Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IT'S GAME DAY!

Default Re: IT'S GAME DAY!

That was the #1 offense in the NFL last year, folks and our D just gave up 3 points to them!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    cough...coreysimon...cough
    He was still golden...

* Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Im not going to lie, i thought the Colts were a bit overrated going into the season but they were pretty damn impressive tonight. Their offense looks great as usual but their D, WOW. A huge improvement. Kudos to the Colts. No one expected that type of performance from them. Although im rather pissed since Duece is on my fantasy team.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    theres no way IN HELL you are serious.

I think this game kinda proved I am serious. Keiaho is a mean tackler. Honestly, he looks like one of the better LBs we've had. There's a reason the Colts staff was high on him.

And yes Mal, I am indeed back in town. yay

As for the game, what an effort by this D. They went out and proved that they are a better team now than they were before. Those losses will turn out to be a blessing, as we have much more physical players in Hayden, Jackson, and Keiaho.

And Ugoh did a very good job against Smith tonight. Just a great all around effort.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    YOU - you are going to a Colts game. Wait a minute is there a basketball exhibition at halftime?

You probably won't like it. I doubt much defense is going to be played.

And oh yeah - being under the radar is a good place.
    Yeh I know. One thing that bothers me though is when the crowd chants R E G G I E. That bothers me, because that should be reserved for only one Reggie in this town. Football does bore me, but the Colts are really good. But between the long and exhausting pregame stuff and all the dead times duying a typical NFL game - I just get really bored

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Looks like we're still a second half team.
    I was at the game so I couldn't jump in but honestly it was a lot like the AFC CG where really the Colts were winning most of the battles but were behind due to a couple of quirky plays.

Bend don't break is the defense and that was working well. So the Saints drove somewhat in the first, they never got anything consistantly going and the point of bend don't break is to force enough plays that eventually you get the TO or the bad play and the drive ends.

In this game you had the very unusual Wayne fumble for 50 yd TD which will NEVER happen again, and you had Sanders just miss a pick that clearly would have gone the other way on the drive that ended up being 3 for the Saints. There were a couple of other moments like that as well, plenty of near misses.

Heck, Peyton just missed a long throw to Anthony over the middle and forced a miss to Wayne when he had Dallas wide open on the sidelines.

So to me in the end it wasn't like they were better in the 2nd half, they just stayed the same and the breaks ran out for the Saints, the same thing that happened to New England last year.

Rob Morris is a monster. When did that happen? OLB really suits him it seems. He had a couple of amazing plays where it was all his ability to pursue and dodge blocks. Most guys get slower 8 years in but Rob looks to be at his best right now.

Secondary, A+ effort. So what the Saints dinked and dunked underneath, in the end they pushed their luck with it and got burned.

When a double shot of Deuce and Bush is coming at you and you don't even give up 100 total on the ground I think it's safe to say your run defense is as good as the playoffs last year suggested. I think half their rushing came off gimmicks like double reverse runs, they rarely were able to straight up run on the Colts.

Oh yeah, Ugoh looked great in preseason to me, but he came through even better tonight. He even threw in a FALSE START...it was like Glenn didn't retire at all.

Buck, you really have to troop it out to put up with NBC THR/SUN night special game level of TV timeouts, brutally long even by NFL standards. Every 5 minutes Mr. Orange Hands is out there holding up play again...ugh. I love Reggie but I agree with you, get a different cheer for him, this is Miller's town still.

I do like that Wayne has his pre-game ritual to come down to his corner and fire up the fans. Right from the start he's made the effort to connect and I guess the chant is part of that paying off.

Colts looked very good tonight.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

After a while I just started telling my friends who watched the game with me. "well, looks like it's 3rd and Jason David"....sure enough. I can't tell ya how nice it is to be on the other end of that situation for once.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    After a while I just started telling my friends who watched the game with me. "well, looks like it's 3rd and Jason David"....sure enough. I can't tell ya how nice it is to be on the other end of that situation for once.
    Haha, I don't think I've seen a corner in the league blow his man to man coverage so badly. Wayne didn't even have to try for his first TD. Jason David needs to just focus on his WR rather then looking at the QB trying to jump the ball and get a pick. A batted pass is better then a TD because you were trying to make a play and bit on a pump fake or just lost track of your WR.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Polian continues to show why he is quite possibly the best GM in the NFL. Addai is going to run for 1500 yards this season and Ugoh looked very, very good. Gonzalez struggled, but he has more than enough time to get familiar with the offense no reason to rush. Kenton Keith is certainly a pleasant surprise tonight. Oh and Bob Sanders>>>>>>>>all. Seriously our defense is incredible when he plays. Sanders, Bethea, Jackson, and Hayden are all such sure tacklers out of the secondary that makes up for Ed Johnson having to start at DT. Also I'm glad to see Rob Morris has found a place in this D. He fits in very well as an OLB. This team is good, in fact its scary good. And all they've been listening to all offseason is how good the Patriots and Chargers will be. Basically we got to win the Super Bowl and still get disrespected all offseason, I'm thrilled.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Haha, I don't think I've seen a corner in the league blow his man to man coverage so badly. Wayne didn't even have to try for his first TD. Jason David needs to just focus on his WR rather then looking at the QB trying to jump the ball and get a pick. A batted pass is better then a TD because you were trying to make a play and bit on a pump fake or just lost track of your WR.
    Jason David doesn't work as a one on one cover corner. He has to be in a zone with a very good safety covering his rear.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

If this game was played last season it would be the best you'd played all season. Only knock I can really come up with is that Freeney still sells out on obvious running downs. First half was a bit sloppy but still not bad.

