many ways as it is so unpredictable.

    Everyone here acts like we are the only sports franchise with these issues.

    I don't want to blame the media, but when every game is available on NBA league pass and the internet has greatly influenced us on the way we watch and evaluate our own sports franchises. The media can and does influence your opinion...ask Bill Clinton.

    Here's an example:

    The Colts were the media darlings-superbowl winner-respectable coach...yadda yadda yadda....yet they had a player (Mike Doss) shooting off a handgun outside of a Columbus, Ohio nightspot last year, another player (Nick Harper) get stabbed in the knee by his wife, another player (Dominic Rhodes) get arrested for DUI right after the superbowl, another player (Monty Reagor) having a Domestic abuse problem...I could go on , that the Colts were hardly choirboys, yet since they brought Indianapolis a championship...everybody LOVED them...why becasue they WON!

    Yet,

    There really isn't any love for our under .500 Pacers...why..

    Just because the Pacers have had some really talented players the last 3 years, yet those players are not from the 1969,72,73,93,94,95,97,98,99,2000 team. Teams with respect, becasue they represented Indianapolis in a good light.....The young players that The Pacer franchise have had issues with are greatly influenced by their upbringing and surroundings. It also happens with friends and relatives. I'm not making excuses for Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Jamal Tinsley or Marquis Daniels... knowing right and wrong is a common sense issue, but because they are not living up to the common sense standards that you think they should you blame the franchise for not knowing about their character or maturity issues....let it be known that Reggie Miller & Dale Davis, yes our Reggie Miller & Dale Davis had character-maturity issues early in both careers that were largely hidden due to more respect by the local media due to the fact they were winning and generally "good guys".

    I'm sure there are some old stories about the old ABA Pacers including Bob Netolicky, George McGinnis and others that would make you take a step back... lots of nutty things going on in that league, but hey it was the ABA, an outlaw league where players like John Brisker, an ABA allstar with the Pittsburgh Condors, would walk into the locker room at the fairgrounds with a loaded handgun.....try doing that today.

    Where are the opinions on these guys at...Since they were winners they represented Indianaplis in a good light. This due to the fact that back in the day the media largely hid a lot of the players activities, especially those on the road....I'm sure a couple of the old beat writers from the 70's could tell you some colorful road stories " off the record".

    So judge as you do, but understand that real fans of a team look at posts like this and just shake their heads. I always wonder who are we to judge what these people do in their spare time, should we really care if they go to a strip bar? After all these guys arn't marrying your daughters are they?

    So in BillS implied opinion until the Pacers trade the whole team away. much like Portland did no one will support them? I disagree BillS If the Pacers star of fast and continue to get better and win, they will be the comeback feel good story in the NBA, maybe in all of sports this year. In the meantime quit trying to push your moralistic views as our-my moralistic views.

    Its all about common sense!

  13. #13
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSMASH View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacer franchise is not going anywhere (as in relocation). The Simons have probably already probably committed to sell the franchise to Larry Bird anyway. Good choice-Bad choice ? I don't know or really care right now.
    Not that this has anything to do with the topic, so apologies...but I keep seeing people talk about Larry Bird possibly buying the team.

    Larry Bird doesn't have $280 million. He could never be more than a Jay-Z-esque minority partner with name recognition. Essentially, he would just be a new, more expensive, new-luxury-box version Adult Boomer again if he was involved.

    /carry on with the thread

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not that this has anything to do with the topic, so apologies...but I keep seeing people talk about Larry Bird possibly buying the team.

    Larry Bird doesn't have $280 million. He could never be more than a Jay-Z-esque minority partner with name recognition. Essentially, he would just be a new, more expensive, new-luxury-box version Adult Boomer again if he was involved.

    /carry on with the thread
    Larry has all the other minority investors he needs all ready lined up...this i know for a fact.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't disagree that the team has problems, just that Dun and Troy for Jack proved that image means nothing to fans. No new fans came to see the milk drinkers, no new fans returned when Jack was finally run out of town. This proves that the fans saying that those items were critical to their interest were lying. So why should I listen to them now?
    The damage was already done by Jackson and Tinsley earlier in the season. I think most people want to get rid of the malcontents, see some new young faces who they can get attached too. Maybe it takes a few years before we start winning again and become a factor in the playoffs but it's probably the only wat to get the casual fans back!

