Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Romeo is doing awful in Cleveland, but so did Bill, so what's the difference? Bill was actually ran out of the city.
    Cleveland hated the team because they were leaving the city. They hated Belichick because he decided Bernie Kosar couldn't play anymore. They had little talent, Bill had no control over the roster, they had no home field advantage to speak of and went 7-9

Bill was fired, they moved to Baltimore, and put up 4, 6, and 6 wins.

Bill says he learned a lot by not succeeding in Cleveland (mainly to have input on roster decisions), but to paint it as a colossal failure is a stretch.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    But whatever, neither matters. Some people are coordinators, and great ones at that, but can't run their own team worth a lick.
    And the 80's era Bengals had the two best ever - Lindy Infante on offense and Dick LeBeau on defense.

I just wish Dick hadn't gone back to the Bengals in the late 90s, the Steelers might be working on winning ring #8 or #9 by now.

As for the 2001 AFC championship game, that was all Kordell Stewart throwing away several chances to tie the game in the fourth quarter.

The 2005 Championship, they just plain kicked our *** but with a rookie QB and relatively young team, 15-1 and the AFC Title Game was probably the right outcome for that team.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

The NFL is reportedly considering suspending coach Bill Belichick two or three games and stripping the organization of a first-round pick after the Patriots were found to be videotaping Jets defensive coaches in Week 1.
    Sources tell SI.com's Don Banks and Peter King that the league will hand down disciplinary action on Friday. The NFL has reportedly ruled out forcing the Pats to forfeit their 38-14 win over the Jets, but will "definitely" strip them of a first-day draft choice. If Belichick is suspended, he'll be banned from games and practices until the suspension is up, and will not be paid. Sep. 13 - 7:03 pm et
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=98126&id=3237

Ouch on the first rounder. Hopefully Belichick is suspended after the San Diego game..if he is suspended at all.

Also, did anyone happen to catch what LT2 said about the Pats cheating? Who is he to condemn the Patriots when his teammate was juicing? What a joke.
    Last edited by Moses; 09-13-2007 at 08:03 PM.

UPDATE:
    NFL fined Patriots coach Bill Belichick $500,000, the maximum amount according to league policy, for the use of equipment to videotape the Jets' defensive calls in Week 1.
    The Patriots will also lose a first-round pick in 2008 and be forced to pay $250,000 if they make the playoffs. Sep. 13 - 8:33 pm et
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=98133&id=3237

Fines mean nothing to the fans or the other teams. The loss of a first-rounder is good, but there should have been at least one more pick forfeited, and Belichick should have been suspended 1-2 games.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

So they fined the coach 1/100th what they could have fined the organization.

Here's a better idea: lifetime NFL ban of the guy holding the camera. Nobody would dare point a camera the wrong direction after that.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would have loved to see a win taken away. It could be the difference in home field or not. The money means nothing. The draft pick has to hurt a little, but a win would have been much sweeter.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

Actually, a slight clarification. The Pats give up a first-rounder IF they make the playoffs this year. If they don't, they surrender their 2nd AND 3rd rounders instead.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nevermind that.

Guess I'm OK with the punishment.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Not really much else Goodell could do.

You can't punish the organization (ie Robert Kraft) quite as much as some of you are demanding for three reasons:

1) It's entirely possible Kraft didn't know the extent of it.

2) If they lose a whole bunch of picks, BB can just leave and he's not punished at all.

3) Goodell and Kraft are good friends.

I agree with the punishment, even if what Shade said is true, because there's no way the Pats don't make the playoffs.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I would have rather just been docked the 1st game of the season and not the 1st rounder. Patriots are still going to make the playoffs pretty easily whether they start off 1-0 or 0-1. Fortunately, they still have another 1st rounder next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

New England coach Bill Belichick was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for videotaping an opponent's offensive and defensive signals.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

NFL policy states that "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game" and that all video shooting locations for club coaching purposes "must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

The NFL is being very inconsistent with their discipline. They suspended Dallas asst. coach Wade Wilson 5 games for taking HGH for his diabetes. They also fined him $100,000.00. Dallas gained no competitive advantage and the guy had a prescription.

The Patriots have 2 first round picks next year and only kept 2 total picks from their draft this year. The money is like pocket change for a franchise that well off. Looks like Kraft's friendship with Goodell paid off. A suspension of Belichick should have been part of this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I would have rather just been docked the 1st game of the season and not the 1st rounder. Patriots are still going to make the playoffs pretty easily whether they start off 1-0 or 0-1. Fortunately, they still have another 1st rounder next year.
    Well I am happy that the Pats were punished I wish that they would of awarded the 1st rounder that they Pats will lose to the Jets since they were the victims of the action.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    Well I am happy that the Pats were punished I wish that they would of awarded the 1st rounder that they Pats will lose to the Jets since they were the victims of the action.
    The Jets deserve nothing.