Other than that it would be picking nits. And your defensive replacements were very, very impressive, especially Freddie K.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Wow, that was surprising. I guess were still pretty good. Tony Ugoh didn't look that great against Will Smith though.

Hard to have a problem with last night's game. Just keep it going through February!

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    Wow, that was surprising. I guess were still pretty good. Tony Ugoh didn't look that great against Will Smith though.
    Smith's a Pro-Bowler. He did OK for a rookie playing one-on-one against him in his first NFL game. I don't recall him getting much help against him - though I guess they wouldn't replay when Smith got no rush.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    That was the #1 offense in the NFL last year, folks and our D just gave up 3 points to them!
    I know it's been said but it's worth repeating. The young guys on defense are hungrier, more athletic, and quicker than the guys that they replaced. I'm excited about the Colts "D" for the first time since Barry Krauss was on the team!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I think we can actually look at a healthy D this year too. When you have that many players that can make big plays, it helps everyone because they can just concentrate on their own job, instead of trying to extended their presence and coverup the holes. Will their be some injuries? Of course, but I don't think we're going to see the tears and other injuries that usually go hand in hand with completely worn down bodies.

Also, my God the whole secondary just pounds the recievers and punishes them with hits. Unless it was just a really quick swing or something by the Saints, there were 4-5 Colts just swarming the ball, and every single one was looking to knock the reciever into next week.

I think that Marlin Jackson and Hayden are going to be the solution at the corners for several years to come. I think we are going to be fine there. Of course there is the sentimental value with them too, as they probably have the 2 biggest interceptions in Indianapolis Colt history.

I am really excited about this season. Did anyone notice yesterday that Bob Kravitz had in his prediction column this team losing *four* straight games at one point in the season? He had us losing to Jacksonville, Carolina, New England, and SD consecutively...and then losing to Baltimore later in the year to go 11-5.

This team will *NEVER* lose 4 straight games as presently constructed. This team will never lose 3 straight games as constructed. We are too well coached and have too good personel. I realize that Kravitz can't have us going 16-0 in his prediction, but come on...4 straight loses for this team at any point is unfathomable.

Our linebackers were pretty awesome last night as well. Two plays that stick out for me were the one that the NO lineman tried to bury Keiaho and Freddy just went under and grabbed the ball carrier's legs and brought him down with the lineman still on him and the other was when Bush looked like he was going to turn the corner and Morris collared him for no gain. Our defense made Reggie Bush look slow.
    CRUNCH!:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yeh I know. One thing that bothers me though is when the crowd chants R E G G I E. That bothers me, because that should be reserved for only one Reggie in this town. Football does bore me, but the Colts are really good. But between the long and exhausting pregame stuff and all the dead times duying a typical NFL game - I just get really bored
    Yeah, too bad that Reggie doesn't play anymore...and if he did it'd be in Boston....

Quote Originally Posted by JO4MVP2006 View Post
    Im not going to lie, i thought the Colts were a bit overrated going into the season but they were pretty damn impressive tonight. Their offense looks great as usual but their D, WOW. A huge improvement. Kudos to the Colts. No one expected that type of performance from them. Although im rather pissed since Duece is on my fantasy team.
    Thanks, maybe it was just me but I failed to see how we were being overrated. We just won the Super Bowl, that has to mean something. Had ESPN or whatever been hyping us? I really don't pay much attention to that sad excuse of a sports channel.

theres no way IN HELL you are serious.
    Well last year you said the Colts just aren't that good, so there is probably a way IN HELL he's serious....
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 09-12-2007 at 06:20 PM.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

and the other was when Bush looked like he was going to turn the corner and Morris collared him for no gain.
    No kidding. I mean Rob ran down Bush. How the F does that happen? And earlier he pursued the run through a line gap from the opposite side to make an at the line tackle. Plus he tracked down that punt return when it was only Hunter after that, basically saving a TD.

Ugoh on APro Smith looked fine to me. How many sacks did Smith get? Early in the game they ran right behind Ugah, with Keith for example right after Addai went out. Looked pretty good to me, but maybe I'm partial to 7 yard gains.

The ONLY thing that saved Brees from getting blown up was the Saints' refusal to pass the ball more than 10 yards down field at a time. He and Mathis were closing that out many times.

That's classic Cover 2, make a team flawlessly execute 10-15 plays in a row in order to score rather than 5 or 6. Sooner or later a mistake pops up and ruins the drive. When you can only nip off 5-6 yards on a pass you are constantly in jeopardy of even a false start halting your drive, and eventually even a TO or 2 will show up. That's just what happened to NO last night.

Might keep Dwight and Mathis from stuffing the box score but it's not going to win the game.

It was pretty telling to me when NO wouldn't come off the short game even down 24 in the 4th quarter.

Mood

Keiaho suprised me. I dont think he can keep it up tho. And @ Jason David.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Keiaho suprised me. I dont think he can keep it up tho. And @ Jason David.
    I just remember seeing him clown after the TD, and I was like, "Uh oh, Jason."
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I didn't want to pile on David for going to the Saints because he always played hard for us and it was probably his only chance at decent free agent money and still be on a winning team. But the showboating and the shush to the crowd on his fumble return was very bad karma (for him).

It's just suicide to try to cover Marvin or Reggie one on one without over the top safety help. When are people going to learn that some these Colt's system players aren't worth nearly as much plugged into other systems. Nick Harper next on the docket.