    IT'S TIME TO TRADE JO & TINSLEY!!!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

  16. #16
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSMASH View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry has all the other minority investors he needs all ready lined up...this i know for a fact.
    I don't have any info that says he doesn't...but would you enlighten us?

    Who are these folk? How many are there? How much would Larry be putting up? Where do you know this from? Got any links? Quotes from Larry or Herb/Mel?

    (And despite how it may sound I'm actually not trying to be a di** here in any way...I'm legitimately curious. A lot more so than about traffic stops and faith-based morality debates anyway.)

  17. #17
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My guess is those who were saying that they don't care if the team is here in the city or not were never Pacers fans and never cared for them and are using this opportunity to be critical of them
    I don't like to quote myself, but since so many of you are questioning me on this, I thought I would just quote myself. Notice I'm talking specially (in this situation at least) about callers into a radio show and about them specifically saying they don't care if the team stays in indianapoolis or not. (I didn't hear the show so I don't know what context this was) - just going by BillS description.

    Anyone who wouldn't care if the team is here or not is either an idiot or someone who actually hates the Pacers and or the NBA. Maybe you don't care about the Pacers, but at least you should know that having them here is good for the city - whether you care about the team or not. I do not care 1 once about the Indy 500 or the Brickyard, but I know they are good for the city and I want them back every year.

    Sure, I realize that there is a lot of negativity around the Pacers and from true fans - I don't doubt that for a second nor to do doubt the fans sincerity. But it just seems to me that many fans who call the radio shows are a little disingenuous and opportunistic.

    But I know one thing, callers into a radio show is not a fair representation of what the general public is feeling or thinking. I don't care what the topic.
    I just hear it all the time, someone will listen to one of these shows, here two or three callers and then go around telling people that everyone is saying this or that solely based upon what they heard.

  18. #18
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have any info that says he doesn't...but would you enlighten us?
    John Mellencamp, Don Marsh, and Nancy Irsay. They're trying to get Axl Rose and any of the Jacksons, too.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  19. #19
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't like to quote myself, but since so many of you are questioning me on this, I thought I would just quote myself. Notice I'm talking specially (in this situation at least) about callers into a radio show and about them specifically saying they don't care if the team stays in indianapoolis or not. (I didn't hear the show so I don't know what context this was) - just going by BillS description.

    Anyone who wouldn't care if the team is here or not is either an idiot or someone who actually hates the Pacers and or the NBA. Maybe you don't care about the Pacers, but at least you should know that having them here is good for the city - whether you care about the team or not. I do not care 1 once about the Indy 500 or the Brickyard, but I know they are good for the city and I want them back every year.

    Sure, I realize that there is a lot of negativity around the Pacers and from true fans - I don't doubt that for a second nor to do doubt the fans sincerity. But it just seems to me that many fans who call the radio shows are a little disingenuous and opportunistic.

    But I know one thing, callers into a radio show is not a fair representation of what the general public is feeling or thinking. I don't care what the topic.
    I just hear it all the time, someone will listen to one of these shows, here two or three callers and then go around telling people that everyone is saying this or that solely based upon what they heard.
    How exactly are they good for the city? How is Indianapolis better off than, say, St. Louis, since we have an NBA team and they do not?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  20. #20
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSMASH View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry has all the other minority investors he needs all ready lined up...this i know for a fact.
    Are these the same investors he had when he tried to buy the Charlotte team?

    And to think I was happy when he didn't get it.

  21. #21
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just hear it all the time, someone will listen to one of these shows, here two or three callers and then go around telling people that everyone is saying this or that solely based upon what they heard.
    If the calls were all about the Pacers will be O.K. and we need to support them would you still maintain it wasn't a representation of what people think?

  22. #22
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and any of the Jacksons, too.
    I'm sure Stephen would roll together.

  23. #23
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How exactly are they good for the city? How is Indianapolis better off than, say, St. Louis, since we have an NBA team and they do not?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

  24. #24
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the calls were all about the Pacers will be O.K. and we need to support them would you still maintain it wasn't a representation of what people think?
    Yes

  25. #25
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $46.00!?!?!?!

    Ok - I admit it - I'm bored.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Similar Threads

  1. Some thoughts
    By pianoman in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 12:37 AM
  2. 2 Thoughts I Had
    By Isaac in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 12:53 AM
  3. Where are the Odd Thoughts?
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 06:16 PM
  4. My thoughts on the win
    By ReggieMiller8325 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 03:39 PM
  5. My thoughts
    By Pig Nash in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •