Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 150

Thread: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,311

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Earlier this week, I spoke with Commissioner Goodell about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules.
    Hopefully I'm just reading this wrong because otherwise it sounds like the coach was in full support of what took place.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  2. #27
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    to expand upon tom's post...

    Belichick Apologizes for Spying Flap

    from The Associated Press

    Patriots coach Bill Belichick apologized Wednesday for the commotion surrounding his team following accusations that his club spied on the Jets during New England's season-opening victory in New York.

    Belichick said he spoke with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell this week about a "videotaping procedure" during last Sunday's game and "my interpretation of the rules."

    "At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling," Belichick said in a statement. "Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league's decision, I will have further comment."

    At a news conference, Belichick refused to answer questions about the accusations, saying he said all he could in his statement. When pressed for a response, Belichick replied: "Are there any questions about the Chargers? Anyone want to talk about the football game?"
    The Patriots play San Diego on Sunday night.

    The coach's statement follows a report that the NFL is considering punishing the Patriots for spying.

    ESPN.com, citing league sources, reported Tuesday that Goodell has determined the Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the Jets' coaches. But the report also said the Patriots have not yet presented their case to the league.

    The Web site's report said Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks."

    A league spokesman, however, said only that an investigation is under way. Both teams said no decision has been made.

    NFL security confiscated a video camera and tape from a Patriots employee during New England's 38-14 victory. The employee was accused of aiming his camera at the Jets' defensive coaches as they signaled to players on the field.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14345022
    This is the darkest timeline.

  3. #28
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully I'm just reading this wrong because otherwise it sounds like the coach was in full support of what took place.
    Yep. That's how I read that statement too.

    This wasn't some sort of accident. It was planned, from the head coach on down. They thought they found a loophole in the letter of the rules and were trying to exploit it.

    If that's the case, a forfeit and MULTIPLE draft picks is probably the bare minimum.

    I'm not so naive to believe that teams don't look for an edge all of the time, but this sounds like it went WAY over the line.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  4. #29

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...a forfeit and MULTIPLE draft picks is probably the bare minimum.
    Chris Mortensen thinks a forfeit is very unlikely:

    http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=17201


    Alan (NY, NY): As a Jet fan I hope that Goodell decides that the Patriots must forfeit the game to the Jets. Is that likely?

    Chris Mortensen: I wouldn't count on that, at all. The camera was confiscated relatively early in the game and certainly wasn't deciphered. The Patriots have a pretty good team. I think they can beat most anybody without the aid of stealing signals and what-have-you...and that's the shame of putting things at risk. The players don't deserve to have their excellence and achievements tainted. Again, I don't see a forfeit.



    ----
    I can see them losing a 1st round pick, a second day pick, a big monetary fine, and a Belichick 3 game or so suspension.

    That would be enough to certainly get the attention of the other teams who are also doing this or who might consider something doing something similar.

  5. #30
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chris Mortensen: I wouldn't count on that, at all. The camera was confiscated relatively early in the game and certainly wasn't deciphered. The Patriots have a pretty good team. I think they can beat most anybody without the aid of stealing signals and what-have-you...and that's the shame of putting things at risk. The players don't deserve to have their excellence and achievements tainted. Again, I don't see a forfeit.

    ----
    I can see them losing a 1st round pick, a second day pick, a big monetary fine, and a Belichick 3 game or so suspension.
    .

    I wasn't looking at the forfeit as a "Jets would won" thing, but as a punishment thing.

    I think you're right, though, a Belichick suspension is probably more likely.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  6. #31

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    the other problem with a forfeit is the potential for unintended consequences for "rewarding" the Jets.

    If the Jets won the wildcard playoff spot by a game, for instance, because of the forfeit, and another team would then be penalized most of all by missing the playoffs only because the Jets won a game by forfeit.

    I think that it would also be unprecedented in American pro sports history to change the outcome of a completed game.

    It would be a huge huge statement, but would probably be overdoing it.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 09-12-2007 at 02:10 PM.

  7. #32
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Belichick has always been a dick. Dick.
    That is an insult to dicks everywhere.

  8. #33
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the other problem with a forfeit is the potential for unintended consequences for "rewarding" the Jets.

    If the Jets won the wildcard playoff spot by a game, for instance, because of the forfeit, and another team would then be penalized most of all by missing the playoffs only because the Jets won a game by forfeit.
    The camera was apparently confiscated early in the game. Not to mention, Randy Moss was beating triple and double coverage all game.

  9. #34

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    I think people are also forgetting the part about how their was very suspicious radio activity taking place in the Pats camp that they failed to be able to explain. That's getting just as much play around here as anything. Well, except the, "Hey, if you wanna get back to the top, anything is okay" angle.

  10. #35
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think people are also forgetting the part about how their was very suspicious radio activity taking place in the Pats camp that they failed to be able to explain. That's getting just as much play around here as anything. Well, except the, "Hey, if you wanna get back to the top, anything is okay" angle.
    could you elaborate?
    This is the darkest timeline.

  11. #36
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    could you elaborate?
    The Patriots' cameraman was suspected of aiming his camera at the Jets' defensive coaches who were sending signals to their unit on the field, the sources said. The league also is investigating some radio frequency issues that occurred during the game.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012989

    That's all ESPN has to say about it.

  12. #37
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Let me put his as delicately as possible. I positively cannot stand Bill Belichick. That's PC for I HATE HIM!!!

    On Mike & Mike they were talking about how much they respect him because he respects the game. I say Bull Poop.

    I have absolutely no respect for the man. It has nothing to do with the fact that until last year New England had the Colts' number. I think he's an ego maniacal piece of .

