Thread: The Future for the Fever

Hybrid View

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Future for the Fever

First of all, the injury to Catch looked really bad...career altering bad. I'm really worried about it. Kravtiz says:

"The latest medical word was this: a possible torn Achilles tendon. The worst news of all. She may not be back for a very long time. Even the 2008 Beijing Olympics are very much up in the air."
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS01/709040389

Second, apparently Catchings, DeForge, Sam, Tamika Whitmore and Tammy Sutton-Brown are unrestricted free agents now. Ack!
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS05/709040388

Does anyone have any idea if Catch and company have any particular leanings? I'm sure there are multiple teams that would love to take her off our hands, provided she heals up well.

Man. It really feels like this was the year.

Last edited by gummy; 09-04-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Future for the Fever

Swin Cash had the same injury 3 years ago...

she took about 2 years to get any kind of effectiveness back, and she's still not nearly the same player she was pre-2004.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

woman without a team

I can't imagine that Catchings would want to leave. That would be like Reggie leaving.

Depending on how much she gets paid to play in Europe I suppose there is a scenario where she decide she'd be better off to follow the money, but because she is close to her family I don't see her doing it.

As for her injury it scares the hell out of me. At this particular time I prefer to bury my head in the sand and not think about what it could mean for her and the team.
    Last edited by grace; 09-04-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Unless the team is really, really committed to THIS team, it's going to be tough to keep it together.

I hate this for Catch. I mean, she is such a great person - just not right.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Wow. I thought she aggravated her previous injury.

But to have two injuries like those two -- on the same foot!

Bad Luck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by carpediem024 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. I thought she aggravated her previous injury.

But to have two injuries like those two -- on the same foot!

Bad Luck
    The same foot would have made sense - compensating and all - but it's actually the other foot/ankle.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The future looks grim. Like "the past three Pacers' seasons" grim.

I also thought this was our year.

woman without a team

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/07090...gssurgery.html

News Release | September 4, 2007
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INDIANAPOLIS – U.S. Olympic gold medalist and five-time WNBA All-Star forward Tamika Catchings will undergo surgery on Wednesday, Sept. 5, to repair a torn Achilles tendon sustained during the second quarter of Monday night’s Eastern Conference Finals loss in Detroit.
    Catchings collapsed to the floor with 43.2 seconds remaining in the first half. She was taken from the floor in a wheelchair, and flew back to Indianapolis late Monday night with team physician Dr. David Harsha.

Surgery will be performed by Dr. Dan Lehman, affiliated with St.Vincent Sports Medicine, and Orthopedics of Indianapolis. Catchings’ anticipated recovery time following surgery is between six and nine months.

A top candidate for WNBA MVP honors through the first half of the 2007 season, Catchings missed the final 13 games of the regular season after sustaining a partial tear of the plantar fascia in her left foot. She made a successful return to the court just in time for the first round of the WNBA Playoffs, averaging 19.7 points and 15.3 rebounds in a 2-1 first-round series win over Connecticut. Catchings posted double-doubles in all three games of the series. Her 46 rebounds were a WNBA record for a 3-game playoff series, and her 20 rebounds in Game 1 of the series, her first game back from injury, was the second-best playoff figure ever.

In 21 games, she finished the regular season with an average of 16.9 points, and career-best figures of 9.0 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game. She topped the WNBA with 3.1 steals per contest and led the Fever in scoring, rebounds, steals and assists for a sixth straight season. With Catchings in the lineup, Indiana raced to a 16-4 record to begin the year – the best 20-game mark in Eastern Conference history.

The Fever finished the regular season 21-13 for a third consecutive year, becoming the first Eastern Conference team ever to boast three straight 20-win seasons. The Fever outlasted Connecticut to advance to the Eastern Finals for the second time in three seasons, but after winning Game 1 of the best-of-three series against Detroit, lost Games 2 and 3.
    I read in a follow up article that it was a complete tear of the tendon. The doctor said the surgery went fine.