Shouldn't you be out at a bar celebrating that Pennington may not play in week 2 like the rest of the Jets fans? To anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, the Jets fans cheered when Pennington got injured and had trouble walking off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    The Jets deserve nothing.

Shouldn't you be out at a bar celebrating that Pennington may not play in week 2 like the rest of the Jets fans? To anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, the Jets fans cheered when Pennington got injured and had trouble walking off the field.
    Nah, I have better things to do with my time than to cheer when somebody gets hurt. The Jets DO deserve that pick, they were the victims of the offense. They were not as good as the Pats on that day but that doesn't change the fact that the Pats felt they had to cheat to win.

The Jets don't deserve any special compensation, especially not the way they were stomped.

Losing one game is not worthy of getting an extra 1st round pick. Please.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Although it's likely the Jets would have been stomped anyway, apparently Belichik still felt uncomfortable enough to cheat anyway. Not serving a suspension is just a joke IMO.

As to not forfeiting the game, HS and colleges routinely do that when they have an ineligible player. While the Jets don't deserve the first round pick, be sure to ask 'em at wild card time if they wish they had gotten the forfeit.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

The Jets are only a wildcard team if the Bengals, Broncos, Steelers and Jaguars all knock each other out of the playoffs again. Although, the Jets could win the NFC...

Suspending BB in no way ensures that the Patriots would lose a game. That franchise just knows how to get it done from top to bottom.

Speaking of the AFC wildcard teams, which do you guys think is most likely to make the leap into the elite this year? None of the ones that Jay listed really scare me. Maybe the Broncos/Steelers. I think the Ravens might fall from the elite, too.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

With Ray Lewis and Jonathan Ogden possibly out for the year, I would say that the Ravens have the real chance of slipping down this year. McNair is put together with modelling glue and paper clips at this point and their receiving corps is mediocre. I think Tennessee, Jacksonville and even Houston, yes Houston, has a chance of jumping up, although I would have to be shown that their O-line is significantly better than in previous years. Their defense could be very good.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior View Post
    Although it's likely the Jets would have been stomped anyway, apparently Belichik still felt uncomfortable enough to cheat anyway. Not serving a suspension is just a joke IMO.

As to not forfeiting the game, HS and colleges routinely do that when they have an ineligible player. While the Jets don't deserve the first round pick, be sure to ask 'em at wild card time if they wish they had gotten the forfeit.
    That's how I always view these cheating situations when the defenders step in with "it didn't matter." The response is "then why did they do it". Obviously the CHEATER disagrees with the the POV that it didn't matter. Someone might say it had no impact, but NFL genius BB clearly disagrees with that view.

Just like Sammy and the cork. You can show that it doesn't really help but the point is that the cheater THOUGHT it did and was willing to break the rules and risk punishment to try it. I tend to think the people in the mix have a better feel for what is worth a risk or not, especially a guy as saavy (but immoral) as Bill B.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Speaking of the AFC wildcard teams, which do you guys think is most likely to make the leap into the elite this year? None of the ones that Jay listed really scare me. Maybe the Broncos/Steelers. I think the Ravens might fall from the elite, too.
    With injuries, a couple key defections, and a more difficult (first-place) schedule, the Ravens will go back to where they belong: third in the division. Doubt they get the wildcard. There were four AFC teams that missed the playoffs last year (in part due to strength of schedule, especially strength of schedule over the past month of the season) that were better then and now versus last season's AFC wild card teams. Maybe not Jacksonville, not sure what's going on with them.

I think the Broncos keep slipping from two years ago, but the Patriots are on the rebound and (hopefully) the Steelers have figured out how to not turn the ball over like they did in Games #2-7 last season, so the AFC playoffs are still going to be fiercly competitive and the SuperBowl will be a snoozer. Especially since nobody knows what to expect from San Diego in the playoffs, but everybody expects them to be in the playoffs.

I think they're about to do what the 15-1 Steelers and 14-2 Colts did - break through to the Super Bowl a year their great regular season performance. Somebody else is going to be the #1 seed this year and taste disappointment. In the AFC, there are a lot of great teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    That's how I always view these cheating situations when the defenders step in with "it didn't matter." The response is "then why did they do it".
    The Patriots (and most analysts) are saying that it (taping in THIS game)didn't matter to this game, since the guy taping was stopped in the 1st quarter (score 7-7) before any of the tape he had made of the defensive calls on New England's first offensive possession could have possibly been analyzed.

Taping the signals obviously did have a potential benefit to New England, but that benefit would be gained either in the rematch or in halftime adjustments after viewing the tape that had been confiscated and was thus not available for review.

In a nutshell, they were caught cheating but importantly they were caught before they could have made any use of the illegally obtained information.

If anyone could prove that they taped the Jets illegally last year and used that information in last Sunday's game, then you would have a strong argument for forfeiture. Also, if they guy was caught taping in the 4th quarter after taping the whole game, then there would be a strong argument for that, particularly if there had been some amazing halftime adjustments.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 09-14-2007 at 01:54 PM.