    A man who respects the game doesn't dress like a homeless man on the sidelines. A man who respects the game doesn't give one word answers to questions at a post game press conference after his team loses. A man who respects the game certainly doesn't continue to cheat even when the commissioner has warned the league that cheating will not be tolerated. It reeks of "I'm me and I'm above the rules."

    I'm not saying he has to be Tony Dungy. I'm just saying treating people with respect instead of looking at them like they're a piece of crap on his shoe would be an improvement.

  13. #38
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A man who respects the game certainly doesn't continue to cheat even when the commissioner has warned the league, and specifically the Patroits because of the incident in Green Bay last year, that cheating will not be tolerated.
    Fixed.

    We gotta remember, this isn't the first time around the block for this type of cheating from the Pats. Green Bay kicked the same exact guy out last year for video taping them on the sidelines, and they were specifically looking for him because other teams had told them NE was doing it.

    This isn't a one time thing. It's known league wide and they just got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. The punishment should be very stiff since all the accusations have just been proven true.

  14. #39
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,173

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    So Belichick is trying to defend himself by saying he didn't realize that videotaping an opposing team's signals (not to mention trying to eavsdrop on them through altered radio frequencies) was illegal?

  15. #40

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me put his as delicately as possible. I positively cannot stand Bill Belichick. That's PC for I HATE HIM!!!

    On Mike & Mike they were talking about how much they respect him because he respects the game. I say Bull Poop.

    I have absolutely no respect for the man. It has nothing to do with the fact that until last year New England had the Colts' number. I think he's an ego maniacal piece of .

    A man who respects the game doesn't dress like a homeless man on the sidelines. A man who respects the game doesn't give one word answers to questions at a post game press conference after his team loses. A man who respects the game certainly doesn't continue to cheat even when the commissioner has warned the league that cheating will not be tolerated. It reeks of "I'm me and I'm above the rules."

    I'm not saying he has to be Tony Dungy. I'm just saying treating people with respect instead of looking at them like they're a piece of crap on his shoe would be an improvement.
    Damn straight. The man is an arrogant tool, and frankly I can't wait for the day he leaves football (hopefully in some embarrassing manner). He is a douchebag.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  16. #41
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,173

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me put his as delicately as possible. I positively cannot stand Bill Belichick. That's PC for I HATE HIM!!!

    On Mike & Mike they were talking about how much they respect him because he respects the game. I say Bull Poop.

    I have absolutely no respect for the man. It has nothing to do with the fact that until last year New England had the Colts' number. I think he's an ego maniacal piece of .

    A man who respects the game doesn't dress like a homeless man on the sidelines. A man who respects the game doesn't give one word answers to questions at a post game press conference after his team loses. A man who respects the game certainly doesn't continue to cheat even when the commissioner has warned the league that cheating will not be tolerated. It reeks of "I'm me and I'm above the rules."

    I'm not saying he has to be Tony Dungy. I'm just saying treating people with respect instead of looking at them like they're a piece of crap on his shoe would be an improvement.
    QFT

    The guy is classless, a sore loser, and a cheater.

  17. #42
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012989

    That's all ESPN has to say about it.
    thanks, must have missed that last line somehow.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  18. #43

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thanks, must have missed that last line somehow.
    There was more to it than that, but can't find it on ESPN. It's been discussed on local radio a lot around here.

  19. #44
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    I love this. The good ol Patriot prestige is taking such a hit. They're still an excellent franchise with great eyes for talent... but now they're also cheaters. And repeat offenders, at that. Makes me proud to root for a guy like Dungy and the rest of the Colts.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  20. #45
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me put his as delicately as possible. I positively cannot stand Bill Belichick. That's PC for I HATE HIM!!!

    On Mike & Mike they were talking about how much they respect him because he respects the game. I say Bull Poop.

    I have absolutely no respect for the man. It has nothing to do with the fact that until last year New England had the Colts' number. I think he's an ego maniacal piece of .

    A man who respects the game doesn't dress like a homeless man on the sidelines. A man who respects the game doesn't give one word answers to questions at a post game press conference after his team loses. A man who respects the game certainly doesn't continue to cheat even when the commissioner has warned the league that cheating will not be tolerated. It reeks of "I'm me and I'm above the rules."

    I'm not saying he has to be Tony Dungy. I'm just saying treating people with respect instead of looking at them like they're a piece of crap on his shoe would be an improvement.
    Yep. Like I said earlier anyone with any sense knows that the Patriots may be talented, but they are not classy. They are about as classless as they come. From people like Belichick to players like R. Harrison the Pats are full of no class posers who have ridden Brady's coat tails (and possibly other advantages) to multiple championships. Belichick is not some genius and never has been.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. #46
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Belichick is not some genius and never has been.

    SHHHH! You can't mention his complete failures while being a coach for other franchises.

  22. #47
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is a douchebag.
    That's an insult to du....on second thought you're right.

  23. #48
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    I think he's a great coach AND a cheater. Which makes it all the more sad he stooped to this.

  24. #49

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...trying to eavsdrop on them through altered radio frequencies) was illegal?


    Where did you get that from the espn blurb mentioning "radio frequency issues" during the game.

    That seems to be a huge leap, to assume from that little tidbit that they were actually intercepting coach-QB communications.

    Since your inherent assumption is that the Patriots are pure evil, I guess it is not surprising, but I would have expected that since the Brady/Manning championship ring ratio decreased dramatically from infinity to 3 that there would not be such open hatred anymore.

  25. #50
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pats suspected of stealing Jets' signals

    Brady never has been, nor never will be a better QB than Peyton, so how does that have anything to do with the argument?

Similar Threads

  1. Pats vs. Jets
    By Shade in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
  2. Jets Beat Pats!!!
    By DrBadd01 in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 05:15 PM
  3. I'm stealing a line from Uncle Buck...
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •